You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Dan Crowley

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5253545556 62>
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tetsujin1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2019 at 8:27am
Think you're missing one important fact there, all of these managers have time to work with their players to improve them. International managers have, at most, a week. That's nowhere near enough time to improve a player. 

Edited by tetsujin1979 - 29 Aug 2019 at 8:27am
All goals, red & yellow cards posted on mastodon and facebook
Sponsored Links

BippityBoop View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BippityBoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2019 at 8:34am

Disagree Deise, Ireland obviously can't play any type of possession based dfootball against any team, seeing as we've not done so in the last 10 years /s

Seriously though, I honestly don't get this attitude. I'm not one to bash the management all the time like some people on here, but surely the reason we play hoofball against all teams we play is down to the management style. As some people have said, these lads are professionals playing in the top 2 tiers of English football.

Time will only tell if Kenny will be able to change that, but I'm super excited to see how he progresses the team and brings some of the exciting young prospects into the fold and hopefully instill some sort of progressive philosophy. I really just hope he is given sufficient time.

Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2019 at 8:57am
Originally posted by tetsujin1979 tetsujin1979 wrote:

Think you're missing one important fact there, all of these managers have time to work with their players to improve them. International managers have, at most, a week. That's nowhere near enough time to improve a player. 

Improving the players is one thing but making them worse is another. We have all watched games with so called lesser opposition in which ireland were disorganised and struggled to move the ball. Also remember than other nations have the same amount of time with their players.

Sometimes it looked like there was no direction for the players at all 

That being said I think mccarthy is a vast improvement on what we've had for the last 10 years 
kearney304 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kearney304 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2019 at 12:44pm
Originally posted by CarlowMan1888 CarlowMan1888 wrote:

Typical YBIG looking for a cause celebre now that Hoolahan is gone. Only this time it's worse. Hoolahan was playing regularly. Crowley was playing for a mediocre team in a mediocre league. Then moves to Birmingham and isn't even starting. What's worse is he is not fully eligible yet. But of course YBIG need someone to moan about now that Andy Reid, Stephen Ireland and Wes Hoolahan are firmly out of the picture.

Shame on you YBIG
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't ask me about car warranty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2019 at 12:17am
Originally posted by tetsujin1979 tetsujin1979 wrote:

I'd agree it isn't enough time, but at the same time, I don't think we've ever had a manager who tried it. They tend to look at what they have, assess it and arrive at the conclusion ''this is the way we'll play''. Oddly enough, one of the managers (JC) who had a choice of some of our finest footballers ever, assessed what he had, then deliberately set out to play in a more ''non-footballing'' direct manner after coming to the conclusion that most other teams weren't playing like that, wouldn't be able to deal with it, and it could get him results. 

He was right with that theory as well, and it did get results. Egil Olsen did similar with Norway for a few years too. All that was around 25-30 years ago though. The thing there is that Jack (and Egil) reverting to a basic game was actually somewhat innovative in itself at the time, most other teams were trying to play football. 

Mick did opt for a better style the first time around, but it took him a while to get there too, there was much (necessary) rebuilding & experimentation across the 2 campaigns we didn't qualify for under him. No manager today would get that time. The style we have been playing since he left in 2002 has been player driven and not manager driven, and when I say player driven, it is really the manager's assessment of players abilities. Stan, Trap & MON regularly commented they ''didn't have the players'', Kerr didn't say things like that in public, but the playing style was similarly conservative, as were his tactical decisions (Kavanagh for Robbie Keane V Israel when we were 2-0 up and cruising will always haunt me)

I mentioned Daniel Farke earlier on, and like probably everyone else, I never heard of him before he went to Norwich. The England U21 squad was named today and has 3 of his players in it, all debutants. If he took the ''I don't have the players'' approach, would those 3 lads have got games for Norwich or been selected for England U21 ? Would Rodgers have his current career if he took the ''I don't have the players'' approach at Swansea ?? 

I'd be the very first to agree our players have limitations, some of them fairly large ones, but the game has evolved to the point where coaches who bring those credentials are the ones being sought after. Generally not sought after by us though.  If the manager basically makes little difference to the way we play, and you could certainly argue the last few haven't, bar generally being defensively organised, why don't we give Noel King the job ? We did actually give him an important job for most of a decade, and it wasn't exactly a success. 

I suppose to sum all that up, we have a manager who looks at players, assesses their limitations and decides to play in a certain way. I think a more modern manager such as those mentioned in above post, would firstly identify a style of play, then identify the players he needs to fit that and work from there. That isn't as simple as deciding we are going to play like Man City either, we certainly don't have the players to do that, but when you look at yer attacking style Norwich and Sheff U (complete with overlapping centre backs) doing innovative things with players of roughly similar ability to ours (we even share 4 of them with Sheff U), I don't see why Ireland shouldn't attempt to come up with some innovation of our own, like Jack once did. 

In reality, what was originally an innovation by Jack got mistaken for a template by most of his successors, and we haven't really evolved from it in 3 decades, save for an intermission around 2002. Hopefully Kenny might change that with the aid of some exciting prospects, but if it doesn't change, we will likely never see another WC (unless they expand it....which they probably will) and as for the Euros, we will probably make 1 in 3 and not trouble anything further than the QFs unless we get lucky or play for pens. 

Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....
cildaratown View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

killdare town

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cildaratown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2019 at 3:09pm
Dropped to the bench again
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2019 at 3:11pm
Originally posted by cildaratown cildaratown wrote:

Seems like we have a lot of bench warmers today -

Southampton- Shane long on the bench

Sheffield Utd - Egan, Stevens and Robinson start, McGoldrick on the bench

Palace - McCarthy on the bench

Brighton - Duffy and Connolly on the bench

Villa - hourihane on the bench

Newcastle - Clarke on the bench

Bristol - O’Dowda on the bench

Birmingham - Crowley on the bench 

Stoke - mcclean starts, Hogan on the bench

Derby - keogh and knight start 

Milwall - molumby and Williams on the bench

Preston - Browne starts,

Charlton. - Cullen starts 

aviva8 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aviva8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2019 at 5:07pm
Watch the game today. He came on with about 25 min to go and was excellent turned the game around even the commenters said he has run the show Sense coming on
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2019 at 5:47pm
Originally posted by aviva8 aviva8 wrote:

Watch the game today. He came on with about 25 min to go and was excellent turned the game around even the commenters said he has run the show Sense coming on

His legs are gone. 
GB 1HughJarse View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GB 1HughJarse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2019 at 6:17pm
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

Originally posted by cildaratown cildaratown wrote:

Seems like we have a lot of bench warmers today -
<p ="p1"><span ="s1" style=": rgba255, 255, 255, 0;" original_font_attr="-1" original_line_height_attr="">Southampton- Shane long on the bench</span>

<p ="p1"><span ="s1" style=": rgba255, 255, 255, 0;" original_font_attr="-1" original_line_height_attr="">Sheffield Utd - Egan, Stevens and Robinson start, McGoldrick on the bench</span>

<p ="p1"><span ="s1" style=": rgba255, 255, 255, 0;" original_font_attr="-1" original_line_height_attr="">Palace - McCarthy on the bench</span>

<p ="p1"><span ="s1" style=": rgba255, 255, 255, 0;" original_font_attr="-1" original_line_height_attr="">Brighton - Duffy and Connolly on the bench</span>

<p ="p1"><span ="s1" style=": rgba255, 255, 255, 0;" original_font_attr="-1" original_line_height_attr="">Villa - hourihane on the bench</span>

<p ="p1"><span ="s1" style=": rgba255, 255, 255, 0;" original_font_attr="-1" original_line_height_attr="">Newcastle - Clarke on the bench</span>

<p ="p1"><span ="s1" style=": rgba255, 255, 255, 0;" original_font_attr="-1" original_line_height_attr="">Bristol - O’Dowda on the bench</span>

<p ="p1"><span ="s1" style=": rgba255, 255, 255, 0;" original_font_attr="-1" original_line_height_attr="">Birmingham - Crowley on the bench </span>

<p ="p1"><span ="s1" style=": rgba255, 255, 255, 0;" original_font_attr="-1" original_line_height_attr="">Stoke - mcclean starts, Hogan on the bench</span>

<p ="p1"><span ="s1" style=": rgba255, 255, 255, 0;" original_font_attr="-1" original_line_height_attr="">Derby - keogh and knight start </span>

<p ="p1"><span ="s1" style=": rgba255, 255, 255, 0;" original_font_attr="-1" original_line_height_attr="">Milwall - molumby and Williams on the bench</span>

<p ="p1"><span ="s1" style=": rgba255, 255, 255, 0;" original_font_attr="-1" original_line_height_attr="">Preston - Browne starts,</span>

<p ="p1"><span ="s1" style=": rgba255, 255, 255, 0;" original_font_attr="-1" original_line_height_attr="">Charlton. - Cullen starts </span>

You say “bench warmers”.
I say “well rested”.
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kearney304 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2019 at 10:30pm
Imagine we had a creative number 10 available tonight for this match. 

Could have easily opened up Bulgaria and set up a goal or 2. 

Probably see him in Tbilisi. 
Lansdown Roar View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lansdown Roar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2019 at 10:31pm
We had Jack Byrne so what are you talking about?
They've only gone and done it
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't ask me about car warranty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2019 at 10:40pm
Originally posted by kearney304 kearney304 wrote:

Mick; Repeatedly picks same squad and team. Gives interviews before and after friendly game stating its unlikely that new players will start V Georgia or Swiss. 
Pundits Doyle, Meyler & Sadlier state that both from their experience and tonight's evidence, no player has shown enough for Mick to consider him over the players he has picked already to start (bench might be a different story)

Ybig Poster; Interprets all that as new (and as yet, ineligible) player having a chance of playing in Tbilisi. 

Aye, sure of course he'll start, probably set up 2 and get MOTM as well. 

Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kearney304 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2019 at 10:42pm
More chance of Crowley than Byrne making a cameo appearance. 

Mick was ticking the box tonight - keep the league happy. Sure isn't Mick great going to Irish games.
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2019 at 10:42pm

I’m not sure Brummagem will be happy that he is going off on the piss mid-season.
MC Hammered View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2019 at 10:44pm
Originally posted by deise316 deise316 wrote:

Mick; Repeatedly picks same squad and team. Gives interviews before and after friendly game stating its unlikely that new players will start V Georgia or Swiss. 
Pundits Doyle, Meyler & Sadlier state that both from their experience and tonight's evidence, no player has shown enough for Mick to consider him over the players he has picked already to start (bench might be a different story)

Ybig Poster; Interprets all that as new (and as yet, ineligible) player having a chance of playing in Tbilisi. 

LOL
El Puto Amo
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2019 at 10:53pm
Originally posted by deise316 deise316 wrote:

I’m pretty sure Kearney had his tongue in his cheek there, although it is hard to tell on here and I may be giving him too much credit.
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kearney304 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2019 at 10:54pm
Wink
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5253545556 62>
  Share Topic