You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Coronavirus - Remain Calm. Do Not Panic

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 232233234235236 839>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2020 at 7:17pm
Originally posted by MC Hammered MC Hammered wrote:

Originally posted by heighway2heaven heighway2heaven wrote:

Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Originally posted by seanyshuffler seanyshuffler wrote:

I'd agree there should be a consideration (open debate) about whether to open up faster. The longer we leave things I'd imagine the worse things will get in terms of increases in depression, suicide etc.

It would be interesting to see the data if there is excess rates of suicide during the lockdown or if they have decreased.

Personally I think a lot of people are trying to use any sort of emotional blackmail excuse in an effort to pressurise and lobby the premature re-opening of the country not so  much because they are actually concerned about mental health or starving children worldwide but because they want their cinema visit or  holiday in the Costa del Sewage.

Numbers aren't published until later in the proceeding year, but anecdotally, in Ireland as well as the UK, they've absolutely exploded, so expect to see them reflected when the tally comes out.

Unsure how you could even consider they might decrease Confused

TJ, my mate runs a free mental health online support service. They are massively oversubscribed at the moment. There has been a 370% increase in demand since lockdown. They are turning people away as they haven’t got sufficient resources unfortunately. If you work that through to the logical conclusion then I can’t see how suicide rates will have decreased, the result is obviously going to be the opposite. 

Doesn't necessarily mean people are more suicidal.  Worries about getting the virus and loved ones getting the virus has caused a massive spike in anxiety.  Childline has increased calls because of this.  Also I imagine a lot of in person therapy for anxiety had to cease as a result of the virus closing business and so many might turn to call lines.  Maybe a lot of calls are people worried about dying not wanting to die.
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
MC Hammered View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2020 at 7:57pm

A four fold increase in access to mental health services is potentially a sign that people are less likely to be suicidal you reckon? Riiiiiight 
El Puto Amo
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2020 at 8:01pm

A four fold increase in access to mental health services is potentially a sign that people are less likely to be suicidal you reckon? Riiiiiight 

Depression isn't the only mental health issue you know.  Like I said anxiety in the general population has skyrocketed as a result of Covid 19 but you didn't want to address that point

Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2020 at 8:06pm

I’m happy to address the point. Yes, I’m sure anxiety has increased. I have felt it myself. 

However you also said the following so I’m not sure what you really believe about the true level of public anxiety:

“Personally I think a lot of people are trying to use any sort of emotional blackmail excuse in an effort to pressurise and lobby the premature re-opening of the country not so  much because they are actually concerned about mental health or starving children worldwide but because they want their cinema visit or  holiday in the Costa del Sewage.”

Edited by MC Hammered - 29 May 2020 at 8:07pm
El Puto Amo
sid waddell View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2020 at 9:16pm

I’m happy to address the point. Yes, I’m sure anxiety has increased. I have felt it myself. 

However you also said the following so I’m not sure what you really believe about the true level of public anxiety:

“Personally I think a lot of people are trying to use any sort of emotional blackmail excuse in an effort to pressurise and lobby the premature re-opening of the country not so  much because they are actually concerned about mental health or starving children worldwide but because they want their cinema visit or  holiday in the Costa del Sewage.”

A lot of people use a lot of bullsh*t "talking points" and emotional blackmail techniques when they can't defend an argument, so desperate are they to get what they want, or to be proved right on the INTERNET (it's serious business for a lot of people). So I'm quite sure this bad faith argument paired with this bad faith motive is indeed being used by quite a lot of people. 

I mean I've been accused by Trump supporters on other platforms of "wanting to see millions of people die" because I said that Trump's response to Coronavirus was an utter disgrace.

I've seen other people be accused of "wanting the GAA to fail" because they say that GAA grounds should remain closed for public safety reasons.

In the past I've been accused of "hoping that girl was raped" when I said I thought the complainant in the Jackson/Olding trial had been raped, after following every day of the trial.

I've no doubt that old chestnut beloved of right-wing cranks, "the war on fun", will be rolled out very shortly, if indeed it hasn't already been.

Good faith arguments are not in plentiful supply these days, bad faith ones are as common as tennis balls thrown onto the Lansdowne Road pitch during the Ireland-Georgia game last year.

Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2020 at 9:19pm
Interestingly, Japan has seen a fall in suicides during Covid-19. 

I'm not extrapolating any wider trends from that, I'm just stating that that is what has happened in Japan.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2020 at 10:30pm

In March and April when things were getting bad there was definitely a massive increase in anxiety in the general population.  A lot of people still have it but I am sure a lot of people's anxiety has eased at least partly due to the easing of the virus. Not sure what the confusion is.  The idiots wanting a quick fix and reopen the country tomorrow attitude throwing out suicide and mental health as an emotional blackmail on people to force through their idiotic agenda that puts people at risk.  Such people think that if they drop the the excuse of suicide into the conversation in re-opening they now have the moral high ground and think their agenda is immune from being criticised. 

Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2020 at 10:40pm

Jaysis TJ, that’s a really crass argument. You reckon people are throwing around “the excuse of suicide”? How many people have killed themselves in this country in the last few years? It’s one of the biggest killers of young men in Ireland. 
I don’t believe you’re interested in the reality, you want to win the argument and I won’t change your mind irrespective. I’ll leave it there so.

El Puto Amo
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2020 at 10:43pm

Jaysis TJ, that’s a really crass argument. You reckon people are throwing around “the excuse of suicide”? How many people have killed themselves in this country in the last few years? It’s one of the biggest killers of young men in Ireland. 
I don’t believe you’re interested in the reality, you want to win the argument and I won’t change your mind irrespective. I’ll leave it there so.

I 100% believe there is section of the 're-open the country' lobby using suicide as an excuse to get what they want and their concern for suicide is faux.

They are using suicide as a vector to get their stupid ideas heard.

seanyshuffler View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
PM snitch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seanyshuffler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2020 at 11:23pm
That's very interesting post McH. If you google samaritans and ireland you'll see calls etc are up. Tj and sid what's the end game with your logic? Do you want a very conservative lockdown until there is no new reported cases in Ireland? Should we lock down travel? Close the entry from North to South?

I'm not trying to be a wum I'm actually interested. 
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2020 at 11:26pm
Are we saying that if we look throughout the right-wing media in the UK and US, we haven't seen all sorts of terrible, bad faith arguments to for abolishing restrictions prematurely?

I'm talking about the Telegraph, the Mail, the Sun, the Express, the Spectator, Spiked Online, Guido Fawkes, the New York Post, the Wall Street Journal, Fox, One America News Network, and all the rest, including prominent and non-prominent social media, including the evil **** in the White House?

And have the meaningleess, vapid cliches used by these ****s seeped into everyday discourse?

Sorry, what's happening here is basic psychology. It's the temptation to quit taking antibiotics before you've completed the course. 

There's a reason you complete the course, not abandon it when you start to see an improvement.

We do realise we currently have a higher daily case number than on March 12th when everybody rushed out to the supermarkets to panic buy pasta, rice, and bog roll, right?

We do realise our test, trace and isolation set up, if it were a car, would be a Trabant without an engine?

But Colm O'Rourke is telling us "we need less caution", and he's apparently a respected figure in the community, so he must know what he's talking about, right?

He's an expert virologist and epidemiologist, right?

Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2020 at 11:37pm
Originally posted by seanyshuffler seanyshuffler wrote:

That's very interesting post McH. If you google samaritans and ireland you'll see calls etc are up. Tj and sid what's the end game with your logic? Do you want a very conservative lockdown until there is no new reported cases in Ireland? Should we lock down travel? Close the entry from North to South?

I'm not trying to be a wum I'm actually interested. 
There are two ways of opening up. 

One is to wait until lockdown has suppressed the virus completely. 

I think we probably all agree that that's not going to happen, and shouldn't. 

The other is we slowly open up, hoping that the spread of the virus will continue to reduce under this tenuous emerging normality, and that case figures will hopefully keep falling. To do that we need a properly functioning test, trace and isolation regime which has the ability to cater for large amounts of cases. 

I have no confidence that we have that or will have that.

The other option is to "open it up ta fook" like they have in parts of the US, which would be utterly immoral.

pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2020 at 11:41pm
It's what we have here too, in all but name.
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2020 at 11:49pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

It's what we have here too, in all but name.
Right-wing crackpots like when ordinary people die in large numbers, because they're psychopaths.

Plus it gives them a genuine chance to say their policies actually work in terms of achieving their aims.
coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2020 at 11:50pm
We're at the stage now where everything might aswell be opened purely because it's impossible to police.

You can police a full lockdown by simply detaining anyone who's not indoors.
You can't police someone who's not 2 metres apart at his uncle in law's BBQ party. Just what's the point man.

I was watching Sky earlier and they were doing a step by step guide on how to have a socially distanced family BBQ LOL
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2020 at 12:10am
Originally posted by coyne coyne wrote:

We're at the stage now where everything might aswell be opened purely because it's impossible to police.

You can police a full lockdown by simply detaining anyone who's not indoors.
You can't police someone who's not 2 metres apart at his uncle in law's BBQ party. Just what's the point man.

I was watching Sky earlier and they were doing a step by step guide on how to have a socially distanced family BBQ LOL
The Tories have deliberately made it impossible to police. 

These are the evil ****s who spent the last four years shouting about the "blitz spirit".
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2020 at 12:11am
Lots of pubs have been doing some takeaway food and beer, I don't have a problem with that and have even used them to keep them open, but I passed one pub on my way back from a walk yesterday and there was a dozen people outside drinking from plastic cups. They may as well have let them in to sit down. Cummings was the final straw and it was unquestionably deliberate. 
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2020 at 7:35am
72 new posts

Welcome back Trap
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 232233234235236 839>
  Share Topic