Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Dan Crowley

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1516171819 62>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2017 at 8:21pm
Bit early to be writing off Byrne or Crowley, Crowley is only 19 ffs Not really sure about the "johnny big b*llox" crap either, are they supposed to have no belief in themselves? What is it with Irish people being unable to cope with a bit of self-confidence...
We're decent enough..
Sponsored Links

Dugs View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dugs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2017 at 8:40pm
Originally posted by Citizen Citizen wrote:

Looking at this lad, Clifford, and even jack Byrne, it just shows you the gap there is to make it as a professional. All 3 Johnny big bollixes too.
i dont see much wrong with signing for a dutch top flight club. Good luck to him. More players should broaden their horizons.
Citizen View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2017 at 2:52pm
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

Bit early to be writing off Byrne or Crowley, Crowley is only 19 ffs Not really sure about the "johnny big b*llox" crap either, are they supposed to have no belief in themselves? What is it with Irish people being unable to cope with a bit of self-confidence...

there is a difference between confidence and over confidence. byrne couldnt get a kick for crap wigan or blackburn sides, saying he should be in the euro 2016 team, had a few decent games for a bottom of the table dutch team and thinks he is the sh*tt. sorry that is johnny big bollllix stuff. put the head down and work hard, and improve. 
My Views are my own and do not in any way represent this site.

'The FAI are the dysfunctional body that other dysfunctional bodies call Galacticos' - Declan Lynch (Sunday Indo)
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2017 at 3:39pm

there is a difference between confidence and over confidence. byrne couldnt get a kick for crap wigan or blackburn sides, saying he should be in the euro 2016 team, had a few decent games for a bottom of the table dutch team and thinks he is the sh*tt. sorry that is johnny big bollllix stuff. put the head down and work hard, and improve. 

Typical Irish begrudgery what evidence do you have he wasn't working hard? Being confident in yourself and having a good work ethic are not mutually exclusive, you can be both.
We're decent enough..
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2017 at 3:53pm

Typical Irish begrudgery what evidence do you have he wasn't working hard? Being confident in yourself and having a good work ethic are not mutually exclusive, you can be both.
While I may not agree with him 100%, how on earth is it begrudgery? (no need for the Irish btw, it is an Irish word)
dubstep View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dubstep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2017 at 5:22pm
When did he say he should be in the squad for the Euros ?
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2017 at 7:57pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

While I may not agree with him 100%, how on earth is it begrudgery? (no need for the Irish btw, it is an Irish word)

Begrudging a talented young man his confident attitude. And yes, there is a need for the "Irish", because anyone can begrudge, we're just tparticularly bad for it
We're decent enough..
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2017 at 8:34pm

Begrudging a talented young man his confident attitude. And yes, there is a need for the "Irish", because anyone can begrudge, we're just tparticularly bad for it
Begrudgery is Irish though, it is only used in Hiberno-English, the equivalent over here is 'tall poppy syndrome', which isn't really synonymous definition. Begrudgery is both an Irish word and phenomena, and one I find to be often misused.
I don't think he is begrudging him his confident attitude, rather wishing he backed up the talk on the pitch more. There is nothing wrong with confidence or self-belief, in fact it is probably a necessity in football, but too many players appear to believe they have made it prematurely these days. I have no evidence of Crowley thinking this way, but Byrne had some tweets at Blackburn that didn't see him come across particularly well.
Just as having a work ethic and self-confidence aren't mutually exclusive, neither is having self-confidence and a bit of consideration.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2017 at 12:17am

Begrudgery is Irish though, it is only used in Hiberno-English, the equivalent over here is 'tall poppy syndrome', which isn't really synonymous definition. Begrudgery is both an Irish word and phenomena, and one I find to be often misused.
I don't think he is begrudging him his confident attitude, rather wishing he backed up the talk on the pitch more. There is nothing wrong with confidence or self-belief, in fact it is probably a necessity in football, but too many players appear to believe they have made it prematurely these days. I have no evidence of Crowley thinking this way, but Byrne had some tweets at Blackburn that didn't see him come across particularly well.
Just as having a work ethic and self-confidence aren't mutually exclusive, neither is having self-confidence and a bit of consideration.

Schadenfreude is a German word, that doesn't mean only Germans are capable of experiencing it. Give the pedantry a rest PM, if you've a genuine point of concern then fair enough, but why nitpick over semantics on a football forum?
We're decent enough..
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2017 at 1:05am

Schadenfreude is a German word, that doesn't mean only Germans are capable of experiencing it. Give the pedantry a rest PM, if you've a genuine point of concern then fair enough, but why nitpick over semantics on a football forum?
Because, believe it or not, the nuance and semantics of language fascinates me and I like seeing it being used correctly. As you can see when I make a mistake on here, many people seem to take pleasure when I make a mistake, presumably as some sort of revenge, when in fact it is quite the opposite; I take a certain pleasure in that too. 
I also merely mentioned it as an aside, that's why I put in brackets, as it wasn't wrong or incorrect, merely that the word 'Irish' was superfluous in this instance. 
On that note, I now feel I have to point out the origins and usage of 'schadenfreude' are completely different to 'begrudgery', and I don't just mean in definition. Schadenfreude is a word that was borrowed from the German language because there wasn't an exact word for it in English, it is now commonly used in the English language across the whole  English speaking world. 
The word 'begrudgery' is a word developed in Ireland within the English language from the verb 'begrudge', it doesn't exist outside of Ireland or Irish people as a noun, it has a snide uneasiness to it that isn't in there in the verb. The concept itself is uniquely Irish, as I have mentioned, 'tall poppy syndrome' is used elsewhere in the Anglosphere but I really don't feel it is quite the same as 'begrudgery'. I feel the word is difficult to explain to those outwith the Irish, even the definition a quick online dictionary search doesn't do it justice;envy, a begrudging attitude.
 I just asked an English person, as an aside, did they know how to spell the word, I was told that there is no such word. They were very familiar with the concept of schadenfreude, however.

Anyway, I have digressed enough! Apologies for my interest in things which are trifling to others, I genuinely didn't mean for it to takeover the debate.

Back on topic,I just felt the word was being used here unnecessarily , I don't think it is 'begrudgery' to suggest these lads may have become a little too big for their boots. As I have said, I am not sure about Crowley, but Byrne in particular gave off that impression in tweets while at Blackburn, which, in fairness to him, seemed in stark contrast with previous interviews with him. 
I could see how someone could come to that conclusion though , and doing so wouldn't lead me to think there was 'begrudgery' at all. There has been a history of Irish players wasting their talents, not a uniquely Irish phenomenon of course, but a frustrating one nonetheless, I am fairly sure that that is where Citizen's annoyance stems from.
cildaratown View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

killdare town

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cildaratown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2018 at 7:04pm
Started the past two games for Willem II
Pauldaly1984 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pauldaly1984 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2018 at 7:28pm
Originally posted by cildaratown cildaratown wrote:

Started the past two games for Willem II

Has Crowley not declared for engurland?
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2018 at 7:38pm
Well he certainly hasn't played for them (nor will he any time soon), so he's still eligible. He's worth talking to due to the simple fact that we have so few footballers like him, particularly considering that Judge doesn't look like he'll ever get back to his previous heights.
We're decent enough..
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

killdare town

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cildaratown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2018 at 7:48pm
And he's just scored
NewtNewbie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewtNewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2018 at 7:53pm
Good to see him doing well. We could do with more technically adept midfielders like Crowley to call on.
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

killdare town

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cildaratown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2018 at 9:36pm
Anyone know his status on the Republic vs England? Don't see him getting into the English team anytime soon..
DeclanDaly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2018 at 10:38pm
he’s been a naughty boy recently, it seems. Via google translate, it looks like he doesn’t like being fouled

Trainer Adrie Koster is not pleased with the behavior of Willem II midfielder Dan Crowley. The twenty-year-old Briton occasionally shows himself in preparation for his worst side, with hard offenses. It gives him an angry trainer. "With such actions, Crowley is killing the team."

Crowley was taken over from Arsenal last year and rented in January for several months to first divisionist SC Cambuur. Now he is back in Tilburg, but he does not just let his feet speak. Earlier this month, he derailed in a practice spot against Al-Khor and that did not stop there, as he kicked against KV Mechelen on Saturday. It also gave him a reprimand of the coach, outside of a yellow card.
Koster lets Brabants Dagblad know not to appreciate such misbehavior. "With this kind of action, Crowley treats the team, normally it is good for a red card and a match or three suspension." He advises his midfielder to learn from the moment. "He will have to deal with it differently if violations are made on him."
According to the experienced coach, Crowley does make progress on other points. "He shows that with his ball skills he can be very important to Willem II, and the defense back is also getting better." Willem II will play the last exhibition game on Saturday. Aris Saloniki is the opponents on the open day of Tilburg. Afterwards, the seasonal vieuw awaits VVV-Venlo.

You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

killdare town

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cildaratown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2018 at 10:54pm
thanks. Always read that attitude issues were why he didn’t make it at Arsenal. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1516171819 62>
  Share Topic