Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Daryl Murphy

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 61>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2010 at 5:27am
Originally posted by FREEWHEELER FREEWHEELER wrote:

When he proves yiz wrong, I'll be back to remind yiz.  He's better than Samaras or Fortune if he's given a run in the team.  Good signing in my opinion.  Gwan Murph, best of luck in Paradise. Thumbs%20Up

Dont think he's better than either tbh

Sponsored Links

Propagandhi View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Propagandhi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2010 at 11:07am
Daryl Murphy has put himself in contention for a role in Celtic's upcoming match against Braga, scoring against Lincoln at Sincil Bank in a friendly.

Very interesting article here. 

500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Propagandhi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2010 at 10:28am
JH91 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JH91 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2010 at 11:52am
Just scored against Arsenal
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Propagandhi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2010 at 12:10pm
Strikers goal. He's put himself into contention for the Braga game. They would be able to give Braga a right old game if their defence and goalkeeper weren't so bad.
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Propagandhi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2010 at 3:01pm

Murphy: Braga in for Celtic shock

Celtic striker Daryl Murphy says nothing will prepare Braga for the atmosphere lying in wait for them in Glasgow on Wednesday night

Murphy:%20Braga%20in%20for%20Celtic%20shock

Shooting from the lip: Daryl Murphy has talked up the prospect of Celtic Park being "intimidating" for Braga.

Daryl Murphy has warned Braga nothing can prepare them for the atmosphere they will come up against when they travel to play Celtic on Wednesday night. The Portuguese club lead 3-0 in their Champions League third qualifying round game against the SPL side, putting them in a position of strength going into the second leg.

Some of Europe’s top sides have crumbled in the heat of the formidable home crowd down the years, with Manchester United, AC Milan and Barcelona all tasting defeat in Glasgow.

Celtic though have won just one European home match in their last six attempts but, despite that, Murphy believes Braga could wilt when faced with a wall of noise when they step out at Celtic Park on the night.

“They're in for a shock,” Murphy said of the Portuguese side. “Obviously, they've heard about it and probably watched games on the television and seen it.

“But they'd obviously have to experience it for themselves and it will be very intimidating for them to come with such a packed stadium.”

Dynamo Moscow, Arsenal and Hamburg have all left Parkhead with wins in the last year, while Manchester United and Rapid Vienna have also prevented Celtic from maintaining what had been an impressive string of home results.

Neil Lennon’s side need to score four without reply to progress to the play-off round, a goal scoring feat they haven’t achieved since they last needed to overturn a significant deficit. Artmedia Bratislava led 5-0 in 2005 in the qualifying stage, with Gordon Strachan’s team falling one short of levelling the aggregate score in the second leg.

History may be against them in that regard but Murphy believes that as long as his team  can end their worrying trend for conceding goals of late, they can start chipping away at the visitors’ lead.

“We need four as it is to win the game, so it is a big ask from us,” he said. “We definitely need to keep it tight at the back and keep a clean sheet.

“We gave ourselves a mountain to climb last Wednesday - stupid goals we're giving away - and we really need to not do that Wednesday.”

Sono View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Inspector Gadget

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sono Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2010 at 12:15am

Did he play last night? If so Any use?

Edited by Sono - 05 Aug 2010 at 12:21am
Junior View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2010 at 5:37am
Came on for last 25 minutes or so.

Now I havent seen much of Murphy in his career to date but he looked very cumbersome to me. Admittedly Celtic were chasing the game and goals at this point (and not looking very likely to make any dent in the aggregate deficit). We had Fotune, Samaras, Hooper, Murphy and McCourt all on the pitch at one point.

He had two half chances in the box and I have to say his reactions were like something out of the slow-mo platoon pictures - it was like he was wearing concrete boots such was the time he took to engage brain and decide to throw a leg at it - the chances were gone.

I cant say he made any claim for a starting place from what I saw last night anyway.

I suppose the above sounds harsh based on 25 minutes but you really need to make the most of chances you get and he didnt, in my opinion.

500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Propagandhi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2010 at 7:36am

Daryl Murphy has tipped Celtic to put the abject disappointment of their Champions League exit behind them to hit the ground running when the SPL kicks off.

The Irishman’s dreams of strutting his stuff in Europe’s premier club competition this season were shattered when Neil Lennon’s side were eliminated in the qualifying rounds by Portuguese side SC Braga.

Despite winning 2-1 at Park-head thanks to goals from Gary Hooper and Efrain Juarez, Celtic paid the price from sloppy defending in the first leg when they were put to the sword 3-0.

It means an extended run in the Europa League is as much as Celtic can hope for in Continental competition this season, but Murphy has already turned his attention to the start of the domestic campaign next weekend.

After losing out to Old Firm rivals Rangers in the cham-pionship race over the last two years, Lennon will be expected to cross the finishing line in first place this season and Murphy believes a positive start is crucial.

He said: “The domestic season hasn’t even started yet so we are now looking forward to that and focusing on hopefully getting our league campaign off to a winning start as that is important.

“It doesn’t matter whether you are a team expected to compete for the league title, or a European spot or even battling against relegation, you always want to come flying out of the traps.

“So we are all looking forward to our first game of the season. I’m sure it will be difficult with us playing away at Inverness Caley Thistle as the boys already here have already mentioned it is a tough venue.

“But we’ve just got to go out there and get winning. We believe we are good enough to win the championship but we’ve got to work hard and make sure we win enough games.”

Murphy came on as a second-half substitute on Wednesday evening as Celtic defeated Braga 2-1 and he admitted the away goal the Portuguese outfit netted after 20 minutes killed the tie.

“We knew exactly what we were up against going into the game,” said Murphy. “We knew if we conceded a goal then it would make it extremely difficult for us to progress in the competition.

“After losing 3-0 in Portugal, that was the situation we found ourselves in going into the game and it was always a big danger.

“And, unfortunately, that is exactly what happened when we lost the opening goal of the game. It knocked the stuffing out of us because, realistically, we knew it was going to take some going to score the five goals needed to go through.

“The fact we also lost the goal after making a bright start to the game made it tougher to take but we eventually got the heads back up and battled back to win the game 2-1, which was at least something.

“On another night, we might have scored more because we pushed Braga back and had a lot of possession in the final third, but it wasn’t to be.”

Murphy, though, believes Celtic are making strides as the start of the SPL season draws ever closer.

And he is confident improvements will continue as the new signings settle in and as further new faces are added to the squad.

He said: “I think you can see the progress which is being made. I thought we played well at times against Braga and the biggest positive is that we are dangerous going forward and always look like scoring and creating chances.

“It can take time for everyone to get to know each other and settle into a pattern of play, but I’m sure everything will click into place sooner rather than later.”

Edited by Propagandhi - 06 Aug 2010 at 7:36am
Propagandhi® View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Propagandhi® Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2010 at 10:07am
Interview with The Murph coming up on Sky Sports News.
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Propagandhi® Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2010 at 6:37pm

Match-winner Daryl Murphy revealed how Celtic’s players were forced to watch a video nasty of their Europa League agony in Utrecht before sealing a 1-0 victory over Motherwell.

Murphy, who could be joined at Parkhead soon by fellow Republic of Ireland striker Anthony Stokes — despite Hibs’ denials last night that the clubs were close to agreeing a fee — held his nerve to slot home a 73rd minute spot-kick after Well defender Steven Saunders was red-carded for fouling Shaun Maloney.

And Murphy, whose first competitive goal for the club kept Neil Lennon’s men joint-top  of the SPL on maximum points alongside Rangers, said watching the footage of the
team’s disaster in Holland had helped pump them up ahead of yesterday’s SPL clash.

He said: ‘We watched the Utrecht game again on Friday and had a clear-the-air meeting. It fired us up for the Motherwell game and we had to atone for such a bad performance.

Lifting%20the%20gloom:%20Murphy%20is%20mobbed%20by%20relieved%20Parkhead%20team-mates%20after%20his%20winner

Lifting the gloom: Murphy is mobbed by relieved Parkhead team-mates after his winner

‘There was no question of me not taking the penalty. I said to Scott Brown before the game that, if we got one, I was taking it. I was practising them during the week.

‘Shaun asked if I wanted it and I said: “Yes”. He didn’t really want a fight about it and just let me get on with it. When you come to a big club, you have to accept responsibility. I was glad I took it at the Celtic end because the fans were great.’

Celtic, for whom goalkeeper Fraser Forster and left-back Emilio Izaguirre made their debuts yesterday, remain in talks with Hibs to sign Stokes, one of Murphy’s old Sunderland team-mates.

They are also still pursuing Nottingham Forest defender Kelvin Wilson. 

‘I know Stokesy from my time at Sunderland and the Irish team,’ said Murphy. ‘If he does come in, then it’s more competition for places and everyone gets revved up a bit more.’

No%20mistake:%20Murphy%20silences%20Fir%20Park

No mistake: Murphy silences Fir Park

Parkhead coach Alan Thompson agreed with Murphy that making the team sit through a re-run of their horror show in Holland had gained positive results.

‘Everyone got things off their chest,’ said Thompson. ‘The coaching staff watched the Utrecht game on our own at first, then with everyone. It was beneficial.

‘We’re bitterly disappointed we’re not in Europe but now we will focus on the league and the two cups in Scotland.

‘Fir Park was a test of character and the new players coped well.’

Thompson was impressed with Murphy’s willingness to take the pressure penalty.

‘It was pleasing to see Daryl take responsibility,’ he said. ‘He’s a scorer and we were confident he would convert.

‘I was also pleased with Izaguirre. For a lad who only arrived on Friday morning after a long flight from South America, I thought he was excellent.’

Boss Lennon was equally pleased with the contribution of Maloney, particularly after he was moved up front. ‘Shaun was fantastic once he went through the middle,’ the Irishman told ESPN.

‘We were pretty resolute at the back, the midfield were strong and athletic, while the front men did great.’

Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Propagandhi® Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2010 at 5:26pm

Daryl really shot himself in the foot with these quotes. (From a year and a half ago)

Sunderland striker Darryl Murphy has expressed a certain measure of resentment at Republic of Ireland coach Giovanni Trapattoni, who apparently hasn't explained why he left the player out of his squad for the forthcoming matches with Bulgaria and Italy.

"I know they're not obliged to speak to us when we're not selected, but communication is a big thing and it would have been nice to get a quick call," Murphy told The Sunderland Echo.

"As it was, the first I knew was when the squad was announced in the papers and on the telly. It is disappointing. Playing for your country is the biggest honour in football and I've been pretty much third-choice striker for Ireland in the last few squads."

Murphy, who has been involved in the last six of the Mackems' fixtures, cannot understand what has changed that he no longer warrants a place in the party, and is desperate to know the reasoning behind the coach's decision, despite asserting his readiness to pull on the green any time he is asked.

"I don't really see that I've done anything wrong so I don't know why I'm not involved this time," he added.

"I'm not going to sulk about it and I'd go and play for Ireland any time at the drop of a hat. But it would have been good to be told that I wasn't going to be in these squads and why."

Andy and Steven Reid are other great examples of Trap's diplomatic skills or lack thereof.

Edited by Propagandhi® - 06 Sep 2010 at 5:27pm
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Propagandhi® Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2010 at 7:15am

Chasing Paradise: the Daryl Murphy story

• Daryl Murphy was on the scrapheap eight years ago

Hollywood is one of the few destinations that does not feature on Celtic’s whistle-stop tour of North America, yet new signing Daryl Murphy should make a point of dropping in to pitch an autobiographical film script to one of the many big-hitters in Tinseltown.

After all, the story of his career so far has all the makings of a celluloid classic. Think ‘A Shot at Glory’ with Irish accents.

Murphy is currently 27, yet just eight years ago he would have been happy to be playing for Donegal Celtic, let alone Glasgow Celtic, his boyhood heroes. Signed by Luton Town at the tender age of 17, the Irishman’s initial move across the water didn’t work out. Homesick, out of form and feeling lonely, he lasted just 18 months.

Playing the Robert Duvall role in this epic story is 65-year-old Jimmy McGeough, a wise old sage revered as a coach all across Ireland and the United States. In 2002, McGeough was managing Waterford United and had a dream of emulating the most famous Scottish side of all-time. In a roundabout way, this led him to Murphy, who was at a career crossroads and was facing a life away from full-time football.

“I had this romantic notion of copying the Lisbon Lions and building a team full of local boys from the area,” McGeough told Herald Sport. “I was fascinated by the fact Jock Stein’s players all came from within 25 miles of Glasgow and I wanted to try to do the same with Waterford.

“I spoke to as many football contacts as I could about different players from Waterford and Daryl’s name cropped up. He was on the scrapheap when we picked him up – there’s no other way to put it.

“The grit and determination he showed was something else. We worked him hard but he responded. He was desperate to show that he could still make it in the game and he became a star for us.”

McGeough isn’t exaggerating. By 2005, three years after leaving Luton, Murphy was a Republic of Ireland Under-21 internationalist and the hottest prospect in Irish football. Armed with a League of Ireland First Division title and an Irish Young Player of the Year award, offers flooded in and Mick McCarthy, then managing Sunderland, persuaded Murphy to move back to England.

“It didn’t take long for Daryl to make his mark with Waterford, his talent always shone through,” said McGeough.

McCarthy was replaced by Roy Keane soon after Murphy’s arrival at the Stadium of Light but that didn’t hinder his progress. He won a Championship medal and played over 120 games for the club before finding his chances limited under Steve Bruce.

The twist in the fairytale came yesterday when Neil Lennon, the Celtic manager, signed him on a three-year contract. Murphy’s transformation is complete. From the scrapheap to Paradise, all within eight years.

“Daryl will fit in perfectly with the type of team Neil is trying to build at Celtic,” said McGeough. “He can lead the line and cause problems for defenders.

“If you get the ball played up to him and get two wingers firing crosses into the box, Daryl will be a star for Celtic. Neil wants young guys with a bit of experience and hunger and that’s what Daryl has in abundance.”

Murphy evidently has quite a story to tell, but the film can wait. Lennon will merely be hoping that his new acquisition proves to be a box-office smash on the pitch.

Edited by Propagandhi® - 07 Sep 2010 at 7:16am
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Propagandhi® Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2010 at 3:01pm

Daryl Murphy insists Rangers' Champions League clash with Manchester United at Old Trafford will inspire him to help Celtic regain the Clydesdale Bank Premier League title back from their Old Firm rivals.

The Hoops, knocked out of both the Europa League and Champions League qualifiers this season, will have six free midweeks before Christmas while the Ibrox side enjoy the fruits of last season's SPL championship win, starting against the Red Devils next Tuesday.

Speaking at Celtic Park, where along with new signing Anthony Stokes he was publicising the extension of a partnership between the club and coach company Citylink, he said: "I will watch them (Rangers), I always watch the Champions League games. We will see them playing against Manchester United but it can only give us that extra boost."

He added: "We know we need to win the league this year, it's a simple as that.

"You want to play at the highest level you can and the incentive for me is to win the league and play there next year."

He continued: "We are all obviously disappointed to be knocked out both European competitions.

"You want to be there. You want to be lifting the title at the end of the season and playing in the Champions League.

"We all want to be there but we are not because we haven't been good enough.

"Rangers won the title, we have come up a bit short but hopefully this season we can turn it around."

Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Propagandhi® Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2010 at 8:12am
Daryl%20Murphy%20Image%202

Daryl Murphy Image 2

He already has Scott McDonald's mantelpiece. That was the easy bit.

Now Daryl Murphy is about to become engaged in a five-way shootout to grab the little Aussie's mantle as a Celtic match-winner into the bargain.

The Irish striker moved into McDonald's house in leafy Thortonhall on the south side of Glasgow earlier this summer after clinching £1.5million move from Sunderland.

And ever since then he's been waiting patiently for the chance to prove he can make himself feel equally at home as the spearhead of Neil Lennon's freshly-assembled side.

Murphy finally got the nod at Motherwell a fortnight ago and slammed home the spot-kick which preserved Lennon's 100-per-cent winning record in the SPL.

Two weeks on and he's ready to go again. Except this time he has yet another new arrival hungrily eyeing his starting place.

Anthony Stokes - the last of Lennon's summer recruitment drive - joined Murphy at Parkhead yesterday to help the club announce its latest commercial tie-up, a partnership with a bus firm.

Fitting really. You wait half a year for a goalscorer and two of them come along at once.

Not since Skippy's sale to Middlesbrough was sanctioned back in January have Celtic owned their own out-and-out predator, even if they loaned Robbie Keane as a hired gun from Spurs for a little while.

Now Murphy, Stokes, Garry Hooper, Georgios Samaras and Shaun Maloney are all set to slug it out for a regular starting place as poacher-in-chief.

And Murphy is determined to follow in the footsteps of his free scoring landlord by making himself the one man Celtic cannot afford to do without.

He said: "It'll be cut-throat between us all but thankfully I scored against Motherwell and hopefully now I've given the manager a bit of a headache.

"I believe in myself. I said when I first signed I knew I wasn't going to get into the team straight away and I'd have to wait for my chance but my first opportunity came against Motherwell and I scored.

"It doesn't matter who is coming in we're going to be battling it out for places in the team but hopefully I'll be the one who plays.

"You know if you do start a game then you have to score because there's going to be good strikers on the bench."

With Keane now back in London, there remains a lingering suspicion that McDonald's goals will still be missed by Celtic this season. Two 1-0 wins on the road at Inverness and Fir Park would appear to add weight to the theory.

And the irony isn't lost on Murphy. He said: "I'm living in Scott's house but I haven't had the chance to speak to him about life at Celtic. He was away down the road when I moved in and the one time he was coming back up to the house I was away so I didn't get the chance to meet him.

"But I'm aware of the job he did for this team. I used to watch the games and he was a very good player and scored a lot of goals."

Now the race to replace him is well and truly on and Murphy believes the first striker to emerge as the front runner could stay there for the season.

He said: "It's good because you can see everyone is working really hard to impress the manager and hopefully get picked for the game.

"You're cursing the others if they're banging them in in training but if they are doing that you've just got to make sure you are doing it as well. That's the challenge in training every single day.

"But there is definitely a chance of staying in the side if you make an impact early. We've signed a lot of players and it would always take a while to find a starting 11.

"Now with Anthony signing as well there is still 11 places up for grabs and it's up to us to claim them."

Stokes and Murphy were team-mates at Sunderland in a previous life.

Tomorrow they may be paired up again and charged with the task of gunning down Hearts together at Parkhead. And it cannot come quickly enough for Stokes who has been in a hurry to get his Celtic career started ever since switching from Hibs on the final day of the transfer window.

He said: "I was looking forward to getting into it as quickly as possible but the international week got in the way. But it worked out well because I got a game in Switzerland with the Under-21s so that was good for my fitness. Hopefully it'll help me be a bit sharper for Saturday.

"I'm feeling ready for it. I have a good pre-season behind me and I scored in the first game of the season so I'm coming into this full of confidence. Hopefully I'll get a run o u t at some stage or, fingers crossed, get a starting place.

"I've had two or three chats with the manager and I've been getting good vibes. I think I have a good chance of playing in his team, though I'll have to do well and take my chance when it comes."

Stokes gave off the impression of a kiddie in a sweetie shop as he settled into his new surrounds.

The 22-year-old, a life-long Celtic fan, added: "When you come here on days like this and look around the stadium you get a feel for the size of the club and the fan base. But it's been spot-on so far.

"As far as I can see all the players love training and are excited about what they are doing. It's a good place to be and I have really enjoyed it.

"I have always loved playing here. But it's a better feeling to know you're part of the home side and you have a chance of getting out there and scoring.

"It's going to be different playing for Celtic. I'll have to change my style. A lot of teams just sit back and put 10 or 11 men behind the ball and I'll have to get used to that. But the gaffer has told me to get into the box and get on the end of things.

"I scored a few last year with Hibs and if I get more chances here then hopefully I can score as many if not more."

Anthony Stokes and Daryl Murphy yesterday unveiled Celtic's latest business tie-up.

The Parkhead club have joined forces with coach company Citylink for another season.

Stephanie Docherty, operations manager for Citylink, said: "As a sponsor, we are delighted to have been given the opportunity to highlight what is on offer for keen football fans who want to follow their team across the country."

Padraig88 View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Padraig88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2010 at 9:38am

Murphy still has hope for green jersey

By Aidan Fitzmaurice

Monday October 11 2010

DARYL Murphy was in action for his club in the capital yesterday, just a few miles away from the Ireland training camp where Giovanni Trapattoni was making his final preparations for tomorrow's Euro 2012 qualifier in Slovakia.

But it seems that the Ireland squad is a million miles away for Murphy (pictured) right now as the former Sunderland man, despite some impressive displays up front at Celtic with an all-Ireland attack alongside Dubliner Anthony Stokes, has fallen way down the pecking order.

But even though it's more than two years since he even made it into the Ireland squad, let alone won a cap, Murphy retains hope of playing for his country again.

"Of course, I would prefer to be in the Irish squad," Murphy said after appearing for Neil Lennon's side in their 4-1 friendly win over Bohemians at Dalymount Park.

"I went to the Russia game on Friday and it wasn't great, to be honest. I'd prefer to be there than here, but that's the way things are. I just need to start playing more and get into the Celtic team on a regular basis.

"I was in the squad before and was third-choice striker behind Robbie and Doyler, and then out of nowhere I wasn't in the squad. It's something I have to just deal with and concentrate on Celtic.

"I feel I could contribute and do a job for Ireland but it's not up to me, it's up to the manager," added Murphy.

The former Waterford United man was handed his international debut by Steve Staunton against Ecuador in 2007 and he won six caps under 'Stan', including three appearances in the unsussessful Euro 2008 qualifying campaign.

Things started off well under Staunton's successor as Murphy, then at Sunderland, played under Trapattoni against Serbia and Norway, but since that draw in Oslo back in 2008 he hasn't worn the green shirt -- and the last time he even featured was when he was on the bench for the 0-0 draw away to Montenegro in October 2008, sitting alongside players such as Andy Reid and Damien Delaney, who have followed Murphy into the international wilderness and not played again.

But Murphy has been revived by a move from the fringes at the Stadium of Light to a key role at Celtic -- and so far the move has worked.

"It's a massive club and you don't get many chances at Celtic, you have to take the chance when it comes along," he said. "At the minute it is going well, but we have a lot of players and a lot of competition for places. If you play, you have to do well to stay in the team.

"I enjoyed my time on loan at Ipswich last season. I scored some important goals there and played every game, so that was pleasing to be back playing. I got that hunger back again because I had been on the bench -- or not even in the squad -- at Sunderland for such a long time that it wasn't enjoyable. I have the hunger back again, I want to win things as I am not getting any younger.

"It was good to get another 90 minutes under my belt," he said after scoring twice for Celtic in the Dalymount win. In the last few games for Celtic I have been coming off the bench and playing a few minutes so it was nice to get a game in."

Edited by Padraig88 - 11 Oct 2010 at 9:38am
Jokerman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jokerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2010 at 9:55am
Murphy is out for 3-4 weeks.
Jokerman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jokerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2010 at 7:19pm

Celtic striker Daryl Murphy is back in contention for a place in the side against Hearts at Tynecastle on Wednesday.

However, the Republic of Ireland striker's recovery from an ankle injury is unlikely to see him displace Gary Hooper or Anthony Stokes, both of whom hit hat-tricks in the amazing 9-0 win over Aberdeen on Saturday.

Edited by Jokerman - 09 Nov 2010 at 7:19pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 61>
  Share Topic