Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

David O'Leary

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady
YBIG Mods are cool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fintan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2013 at 8:46am
MON has won trophies in England with a club smaller than Leeds and he didn't have the stupid amounts of money that O'Leary was given
Sponsored Links

Stillhuntinghenry View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

useless at posting links

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stillhuntinghenry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2013 at 8:49am
Originally posted by gufct gufct wrote:

David o'leary will never get a job in soccer again.

Typical brock comment from you, adding nothing to the debate
roverstillidie View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Bohs number 1 fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roverstillidie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2013 at 8:58am
Originally posted by Stillhuntinghenry Stillhuntinghenry wrote:

Originally posted by Ireland4ever Ireland4ever wrote:

Well if he was offered a job in England or Europe and he turned it down for a big money offer from some footballing backwater then that says more about the man and his ambition than I could

Maybe he just fancied a break from the game and then a change of scenery, I don't know, then again neither do you. He's been in professional football no stop since he was 17, 2/3 years out of the game will hardly make a difference and in my view its a plus point. We'd get a guy coming in refreshed, perhaps with a point to prove.

A 2/3 year break is one thing. 10 is another.

Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

useless at posting links

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stillhuntinghenry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2013 at 9:05am
Originally posted by Fintan Fintan wrote:

MON has won trophies in England with a club smaller than Leeds and he didn't have the stupid amounts of money that O'Leary was given

o'neill spent more than o'leary!! Tin cup or champions league? I'd say the villa board and financial backers would have preferred champions league

O'neill spent £120m and recouped £40m, net loss £80m

Sidwell £8.5
Curtis Davies £10m
Reo-Coker £8.5m
Harewood. £3.5m
Cuellar. £8m
Delph. £5m

O'leary may have splashed £18m on rio but he sold him for £30m

O'neill is not called a cheque book manager for nothing
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

useless at posting links

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stillhuntinghenry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2013 at 9:06am
Originally posted by roverstillidie roverstillidie wrote:

Originally posted by Ireland4ever Ireland4ever wrote:

Well if he was offered a job in England or Europe and he turned it down for a big money offer from some footballing backwater then that says more about the man and his ambition than I could

Maybe he just fancied a break from the game and then a change of scenery, I don't know, then again neither do you. He's been in professional football no stop since he was 17, 2/3 years out of the game will hardly make a difference and in my view its a plus point. We'd get a guy coming in refreshed, perhaps with a point to prove.

A 2/3 year break is one thing. 10 is another.

He only left his last job in 2010
Fintan View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady
YBIG Mods are cool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fintan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2013 at 9:31am

Originally posted by Fintan Fintan wrote:

o'neill spent more than o'leary!! Tin cup or champions league? I'd say the villa board and financial backers would have preferred champions league

O'neill spent £120m and recouped £40m, net loss £80m

Sidwell £8.5
Curtis Davies £10m
Reo-Coker £8.5m
Harewood. £3.5m
Cuellar. £8m
Delph. £5m

O'leary may have splashed £18m on rio but he s
old him for £30m

O'neill is not called a cheque book manager for nothing

I was refering to MON's time at Leicester in which he actually won things. You're talking about O'Leary being the most successful Irish manager in the game and I'm saying you're wrong as O'Neill has won more than O'Leary
Your facts regarding finances are interesting. Are you John Delaney by any chance?
savo01 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote savo01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2013 at 9:38am
Steve Guppy, Neil Lennon, Robbie Savage, Muzzy Izzet, Didier Agathe, Bobby Petta, Chris Sutton, Alan Thompson, Stan Varga, Ramon Vega, Aiden McGeady, David Marshall, John Kennedy, Stan Collymore, James McClean, Stan Petrov, Emile Heskey. 

Above is a brief list of players M'ON either brought through from youth ranks, rescued, re-invigorated during his time.  there's big money, small money, no money players on that list.  I've yet to see a player rubbish M'ON as a manager.  The list of players who say he was the best manager they played under is as wide as the Clyde.  Even R*ngers fans respected him!  He may have spent money but at all of his clubs, maybe Sunderland apart he left the clubs in a better place than he got them.  VIlla finished 6th three years in a row and got robbed in the League Cup Final when Vidic should have been sent off when they won a penalty. 
Jackie Charlton, Eoin Hand
Johnny Giles. Ireland
Mick McCarthy, Stephen Staunton
Cascarino
Tony Galvin, Niall Quinn
Packie doesn't let em in
North of Ireland
South of Ireland
Only one can go
savo01 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote savo01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2013 at 9:39am
If Dave got the job with Jaap Stam as his assistant I think Mario Rosenstock would wet himself!
Jackie Charlton, Eoin Hand
Johnny Giles. Ireland
Mick McCarthy, Stephen Staunton
Cascarino
Tony Galvin, Niall Quinn
Packie doesn't let em in
North of Ireland
South of Ireland
Only one can go
Fintan View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady
YBIG Mods are cool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fintan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2013 at 9:41am
And I say interesting because they are up the left. O'Leary and that clown Peter Ridsdale spent somewhere in the region of £120m between 99 and 02 and Leeds are still paying for that today.

O'Leary hasn't been successful as a manager anywhere and if O'Neill is a chequebook manager so is he.

O'Neill has been a success at Wycombe, Leicester and Celtic
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

useless at posting links

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stillhuntinghenry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2013 at 10:29am
To be honest I don't want to get into an argument where I'm disparaging mon because the mans a legend. I have no problem with him being on the list (although he wouldn't be my 1st choice for a number of reasons). You will note that mon was not mentioned on my original post this morning

The financial demise of Leeds was not down to o'leary it was complicated but was generally based on ridsdale mortgaging future income which then never transpired. It must he remembered that the majority of the signings were a success and that he brought through Robinson, smith, woodgate and kewell. I'm surprised that you don't consider 3 top 4 finishes and a champions league semi final as not being successful

As I said mon has credentials but if Roy, Brian and mick are on the list then so should Dave.

Edited by Stillhuntinghenry - 12 Sep 2013 at 10:31am
GREENISLE View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GREENISLE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2013 at 10:32am

To be honest I don't want to get into an argument where I'm disparaging mon because the mans a legend. I have no problem with him being on the list (although he wouldn't be my 1st choice for a number of reasons). You will note that mon was not mentioned on my original post this morning

The financial demise of Leeds was not down to o'leary it was complicated but was generally based on ridsdale mortgaging future income which then never transpired. It must he remembered that the majority of the signings were a success and that he brought through Robinson, smith, woodgate and kewell. I'm surprised that you don't consider 3 top 4 finishes and a champions league semi final as not being successful

As I said mon has credentials but if Roy, Brian and mick are on the list then so should Dave.

lets get an auld list going, lol. we love lists on this forum.
Fintan View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady
YBIG Mods are cool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fintan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2013 at 10:40am
I like O'Leary myself personally and don't think he'd be the worst call and O'Neill wouldn't be top of my list but I don't get it when people say O'Neill is a cheque book manager or overrated.

He's won a f load of silverwear in his time and overperformed at four clubs prior to Sunderland. Yes he walked away from Villa and didn't do well in Sunderland but the man's CV is fantastic and he is spoken about so highly almost across the board that he doesn't deserve stick in any form.
Fintan View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady
YBIG Mods are cool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fintan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2013 at 10:42am
Or even to be compared to O'Leary
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2017 at 9:43am

There's a few threads on other candidates so I thought this man deserves one. O'Leary actually has a very impressive management record, 3 top 4 finishes in Premier League, a UEFA cup semi final and a Champions League semi final. He developed the young players at Leeds and integrated them into the system and he is a very good man manager (according to a few lads I know who were apprentices at Leeds). He has been out of the game since 2011 due to a legal wrangle with an outfit in the Middle East but is free to manage now. I think he would have a point to prove and the break will have rejuvenated him. His record highlights that he is actually the most successful Irish manager and dwarfs the managerial careers of McDermott, houghton, o'neill and Roy knacker.

Leeds United

1998/9 -        4th EPL
1999/2000 -   3rd EPL
                      SF UEFA Cup
2000/01 -      4th EPL
                      SF Champions League
2001/2 -        5th EPL

Aston Villa

2003/4 - 6th EPL
2004/5 - 10th EPL

Irish, out of work and on budget, sure what more do we want

I met the man last night at an event in London. He is 59 but looks a lot younger.

It got me thinking how come he didn't get a job after his spell at Aston Villa.

Surprised he didn't get a championship role. Was he ever linked to the Ireland job?  

Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2017 at 10:12am
Was linked to it after McCarthy and Kerr IIRC
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
MC Hammered View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2017 at 10:47am

Big question marks over his integrity, in my opinion, after pulling this stunt.   

El Puto Amo
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2017 at 10:53am
Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

There's a few threads on other candidates so I thought this man deserves one. O'Leary actually has a very impressive management record, 3 top 4 finishes in Premier League, a UEFA cup semi final and a Champions League semi final. He developed the young players at Leeds and integrated them into the system and he is a very good man manager (according to a few lads I know who were apprentices at Leeds). He has been out of the game since 2011 due to a legal wrangle with an outfit in the Middle East but is free to manage now. I think he would have a point to prove and the break will have rejuvenated him. His record highlights that he is actually the most successful Irish manager and dwarfs the managerial careers of McDermott, houghton, o'neill and Roy knacker.

Leeds United

1998/9 -        4th EPL
1999/2000 -   3rd EPL
                      SF UEFA Cup
2000/01 -      4th EPL
                      SF Champions League
2001/2 -        5th EPL

Aston Villa

2003/4 - 6th EPL
2004/5 - 10th EPL

Irish, out of work and on budget, sure what more do we want

I met the man last night at an event in London. He is 59 but looks a lot younger.

It got me thinking how come he didn't get a job after his spell at Aston Villa.

Surprised he didn't get a championship role. Was he ever linked to the Ireland job?  

The man is absolutely minted.

Had a look at his daughters twitter. Some lifestyle. Constant jetsetting, eating out, massive gaff etc etc. 
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2017 at 10:54am
Where the f**k is he getting the money
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
  Share Topic