You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : League Of Ireland : Premier and First Division
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Cork City Foras Co-Op Football Club

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7273747576 80>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote savo01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2020 at 8:44am
What will the new Cork team be called when this one runs into the ground? Corky McCork City? 
Jackie Charlton, Eoin Hand
Johnny Giles. Ireland
Mick McCarthy, Stephen Staunton
Cascarino
Tony Galvin, Niall Quinn
Packie doesn't let em in
North of Ireland
South of Ireland
Only one can go
Sponsored Links

Shoco View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Hail Hail the Celts are here

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shoco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2020 at 9:07am
Originally posted by 9fingers 9fingers wrote:

Neale Fenn gone. 

A two faced horrible ****, delighted for him Clap

YOUR 3 IN A ROW LEAGUE CHAMPIONS
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2020 at 10:20am
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

Originally posted by DublinScouse1916 DublinScouse1916 wrote:

Why does the city of Cork seen incapable of maintaining a football club for a decent period of time?
All had different stories/reasons. 35 years in the league now, we're not disappearing this year either.
It's not 35 years. It died in 2010. I actually think that the attempts to pretend otherwise were a part of the problem. 
Whatever, I support a team called Cork City that play out of Turners Cross and have won 3 league titles in my lifetime. Have done so my entire life. Clubs change owners all the time. I know others like to sl*g us about it, but it doesn't really change how I feel about the team.
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2020 at 10:22am
Originally posted by nvidic nvidic wrote:

Originally posted by 9fingers 9fingers wrote:

Also, the vote for the sale of the club to Preston owners is happening 28th October
Sale for €1. Absolute madness, I’m not surprised theirs dissent in the camp 
Yeah it's a tricky one. The board do a trojan amount of work, and the volunteers do a huge amount of fundraising just to keep things above board, I love keeping it in the club, but then again I'm a lazy bastard who doesn't get involved in the fundraising. So if selling to Preston secures us financially, and relieves a lot of the work, who am I to tell them "no, keep doing the work"

Surely Bohs should be the model of what ye aim for? Fan owned, a few paid staff members to keep it ticking over help of the board and volunteers.

Seems absolutely bonkers to sell up because people don't want to do the work, Preston only be using it as a factory for young talent and a loaning ground for poor English talent. 
Yeah Bohs seem to have it fairly sorted, and it reminds me of what City used to look like 5 years ago. City lost the run of itself with some signings that didn't work out and poor budgeting. I think asking volunteers to do finance and governance roles unless they have a proper background in it is tough too. Bohs seem to match the roles to the volunteers better than City did.
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2020 at 10:45am

Why does the city of Cork seen incapable of maintaining a football club for a decent period of time?
All had different stories/reasons. 35 years in the league now, we're not disappearing this year either.
It's not 35 years. It died in 2010. I actually think that the attempts to pretend otherwise were a part of the problem. 
Whatever, I support a team called Cork City that play out of Turners Cross and have won 3 league titles in my lifetime. Have done so my entire life. Clubs change owners all the time. I know others like to sl*g us about it, but it doesn't really change how I feel about the team.
I think it changed everything,  deep down, but many tried to pretend otherwise. Everything felt different. It was a commendable effort and still probably the best option in the circumstances, but definitely not the same as before. Going to watch Cork City Foras Co-op was different. Team names are important in football, look how Hull City fans reacted to the 'tigers thing.

I also think that there hasn't been the same level of capability on the board for a while, not in comparison to the start. The pool of people willing to do it has always been small, which goes back to point about it not being a football city. It does show what a great job Jackie Lennox did for so long, but times have changed from then too.
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2020 at 11:21am

I think it changed everything,  deep down, but many tried to pretend otherwise. Everything felt different. It was a commendable effort and still probably the best option in the circumstances, but definitely not the same as before. Going to watch Cork City Foras Co-op was different. Team names are important in football, look how Hull City fans reacted to the 'tigers thing.

I also think that there hasn't been the same level of capability on the board for a while, not in comparison to the start. The pool of people willing to do it has always been small, which goes back to point about it not being a football city. It does show what a great job Jackie Lennox did for so long, but times have changed from then too.
Yeah the pool got smaller and smaller, every time they got a new board member it seemed to get more junior, to the point the lads being asked to prepare accounts were just lads who'd done leaving cert accounting. It was a failure on the rest of us really not to give them a dig out. I know there's a few there (the legal team Shane and Sean), who've been using their professional skills to help out the club for free, really you need everyone in the club to be doing that for it to work. 
GoneToShowgies View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GoneToShowgies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2020 at 12:26pm

Yeah the pool got smaller and smaller, every time they got a new board member it seemed to get more junior, to the point the lads being asked to prepare accounts were just lads who'd done leaving cert accounting. It was a failure on the rest of us really not to give them a dig out. I know there's a few there (the legal team Shane and Sean), who've been using their professional skills to help out the club for free, really you need everyone in the club to be doing that for it to work. 

Are you for fcuking real. A serious lack of unprofessionalism. There are junior league clubs who wouldn'tdo that. 
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2020 at 12:38pm
Originally posted by GoneToShowgies GoneToShowgies wrote:

Are you for fcuking real. A serious lack of unprofessionalism. There are junior league clubs who wouldn'tdo that. 
Sorry, they were obviously signed off by chartered accountants, but the day to day bookkeeping was being done by volunteers, not a "Finance Department" or whatever you'd expect of a proper club.
AnCearrbhach View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnCearrbhach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2020 at 2:34pm
Saddens me that Bohs can run a fan owned club for 130 years but we can barely manage a decade. This whole thing is dodgy. Not sure how much of the little info I have I'm allowed share but I will never vote for this no matter what is promised. 
Aithníonn ciaróg ciaróg eile.
ProudAndLoud View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProudAndLoud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2020 at 6:32pm
I'm fairly close to LOI and would you not agree that a lot of clubs Cork definitely being one are paying very big wages to players that haven't made it in UK. I dont mean irish players but english who coaches like Fenn are buying off agent and English coaches recommendations. These players cost huge money. Wages plus accommodation plus cars in some circumstances. LOI cannot sustain that anytime but especially now. Spending being done without looking at overall impact.

Edited by ProudAndLoud - 08 Oct 2020 at 6:33pm
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2020 at 10:40pm
Originally posted by ProudAndLoud ProudAndLoud wrote:

I'm fairly close to LOI and would you not agree that a lot of clubs Cork definitely being one are paying very big wages to players that haven't made it in UK. I dont mean irish players but english who coaches like Fenn are buying off agent and English coaches recommendations. These players cost huge money. Wages plus accommodation plus cars in some circumstances. LOI cannot sustain that anytime but especially now. Spending being done without looking at overall impact.
I totally agree that the lads coming from the UK are generally useless, even the local lads coming home have generally been useless, Damien Delaney and Graeme Cummns the latest.

But as far as wages go, they're no astronomical. The lads coming over for City are offered (and most taking) spare rooms in volunteers houses. It's not glamorous
Jackal View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jackal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2020 at 11:29pm
Originally posted by ProudAndLoud ProudAndLoud wrote:

The problem is this. When we won the league the board of management upped the expected gate figures to stupid numbers, a figure that no club in Ireland would ever get. There was no CEO as he got sacked over an allegation where he was found not guilty. I suspect the lack of a CEO caused some of the problems.
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2020 at 2:14pm
Is the interest from the Preston fella genuine?
Jackal View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jackal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2020 at 4:47pm

Is the interest from the Preston fella genuine?
He owns a few things in Cork already. He is in his 80s,  it's the son to watch.
Shoco View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Hail Hail the Celts are here

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shoco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2020 at 2:22pm
any craic in this thread?

YOUR 3 IN A ROW LEAGUE CHAMPIONS
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2020 at 2:41pm
Originally posted by Shoco Shoco wrote:

any craic in this thread?
The Craic died in 2018
ProudAndLoud View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProudAndLoud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2020 at 2:53pm
While I know a lot of the problems have been off the pitch there has been a lot on it as well.
Looks to me a lot of English players were signed on the blind and didn't live up to expectations. Not easy for young ex academy players to adapt to LOI. 
There are good players in Munster area and Cork need to start recruiting within region now and offload the under performers. I hope Colin Healey is kept on as he has the club at heart.

adineen98 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adineen98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2020 at 4:39pm
Our player recruitment has been terrible for years now, struggling to think of a player signed over the past 3 seasons who has made a genuine impact on the pitch. If only our problems were consigned to recruitment. 
Tír gan teanga, tír gan anam
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7273747576 80>
  Share Topic