You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Away days + World Cup 2022 Accommodation and Travel
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

custom flags

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4950515253 55>
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blue Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2016 at 2:19am
Originally posted by eireland eireland wrote:

Originally posted by Toohey94 Toohey94 wrote:

You seem an awfully grumpy old man I'll be on crutches for the duration but I'll make it my business to get my flag up everywhere so you can see it and I will enjoy every second of it especially when in the three stadiums with nothing on my mind but 3 points especially not flags!!

You're dealing with a self proclaimed pre Madonna here. You can't win!!

Anyway just know that the flag bashers are a vocal minority. Nobody will say anything to you out there especially since the vast majority don't give a sh*t and they'll stand out like sore Thumbs. And I've noticed a lot of the moaners aren't even going.

Personally I think the ones with words like "****" or pictures of a bare arse are a step too far. But all the flags like yours with a catchy slogan accompanying a picture are fine.

Pre Madonna was going on about the younger generation like yourself having forced fun. a lot of them are old and grumpy so don't expect them to understand. We're just care free and are going to enjoy ourselves while supporting our country.

Roy Keane probably hates these flags but I bet you most of the players will think they're a bit of fun as your example shows.

You really haven't noticed that amigo. Vast numbers who have been travelling home and away for decades hate this crap. New away travellers also dislike them and they'll all be in France. I could name 30 off this forum alone who I know personally and they will be in France who also hate them. One is a journo for The Indo and even he's brought it to national attention
"Everytime Leeds concede a goal, its like being stabbed in the heart" - Billy Bremner

Gary Speed 1969-2011

YBIG Blind Date Champion 2010
Sponsored Links

Toohey94 View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toohey94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2016 at 2:24am
Originally posted by Blue Man Blue Man wrote:

You seem an awfully grumpy old man I'll be on crutches for the duration but I'll make it my business to get my flag up everywhere so you can see it and I will enjoy every second of it especially when in the three stadiums with nothing on my mind but 3 points especially not flags!!

Anyway just know that the flag bashers are a vocal minority. Nobody will say anything to you out there especially since the vast majority don't give a sh*t and they'll stand out like sore Thumbs. And I've noticed a lot of the moaners aren't even going.

Personally I think the ones with words like "****" or pictures of a bare arse are a step too far. But all the flags like yours with a catchy slogan accompanying a picture are fine.

Pre Madonna was going on about the younger generation like yourself having forced fun. a lot of them are old and grumpy so don't expect them to understand. We're just care free and are going to enjoy ourselves while supporting our country.

Roy Keane probably hates these flags but I bet you most of the players will think they're a bit of fun as your example shows.

You really haven't noticed that amigo. Vast numbers who have been travelling home and away for decades hate this crap. New away travellers also dislike them and they'll all be in France. I could name 30 off this forum alone who I know personally and they will be in France who also hate them. One is a journo for The Indo and even he's brought it to national attention

And what's the end game? Get me to take my flag down or dispose of it? Are these flags going to take away from your enjoyment or make you annoyed on the trip if you see them just curious?
Blue Man View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blue Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2016 at 2:31am

And what's the end game? Get me to take my flag down or dispose of it? Are these flags going to take away from your enjoyment or make you annoyed on the trip if you see them just curious?

My response was directed at the piece highlighted in bold. These flags are not a common theme with regular away travellers. A lot of the regulars know each other and for some reason, France '16 seems to a a "Who Can Make The Worst Flag" Championships. Your one certainly isnt the worst but Pre Madonna is right in what he's saying and he absolutely hates my guts
"Everytime Leeds concede a goal, its like being stabbed in the heart" - Billy Bremner

Gary Speed 1969-2011

Toohey94 View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toohey94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2016 at 2:36am
I do agree that it's gone to far but obviously that's rich for me to say considering I own one
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2016 at 2:36am
Whoa there Blue man, I may be miserable, misanthropic old f**ker who is in favour of gulags for eejits, but since when do I hate your guts?
HeyYou View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HeyYou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2016 at 2:37am
I just don't understand the father ted flags. Whether or not there's a tricolour there, why would you pay to get a Fr. Ted quote printed on a flag. At least ones like the Jon Walters one above show a bit of creativity and imagination (personally think there's no need for the tricolour, should have stuck to the plain background like the ad campaign but that's besides the point). I love father ted as much as the next man but the thought process of thinking you're hilarious by taking a Ted quote, that everybody has heard a million times, and paying to stick it on a flag, essentially mooching off somebody else's joke, baffles me.

Likewise I don't understand why everybody get's tricolours. Why not just a solid green background? Or a background of shamrocks? or a landmark?
Blue Man View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blue Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2016 at 2:39am
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Whoa there Blue man, I may be miserable, misanthropic old f**ker who is in favour of gulags for eejits, but since when do I hate your guts?

We've had our beef in the past, although we can reconcile over crap flags!

Gary Speed 1969-2011

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2016 at 2:45am

We've had our beef in the past, although we can reconcile over crap flags!

I have had a beef with just about everyone on here! The only one I can truly say I hate is the king of the barstoolers himself, Sir Awex. Back to debating flegs.....
eireland View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eireland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2016 at 2:49am

Like many Irish people Father Ted is one of my favourite comedies, it combines cultural satire with wonderfully scripted stupidity, Graham Linehan is a comedy genius and someone of whom we can be proud. I just don't think the best way to express this pride is by sticking quotes from Ted on a tricolour. I doubt you will see many English fans with Blackadder or Peep Show quotes; The Scots didn't arrive in Dublin with Jimmy Krankie banners , nor will the North have many of Uncle Andy, although there will be plenty Incle Andy types waving them!Thousands of years of culture, music, poetry, literature of heroes and warriors and the best we can do is the flag equivalent of sticking a pair of underpants on our heads while belching the national anthem.

Look up bad euro flags on twitter. There's a page filled with sh*t NI flags. At least we've got something in common with them

Personally I'm a bit sick of father Ted from watching it so much and as a result prefer the non father Ted related flags more.

You're right though. Not the best way to show our love for the country but it's harmless fun.
eireland View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eireland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2016 at 2:54am
Originally posted by HeyYou HeyYou wrote:

I just don't understand the father ted flags. Whether or not there's a tricolour there, why would you pay to get a Fr. Ted quote printed on a flag. At least ones like the Jon Walters one above show a bit of creativity and imagination (personally think there's no need for the tricolour, should have stuck to the plain background like the ad campaign but that's besides the point). I love father ted as much as the next man but the thought process of thinking you're hilarious by taking a Ted quote, that everybody has heard a million times, and paying to stick it on a flag, essentially mooching off somebody else's joke, baffles me.

Likewise I don't understand why everybody get's tricolours. Why not just a solid green background? Or a background of shamrocks? or a landmark?

You know what I think you have the solution to all this. If I was to make a flag I'd probably choose the tricolour because I want to contribute to painting the stadium our colours.

But now that you mention it, getting your pic and quote on a green banner or green and white banner is probably the way to go. Appeals to those who find it funny but doesn't annoy the flag nazis.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2016 at 3:05am
Any links? All I could find was one with Jim McDonald on it from the North. At least a fictional, wife beating squaddie is quite accurate for them.
Toohey94 View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toohey94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2016 at 3:05am

You know what I think you have the solution to all this. If I was to make a flag I'd probably choose the tricolour because I want to contribute to painting the stadium our colours.

But now that you mention it, getting your pic and quote on a green banner or green and white banner is probably the way to go. Appeals to those who find it funny but doesn't annoy the flag nazis.

+1 hindsight and all that!
HeyYou View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HeyYou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2016 at 3:09am

If I was to make a flag I'd probably choose the tricolour because I want to contribute to painting the stadium our colours.

There's lots of ways to still use all three colours and make the background more interesting. I'm not bothered by people printing on it because it's a tricolour, I'd just like to see a bit of imagination / creativity. The best flag in this entire thread so far, by a large margin, is the "Viva la republique" one and that's just green
eireland View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eireland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2016 at 4:21am

Any links? All I could find was one with Jim McDonald on it from the North. At least a fictional, wife beating squaddie is quite accurate for them.

https://mobile.twitter.com/badeurosflags

Mixture of Republic and Northern Irish flags
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2016 at 4:51am
Some of their flegs are the result of some deeply disturbing thoughts, psychoanalysts would have a field day, I think the picture of someone's dog on a fleg is straight out of the Willie Frazer school of thought. Still though, in a most embarrassing fleg competition, we are beating the world's number 1.
Hickster74 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hickster74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2016 at 7:17am

If I was to make a flag I'd probably choose the tricolour because I want to contribute to painting the stadium our colours.

There's lots of ways to still use all three colours and make the background more interesting. I'm not bothered by people printing on it because it's a tricolour, I'd just like to see a bit of imagination / creativity. The best flag in this entire thread so far, by a large margin, is the "Viva la republique" one and that's just green

I hate any writing on a tricolour let alone some of the monstrosities I've seen here. I honestly think that it's a lack of education. Most young lads probably wouldn't do this if they knew it is disrespectful to the national flag (that and letting it touch the ground btw). In this social media fame obsessed age, young lads are trying to outdo each other in national flag destruction seeing who'll get most likes etc.. Their idols are probably the lads with the Angela Merkel flag last time around.

The government or the appropriate body (even Michael D himself..) should be coming out with what the guidelines are and ensuring it is widely communicated that the national flag should not be used as a message board. I'm not sure it's illegal as mentioned in the great article posted above but it is certainly against official guidelines. As usual with the government though, the horse has already bolted, for this tournament at least.

As mentioned, a plain green background should be used instead for any 'banter' and innuendo lads want but please don't desecrate our national flag.

Edited by Hickster74 - 09 Jun 2016 at 7:19am
"Perhaps the reason that they did not consider the worst, was because discussion of such cases would have cast suspicion on the planner as being a "saboteur". Paranoia was rampant throughout."
Terry Mancicni View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Terry Mancicni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2016 at 8:10am
GERK, super article today. Shameful photos, actually couldnt believe some of the flags that you had been sent. Attention seeking viral whores is the only word. Its very clear what type of fan these ppl are though. Can never remember being in Zenica, Tiblisi etc.. and seeing anything like these. Band wagoners, event junkies
RoyD View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoyD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2016 at 9:40am
Originally posted by Terry Mancicni Terry Mancicni wrote:

GERK, super article today. Shameful photos, actually couldnt believe some of the flags that you had been sent. Attention seeking viral whores is the only word. Its very clear what type of fan these ppl are though. Can never remember being in Zenica, Tiblisi etc.. and seeing anything like these. Band wagoners, event junkies
+ 1 Hopefully this fad has peaked and we wont have to witness much more of this rubbish at any future tournaments. Well done for that article GerK Clap
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4950515253 55>
  Share Topic