You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Dara O'Shea

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1819202122 31>
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2021 at 9:48pm
Originally posted by aviva8 aviva8 wrote:

O'shea and egan are premiership quality 

Egan isn't for me.

O'Shea will spend the majority of his career in the Premier League. I think he could do a job for a top 10 team due to his decent ability on the ball 
Sponsored Links

Fruice View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fruice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2021 at 10:50pm
Originally posted by kevin100 kevin100 wrote:

Originally posted by Fruice Fruice wrote:

I can’t get over all this they are better in the lower divisions if they are good enough stat up there fight for your spot play against the best and improve and learn from your mistakes.

Staying at level below you is only good for lads breaking into first team football 

O Shea is a way better off in the premier league 

He’s more then good enough yes. Context is everything he’s in a side likely to be competing for the Championship and a side that will go back up next year and he’s still only 22 young for a CB. If he was playing for Sheffield Utd I’d agree Egan is a player I’d like to see get out of Sheffield. 
But in what context does this make a difference.
In the championship he will be playing against weaker opposition what is he learning here that he won’t be in the premier league?
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2021 at 11:17pm

I can’t get over all this they are better in the lower divisions if they are good enough stat up there fight for your spot play against the best and improve and learn from your mistakes.

Staying at level below you is only good for lads breaking into first team football 

He’s more then good enough yes. Context is everything he’s in a side likely to be competing for the Championship and a side that will go back up next year and he’s still only 22 young for a CB. If he was playing for Sheffield Utd I’d agree Egan is a player I’d like to see get out of Sheffield. 
In the championship he will be playing against weaker opposition what is he learning here that he won’t be in the premier league?

I have given my reasoning he’s young still in a side that are odds on to go straight back up this season. He could end up at a Norwich or another team and be straight back down anyways yet find himself on the bench/in and out the team. 

He’s establishing himself as cast iron first name on the teamsheet at West Brom now potentially going straight back up and putting him in line for a long career at top flight football/transfer if they go straight back down again etc! 

I do see your point and think it’s odd PL teams haven’t tried to sign him. Young CBs with potential aren’t exactly overwhelming in English football. 

Edited by kevin100 - 18 Aug 2021 at 11:19pm
Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2021 at 11:20pm

He'll play week in and out in the Championship and probably get promoted again with a team that will continue to play him week in an out next season in the Premier League.

There is not a club in the Premier League that he could walk into right now and be guaranteed starter.

At his age, playing games on a consistent basis is invaluable.

Look at Collins at Burnley, his career is going stagnate for at least a year because Dyche is sticking to his tried and tested first choice of Mee and Tarkowski for the season.
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2021 at 4:42am

O'Shea is 22, very young for a CB. Taking most CB's as an example, he won't be peaking for another 5 years. 

I think you're forgetting that he has played in a few different positions since he broke in to the team; RB, CB and Allardyce even stuck him at LB. This looks like the first season where he'll play at CB for the whole season. So he still has plenty of learning to do. He'll make mistakes, and it's better to do that in the Championship, than in front of a global audience who watch the EPL.

You've contradicted yourself with the final part of the post. Staying at Championship level this season will be crucial for O'Shea's development, as this will (or should) be his chance to play at CB all season.

If you were speaking about someone like Kevin Long, 31 not 22, then your point would be valid.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
exgrad View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote exgrad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2021 at 9:26am
Harry Maguire was playing in the championship at 24.  O'Shea will be playing for a team challenging for the title and under pressure to win every week.  Looks like he'll be playing CB all the time as well, which is his best position undoubtedly.  If he can stay injury free should be a great season for him.
greenshoots View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greenshoots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2021 at 9:35am
Delighted to see O'Shea have a great start to the season. He wasnt always 1st choice under Big Sam last year but his form guarantees that now and 40+ games in a season will be huge in his career development. We talk about having loads of CB's but Omobamidele isnt guaranteed games at Norwich as he is still very young and Collins may well have to wait for his chance at Burnley, so we do need O'Shea playing regularly as he will be a starter for Ireland for the games in Sept.
aviva8 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aviva8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2021 at 10:41pm
Hopefully the injury wasn't to bad
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2021 at 10:44pm

Looked like he jarred his knee badly. Similar happened to Smallbone and he was out for nearly 9 months. 

Hopefully not too serious as hes been brilliant for West brom and ireland
Liam Green View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liam Green Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2021 at 10:51pm
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

Looked like he jarred his knee badly. Similar happened to Smallbone and he was out for nearly 9 months. 

Hopefully not too serious as hes been brilliant for West brom and ireland
Hopefully not but it does look like knee ligament damage
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2021 at 10:59pm
Looked like he went over his ankle and not his knee?
The replay showed his angle stretched beyond where it should go.

We'll know in a day or two after a scan but I'd say that's him out of the next two games anyway unless it's just a twist.

Edited by Fozz - 01 Sep 2021 at 10:59pm
Liam Green View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liam Green Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2021 at 11:07pm
Originally posted by Fozz Fozz wrote:

Looked like he went over his ankle and not his knee?
The replay showed his angle stretched beyond where it should go.

We'll know in a day or two after a scan but I'd say that's him out of the next two games anyway unless it's just a twist.

You may be right Fozz. I’ve seen knee ligament damage a lot when the studs get stuck in ground and then twist . Hopefully it’s not as bad as it looks 
geansaí View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geansaí Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2021 at 12:36am
It was his ankle as far as I saw, although I didn't really see which way the knee went. Looked like his foot nearly done a 180 degree turn-I'm no doctor but would be amazed if he came out of that with no damage done. Fingers crossed from him though cos it's not always as bad as it looks!
shakeyshamrock View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shakeyshamrock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2021 at 12:39am
SK said it didn't look good in his interview - normally if the initial assessment is negative like that it's not going to be ok overnight.. I'd say a few weeks out minimum
notpropaganda73 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote notpropaganda73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2021 at 10:26am
If it's just a few weeks I'll be happy, it looked like one of those that could do lasting damage. I was delighted with him for fouling the Portuguese lad as well, they were on a dangerous break. 

He's gonna be a stalwart for us so hopefully gets back on the pitch soon and continues his good form for West Brom.
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2021 at 10:30am
Originally posted by notpropaganda73 notpropaganda73 wrote:

If it's just a few weeks I'll be happy, it looked like one of those that could do lasting damage. I was delighted with him for fouling the Portuguese lad as well, they were on a dangerous break. 

He's gonna be a stalwart for us so hopefully gets back on the pitch soon and continues his good form for West Brom.

Fact he walked off made me quite happy it isn't anything major. Even if he's out for 2 months okay that's not too bad but I just pray he isn't out for 6 months or anything crazy for West Brom more then Ireland as he's really establishing himself as a mainstay there.
Landsdowne90 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Landsdowne90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2021 at 12:16pm
Fingers crossed we get word on this soon, hope nothing too serious. Speedy recovery Dara Thumbs Up
Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2021 at 10:32pm
Out for 3 to 4 months with ligament damage. Cry
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1819202122 31>
  Share Topic