You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Away days + World Cup 2022 Accommodation and Travel
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Croatia preliminary squad

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlaskaFox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Croatia preliminary squad
    Posted: 10 May 2012 at 12:30pm
Didn't see this posted, but feel free to merge it if there's some other thread it'd be better suited to.

http://greenscene.me/2012/05/slaven-bilic-announces-croatia-euro-2012-squad/

Croatia manager Slaven Bilić has announced his preliminary squad for Euro 2012, with the final squad due to be named on May 28th.

The Croatia boss has named a 28 man panel, and includes some players who are returning from injury including Tottenham Hotspur midfielder Nico Krancjar. Bilic also used the press conference to confirm that he would be stepping down as international manager after the Euro 2012 finals. “I will end my reign after the Euros. I will still follow the Croatia side, but this is my last job. I thank you all for your confidence. Whoever comes to the take over the team, I wish him all the happiness of the world. I can proudly say that he will find a team that has been continuously among the top ten in the world for the last five years and has so much quality to stay there a lot longer.”

Bilic has his sights set high, outlining his goal for the tournament: “We are better now than in 2008. We are better, but our goal is the same. Then we went to win the Euros, and now we have the same goal.”

Bilic does not feel his departure after the tournament will have an impact on squad morale, as they are a close group and will be spurred on by the fans: “I do not believe that this will affect the mood among the players, we will have a good atmosphere because we have gotten good results. This will not affect our second attempt at the Euros. We have a good team, just look at our results. But 20% of the list, maybe more than 30 percent of players, haven’t played enough with their teams. This was a major problem in qualifying, and remains a problem for the championship, but it is not major. We have time to prepare. We will be ready for Ireland.”

The 44 time Croatian international also ran through the health and fitness issues of his players: ”Pletikosa is ok. Subašić plays well in Monaco, Kelava is okay, Blazevic tpp. Corluka came back and played the last four games for Bayer. Lovren should be back a week before the Euros, but I’ll wait for him, and Kranjcar should be fit by the opening game. That is why I have named a list many players. We will not rush through it, we’ll see what happens at any given moment, but it is a matter of health. Look at the example of where I was before the World Cup in France, I was the worst [fitness wise] of them all, the boss took me and it wasn’t a mistake. Joe is healthy, Sifo healthy, Vida, Strinić, Pranjic, Rakitic all are helathy. Kranjcar is recovering very well, and has time, and we are optimistic as he is recovering faster than average, and I told him I was going to wait until the last minute. Iličević has less of a problem with his abductor muscle, but he is back in training. Perisic, Mandzukic, Olic, Jelavic, Da Silva and Kalinic are healthy.”

Croatia open their Euro 2012 campaign against Ireland, and Bilic believes he knows exactly what to expect from Giovanni Trapattoni’s men. “Trapattoni is one of the few who gave a list of 23 players, and has 5-6 in reserve, and these are all familiar names,” Bilic said. “He has kept faith in those who brought success in qualifying for the Euro. We have thoroughly analyzed them, they are hard, strong, without one particular dangerman, but can be dangerous. Their organisation is good, but it is not impossible to get a 1-on-1 situation with the goalkeeper. You need to be patient, but it is a huge opportunity, we believe we can start with three points, despite the great respect we have for them.”

Preliminary Croatia Euro 2012 squad:
Goalkeepers: Stipe Pletikosa (Rostov), Danijel Subašić (Monaco), Ivan Kelava (Dinamo Zagreb), Goran Blažević (Hajduk Split)
Defenders: Jurica Buljat (Maccaibi Haifa), Domagoj Vida (Dinamo Zagreb), Vedran Ćorluka (Bayer Leverkusen), Josip Šimunić (Dinamo Zagreb), Dejan Lovren (Lyon), Sime Vrsaljko (Dinamo Zagreb), Gordon Schildenfeld (Eintracht Frankfurt), Ivan Strinić (Dnipro), Danijel Pranjić (Bayern Munich)
Midfielders: Dario Srna (Shakhtar), Tomislav Dujmović (Zaragoza), Ognjen Vukojević (Dinamo Kiev), Ivan Rakitić (Sevilla), Luka Modrić (Tottenham), Ivan Perišić (Dortmund), Niko Kranjčar (Tottenham), Milan Badelj (Dinamo Zagreb), Ivo Iličević (Hamburg)
Forwards: Ivica Olić (Bayern Munich), Nikica Jelavić (Everton), Mario Mandžukić (Wolfsburg), Eduardo (Shakhtar), Nikola Kalinić (Dnipro)

Sponsored Links

Greengunner View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greengunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2012 at 12:42pm
"Without one particular dangerman, but can be dangerous" hope that comes back to bite him
Humpy Gussy View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Humpy Gussy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2012 at 2:06pm
Its a very good squad. Alot of quality. I'll be delighted with a draw that would take us, at the very least, into the final game with a chance of qualification. I think we're really going to need to score against them as well as I can't see shutting up shop keeping them at bay for 90 minutes, despite the result against them in August. We really have to get at them. Terrified of Modric in midfield!
'Joxer Goes to Poznan' - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wEjtiJ9udkM
gwhite View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gwhite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2012 at 2:11pm
There's definitely some cockiness coming from them towards us. Olic was saying recently he's confident of 3 points against us and a Croatian I know over here was like "you don't actually think you can get a result against Croatia, do you?" when we were talking about the game. They seem to think that because they bossed the friendly between us last year that we're there for the taking...
Honey Monster View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Semi-Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honey Monster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2012 at 2:20pm

If they are cocky, can you blame them? They played us off the pitch the last time. I doubt that they will take us for granted however, the friendly was a nothing match. To judge any team by a friendly performance is a dangerous approach. These are a class outfit either way.

delidamo View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote delidamo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2012 at 2:31pm
Surely Stephen Kelly will do a job on Modric this weekend in their Premier League game.

Modric is the clear pivotal figure in their side. Without him, they are nowhere near the same side.
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2012 at 2:33pm
Need something from the game. Think it's our best chance of getting 3 points though
Catman View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2012 at 3:20pm
We're always going to be defensive and cautious but if we show a little bit more adventure in this game, which I think we will, grabbing a goal or two here, with our defence, gives us a great chance of an opening win and we'd be going into the Spain game sky high.

Having said that, his analysis "Their organisation is good, but it is not impossible to get a 1-on-1 situation with the goalkeeper." is spot on

The sequence now is, should he miss this, and Ireland's next penalty is scored, then the match and the progress are Ireland's....Timofte against Bonner..
magnumpi View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote magnumpi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2012 at 3:28pm
Was at Villa v Spurs last weekend and Modric was awful, but some of his first touches were subperb.

He's a class player, but just as capable as having an off-day as anyone else.
gufct View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Trapattoni could manage me any day!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gufct Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2012 at 3:39pm
Bilic is quitting after the Euros was announced at lunchtime not really the best news for any team a month before their first game.
Daragho View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daragho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2012 at 3:42pm
Quote from Bilic regarding the Ireland match, after naming his squad:

"With all due respect I feel for them, we want to start the tournament with three points. They are our chance"

I can understand why he would say this. The Ireland match is the best chance for Croatia to get 3 points. They waltzed through us in the friendly last year and we got away with a 0-0.
But I think Trap will go into the first match looking for a draw. He's Italian, after all. They always do that.

Draw v Croatia
Loss v Spain
Win v Italy

Through with 4 points!
BigStrongMan View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Just Modding Like

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigStrongMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2012 at 3:52pm
Originally posted by gufct gufct wrote:

Bilic is quitting after the Euros was announced at lunchtime not really the best news for any team a month before their first game.
Agree should have kept his gob shut on this,better for us
PM me for all forum moderation queries.
Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2012 at 4:05pm
Pletikosa in goal has 90 caps to his credit but he was deemed not good enough for Celtic who duely went and brought Fraser Forster back. In Defense Pjanic is only playing in reserve for Bayern , Simunic is well past at this stage i never rated him too highly at Hertha and he's now playing in the Croatian League , Corluka got flogged by Spurs to Leverkusen mid season on loan as he wasn't delivering the goods for the past part of a season. Lovren of Lyon is a good young player but they had a poor enough season + Srna will probably play in midfield and not at right back!

For all of Croatia's attacking qualities , we shouldn't fear them imo.
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
rolo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2012 at 4:09pm
Look at that fooking squad!!! 

If that doesn't reign in some of the lofty expectations on here, I don't know what will!!
"I'm off to see the Queen tomorrow too, don't forget that"
ringerbell View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ringerbell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2012 at 4:45pm
Originally posted by rolo rolo wrote:

If that doesn't reign in some of the lofty expectations on here, I don't know what will!!
looks like a good side going forward but the defensive side of it is nothing special and if we setup right we will create chances against them 
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2012 at 4:51pm
Originally posted by ringerbell ringerbell wrote:

Originally posted by rolo rolo wrote:

looks like a good side going forward but the defensive side of it is nothing special and if we setup right we will create chances against them 

If they have 70% possession, we'll be doing well to create any chances.
Catman View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2012 at 4:57pm
As we say before every game, central midfield need to step up to the plate big time and not let them walk all over us

The sequence now is, should he miss this, and Ireland's next penalty is scored, then the match and the progress are Ireland's....Timofte against Bonner..
Daragho View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daragho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2012 at 5:10pm
Originally posted by Catman Catman wrote:

As we say before every game, central midfield need to step up to the plate big time and not let them walk all over us

Which won't happen. Smile
Backs to the wall, conceded the midfield, repel the advances = 0-0.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic