Declan Rice

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234235236237238 306>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2018 at 9:48pm
Originally posted by Trigboy 10 Trigboy 10 wrote:

Originally posted by TonyNotJack TonyNotJack wrote:

Kevin Kilbane names what he thinks are the English born players who would have always played for Ireland and never considered England :

Himself
Gary Breen
Alan Mclaughlin
David Connolly
Rory Delap

I found Delap the most surprising.
its McLoughlin 
It's McLoughlin...
Sponsored Links

Trigboy 10 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trigboy 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2018 at 9:47pm

Kevin Kilbane names what he thinks are the English born players who would have always played for Ireland and never considered England :

Himself
Gary Breen
Alan Mclaughlin
David Connolly
Rory Delap

its McLoughlin 

Edited by Trigboy 10 - 30 Aug 2018 at 9:47pm
gazurtoids View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gazurtoids Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2018 at 9:41pm

Himself
Gary Breen
Alan Mclaughlin
David Connolly
Rory Delap

So basically ones that would never have had a hope in hell of playing for England (probably not even top half Premiership) ......I've always felt young English players with ambition to go right to the top would never choose Ireland if the opportunity was there.......look at all the recent England Internationals who could have played for us, there are scores of them...it was never on

even the likes of Patrick Bamford switched back pretty much when he got a move from Forest to Chelsea......it's just the way it is
Dugs View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dugs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2018 at 9:38pm
Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

Himself
Gary Breen
Alan Mclaughlin
David Connolly
Rory Delap

I found Delap the most surprising

I assume they all qualified through their parents rather than grandparents?

Breen and kilbanes parents were both irish i think. Connolly defo had 1 irish parent if i remember. Not sure bout delap and mcloughlin.
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2018 at 9:35pm

Himself
Gary Breen
Alan Mclaughlin
David Connolly
Rory Delap

I assume they all qualified through their parents rather than grandparents?

TonyNotJack View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyNotJack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2018 at 9:29pm

Himself
Gary Breen
Alan Mclaughlin
David Connolly
Rory Delap

NewtNewbie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewtNewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2018 at 9:19pm
He's still only 19, and it seems O'Neill had intimated that he was willing to let him drop down to the U-21s for the Germany match after the seniors' game with Wales.

https://m.independent.ie/sport/soccer/international-soccer/daniel-mcdonnell-ireland-have-to-be-patient-with-rice-but-must-learn-lessons-from-challenge-of-second-season-37224742.html ;

Anyway, realistically, as with Grealish, he'd only be playing U-21 football for the foreseeable if he elected to defect to the English.
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2018 at 9:05pm
Originally posted by NewtNewbie NewtNewbie wrote:

Let's not kid ourselves here; he's gone and it's time to let go. He's refusing to play for the U-21s in two hugely important qualifying games even though that wouldn't be tying him to anything.

He's a senior national now.
Playing u21's is a backward step, he hypothetically would have started the game next week against Wales.

Even if he did play for the u21's, and ended up deciding to play for England, it would be a serious case of rubbing our noses in it, which I doubt he would do.

I genuinely think he's put under serious pressure because of the club situation.

He's still a very young lad probably being coerced in making a decision he's not comfortable with, hopefully with a bit of time and space, he'll make the correct decision.

Edited by horsebox - 30 Aug 2018 at 9:06pm
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Trigboy 10 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trigboy 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2018 at 9:02pm
Originally posted by Gabrieléire Gabrieléire wrote:

Originally posted by scottyccfc scottyccfc wrote:

I said this after Grealish and got hammered but I still believe it. Under 21 squads should only be domestic based players (From any national background with Irish qualification) and Irish born players abroad. If an English born Irish man playing abroad wants to play for Ireland they can wait until the seniors come calling.

Ridiculous point. I’ve friends who are English born who would do anything to win a cap for Ireland, even underage. Just because Rice seems to not feel irish all of a sudden doesn’t mean there isn’t genuine, English born Irish people out there. Wouldn’t imagine the likes of that comment would go down well with members of the London Irish supporters club or Erdibgton Sc 
True! Some great lads in Erdington they'd be some of our most passionate supporters

Edited by Trigboy 10 - 30 Aug 2018 at 9:02pm
Gabrieléire View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gabrieléire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2018 at 8:05pm

I said this after Grealish and got hammered but I still believe it. Under 21 squads should only be domestic based players (From any national background with Irish qualification) and Irish born players abroad. If an English born Irish man playing abroad wants to play for Ireland they can wait until the seniors come calling.

Ridiculous point. I’ve friends who are English born who would do anything to win a cap for Ireland, even underage. Just because Rice seems to not feel irish all of a sudden doesn’t mean there isn’t genuine, English born Irish people out there. Wouldn’t imagine the likes of that comment would go down well with members of the London Irish supporters club or Erdibgton Sc 

Edited by Gabrieléire - 30 Aug 2018 at 8:11pm
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2018 at 8:02pm

So we deny guys the chance to play for the country that they may well identify as their own simply because they're eligible for another? I'm sure that wouldn't be in the slightest alienating...

Taking your point to it's logical conclusion, we'd also have to exclude Irish-born players like Bazunu simply because they're eligible for another nations too... Its an absolutely idiotic suggestion which would do more harm than good, and you were rightly hammered for suggesting something that is so blatently discriminatory.

Edited by The O'Shea - 30 Aug 2018 at 8:03pm
We're decent enough..
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2018 at 7:58pm
Has he actually refused to play for the U-21's, or hashe simply not been picked due to the overall circumstances?
We're decent enough..
scottyccfc View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scottyccfc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2018 at 7:57pm
Hometown football, cant beat the feeling...
NewtNewbie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewtNewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2018 at 7:54pm
Let's not kid ourselves here; he's gone and it's time to let go. He's refusing to play for the U-21s in two hugely important qualifying games even though that wouldn't be tying him to anything. Even Grealish didn't go that far; he stayed involved in the underage set up while he was 'deliberating', even accepting an award. It's a case of him letting us down gently, the equivalent of a trial separation, where your girlfriend's mind's fully made up on wanting to leave you but, thinking she's doing you a favour, does it in stages, cruelly giving you false hope. Any potential switch will take some months to go through anyway - the wheels are have probably already been set in motion. He'll hope a lot of the fuss will have died down by then. The hard part's already over. He hunkered down for a couple of days, switching his Twitter account to private having steeled himself for the negative response he'd receive from many. That storm has been weathered now. At best he'll get into England's U-21 set-up, where Aidy Boothroyd is their head coach, his Watford and Northampton sides being known for playing some of the crudest, most old-fashioned, lowbrow, basic and direct football seen in English football over the last twenty years. A significant step up from Keane and O'Neill's antediluvian approach, in other words.

I have to say, this whole situation has really depressed me. It's extinguished a lot of the hope I had for the national team going forward, having fallen out of love with club football some time ago. My enthusiasm for the sport I was once so enamoured with has taken a huge hit. It's become all so cynical and money oriented.

Edited by NewtNewbie - 30 Aug 2018 at 7:55pm
Strazdas View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strazdas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2018 at 6:27pm
Really it's up to Rice to put this to bed very quickly. He'll look ridiculous as a senior Irish player if he's refusing to commit to either team and won't say who he wants to play for. A delay of months would tell us he's not committed to us anyway. He hasn't got the luxury of being a dual nationality player who has never been capped.
SeanG4393 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeanG4393 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2018 at 4:39pm
Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

Originally posted by SeanG4393 SeanG4393 wrote:

I imagine a lot of people have been in his ear over it and it's a lot of pressure. I wonder has Mark Noble has a bit of a word he waited his whole career for England to call and they never. 

I hope he doesn't go down the route of waiting for England just to boost his sponsorship and conract options like someone else not so long ago did. 

Big difference. Noble has come out and said he was asked by numerous times to play for Ireland but always felt he'd be taking someone who dreamed of playing for Ireland's place

This is his quote about it

"There are young Irish kids playing well that deserve and would appreciate an Irish cap more than I would. I played through all the age groups as a youth international (with England), went to tournaments and sang the national anthem. But obviously I’ve never got a senior cap.

So for me to turn up to play for Ireland without it having been a dream of mine, and there’s an Irish kid out there who might miss out when it’s their dream to play for Ireland. I couldn’t do that."

Yeah I liked his comments and it makes a great deal of sense I wasn't painting him as a 'baddie' by the way. 

Taking his comments into account and looking at Rice coming through the youth systems of all ages there's only one decision.. 
Charlton's Child View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlton's Child Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2018 at 4:33pm
Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

Originally posted by BippityBoop BippityBoop wrote:

English squad announcement at 2pm today... Anyone expecting a plot twist of Rice being named or mentioned in some form? I've heard people say in this forum that he definitely can or can't get called up due to paperwork etc. so I don't know which is true.

Well I'd assume that Rice has an English passport due him being English but would also have an Irish one due to him playing for us.

As he hasn't played a competitive match and has a passport already he'd only need FIFA clearance to play. Which I'd imagine could be done in a few hours/days if it really needed to.

I'd imagine at least one of the journalists who attends the press conference will ask Southgate about him anyway.

Was listing to Dan Mc Donnell. apparently this can take a few months to go thought regardless of passport or competitive game. Can even be dragged out by the FAI as they hold his international registration and have to release the paper work back to FIFA to be transferred back to England. He said at best wouldn't be done till Christmas and can play u21 again this campaign as he's already played with Ireland.  
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2018 at 4:16pm
I would say the bait has been laid well before today's press conference. Would be surprised if big nose hadn't already spoken to Rice
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234235236237238 306>
  Share Topic