You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Coronavirus - Remain Calm. Do Not Panic

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 302303304305306 839>
Author
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2020 at 7:26pm
Planning is just upset that not enough people have died to satisfy him.
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
planning View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Football version of Comical Ali.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote planning Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2020 at 8:00pm
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

Lags are not inventions.  Typically it takes 14 days for the virus to materialize and then 7 days of fighting it before someone passes away and its recorded.  .

There we go again, "typical".

No 2 cases of this are the same. One case could develop symptoms in 2 weeks, another case in 2 days. One case could suffer severe symptoms, another case none at all. How strong your immune system is, will determine that. One size does not fit all. 
VAR: Cutting the crap out of football.
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2020 at 8:03pm
Originally posted by planning planning wrote:

Lags are not inventions.  Typically it takes 14 days for the virus to materialize and then 7 days of fighting it before someone passes away and its recorded.  .

There we go again, "typical".

No 2 cases of this are the same. One case could develop symptoms in 2 weeks, another case in 2 days. One case could suffer severe symptoms, another case none at all. How strong your immune system is, will determine that. One size does not fit all. 

Yes If you compare two cases but when you are dealing with big data you can see trends and with this virus we are dealing with big data.  
AKA pedantic kunt
nvidic View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nvidic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2020 at 8:17pm
5-6 days is the average time for symptoms, not 14

But it is only a week since cases flew up so deaths certainly wouldn't be reflected yet
Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2020 at 8:34pm
I don't see any large number of deaths in the short-term. If we are to accept that the majority of new cases are for people outside the dangerous age zone it's unlikely to have large fatalities in that age cohort. So if this average of 50 cases per day and no deaths is the dreaded second wave we are doing not bad at all. And apologies for being crass but all those elderly people who sadly died in the nursing homes cannot die a second time. As regards the decisions made i think they are being too cautious and basing all policies on worst case examples abroad. NPHET are offering advice on health matters and the Government are prioritising the health of the vulnerable over the economics of the country. 7 billion deficit and counting.That's there prerogative. There will be austerity to pay for this. And finally all those making the crucial decisions can do so with the assurance that they won't face much hardship down the road with their large salaries and PS pensions.

Edited by Cabra Hoop - 05 Aug 2020 at 8:36pm
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
Shoco View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Hail Hail the Celts are here

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shoco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2020 at 9:07pm
the reason the deaths are low is because the high risk people, mainly the elderly are not taking any risks, if we open everything up again full steam ahead then these people will basically have to hide away as cases will rise again.

I’d rather keep things the way they are than have to lock my grandmother in the house for the rest of her life

YOUR 3 IN A ROW LEAGUE CHAMPIONS
Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2020 at 9:15pm
Originally posted by Shoco Shoco wrote:

the reason the deaths are low is because the high risk people, mainly the elderly are not taking any risks, if we open everything up again full steam ahead then these people will basically have to hide away as cases will rise again.

I’d rather keep things the way they are than have to lock my grandmother in the house for the rest of her life
I don't think any single person on this forum has advocated opening up full steam ahead without taking necessary precautions. I think there is a bit of leeway for opening rural pubs and increasing attendances at outdoor sporting events. I take exception to bring told that I cannot behave myself in either of previous settings. It's actually insulting.

Edited by Cabra Hoop - 05 Aug 2020 at 9:16pm
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
sid waddell View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2020 at 9:50pm
Originally posted by Cabra Hoop Cabra Hoop wrote:

I don't think any single person on this forum has advocated opening up full steam ahead without taking necessary precautions. I think there is a bit of leeway for opening rural pubs and increasing attendances at outdoor sporting events. I take exception to bring told that I cannot behave myself in either of previous settings. It's actually insulting.
You might be able to behave yourself in a pub but there are a lot of people who aren't able or who just flat out don't give a sh*t

The truth is that pub culture in this country is fundamentally incompatible with physical distancing to keep a virus suppressed

McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2020 at 9:53pm
Originally posted by sid waddell sid waddell wrote:

You might be able to behave yourself in a pub but there are a lot of people who aren't able or who just flat out don't give a sh*t

The truth is that pub culture in this country is fundamentally incompatible with physical distancing to keep a virus suppressed

This

Was down my local last week and people were coming in slobbering all over each other as the evening wore on. 

Have seen many examples of people full on embracing each other too. That custom only heightened under the influence of alkyhol.

I was in the off licence next door after my time was up and a lad i went to school with came in scooped up and wanted to give me a hug ffs LOL

Edited by McG - 05 Aug 2020 at 9:54pm
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Shoco View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Hail Hail the Celts are here

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shoco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2020 at 9:57pm
Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

This

Was down my local last week and people were coming in slobbering all over each other as the evening wore on. 

Have seen many examples of people full on embracing each other too. That custom only heightened under the influence of alkyhol.

I was in the off licence next door after my time was up and a lad i went to school with came in scooped up and wanted to give me a hug ffs LOL

It’s not just the customers that can’t stick to the rules,  the pubs can’t be trusted to abide by the guidelines either, I’m sure some do but we all know of pubs that are open that aren’t sticking to the guidelines

YOUR 3 IN A ROW LEAGUE CHAMPIONS
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2020 at 10:05pm

Would also agree with this.
My parents are both over 70 - If keeping the pubs closed that bit longer means it less risky for them to be able do even a few normal things then I'm in favour (though I do appreciate this won't be easy on publicans). 
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2020 at 10:07pm

Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

This

It’s not just the customers that can’t stick to the rules,  the pubs can’t be trusted to abide by the guidelines either, I’m sure some do but we all know of pubs that are open that aren’t sticking to the guidelines
Of course they can't

Pubs are businesses which depend on money coming in the door , they aren't "ye olde Irelande" museum displays

You can't expect that a business will behave in a manner that turns away vital business in a crisis, especially in a country where the culture is one of admiration for bending or flouting rules

Edited by sid waddell - 05 Aug 2020 at 10:10pm
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2020 at 10:24pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Originally posted by Olaf Olaf wrote:

What do you suggest we do? 

Ireland: 0 Deaths for 5 consecutive days. Thumbs Up

The Minister For Hardship hereby declares the following orders on the nation.  

Shut the pubs. Nuke
Shut the clubs. Nuke
Shut the gyms. Nuke
Shut the stadiums. Nuke
Stay 2m apart. Nuke
Wear the rags. Nuke
Isolate yourself. Nuke
Enforce quarantine. Nuke

Keep paying PUPS. Nuke
Bankrupt the nation. Nuke

Complying with the above measures is required, in case we enter the apocalyptic rate of 1 death per week shortly. Nuke

You do.realise.there is a 3 week lag in cases to deaths.   The reason we have 0 deaths at the moment is the rate was so low a.few weeks ago..  it's now picking.up.   in addition younger people.are getting.the virus now compsted to previously.   Doesnt mean it wont be passed on if it gets out of control.
Are. You. Posting. Via. Telegram. Stop.

LOL
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
seanyshuffler View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
PM snitch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seanyshuffler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2020 at 10:26pm
Anyone that wants to go to a pub should be given a shock collar on arrival. If the frequency comes into anyone outside your social group then it shocks you. 

That'll sorrt the majority out but maybe not the s and m freaks up in dundalk.
planning View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Football version of Comical Ali.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote planning Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2020 at 10:43pm

Yes If you compare two cases but when you are dealing with big data you can see trends and with this virus we are dealing with big data. 

They're not reading the data. The government response to 0 deaths for several days, was to delay Phase 4. For the second time. That is clearly not reading the data. 

Instead, they are listening to the nostradamus forecasts of the looming apocalypse, as it's them not the government who are running the show. Remember, Holohan didn't want any of the original measures eased until at least the end of August. Imagine how bad things would be now if we had to put up with that. 

If they did read the figures, they would know that 1 in 4 cases are in Dublin, that most cases are young people, that they are not dying in significant numbers, if at all, and the hospitals can cope with the numbers. The only people who should wear masks, are the people who need to wear them. A  temporary emergency measure. Making it mandatory does not help anyone, and in the UK and other countries, it's helped make the situation even worse than it was already. 

Firstly, we were told to protect the hospitals. Then we were told to flatten the curve. Now we're told to eliminate all risk. Sorry, the last one is impossible. Now the worst is over, the focus should be on controlling and managing the virus. And while there are 0 deaths, it is manageable.

Read the data. The data will tell you all you need to know and all you need to do. 
VAR: Cutting the crap out of football.
Fruice View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fruice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2020 at 10:49pm
my understanding on the symptoms speaking to some Docs is that day 8 is the day things can turn on some one with Covid they can have mild symptoms and all of sudden be in big trouble even amongst the younger population.

You can have the likes of planning saying we are too strict in comparison to other countries maybe we are
But Jesus we don’t want to back phases.

But once again from speaking with Docs they all say the same thing you do not want to get Covid.

Edited by Fruice - 05 Aug 2020 at 10:50pm
Jackal View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jackal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2020 at 10:50pm
Supposedly Waterford's doctor resigned as employees were returning from the UK without self isolating? Players or management? Waterford are being unfairly singled out as they are not the only club doing this.

Edited by Jackal - 05 Aug 2020 at 10:51pm
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2020 at 11:04pm

They're not reading the data. The government response to 0 deaths for several days, was to delay Phase 4. For the second time. That is clearly not reading the data. 

Instead, they are listening to the nostradamus forecasts of the looming apocalypse, as it's them not the government who are running the show. Remember, Holohan didn't want any of the original measures eased until at least the end of August. Imagine how bad things would be now if we had to put up with that. 

If they did read the figures, they would know that 1 in 4 cases are in Dublin, that most cases are young people, that they are not dying in significant numbers, if at all, and the hospitals can cope with the numbers. The only people who should wear masks, are the people who need to wear them. A  temporary emergency measure. Making it mandatory does not help anyone, and in the UK and other countries, it's helped make the situation even worse than it was already. 

Firstly, we were told to protect the hospitals. Then we were told to flatten the curve. Now we're told to eliminate all risk. Sorry, the last one is impossible. Now the worst is over, the focus should be on controlling and managing the virus. And while there are 0 deaths, it is manageable.

Read the data. The data will tell you all you need to know and all you need to do. 
Being a right-wing culture warrior must be a hell of a drug
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 302303304305306 839>
  Share Topic