You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Covid Denier Cliches

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2021 at 1:59pm
Originally posted by MayoMark MayoMark wrote:

I have no doubt that some people are struggling with their mental health, but I would wager it is those that HAVE to stay indoors that suffer the most. 

People claiming they are suffering from mental health because they can't do x, y or z including pints with the lads, is, as sid has put it, such a bad faith argument. Being annoyed is not a mental health issue. 

People demanding opening pubs or gyms or whatever up because of mental health will plunge those people who have to cocoon into an even deeper hole. Some of the sh*te on twitter this morning is f**king pathetic.

Using mental health as an argument in bad faith is really f**king low. 
I think there is an element of unfairness in that. There's no question that you are correct in that there are lots of what you describe as 'bad faith arguments'(I am not a fan of the term myself), but lots of people are struggling because they can't have a pint with the lads, or whatever. I know my mental health wasn't good in January because I lacked that social confirmation and meeting people I like or even sitting inside somewhere that isn't this flat!
That doesn't mean I think things should be opened up, I have long been in favour of much stricter lockdowns, but just because some people are hijacking mental health issues to excuse their selfishness it doesn't mean those issues aren't there.
There's no doubt whatsoever that those with least reason to complain are those making the most noise!
ripbomb View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ripbomb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2021 at 6:02pm

I have no doubt that some people are struggling with their mental health, but I would wager it is those that HAVE to stay indoors that suffer the most. 

People claiming they are suffering from mental health because they can't do x, y or z including pints with the lads, is, as sid has put it, such a bad faith argument. Being annoyed is not a mental health issue. 

People demanding opening pubs or gyms or whatever up because of mental health will plunge those people who have to cocoon into an even deeper hole. Some of the sh*te on twitter this morning is f**king pathetic.

Well done..i wasn't brave enough to post something along them lines. 
MayoMark View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The NEW angrier Freewheeler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MayoMark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2021 at 6:07pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

I think there is an element of unfairness in that. There's no question that you are correct in that there are lots of what you describe as 'bad faith arguments'(I am not a fan of the term myself), but lots of people are struggling because they can't have a pint with the lads, or whatever. I know my mental health wasn't good in January because I lacked that social confirmation and meeting people I like or even sitting inside somewhere that isn't this flat!
That doesn't mean I think things should be opened up, I have long been in favour of much stricter lockdowns, but just because some people are hijacking mental health issues to excuse their selfishness it doesn't mean those issues aren't there.
There's no doubt whatsoever that those with least reason to complain are those making the most noise!

In fairness, I acknowledge in my post that those issues do exist and they are very real. I miss the football terribly and I hate not having friends over for a cuppa or a chat or whatever. But like you said, the people with least reason to complain are the loudest

I know plenty of people struggling, the there are some serious amount of dishonest ****s out there hijacking that for their own gain, including clicks on YouTube and like on twitter. It's vile
They finally did it man... They killed my f**kin' car...
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2021 at 7:17pm
I didn't think you were being deliberately like that,  just to be clear! I think there's  a difference between what people miss and people need. People who live on their own, in a small flat, or less, and have nowhere to go are more likely to want everything opening up.

I made a faux-pas today with a friend of mine in Cork because I thought he was being anti-lockdown. As is hold have realised, he just wanted to see his son in England. All these sort of pains and anguished have to be considered, especially if we are truly in this together!
sid waddell View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2021 at 9:17pm
"This isn't living, it's existing"

(as opposed to the 2006 Electric Picnic, which infamously was dubbed "living, not existing")
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic