You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Current NI Squad - 7th March 2023

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OnTheOneRoad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2023 at 5:17pm
it's a long way from the squad Michael O'Neill had the last time around. They'd a lot of very strong players in 2016 that would have walked into our first XI never mind squad. the likes of Brunt, Steven Davis, Hughes, McAuley, and then Evans and Cathcart in the prime of their careers. That's a very strong core that could be relied upon to keep it organised and make them hard to beat. 

I think there's a bit of an assumption that MO'N will make them hard to beat this time around automatically by virtue of being hired again - that's an awful lot easier when you've proven players like the above. They've a dream draw especially given their seeding but i wouldn't expect them to be anywhere near the business end. It's an absolutely awful squad. 
No thank you Turkish......I'm sweet enough
Sponsored Links

doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2023 at 5:40pm
Always thought McNair was a very decent player. Good all rounder. Id play him in midfield. Hes very decent.
I love beer gardens
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2023 at 7:53pm
Originally posted by doherty doherty wrote:

Always thought McNair was a very decent player. Good all rounder. Id play him in midfield. Hes very decent.

Agree 

He’s as good if not better than some midfielders who start for us regularly 
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2023 at 7:55pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

He'll make them hard to score against and dangerous from set pieces. That alone can make you competitive in international football (something we seem to have forgotten). You wouldn't know in that group, they could give it a run alright. Would likely be the worst team at the finals if they qualified though, looking at their squad.

Spot on. 
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2023 at 8:09pm
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Agree 

He doesn't even play in midfield for Boro, does he? I'd say at best he'd be competing with Browne/Smallbone for the last centre mid berth in the squad, and he certainly wouldn't be getting in as a centre back.
We're decent enough..
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2023 at 8:09pm

Agree 

That's a fair comment i think. He's only 27 too insee. Thought he was older.
I love beer gardens
PaddyMaddenIsCounty! View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaddyMaddenIsCounty! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2023 at 8:17pm

Agree 

That's a fair comment i think. He's only 27 too insee. Thought he was older.
Been playing centre-back last few seasons but dropped down pecking order since Lenihan signed and they switched formation. Useful utility player but would struggle get a game with us
Sheedy11 View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sheedy11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2023 at 9:07pm
McNair's a very useful player. Technically sound, versatile and a good set piece-taker. I always thought he would have made a good signing at a smaller/newly-promoted  PL team like a Burnley, or similar, and has obviously played at that level before. He'd easily improve our midfield options. And of course he'd get into our squad.

As far as the debate over comparative squad strengths is concerned, as well as Johnny Evans, Steve Davis and Stuart Dallas, NI are also missing Corey Evans, Ally McCann, Liam Boyce and Shane Lavery, who are all important players for them, and would make their squad look significantly stronger.

I suspect NI fans might look at our squad, too, and find themselves a little less than impressed.

Jason Knight, for example, has spent much of this season as an auxiliary right back/ utility player at his League One club, yet is probably a nailed-on starter for us in a crucial midfield role for the France game. You can look at some of the names in the North's squad and question its quality but the likes of McClean, Hendrick, McGrath and Keane etc aren't exactly stellar names themselves.

I agree with the previous poster. In reality, whilst our squad may look a little stronger on paper, O'Neill's return immediately makes them a far more formidable proposition, because having a competent, capable coach in charge, as NI now have, makes a huge difference at this level. And it wouldn't surprise me at all if they outperformed Kenny's Ireland over the coming qualification campaign. In fact I fully expect them to do so.
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2023 at 9:15pm
N.Ireland would get torn apart right now in our group i believe. They have a horrid favourable group. They may be in the shake up for 2nd in that if they perform well. I think everyone of our squad O'Neill would gladly take with open arms. 
I love beer gardens
Badgersboys9 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Badgersboys9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2023 at 9:16pm
Hows McNair getting into the squad when Lenihan can't?
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2023 at 9:19pm
Originally posted by Sheedy11 Sheedy11 wrote:

McNair's a very useful player. Technically sound, versatile and a good set piece-taker. I always thought he would have made a good signing at a smaller/newly-promoted  PL team like a Burnley, or similar, and has obviously played at that level before. He'd easily improve our midfield options. And of course he'd get into our squad.

As far as the debate over comparative squad strengths is concerned, as well as Johnny Evans, Steve Davis and Stuart Dallas, NI are also missing Corey Evans, Ally McCann, Liam Boyce and Shane Lavery, who are all important players for them, and would make their squad look significantly stronger.

I suspect NI fans might look at our squad, too, and find themselves a little less than impressed.

Jason Knight, for example, has spent much of this season as an auxiliary right back/ utility player at his League One club, yet is probably a nailed-on starter for us in a crucial midfield role for the France game. You can look at some of the names in the North's squad and question its quality but the likes of McClean, Hendrick, McGrath and Keane etc aren't exactly stellar names themselves.

I agree with the previous poster. In reality, whilst our squad may look a little stronger on paper, O'Neill's return immediately makes them a far more formidable proposition, because having a competent, capable coach in charge, as NI now have, makes a huge difference at this level. And it wouldn't surprise me at all if they outperformed Kenny's Ireland over the coming qualification campaign. In fact I fully expect them to do so.

Our squad is lightyears, literally lightyears, ahead of NI. NI basically have a L1 squad with some Championship players thrown in. We now have a squad composed of EPL and Championship players, with loads of other Championship players available to us not even making the squad.

Knight would automatically be NI's best midfielder (maybe even best player, given Evans advanced age, Dallas injury, and Lewis lack of gametime) if he played for them. The squads are incomparable, as suggested by our seeding.
We're decent enough..
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2023 at 9:20pm
Originally posted by Badgersboys9 Badgersboys9 wrote:

How many centre backs do we need though? We have 4 already and Coleman can fill in if needed. Is there any point in centre backs sitting on the bench.
I love beer gardens
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Badgersboys9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2023 at 9:41pm

How many centre backs do we need though? We have 4 already and Coleman can fill in if needed. Is there any point in centre backs sitting on the bench.

My point being that Lenihan is a better CB than McNair and can't make our squad.

I do think we are light on CB's though. 1 or 2 niggles and you are playing Coleman or whoever out of position. 
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2023 at 9:48pm
Hypothetically McNair would be a midfielder in our squad. My squad anyway.
I love beer gardens
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2023 at 9:52pm
Don’t think it matters how weak looking NI’s group is on paper
That squad are getting nowhere near the Euros surely 

Healy52003 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Healy52003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2023 at 9:53pm
These lads did help out in costing Italy a place in the World Cup 
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Badgersboys9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2023 at 9:54pm

If that's the case and we're playing him out of position(when's the last time he's played consistently in that role?) then he wouldn't be taking a spot of any of our current mids.
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2023 at 10:00pm

If that's the case and we're playing him out of position(when's the last time he's played consistently in that role?) then he wouldn't be taking a spot of any of our current mids.

Dont over think it. Hes played there loads of times for N.Ireland. not sure how many but numerous.
I love beer gardens
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
  Share Topic