You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : League Of Ireland : Premier and First Division
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Damien Duff League of Ireland bound

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 111213
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bohsfan84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2015 at 10:34pm
Is Blanchard still at Rovers?
Sponsored Links

Madferret View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Madferret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2015 at 11:09pm
Yes. Unless he has left quietly in the past 48 hours.
starryplough View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote starryplough Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2015 at 10:36pm

Damien Duff in line to make Shamrock Rovers debut on Monday

Former Republic of Ireland winger was on bench for win over Longford Town

Damien Duff could make his Shamrock Rovers debut in Monday’s Airtricity League game against Cork City in Tallaght. Photograph:   James Crombie/Inpho

Damien Duff could make his Shamrock Rovers debut in Monday’s Airtricity League game against Cork City in Tallaght. Photograph: James Crombie/Inpho

Damien Duff says he is excited about the prospect of getting back playing ahead of Cork City’s visit to Shamrock Rovers on Monday night when the 36 year-old will be in contention to make his debut for the Dublin club.

Duff made the bench for the game in Longford on Friday night but admits that he never expected to play, having only really returned to full training this week. He may have to settle for another night on the sidelines against City but clearly he is happy to be edging towards competitive action again.

“The plan (in Longford) wasn’t to go on,” he said in Tallaght today, “just for the gaffer (Pat Fenlon) to get me down there and to be involved. I feel good out there training after being out for so long but I’ve really only trained three times in the last seven months, so I’ve no right to be expecting to last 90 minutes or even 10. But I’m back training and that’s good.”

Duff described his decision to join Rovers as a “no brainer” and said he has been happy with the standard of the set-up at the club. “It’s the biggest club in Ireland and the best manager in Ireland; it’s brilliant, very professional. I felt like a bit of a spare for a bit there but that changes once you get out training and get involved in everything.

“I don’t know what effect I’ll have on the league,” he continued. "I just want to come back home and play at the highest level there is and that’s the Airtricity League. I always thought that it would be nice to finish my career here and that’s what I’m doing; I’m looking forward to it.”

The former Chelsea, Newcastle and Blackburn star, who acknowledged that he had met with St Patrick’s boss Liam Buckley and whose side he complimented as a “lovely footballing side,” said the priority now is to get back playing.

“It’s not going to be easy, I know I’m going to have to be at the top of my game to impress here but every footballer wants to play and if you know anything about me, I’m not a good watcher, I want to be out there on the pitch.”

Fenlon didn’t comment on Duff’s prospects of getting a run out in Monday’s game but he says that the player has already exerted a positive influence around the club off the pitch and it seems his first opportunity to show what he can still do on it, is now just around the corner.

Some Clubs Are Bigger Than Others
PanteirA View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PanteirA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2015 at 11:47pm
With so little training done its doubtful he would get a run out unless Rovers are winning comfortably , which I doubt will be the case. Would be great to see him make his debut in the league all the same. It will be interesting to see what kind of an impact he can make for the rest of the league.
Bitored View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitored Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2015 at 2:05am
I think its more so RTE hyping up the game as a possible debut for him. From his own interview today he`s not very hopeful of getting time on the pitch. But he went along with it saying he might get a few minutes while also acknowledging he`s only trained for 3 days.
I won the Player of the Century award thanks to the people.Pele was second.He also came second behind Aryton Senna as Brazil's greatest sportsman.The award FIFA gave Pele isn't worth sh*t - Maradona
zizu Kilbane View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zizu Kilbane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2015 at 4:57pm
Retires from football today...One of the greatest ever to pull on the Green
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"
Landon Donovan View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Sheldon Cooper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Landon Donovan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2015 at 5:34pm
I have no doubt that Pay Fenlons treatment of him contributed  to his retiring a year early.

It is going to be tough to attract top players to the league when you have managers trying to be Billy Big Bollox around the marquee player.
EastStandMan View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

I am Shamrock Rovers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EastStandMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2015 at 6:43pm
Never heard anything re Nutsy"s treatment good or bad of Damien . Thing is tho he just was not up to it any more - I hated to see him come on and look ten miles an hour slower than any one else on the pitch and it has to be said thats the wrong way to end a great club and international career . Thanks for giving it a go at Rovers Damien and all the best for the future Thumbs Up,,K O H . 
Shamrock Rovers - lovin the buzz .
roverstillidie View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Bohs number 1 fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roverstillidie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2015 at 8:57pm
Originally posted by Landon Donovan Landon Donovan wrote:

I have no doubt that Pay Fenlons treatment of him contributed  to his retiring a year early.

It is going to be tough to attract top players to the league when you have managers trying to be Billy Big Bollox around the marquee player.
Which is why he is staying as a coach....? He wasn't physically up for it. It was worth a punt, he was immense with the younger players and will stay involved in the youth sides. It was only ever partially about playing.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Bohs number 1 fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roverstillidie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2015 at 9:04am
Confirmed he is staying as a coach.
Tony Cousins View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Cousins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2015 at 10:24am
Originally posted by Landon Donovan Landon Donovan wrote:

Jaysus if you think Nutsy treated him bad then it's no surprise that you can't figure out a bus timetable.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Bohs number 1 fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roverstillidie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2015 at 10:27am
Landon is looking at this through is franchise football tinted glasses. You have a premier name you play him. If he didn't play its because the manager is a bully. The fact he wasn't fit enough is entirely irrelevant.

Edited by roverstillidie - 22 Dec 2015 at 10:27am
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2021 at 12:03pm
Confirmed as the new Shelbourne manager. 

Wonder if he'll manage to stay for a full season even this time.
ShamtheRam View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShamtheRam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2021 at 1:15pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

Confirmed as the new Shelbourne manager. 

Wonder if he'll manage to stay for a full season even this time.
He'll walk out somewhere around the summer break
YBIG NPF founder and CEO
TheNumber6 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheNumber6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2021 at 2:34pm
why did he leave Ireland set up? Alan Kelly? 
longford claret View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote longford claret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2021 at 11:41am
Has the personality of a brick so cannot really see him motivating too many players. 
eireland View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eireland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2021 at 2:27pm
Originally posted by longford claret longford claret wrote:

Has the personality of a brick so cannot really see him motivating too many players. 

Also sounds like he's on the verge of a nervous breakdown every time he talks. Maybe he's deferent on the training pitch when the spotlight is off. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 111213
  Share Topic