You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Coronavirus - Remain Calm. Do Not Panic

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 769770771772773 839>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The NEW angrier Freewheeler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MayoMark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2021 at 2:59pm
New variant news is incredibly worrying but the anti viral medication in the pipeline appears to be incredibly effective at preventing hospitalisation. It would be effective against any variant. 

Hopefully that gets here soon. 
They finally did it man... They killed my f**kin' car...
Wheelo View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wheelo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2021 at 3:09pm
I tend to agree with the sceptics re antigen tests.isnt it the case you could have virus 3/4 days before it shows on antigen test?

My Mrs gave the daughter 3 antigen tests (don't ask me why!!) which all showed negative and then had pcr test a day after last one confirming she had the virus.
"Not surprised you are anti foreigner in your so called Kip of a town when you don’t want a manager because he is Swedish and you want big Sam in charge" - a fine post from a fine ybig poster
colemanY2K View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2021 at 3:18pm
Originally posted by Wheelo Wheelo wrote:

I tend to agree with the sceptics re antigen tests.isnt it the case you could have virus 3/4 days before it shows on antigen test?

My Mrs gave the daughter 3 antigen tests (don't ask me why!!) which all showed negative and then had pcr test a day after last one confirming she had the virus.
i presume she had symptoms if the mrs was testing the daughter that many times. antigen tests are not to be used if you have symptons, pcr only.

Edited by colemanY2K - 26 Nov 2021 at 3:23pm
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.
Wheelo View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wheelo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2021 at 3:39pm
Originally posted by colemanY2K colemanY2K wrote:

i presume she had symptoms if the mrs was testing the daughter that many times. antigen tests are not to be used if you have symptons, pcr only.

Yeah we thought she just had a bit of a cough, but didn't turn out to be the case in the end! (We were waiting 2 days to get pcr test)
"Not surprised you are anti foreigner in your so called Kip of a town when you don’t want a manager because he is Swedish and you want big Sam in charge" - a fine post from a fine ybig poster
thebronze14 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Derry City Til I Die

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thebronze14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2021 at 3:43pm

In better news hospitalisations are dropping quickly. As for NPHET modelling Ouch

The modelling has been absolutely mental. Even a close study of their projections around July didn't take vaccinations into account and even at that they were crazy! That spooked the government into not opening up more when they should have, when cases were generally low and the weather was better. This has resulted partly in the mess in opening up in October. Some will of course defend them no matter what they do. Can't see there being 200k - 400k cases in December either like they are predicting! 

Morale was really low amongst staff today with yesterday's recommendations. Kids were coming in panicing as well because they heard they needed to wear masks and they heard we might be heading into a lockdown. It just will be unworkable in a DEIS school setting such as ours. Maybe in a leafy suburb it might but adding another impediment into a child's school day when they already have many seems cruel to be honest. I won't be enforcing it in any great way anyway .
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2021 at 3:44pm
The HSE instructions that accompany an antigen test kit (5 tests in the kit) state to perform 3 selerate tests over a timeframe. Two spare tests can be used if required.
Wheelo View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wheelo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2021 at 3:57pm
Originally posted by thebronze14 thebronze14 wrote:

In better news hospitalisations are dropping quickly. As for NPHET modelling Ouch

The modelling has been absolutely mental. Even a close study of their projections around July didn't take vaccinations into account and even at that they were crazy! That spooked the government into not opening up more when they should have, when cases were generally low and the weather was better. This has resulted partly in the mess in opening up in October. Some will of course defend them no matter what they do. Can't see there being 200k - 400k cases in December either like they are predicting! 

Morale was really low amongst staff today with yesterday's recommendations. Kids were coming in panicing as well because they heard they needed to wear masks and they heard we might be heading into a lockdown. It just will be unworkable in a DEIS school setting such as ours. Maybe in a leafy suburb it might but adding another impediment into a child's school day when they already have many seems cruel to be honest. I won't be enforcing it in any great way anyway .

Making young kids wear masks for a full day in school is a stretch too far for me. Looks totally unnatural. 

I don't think history will be kind to us when we see the effect restrictions/lockdowns over 2 years will have had on kids.
The GerK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Razor you wanna pint?...2 minutes later

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The GerK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2021 at 4:51pm

It shows when you are infectious only.
So could take it one day (with symptoms) and be negative but positive a few hours later when you are shedding. 

Dalymount79 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dalymount79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2021 at 5:12pm

sounds like sceptics don’t know how antigen tests should be used or information they provide. Their use is for identifying infectious carriers in their most infectious window but would not present for PCR as don’t have any symptoms. So regular (every 2 days) antigen tests fir folk who work indoors ( bus driver, shops, teachers) makes sense. Also for peace I’d mind if visiting older family.
Artie Ziff View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Artie Ziff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2021 at 6:18pm
Originally posted by MayoMark MayoMark wrote:

New variant news is incredibly worrying but the anti viral medication in the pipeline appears to be incredibly effective at preventing hospitalisation. It would be effective against any variant. 

Hopefully that gets here soon. 

First world hoarding of vaccines hasn't helped. f**king boosters shots for healthy and young people is disgusting when countries around the world have less than 5% of their populations double vaccinated.  
It would damage this forums' reputation
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2021 at 6:29pm

Work in a public school over here which would be classed as very rough school back home. Have been wearing a mask in the classroom since we started back after the summer (had been online since March 2020). It's an utter pain in the hole in terms of communicating with the students, and very hard to police as well. I'm secondary so it's very hard to "police" the use of them in a classroom.

The missus has had to wear one while teaching since September 2020. Last year seemed like a complete disaster as the education board tried to police social distancing in the classroom. Kids were grouped in a pod of 2-4, and were only allowed to interact with those kids in their pod. Were only allowed individual toys to play with, etc (she had a senior infants class).

I assume the social distancing in classrooms at home is non-existent?
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
kopkid View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kopkid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2021 at 6:40pm
Social distancing has worked very well in my school. Children have been excellent and are generally well informed. I teach girls and a lot of them are actually looking forward to wearing masks, especially as it means they can sing. Novelty will presumably wear off I'd imagine. Approximately 20% of our children wear masks anyway
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Derry City Til I Die

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thebronze14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2021 at 8:46am
Originally posted by The Huntacha The Huntacha wrote:

Work in a public school over here which would be classed as very rough school back home. Have been wearing a mask in the classroom since we started back after the summer (had been online since March 2020). It's an utter pain in the hole in terms of communicating with the students, and very hard to police as well. I'm secondary so it's very hard to "police" the use of them in a classroom.

The missus has had to wear one while teaching since September 2020. Last year seemed like a complete disaster as the education board tried to police social distancing in the classroom. Kids were grouped in a pod of 2-4, and were only allowed to interact with those kids in their pod. Were only allowed individual toys to play with, etc (she had a senior infants class).

I assume the social distancing in classrooms at home is non-existent?

We have been masked since the start and it isn't a major issue. Last year I had them in pairs and social distanced in the corridor etc which was a pain to manage with young kids. No after school clubs and yard breaks staggered so they don't meet a lot of their friends. I've abandoned the pods as group work is a big part of their learning and does more harm than good. Run guitar clubs only with single class groups though as of the last few weeks. Clubs coming back have been great for the kids. Like many of the rules at this stage a lot of the rules are just window dressing. Don't want to tempt fate but haven't had any cases in my class the last 20 months thankfully and hopefully that can continue
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Derry City Til I Die

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thebronze14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2021 at 8:47am
Originally posted by kopkid kopkid wrote:

Social distancing has worked very well in my school. Children have been excellent and are generally well informed. I teach girls and a lot of them are actually looking forward to wearing masks, especially as it means they can sing. Novelty will presumably wear off I'd imagine. Approximately 20% of our children wear masks anyway

Forgot about the no singing ruleLOL is that still official guidance?
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2021 at 9:01pm
Pantos can go ahead.. but dont bring the kids.............................
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2021 at 9:04pm
Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

absolute morons
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2021 at 9:05pm
Originally posted by Sham157 Sham157 wrote:

Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

absolute morons

OH NO THEY AREN'T!
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2021 at 9:09pm
LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 769770771772773 839>
  Share Topic