Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDarren Gibson

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2007 at 4:10pm
I think there is complete apathy on both sides towards a United Ireland team.
Sponsored Links

zizu Kilbane View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2007 at 4:37pm
1st problem with a united Ireland would be Irelands call would be the "national anthem"LOL
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2007 at 5:20pm
The_Yank View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2007 at 5:39pm
Originally posted by zizu Kilbane zizu Kilbane wrote:

1st problem with a united Ireland would be Irelands call would be the "national anthem"LOL

How about singing "On the one road" I like it much better than Irelands call and it is a song that would cover the entire country.  Smile
UCD Physios ...We feel you up when you're feeling down
FREEWHEELER View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
sPICE UP YOUR LIFE Gwan MONROY

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2007 at 6:59pm
RTE would never let On the One Road become our National Anthem cos of its connection to the Tones.  RTE fckn despise the Tones.
We'll never die, we'll never die, we'll keep the Green Flag flying high......Shamrock Rovers will never die, we'll keep the Green Flag Flying high. 19 Leagues and 25 Cups.....
ernesto guevara View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2007 at 2:13pm

FIFA propose solution to eligibility row

Tuesday, 6 November 2007 18:28

FIFA has sent a letter to the football associations of Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland suggesting that players from either side of the border should have free choice about who they play for.

The proposal was formulated by FIFA's legal committee in response to a long-running argument between the two FAI and IFA over the selection of international players.

Currently, players born in Northern Ireland are generally eligible to turn out for the Republic of Ireland providing they have not yet played a competitive match for Northern Ireland  but the same does not apply in reverse.

Under the new suggestion put forward by world soccer's governing body, players born in the Republic of Ireland and holding Irish nationality could choose to play for Northern Ireland.

FIFA said on Tuesday it had sent the proposal to the two associations and asked for their feedback.

It added that any final decision on the matter would have to be approved by FIFA's executive committee.

A FIFA spokesman said that no deadline had yet been set for that decision.

The case of Darron Gibson, a former Northern Ireland schoolboy player who has since been selected for Ireland, particularly infuriated the IFA, which wanted FIFA to ban future changes of allegiance.

The FAI welcomed the decision by FIFA and described it as 'a common sense approach'.

'In principle we are very happy with the decision and delighted that common sense has prevailed,' FAI chief executive John Delaney told Reuters news agency.

'We will discuss and evaluate the proposal put forward. We have worked hard behind the scenes with FIFA to reach a compromise which was right. It is good news for Irish football.'

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2007 at 2:18pm
Cant see the northen monkeys being happy with this.....Fu*k them.... 1 nil to the Republic and well done to fifa,good to see common sence prevailingClap
If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.
stiofain View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2007 at 3:24pm
Jesus, NI people will be seething at this. Due to the nature of the problem, its extremely unlikely anyone from the Republic desires to play for Northern Ireland whereas there is a good chance that a couple more lads from Derry, Newry, Belfast etc will want to represent the Republic. 

They will gain nothing from this and will probably find this new ruling offensive. Unfortunately i think this arguement will go on.
"you can keep your Costa Brava, im telling ya mate id rather have a day down Margate with all me family"
stiofain View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2007 at 3:33pm
Just seen it on the BBC site, but it makes no mention of this compromise Question
"you can keep your Costa Brava, im telling ya mate id rather have a day down Margate with all me family"
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2007 at 3:54pm
The north will defo fight this till the death,as you say they have nothing to gain from this comprimise were as we have everything to gain from it,if this rule goes ahead it will be a major sucess for us.
The_Yank View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2007 at 4:03pm
Good Compromise FIFA Clap
Like others have said... I don't see anyone in the Republic ever playing for the 6 counties. The IFA just can't win here LOL
The_Yank View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2007 at 8:48am
"Opportune time for All Ireland soccer team"- Mc Elduff
Other stories for 7 November, 2007

Published: 7 November, 2007

Sinn Féin MLA and Assembly Culture Committee Chairperson Barry Mc Elduff has welcomed a FIFA move to allow six county soccer players to play for Ireland and has said the need for an All Ireland football team has never been greater.

Mr Mc Elduff has said,

"I welcome this common sense approach by FIFA to allow soccer player from whichever county in Ireland to play for their national team.

"The Good Friday Agreement made provision that everybody born in the six counties is entitled to Irish citizenship.

"My party colleague Paul Maskey had written to FIFA and we view today's news as a success and a move towards an All Ireland soccer team.

"The need for an All Ireland soccer team has now never been greater."

Deireadh 
gouldinho View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2007 at 8:56am
Now i can achieve my dream of playing for northern Ireland! Jackie Fullerton here i come
Justice View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2007 at 9:02am
How about "Come Out You Black and Tans" thenLOLLOLLOL
Irelands Call my arse...
stiofain View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2007 at 12:21pm

So have people from Northern Ireland only been allowed an Irish passport / citizenship since the Good Friday Agreement? Anyone know?

Cant imagine Gerry Adams and the like using a British passport when going on thier holidays pre late 1990's
cass123456 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2007 at 1:19pm
Im from belfast and Ive had an irish passport for many years before the good friday agreement
RogerMilla View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
#TEAMJAVIER #ENGANCHE

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2007 at 1:29am
we always gave passports to anyone from the north who wanted it , your man chris mcgimpsey even got one so he could fight the anglo irish agreement in the courts
The first time the Devil made me do it. The second time I did it on my own.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2007 at 2:39am
Em i dont think it is a huge success 4 us. The north could now take advantage of the granny rule... a lad in england with a grandparent born in the republic could now play 4 the north. If the north get 2 the player b4 us and he is not steaped in irish heritage, he could easily pick the north over us.  
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic