Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Dave Langan

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 55565758>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Please Count, can I be a Mod?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GreenTribe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2008 at 4:12am
LOL i will post up on tartan army, i know they wanted to know how we get on
I am serious. And don't call me Shirley.
Sponsored Links

Babysis View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Babysis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2008 at 5:44am
I was speaking to McG and we said we will hold off till after the weekend when we have the brochure and then we can send out the same info to all of the fans on various forums as well as everyone who signed the petition and joined the facebook group.

No pointing rushing into it and having to send lodas of emails when we can wait for a few days and make it much more effective.

Count, then you can register and post on all the other forums for us Wink
First Commander-Galway Regatta
Nick View Drop Down
Phil Babb
Phil Babb

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2008 at 1:17pm
Great stuff!

If you want I can spread the word around Oxford via forums, fanzine etc. Give me the word!

I'll start planning a trip I think ...

Nick
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2008 at 1:35pm
Good man Nick. Yeah you can start spreading the word. Im waiting for final details and when i get them ill post it on the oxfordshire site..

Edited by McGoldrick2284 - 01 Sep 2008 at 1:36pm
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

The Count View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Count Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2008 at 5:57pm
Bump...

Any luck with getting the details/image so we can stick it up here McG?
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2008 at 3:30am
Cathal Dervan Article, The Irish Voice in New York

LEAD

SOCCER: The World Cup is up and running at last but first it is time for a story about Irish footballers past and present and modern day travel, private and cheap.

On Wednesday night a group of six Ireland internationals boarded a mini-bus outside Podgorica’s City Stadium to make their way to the local airport after their team’s satisfying if scoreless draw with Montenegro.

Waiting for them at a small airport some 10 miles away was a brand new gulfstream private jet, hired by a handful of Premier League clubs to bring their top stars back home quickly and safely.

Shay Given, Richard Dunne, Kevin Kilbane, Steven Reid, Robbie Keane and Steve Finnan, technically no longer a Liverpool player, are used to such things.

They have mostly lived and worked in the cocoon that is the English Premiership for the duration of their professional lives to date and consequently they are used to being well looked after by their clubs and their sponsors.

Not one of them, millionaires all, will ever have to worry about working for a living when they hang up their boots in the coming years.

Good luck to them. They are all decent human beings in their own way and they deserve whatever riches they can muster for their undoubtable talents.

It is not their fault that clubs in England and Spain want to pay them handsomely for their services nor should they be expected to hand the money back at the end of the week or turn down the contract offers that come their way.

Now fast forward less than 48 hours and sit yourself down in the foyer of Dublin’s Burlington Hotel at lunchtime on Friday as the FAI prepared to host a press reception to announce details of a tribute night for Dave Langan next month.

Just in case you didn’t know, Langan, capped 26 times for his country, played at the highest level in England for Birmingham City, Derby County, Oxford and Peterborough.

He was, in his day, a favourite of the old South Terrace at Lansdowne Road, a player who ran up and down the right wing with his socks around his ankles and his heart clearly visible on his sleeve.

Sadly, today Dave Langan barely resembles the hero of yesteryear. Today he is a former footballer so crippled by the aftermath of an injury picked up playing for Ireland against France in a famous Lansdowne win that he can’t even put on his own shoes and socks.

On Friday, as he awaited the formal launch of a dinner that is the result of years of pressure on the FAI to award Langan a testimonial of some sort, the great man had to stand up while those around him sat down.

The pain shooting from his back into his knees and down into his ankles simply makes it impossible for Langan to sit for any great period of time.

His body is now so used to the painkillers that can ease his discomfort that they are basically ineffective.

And the pain in his knee could be eased by a joint replacement but he can only have two of them before they cut his left leg off!

Dave Langan also had an aeroplane story as we chatted before the formal announcement of some FAI recognition that has been long overdue for a player now official registered as handicapped in the UK where he still lives.

On Thursday Dave flew to Dublin on a Ryanair jet from Stansted like so many others happy to fly with the bargain basement airline.

The flight was cosy enough even for a man with an absolute dread of the idea that he can travel from one country to another through the air.

He then spent Thursday night at home with his mum in Ringsend, switched on the telly and caught the news when one item in particular jumped out at Dave Langan.

The tail of the same plane he had flown to Dublin on had hit the runway on its way back to London! It is apparently a common enough occurrence across the world according to one aviation expert on RTE even though the hundred or so passengers on board didn’t seem to find it comforting.

Certainly the news did little to allay Dave’s fears of flying but the story did offer a stark contrast to the private jet world now inhabited by those who have followed Langan into the Irish team.

Dave Langan will never have the money to fly on a private jet. Homeless a year ago and living in the basement of Peterborough City Hall where he works, he at least has the support of a new wife Dawn now and the prospect of some much needed funds coming his way from this dinner.

God knows he needs the help. God knows he deserves it at a time when modern footballers are pampered as the queue to leave Podgorica airport last Wednesday night proved yet again.

If you can help Dave Langan out in any way possible please do so as he needs as much support as he can get.

More details on the tribute dinner are available at www.fai.ie/davelangan

OFF-LEAD

SOCCER

SEVEN REASONS TO BE CHEERFUL AFTER TRAP’S WORLD CUP START

1.   Ireland had a decent shape and game plan against both Georgia and Montenegro

2.   John O’Shea and Richard Dunne have discovered how to really play together

3.   Glenn Whelan did everything that was asked of him by the Trap Schema and then some

4.   Kevin Doyle is back to the form that should guarantee him a move to the Premier League in January

5.   Shay Given is back to full fitness and back to world class form

6.   The Irish players are finally going around with a smile on their faces again

7.   Damien Duff should be fit for the home clash with Cyprus next month

SEVEN REASONS TO BE FEARFUL AFTER TRAP’S WORLD CUP START

1.   Trapattoni was happy to settle for a draw in Podgorica when Italy will go there to win

2.   Ireland only created three chances of real note on Montenegro, one of them a legitimate penalty appeal

3.   Italy are already two points ahead of Ireland in the Group Eight table

4.   Trapattoni will have to abandon his cautious tactics at home, can he?

5.   What happens if injuries hit key players as Trap is reluctant to change his personnel

AS YOU WERE McGx

Babysis View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Babysis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2008 at 3:58am
Sums it all up perfectly. Fair play to him.
First Commander-Galway Regatta
Donal Cullen View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donal Cullen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2009 at 8:25am
Just thinking of Davy Langan at work last night and was wondering just how he is doing. Any news, McG?
There are friendlier places to drink.
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2009 at 8:27am
Originally posted by Donal Cullen Donal Cullen wrote:

Just thinking of Davy Langan at work last night and was wondering just how he is doing. Any news, McG?

Good man Donal!

He is getting on very well at the moment. With the help of the benefit dinner, Dave is very close to buying a nice little house and securing his future for himself and his family. I’m in regular touch with him and he is hoping to come over in the summer so I’ll meet him for a few pints then.

Also, Ashley Grimes and others have decided to try do something for him which would help him health wise i.e. a new knee and wheels are in motion for that to take place so ill revert with any updates.

He is very grateful for all YBIG did for him and is always asking after you all but mentioning you by user names after jury's that night i.e. How’s Freewheeler, Count, Roger and the girls?Smile

I heard also that the FAI hope to hold a similar Benefit Dinner for former international Miah Dennehy who has fallen on severe bad times. So credit due there.Clap

AS YOU WERE McGx

FREEWHEELER View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
sPICE UP YOUR LIFE Gwan MONROY

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEWHEELER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2009 at 8:30am
That's brilliant update McGold......tragic what happened to Miah Dennehy alright, court case was in the paper last week......some punter in a boozer gave Miah a smack after they had a disagreement and Miah hit his head on the ground and is now brain damaged. 
We'll never die, we'll never die, we'll keep the Green Flag flying high......Shamrock Rovers will never die, we'll keep the Green Flag Flying high. 19 Leagues and 25 Cups.....
Donal Cullen View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donal Cullen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2009 at 8:34am
Good news about Davy and lets hope he does well for himself. Terrible news about Miah Dennehy and fair play to the FAI for being quick off the mark.
There are friendlier places to drink.
GreenTribe View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GreenTribe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2009 at 9:36am
Clap great stuff mcG, good man dave. Nice to hear all is well Thumbs%20Up
billybunter View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billybunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2009 at 9:59am
that is indeed great stuff....(that Dave Langan signed YBIG issue hangs proudly on my wall). Do keep us updated as things progress.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GreenTribe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2009 at 10:03am
Originally posted by billybunter billybunter wrote:

that is indeed great stuff....(that Dave Langan signed YBIG issue hangs proudly on my wall). Do keep us updated as things progress.

eh.... i am still waiting on mine mcG??Cry
Tash Kent View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tash Kent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2009 at 10:09am

Yeah that’s great about Dave McG Thumbs%20Up will defo have a few pints with him if he is around later in the year, good the FAI are to do something for Miah Dennehy as well remember him scoring at one of my first Ireland games 1-0 win over Poland in the early seventies Clap, only a few days after Poland put England out of the 1974 World Cup.

Edited by Tash Kent - 03 Mar 2009 at 10:11am
Philip Greene RTE Radio Legend
10 Seconds Gone Here In Limerick And No Score.
FREEWHEELER View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
sPICE UP YOUR LIFE Gwan MONROY

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEWHEELER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2009 at 10:32am
Originally posted by GreenTribe GreenTribe wrote:

Tony can sign your hand or arse GT or wherever in Bari.......
We'll never die, we'll never die, we'll keep the Green Flag flying high......Shamrock Rovers will never die, we'll keep the Green Flag Flying high. 19 Leagues and 25 Cups.....
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GreenTribe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2009 at 10:35am
Originally posted by FREEWHEELER FREEWHEELER wrote:

eh...was promised a signed d.langan fanzine yonks ago. babysis did you get yours?
McG Angry

billybunter View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billybunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2009 at 11:26am

Originally posted by FREEWHEELER FREEWHEELER wrote:

eh...was promised a signed d.langan fanzine yonks ago. babysis did you get yours?
McG Angry

Sorry GT - that offer was only available to those customers outside the ROI
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 55565758>
  Share Topic