You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : League Of Ireland : Premier and First Division
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Dalymount Park to benefit from Euro 2020

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Madferret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2014 at 8:28pm
Turners X looks really well on TV with a full house. By LOI standards it's one of the better grounds, top 3 if you don't include Thomond. So fair play for the huge improvements since the not so long ago shed and mucky hill behind the opposite goal. 
Real life tho is a little different. The TV stand side roof barely covers a few rows from rain, alot of the seats on that side and the "Away" end are in poor condition and generally the place could just do with a bit of basic TLC painting, signage, etc.
The opposite "stand" has about 5 rows and is essentially a pitch-length substitutes bench. The away section is far too open to the elements. Bar the new "home" stand, the toilets throughout are poor, it's not the easiest place to get to, there is no stadium parking and the place is cramped into a housing estate preventing any long term expansion.

Tallaght could seem quite soulless I guess to some away fans if the crowd is low and wind and rain is blowing down from the hills. 
But for comfort, parking, ease of access by public transport, PA, Media facilities, toilets, Megastore, cafe and general office admin/changing rooms etc there is nothing else in the LOI to compare. 
If there is a criticism of Tallaght, it's the lack of a decent adjacent boozer, the daft lego brick coloured seats and the aforementioned wind.
I don't like any grounds where the stands and therefore the supporters are removed too far from the pitch, but obviously there were other concerns to be accomodated at the design stage regarding Tallaght. In the very Long term, given the huge distance between pitch line and stands, the ideal would be to drop the pitch level and increase capacity by building down rather than up. But that won't be in most of our lifetime and accomodating other sports larger pitch sizes might be an issue.
The original plan was for a 10,000 seat stadium btw, not 12,000 as mentioned earlier. I still have the hard-copies and that was part of the Planning Conditions aswell as the specifics on mid-week game days to avoid cheesing off the local school.

That article in the Echo by the way is just speculation, it mentions "potential" projects SDCC are considering. And they'd barely get a garden shed and decking in Woodies for €500k never mind a 2,500 seat stand. The North (Square) end is the right end for it tho, notwithstanding the tornado issue from the car-park. 
Ideally in the long-term this proposed new stand would accomodate away supporters and a larger home stand, after revised planning, would be built the car-park end. The backdrop of the Dublin Mountains on a big League/ Euro night would be quite the sight Smile
Sponsored Links

EastStandMan View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

I am Shamrock Rovers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote EastStandMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2014 at 8:42pm
Originally posted by moose moose wrote:

Originally posted by EastStandMan EastStandMan wrote:

Aslan never played there but Im sure the Council will welcome any revenue it can attract from concerts etc . Tallaght Stadium is becoming the best ground in LOI and will improve to be able to hold smaller Internationals such as u21"s and so on . Fabulous venue and by a mile the best in LOI . 

Turners Cross is the best LOI ground by a mile, has 4 seated sides with a good atmosphere. Tallaght is a nice souless windy pigsty.

I see .........so ya wont be getting a season ticket for next year I take it. LOL

Shamrock Rovers - lovin the buzz .
dudnalkfc10 View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

I love Drogheda hi

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dudnalkfc10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2014 at 8:47pm
Originally posted by Madferret Madferret wrote:

Turners X looks really well on TV with a full house. By LOI standards it's one of the better grounds, top 3 if you don't include Thomond. So fair play for the huge improvements since the not so long ago shed and mucky hill behind the opposite goal. 
Real life tho is a little different. The TV stand side roof barely covers a few rows from rain, alot of the seats on that side and the "Away" end are in poor condition and generally the place could just do with a bit of basic TLC painting, signage, etc.
The opposite "stand" has about 5 rows and is essentially a pitch-length substitutes bench. The away section is far too open to the elements. Bar the new "home" stand, the toilets throughout are poor, it's not the easiest place to get to, there is no stadium parking and the place is cramped into a housing estate preventing any long term expansion.

Tallaght could seem quite soulless I guess to some away fans if the crowd is low and wind and rain is blowing down from the hills. 
But for comfort, parking, ease of access by public transport, PA, Media facilities, toilets, Megastore, cafe and general office admin/changing rooms etc there is nothing else in the LOI to compare. 
If there is a criticism of Tallaght, it's the lack of a decent adjacent boozer, the daft lego brick coloured seats and the aforementioned wind.
I don't like any grounds where the stands and therefore the supporters are removed too far from the pitch, but obviously there were other concerns to be accomodated at the design stage regarding Tallaght. In the very Long term, given the huge distance between pitch line and stands, the ideal would be to drop the pitch level and increase capacity by building down rather than up. But that won't be in most of our lifetime and accomodating other sports larger pitch sizes might be an issue.
The original plan was for a 10,000 seat stadium btw, not 12,000 as mentioned earlier. I still have the hard-copies and that was part of the Planning Conditions aswell as the specifics on mid-week game days to avoid cheesing off the local school.

That article in the Echo by the way is just speculation, it mentions "potential" projects SDCC are considering. And they'd barely get a garden shed and decking in Woodies for €500k never mind a 2,500 seat stand. The North (Square) end is the right end for it tho, notwithstanding the tornado issue from the car-park. 
Ideally in the long-term this proposed new stand would accomodate away supporters and a larger home stand, after revised planning, would be built the car-park end. The backdrop of the Dublin Mountains on a big League/ Euro night would be quite the sight Smile

The only problem I and I know many Dundalk fans and fans of other clubs have with Tallaght, is its impossible to create an atmosphere....You can barely hear the Rovers Singing section from the away end and vise versa!

Edited by dudnalkfc10 - 19 Oct 2014 at 8:47pm
Madferret View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Madferret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2014 at 9:27pm
Dudnalk, thats because as I mentioned (A) the stands are too far removed from the pitch and (B) the cyclonic tornadoes down from the mountains carry much of the potential sound from South to North, across the by-pass (WITHOUT USING THE FOOTBRIDGE), into the Square and down along the counter of Kentucky Fried Chicken. I know, I've been there and lost several "Big-Bucket" coupons fresh outta me hand.

If you look at any stadium the World over, bar perhaps Sporting Braga (below) where they conveniently have a mountain of rock at one end,  it is incredibly difficult to "trap" sound when two ends are open. Hopefully in the longer-term this will be resolved. For now and despite it's limitations, Tallaght is far and away the LOI ground par excellance. Which is why it is the automatic default Euro ground for other LOI clubs to fulfil UEFA criteria. Reference Pats, Drogheda and Dundalk too had they gone another round this year in Europe.

On the Dalymount development thing, despite the Bohs connection, I'd love to see the place re-developed. It's the very least the FAI could do as some payback for the League's contribution to Irish Football and it shouldn't have taken visitors coming here from abroad for them to be embarassed into finally resolving it.

Despite the place even then being a total kip, I've alot of happy memories as a young teenager picking up a copy of the hillarious Glenmalure Gazette and watching the Rovers of a Sunday. Absolute bliss. 
If planned well, you could have a fantastic Museum of Irish Football located a stone's throw from O'Connell street at a ground where all the greats of the game once played. I am in particular thinking of Pedro Eccles and Vinny Arkins Clap

Edited by Madferret - 19 Oct 2014 at 9:31pm
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

I am Shamrock Rovers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EastStandMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2014 at 6:49am
If you cant hear opposing fans singing in Tallaght wash your bleedin ears out . 
Nah Nah Nah Nah View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Yea Yea Yea Yea

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nah Nah Nah Nah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2014 at 9:02am
For now and despite it's limitations, Tallaght is far and away the LOI ground par excellance. Which is why it is the automatic default Euro ground for other LOI clubs to fulfil UEFA criteria. Reference Pats, Drogheda and Dundalk too had they gone another round this year in Europe.

For all clubs based around Dublin. Still think Turners Cross is a better ground.
zizu Kilbane View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zizu Kilbane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2014 at 11:01am
Originally posted by LesVerts LesVerts wrote:

Didnt want to start a new thread, looks like tallaght will be getting a new stand.

Would you make a new 2,500 seater stand for only €500,000? Sounds suspect to me.

"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"
LesVerts View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LesVerts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2014 at 11:20am
Does anyone know how much the east stand cost to build?
starryplough View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote starryplough Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2014 at 3:09pm
Originally posted by The U The U wrote:

Originally posted by starryplough starryplough wrote:

Originally posted by GreenArmy! GreenArmy! wrote:

Not trying to start a 10 page thread on attendances but is another stand really necessary, bar the likes of Pats CL match against Legia or the odd league cup final, what is the use in this?

This is the new home of Irish football, the plan was always to keep improving and increase the capacity. Extra stand are always needed and useful for segregation purposes

RTID = Starryplough

There is no way in hell 2 men could both be so delusional LOL

The U and UCDFAN must be the same posters, theres no way UCD have two fans
Some Clubs Are Bigger Than Others
starryplough View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote starryplough Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2014 at 3:11pm
Would rather the carpark end was completed first for the reasons mentioned above, still though positive news if it goes ahead
Some Clubs Are Bigger Than Others
The U View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The U Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2014 at 4:37pm
That one almost hurt my feelings starryplough Embarrassed
Madferret View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Madferret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2014 at 5:33pm
Originally posted by Nah Nah Nah Nah Nah Nah Nah Nah wrote:

For now and despite it's limitations, Tallaght is far and away the LOI ground par excellance. Which is why it is the automatic default Euro ground for other LOI clubs to fulfil UEFA criteria. Reference Pats, Drogheda and Dundalk too had they gone another round this year in Europe.

For all clubs based around Dublin. Still think Turners Cross is a better ground.

@ Nah Nah Nah Nah or just Nah Nah for short from now on if you don't mind Wink, have a read of my earlier post or just this sentence from it;

"Tallaght could seem quite soulless I guess to some away fans if the crowd is low and wind and rain is blowing down from the hills. 
But for comfort, parking, ease of access by public transport, PA, Media facilities, toilets, Megastore, cafe and general office admin/changing rooms etc there is nothing else in the LOI to compare".

If you look at each of those items I've mentioned in turn and I'm sure there are more, there is NO LOI ground in the country comes anywhere close to the standard. 

So it's not just "for clubs based around Dublin", it's for ALL clubs that Tallaght is (unfortunately) the default LOI ground for advanced stages in Europe. No other LOI ground, Turners X, The Showgrounds etc despite their great improvements would be deemed acceptable to UEFA under their criteria to hold Group games in CL or EL. Both of those aswell as all the rest would fall down on the lack of adequate car-parking alone, before you even get into a myriad of other issues. 

Don't think that I'm knocking Turners X or any other progressive club for the improvements they've made, because it's great to see € put into long-term infrastructure. I'm just setting out the reality and I know because of the "Rovers got a free Stadium" attitude amongst some LOI fans aswell as the sometimes irrational antipathy towards anything Shamrock Rovers that there is little point discussing this in depth. I'm just setting out the reality. Don't shoot the messenger etc.  

I'm as guilty as the next man for going off topic here. We probably should a dedicated Stadium Improvements type thread on here. I'm only loath to set one up cause I know it'll just end up in pointless arguements about Roddy Collins new coat & crowd-counting, etc.  
dudnalkfc10 View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

I love Drogheda hi

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dudnalkfc10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2014 at 5:40pm
Originally posted by Madferret Madferret wrote:

Originally posted by Nah Nah Nah Nah Nah Nah Nah Nah wrote:

@ Nah Nah Nah Nah or just Nah Nah for short from now on if you don't mind Wink, have a read of my earlier post or just this sentence from it;

"Tallaght could seem quite soulless I guess to some away fans if the crowd is low and wind and rain is blowing down from the hills. 
But for comfort, parking, ease of access by public transport, PA, Media facilities, toilets, Megastore, cafe and general office admin/changing rooms etc there is nothing else in the LOI to compare".

If you look at each of those items I've mentioned in turn and I'm sure there are more, there is NO LOI ground in the country comes anywhere close to the standard. 

So it's not just "for clubs based around Dublin", it's for ALL clubs that Tallaght is (unfortunately) the default LOI ground for advanced stages in Europe. No other LOI ground, Turners X, The Showgrounds etc despite their great improvements would be deemed acceptable to UEFA under their criteria to hold Group games in CL or EL. Both of those aswell as all the rest would fall down on the lack of adequate car-parking alone, before you even get into a myriad of other issues. 

Don't think that I'm knocking Turners X or any other progressive club for the improvements they've made, because it's great to see € put into long-term infrastructure. I'm just setting out the reality and I know because of the "Rovers got a free Stadium" attitude amongst some LOI fans aswell as the sometimes irrational antipathy towards anything Shamrock Rovers that there is little point discussing this in depth. I'm just setting out the reality. Don't shoot the messenger etc.  

I'm as guilty as the next man for going off topic here. We probably should a dedicated Stadium Improvements type thread on here. I'm only loath to set one up cause I know it'll just end up in pointless arguements about Roddy Collins new coat & crowd-counting, etc.  

No doubting Rovers stadium has the best facilities...As Ive said, Myself and most Dundalk away fans I know would rather a ground that has an atmosphere (before anyone starts I know Oriels away end is a kip/no atmosphere) rather than easy access to the ground, media facilities etc....

Best grounds for atmosphere for away fans are Drogheda, Sligo and Derry if you have numbers
Madferret View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Madferret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2014 at 5:50pm
I know that Dudnalk. But we are (myself included all going off topic) and talking about best facilities/infrastructure here. 

The best ground for atmosphere debate is in the best atmosphere thread. Just search under "Happiness".
roverstillidie View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Bohs number 1 fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roverstillidie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2014 at 6:20pm
The atmosphere in Tallaght is fine. If there is no atmosphere in the away end make one.
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

I am Shamrock Rovers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote EastStandMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2014 at 6:24pm
Why not start a thread about going off topic - love to see where that would take us . 
Madferret View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Madferret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2014 at 9:23pm
Originally posted by EastStandMan EastStandMan wrote:

Why not start a thread about going off topic - love to see where that would take us . 

LOL Gas man EastStand. One day it will be done Wink
LesVerts View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LesVerts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2014 at 12:55pm
Saw a few people say that the article in the echo said the stand would cost 1.5 million with the sdcc paying 500k, dosn't say where the other million is coming from.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
  Share Topic