Forum Home Forum Home : League Of Ireland : Premier and First Division
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Cork City Foras Co-Op Football Club

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7172737475 80>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2020 at 7:43pm
Originally posted by The Huntacha The Huntacha wrote:

Am I over-estimating its popularity in Cork? I know it's a big county and has a lot of competition from the GAA but I always would have thought that football was very popular in the city?

Some of the bigger GAA clubs would be in the City. 
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
Sponsored Links

pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2020 at 7:49pm

Am I over-estimating its popularity in Cork? I know it's a big county and has a lot of competition from the GAA but I always would have thought that football was very popular in the city?

The crowds alone should tell you that! I was going for twenty years and there was a half dozen full houses. Football mad cities don't exist in Ireland.
I don't think there was ever much more interest than anywhere else, maybe a bigger passing interest, but that is only useful when in a cup final. 
The thing that was peculiar, but I don't think unique to Cork as I have heard similar in Limerick, was the lack of support from MSL teams towards Cork City. I don't know if that's still the case.
Jackal View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jackal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2020 at 7:55pm

The population is there to have a team. Maybe it's just every club overspends. Cork United bought the league back in the day, went bust and all the same players and officials joined Cork Athletic and they just done the same thing. 
Shoco View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Hail Hail the Celts are here

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shoco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2020 at 8:51pm
Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

Originally posted by reddladd reddladd wrote:

How has it gone so bad for Cork?

Is there any other league where champions found themselves relegated a couple of years later?

Blackburn. League Champions in 95 relegated in 99

Dundalk, champions 95 relegated 99

YOUR 3 IN A ROW LEAGUE CHAMPIONS
oldbilly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2020 at 9:41pm
Originally posted by Jackal Jackal wrote:

The population is there to have a team. Maybe it's just every club overspends. Cork United bought the league back in the day, went bust and all the same players and officials joined Cork Athletic and they just done the same thing. 

Weird to hear lads, I’ve been down on away days and the cross would be a bit off full but hopping, as well I’d be making a weekend of it and whatever barman in whatever hotel would give you a real cork sl*gging over 1 being a Dubliner and2 being bohs,
“Jesus you’ve got all the problems boy”.
f**king love that town and the craic in it, stay up ffs.
Jackal View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jackal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2020 at 9:45pm
Originally posted by oldbilly oldbilly wrote:

Weird to hear lads, I’ve been down on away days and the cross would be a bit off full but hopping, as well I’d be making a weekend of it and whatever barman in whatever hotel would give you a real cork sl*gging over 1 being a Dubliner and2 being bohs,
“Jesus you’ve got all the problems boy”.
f**king love that town and the craic in it, stay up ffs.
We'll win the game in hand against Dundalk, be grand. 
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2020 at 11:25pm
Neale Fenn gone. 
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2020 at 11:37pm
Originally posted by 9fingers 9fingers wrote:

Neale Fenn gone. 

Two words....Roddy dy

And im not even joking
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2020 at 11:54pm
Originally posted by doherty doherty wrote:

Neale Fenn gone. 

Two words....Roddy dy

And im not even joking

Colin Healy taking over for the remainder of the campaign according to Dan McDonnell
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2020 at 12:02am

Neale Fenn gone. 

Two words....Roddy dy

And im not even joking

Colin Healy taking over for the remainder of the campaign according to Dan McDonnell

It would be awful funny if Cork City rang him up now and said, sorry for messing you about but Roy Keane has decided to come and manage us after all so I am afraid we won't be needing you.
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2020 at 12:28am
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Neale Fenn gone. 

Two words....Roddy dy

And im not even joking

It would be awful funny if Cork City rang him up now and said, sorry for messing you about but Roy Keane has decided to come and manage us after all so I am afraid we won't be needing you.

LOL

Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2020 at 7:23am

Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

Also, the vote for the sale of the club to Preston owners is happening 28th October
Sale for €1. Absolute madness, I’m not surprised theirs dissent in the camp 
Yeah it's a tricky one. The board do a trojan amount of work, and the volunteers do a huge amount of fundraising just to keep things above board, I love keeping it in the club, but then again I'm a lazy bastard who doesn't get involved in the fundraising. So if selling to Preston secures us financially, and relieves a lot of the work, who am I to tell them "no, keep doing the work"
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2020 at 7:27am
Originally posted by DublinScouse1916 DublinScouse1916 wrote:

Why does the city of Cork seen incapable of maintaining a football club for a decent period of time?
All had different stories/reasons. 35 years in the league now, we're not disappearing this year either.
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2020 at 7:29am
Originally posted by ProudAndLoud ProudAndLoud wrote:

Pay big wages that can't be sustained. Big Wages didn't equal Big Performances 
The big wages are a thing of the Gable/O'Callaghan era, most of the last few years were very modest (sub €50k a year, most under €30k). I think it was the size of the squad that cost us, we had 30 layers on the payroll at one stage, 4 left backs! We're not on the Rovers/Dundalk level on salaries. I'm not sure Ireland can support more than a few clubs paying proper wages
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2020 at 7:29am

If a football mad city like Cork
I wouldn't be too sure about that. 

A part of the problem is fundraising. The club will never make money the way Sligo does. The local hurling clubs are peoples' priority.
Yeah a lot of the city doesn't care about the club. They're rugby, GAA, Premier League fans. Most of our fans are very working class, so it's not a big pool for fundraising.
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2020 at 7:31am

Population doesn't equal a team. Dublin has a far bigger population/club ratio and doesn't get the crowds either
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2020 at 7:53am

Originally posted by DublinScouse1916 DublinScouse1916 wrote:

Why does the city of Cork seen incapable of maintaining a football club for a decent period of time?
All had different stories/reasons. 35 years in the league now, we're not disappearing this year either.
It's not 35 years. It died in 2010. I actually think that the attempts to pretend otherwise were a part of the problem. 

Edited by pre Madonna - 08 Oct 2020 at 7:57am
nvidic View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nvidic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2020 at 8:14am

Also, the vote for the sale of the club to Preston owners is happening 28th October
Sale for €1. Absolute madness, I’m not surprised theirs dissent in the camp 
Yeah it's a tricky one. The board do a trojan amount of work, and the volunteers do a huge amount of fundraising just to keep things above board, I love keeping it in the club, but then again I'm a lazy bastard who doesn't get involved in the fundraising. So if selling to Preston secures us financially, and relieves a lot of the work, who am I to tell them "no, keep doing the work"

Surely Bohs should be the model of what ye aim for? Fan owned, a few paid staff members to keep it ticking over help of the board and volunteers.

Seems absolutely bonkers to sell up because people don't want to do the work, Preston only be using it as a factory for young talent and a loaning ground for poor English talent. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7172737475 80>
  Share Topic