You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Get your nicks and socks on! : Junior & Intermediate Football
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

DDSL/SDFL Merger

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProudAndLoud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: DDSL/SDFL Merger
    Posted: 06 Feb 2019 at 4:40pm
DDSL and SDFL are to merge from this season. I think this shows how weakened the DDSL now is with the new LOI underage 13s15s17s19s structure now in place. I just hope the LOI clubs can afford this new structure in years to come.
Im around the game in Dublin and LOI a long time and for me Im very sceptical.
Sponsored Links

BabbsBalls View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BabbsBalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2019 at 6:08pm
The less league bodies the better if you ask me. That’s one of the big problems in Irish football. Too many chiefs..
l hear you are a racist now, father ?
Gary McKay View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2019 at 6:36pm
Its the SDFL that was dwindling away to nothing.

Two divisions at u8/9 with four clubs fielding two teams in the same division. Jokeshop.

But yes the u13 LOI is having a massive effect on clubs.
Its carnage out there at the moment and a lot of kids aged 11/12 will be released from Big Clubs in the next few weeks and have nowhere to go as the teams they abandoned have folded.
"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex
ProudAndLoud View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProudAndLoud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2019 at 8:54pm
Maybe I shouldn't be so sceptical about the new structure and I know the FAI in this instance trying do something positive and trying mirror the English academy system as best they can. The smaller LOI clubs are going to struggle with travel expenses etc and most young kids/parents are paying for playing. For me there wasn't that much wrong with the old schoolboy league set up. Only problem was clubs didn't get enough for kids going England and let them go on the cheap. Will coaching etc be better in the new structure I'm not so sure. 
Donegalman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donegalman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2019 at 10:18pm
Probably the biggest problem will be for the young lads who are in between age groups like a lad just out of the u13 but not good enough for the u15s so needs somewhere to play until he's back at his own age group again.
BigStrongMan View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Just Modding Like

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigStrongMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2019 at 7:10am
Particularly smaller lads who are say u14,up against big u15 lads. A lot of small technically good footballers may be lost to the game. Unfortunately there are still coaches out there who look for the big powerful players. I’ve seen it first hand already this season
PM me for all forum moderation queries.
Podge-SFC View Drop Down
Phil Babb
Phil Babb

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Podge-SFC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2019 at 7:47pm
I’m currently living in Canada, where the system works differently but it’s all geared towards players moving into the Vancouver Whitecaps academy. I have been exploring the structure within British Columbia football setup, which has led to me reaching out with the following suggestions that may encourage some thought on the underage structure. Suggestion, using the Dublin environment as an example

In British Columbia, they have established the British Columbia Soccer Premier League, which consists of 8 constant members. The 8 participating clubs are nominated on criteria such as coaching qualifications, facilities and history of player development. Creating an established league to bridge the gap between schoolboy clubs and League of Ireland clubs would be a benefit in player retention (for those who may have missed the initial stage of recruitment/players who have left LOI clubs due to lack of playing time etc.)

Suggestion for clubs in a Leinster based league: Cherry Orchard, Crumlin, Belvedere FC, Cabinteely, Shamrock Rovers, Shelbourne, Malahide, St Josephs, Mount Merrion, Athlone, Dundalk , Home Farm, St Kevins Boys.

Establishing a designated league that acts as a bridging league, with high standards imposed would make it seem like less of a drop down for LOI players should they require extra time to develop, while also acting as a launch pad for players who may develop slower, but become late bloomers as they grow. This would aid in the recruitment and assessment of players currently playing outside of LOI, while also ensuring player retention within the game.

The BCSPL works upon a system which allows players to be dual registered, meaning they can represent their local club, as well as the elite team which they are registered to.

This would be of massive benefit to young players in the Ireland. My suggestion is as follows, using current U15 age group as an example: 

•10 players can be dual registered to affiliate clubs in the “Development League”. 

•5 players to each age group. (ie UCD players can represent Mount Merrion in the newly established league. 2003 players could play a year up at U16 level, while 2004 players would play at U14 level (which is their true age group) 

This would allow players who may not be gaining enough game time, or struggling with the physical gap between oldest and youngest within an age group. A rule to ensure that clubs don’t abuse this rule may need to be considered, such as the availability of just 3 dual registered players per match day squad, with only 2 allowed on the field of play at one time. This would mean players signed permanently to “development league” squads would still get the required game time.

ProudAndLoud View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProudAndLoud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2019 at 10:54pm
Perhaps from 15s up stream to elite but 13s I think will see smaller players pushed to the side 
Huggybeer View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Huggybeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2019 at 1:08pm
for years, "Elite" dublin clubs have been wagging the Dog called DDSL and damaging every other club in the country, anything that breaks their monopoly is worth trying.

For Context Im Dublin born and bred and coached in DDSL for ten years
Getting old and intolerant
MC Hammered View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2019 at 2:03pm
Originally posted by ProudAndLoud ProudAndLoud wrote:

Perhaps from 15s up stream to elite but 13s I think will see smaller players pushed to the side 

I'm on the fence about this. Firstly, if they were going to roll out the 13's league then they had to bring in 14's as well. That gap year is ridiculous. I do think that getting kids into elite academies at 15 might be too late for a lot of them. This was Wengers thoughts on the development phases of young players.

A-Technical years 5-12
B-Physical years 12-16
C-Tactical years 18-20
D Mental-from 20 years  
El Puto Amo
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2019 at 3:27pm
Originally posted by MC Hammered MC Hammered wrote:

Originally posted by ProudAndLoud ProudAndLoud wrote:

I'm on the fence about this. Firstly, if they were going to roll out the 13's league then they had to bring in 14's as well. That gap year is ridiculous. I do think that getting kids into elite academies at 15 might be too late for a lot of them. This was Wengers thoughts on the development phases of young players.

A-Technical years 5-12
B-Physical years 12-16
C-Tactical years 18-20
D Mental-from 20 years  

It's a pity he forgot about phases C & D with his own players LOL

Agree with the bit in bold, it'll be too late for the majority of kids.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2019 at 3:30pm

Yes 13s is ridiculous, 14s maybe.

PS Who the fcuk are Mount Merrion ?

Quick look at u10A (top division) I don't see Mount Merrion, Cabinteely or Shelbourne !!!!

Athlone and Dundalk ? - sure they'll be just filled with Dublin players.
"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex
Huggybeer View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Huggybeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2019 at 9:05pm
KDUL have been accepted into the academy setup, wonder will macknally the man who insisted on the 50km rule be applied a few years ago to stop KDUL players playing in Dublin, go poaching players from Rovers and the Orchard
Getting old and intolerant
Podge-SFC View Drop Down
Phil Babb
Phil Babb

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Podge-SFC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2019 at 9:38pm
Originally posted by Gary McKay Gary McKay wrote:

Quick look at u10A (top division) I don't see Mount Merrion, Cabinteely or Shelbourne !!!!

All the clubs I mentioned have direct connections with LOI sides, dual registration would only work in circumstances where there is a direct link. 
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2019 at 10:01pm
Originally posted by Podge-SFC Podge-SFC wrote:

All the clubs I mentioned have direct connections with LOI sides, dual registration would only work in circumstances where there is a direct link. 
You dont need a ‘direct’ connection to a LOI club.
A lot of clubs have ‘arrangements’.

Podge-SFC View Drop Down
Phil Babb
Phil Babb

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Podge-SFC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2019 at 10:10pm

Originally posted by Podge-SFC Podge-SFC wrote:

You dont need a ‘direct’ connection to a LOI club.
A lot of clubs have ‘arrangements’.

Aside from Corduff / Lucan with Rovers, which Dublin clubs am I kissing that have any sort of links with LOI clubs? If there was no official partnership between clubs who would manage the movement of players up and down between teams?

Aside from the actual teams that would complete in such a league, the premise of the idea remains. There needs to be an established league to bridge the gap between school boy teams / LOI teams to over a viable alternative to players who miss the initial boat of players moving into LOI / for players that drop out of LOI but want to continue playing at a decent level. 

The physical size differences between a U15 player born in January 2004 and December 2005 will be absolutely massive, so allowing the less physically developed (but equally talented) player the opportunity to gain LOI experience, while also being able to gain competitive football in the proposed development style league is the main focus of my suggestion. 
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2019 at 1:32am
Rovers - Lucan, Corduff, Granada, Templeogue, Francis
Pats - Crumlin, Orchard, Belvo, Esker
Bohs - Kevins
Drogheda or Dundalk - Malahide
UCD - Mount Merrion
Bray - Joeys
BigStrongMan View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Just Modding Like

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigStrongMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2019 at 6:06am
Francis were involved with Pats
PM me for all forum moderation queries.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic