Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

David O'Leary

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

useless at posting links

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stillhuntinghenry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: David O'Leary
    Posted: 11 Sep 2013 at 8:33pm
There's a few threads on other candidates so I thought this man deserves one. O'Leary actually has a very impressive management record, 3 top 4 finishes in Premier League, a UEFA cup semi final and a Champions League semi final. He developed the young players at Leeds and integrated them into the system and he is a very good man manager (according to a few lads I know who were apprentices at Leeds). He has been out of the game since 2011 due to a legal wrangle with an outfit in the Middle East but is free to manage now. I think he would have a point to prove and the break will have rejuvenated him. His record highlights that he is actually the most successful Irish manager and dwarfs the managerial careers of McDermott, houghton, o'neill and Roy knacker.

Leeds United

1998/9 -        4th EPL
1999/2000 -   3rd EPL
                      SF UEFA Cup
2000/01 -      4th EPL
                      SF Champions League
2001/2 -        5th EPL

Aston Villa

2003/4 - 6th EPL
2004/5 - 10th EPL

Irish, out of work and on budget, sure what more do we want
Sponsored Links

Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2013 at 8:38pm
Good Jaysus  

He can't even get a job in the Championship FFS
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
Garak View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Garak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2013 at 8:41pm
Always liked O'Leary, dunno about for the Ireland job though.

Edited by Garak - 11 Sep 2013 at 8:41pm
Gary McKay View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2013 at 8:46pm
He loves himself allegedly.
Stillhuntinghenry View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

useless at posting links

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stillhuntinghenry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2013 at 8:54pm
Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

Good Jaysus  

Which jobs was he in for? He only got his legal case sorted in March. People are talking Roy Knacker up but sure he's failed everywhere he's been and I doubt he would get a job in championship. In not saying o'leary should be nailed on for the job but he should be on any short list. Interested to know which jobs he got knocked back on??
FrankosHereNow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2013 at 8:57pm
Always liked O'Leary and I'd be happy if he got the job.
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
Ireland4ever View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ireland4ever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2013 at 8:57pm
There was a reason he was managing in the middle east, he couldn't get a job anywhere else.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

useless at posting links

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stillhuntinghenry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2013 at 9:03pm
Originally posted by Ireland4ever Ireland4ever wrote:

There was a reason he was managing in the middle east, he couldn't get a job anywhere else.

Nothing to do with the massive salary they paid him then ...

I seem to remember our last manager coming from some outfit named after an energy drink
Ireland4ever View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ireland4ever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2013 at 9:07pm
Well if he was offered a job in England or Europe and he turned it down for a big money offer from some footballing backwater then that says more about the man and his ambition than I could
Ludwig von Drake View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ludwig von Drake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2013 at 9:08pm
I like O'Leary and he was a great player but we can't seriously be considering giving the job to someone who has had little or no involvement in football in 10 years. 
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2013 at 9:10pm
Originally posted by Stillhuntinghenry Stillhuntinghenry wrote:

Good Jaysus  

Which jobs was he in for? He only got his legal case sorted in March. People are talking Roy Knacker up but sure he's failed everywhere he's been and I doubt he would get a job in championship. In not saying o'leary should be nailed on for the job but he should be on any short list. Interested to know which jobs he got knocked back on??

LOL

The fact you never hear him even linked with any job that comes up in the Championship. Speaks volumes. 

Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

AlanH View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlanH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2013 at 9:12pm

There's a few threads on other candidates so I thought this man deserves one. O'Leary actually has a very impressive management record, 3 top 4 finishes in Premier League, a UEFA cup semi final and a Champions League semi final. He developed the young players at Leeds and integrated them into the system and he is a very good man manager (according to a few lads I know who were apprentices at Leeds). He has been out of the game since 2011 due to a legal wrangle with an outfit in the Middle East but is free to manage now. I think he would have a point to prove and the break will have rejuvenated him. His record highlights that he is actually the most successful Irish manager and dwarfs the managerial careers of McDermott, houghton, o'neill and Roy knacker.

Leeds United

1998/9 -        4th EPL
1999/2000 -   3rd EPL
                      SF UEFA Cup
2000/01 -      4th EPL
                      SF Champions League
2001/2 -        5th EPL

Aston Villa

2003/4 - 6th EPL
2004/5 - 10th EPL

Irish, out of work and on budget, sure what more do we want

Like a lot of people, I would have dismissed O'Leary as a viable candidate. However, your post puts forward a compelling argument and has me suddenly reassessing that position. His record in the Premier League and in Europe with Leeds is very impressive.

My understanding is that O'Leary (or his agent) was touting himself for other jobs when he was at Villa and that is what has damaged his credibility in England.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

useless at posting links

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stillhuntinghenry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2013 at 9:13pm
Originally posted by Ireland4ever Ireland4ever wrote:

Well if he was offered a job in England or Europe and he turned it down for a big money offer from some footballing backwater then that says more about the man and his ambition than I could

Maybe he just fancied a break from the game and then a change of scenery, I don't know, then again neither do you. He's been in professional football no stop since he was 17, 2/3 years out of the game will hardly make a difference and in my view its a plus point. We'd get a guy coming in refreshed, perhaps with a point to prove.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

useless at posting links

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stillhuntinghenry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2013 at 9:15pm

Good Jaysus  

LOL

The fact you never hear him even linked with any job that comes up in the Championship. Speaks volumes. 

Very compelling    maybe it just means he doesn't want to manage in the championship. As I said he Was unable to manage until his legal case was settled in may
stokes78 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stokes78 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2013 at 9:22pm
Dave would play nice style of football.I think he should be strong candidate
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

useless at posting links

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stillhuntinghenry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2013 at 9:23pm
Originally posted by stokes78 stokes78 wrote:

Dave would play nice style of football.I think he should be strong candidate

Yeah some of the stuff his Leeds side played was unreal, probably most exciting side in EPL at time
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

useless at posting links

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stillhuntinghenry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2013 at 9:26pm

Good Jaysus  

You still haven't answered my question - which jobs was he in for and turned down for??
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2013 at 9:28pm
Eh the fact that clubs haven't even approached him is a big clue. Clubs don't just wait for people to apply you know

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic