Author
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Coppell rules himself out
    Posted: 25 Oct 2007 at 11:43am

COPPELL HAPPY WITH ROYALS ROLE

Posted 25/10/07 17:27
EmailPrintSave

if (typeof getTopBettingLinks != 'undefined') getTopBettingLinks('19195262','5','f365')

Reading manager Steve Coppell has ruled himself out of the running for the Republic of Ireland job.

The former England winger had been suggested as a possible replacement for Steve Staunton, who left the post on Tuesday following a disappointing Euro 2008 qualification campaign.

Coppell made it clear he had no plans to leave the Madejski Stadium just yet but admitted he had helped create the speculation himself by his comments in a television interview.

He said: "The stories are just people being mischievous but I did do an interview with Pat Dolan, who does the TV over there, and he asked about it.

"I just said the older I get the more international football appeals to me. Eight games a year - I could quite happily do that.

"I also happened to mention my grandmother was Irish so to all intents and purposes I qualify."

Midfielder Stephen Hunt, who was given his Republic debut by Staunton last season, reckoned the Football Association of Ireland might be able to tempt Coppell in a few seasons' time.

He said: "He has enough on his hands here at the moment but maybe sometime down the line our manager might fancy it."

Hunt, who was sent off in September's 1-0 defeat in the Czech Republic, admitted Staunton's position had become untenable as soon as qualification for the Euro 2008 finals became impossible.

He said: "We had fallen below expectations in terms of what Ireland could achieve.

"Over the years Ireland raised the bar so the generation that is playing now are expected to qualify for European Championships and World Cups, which is a good thing because if you are happy with third or fourth place then you might as well not be playing at all.

"Whoever gets the job will have a tough task on his hands. We have to get playing again, get playing well and get the country behind us again because it was the press in Ireland that hounded the manager out and in the end the public supported the press and wanted him out.

"But that was never the case with the players. It was just a matter of putting on the shirt, being proud and trying to do our best.

"Unfortunately it didn't work out that way in the last few games but we have to look forward now and wait for the new appointment."

Staunton could claim he had been let down by a squad that comprised many experienced Barclays Premier League campaigners and Hunt did not deny that.

He said: "I can only speak for myself. I had seven or eight qualifying games and I played okay in most.

"The last one I was disappointed with myself and was honest enough to say that after the game.

"I let a few people down and that goes for a few of us on the night. Over the whole I don't think I let him down."

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.
Sponsored Links

The GerK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Razor you wanna pint?...2 minutes later

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2007 at 11:55am
Paul Jewell supposedly ruled out also.

The job is Houllier's
stiofain View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2007 at 12:29pm
Shame to see Coppell ruled out, i think hes a very underrated manager. I wouldnt be keen on Paul Jewell at all to be honest.
"you can keep your Costa Brava, im telling ya mate id rather have a day down Margate with all me family"
L.Y.A. View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2007 at 12:56pm
Where has the Houiller talk come from? Has he said anywhere he is interested?
Honey Monster View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Semi-Pro

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2007 at 1:10pm
where did hear that jewel ruled himself out ger? he'd be my number one choice at the mo
The GerK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2007 at 3:15pm
I have my sources
Houllier defo interested and Jewell a no no
Cookie Monster View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2007 at 3:19pm
I hope you're right GerK, because I'm seriously worried after hearing that Souness turned down the Bolton Job....has he been approached by our lot instead? Not like he has offers piling up on the doorstep....
I used to be a schizophrenic.......and so was I
Siralex View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Poor Man's Duncan Castles

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2007 at 3:22pm
Souness didn't turn down Bolton job Cookie. There was an approach for Megson turned down, then they tried to speak to Steve Bruce but were turned down - they went back to Megson and finally got permission to talk to him. They were the only two approached by Phil Gartside. Houllier is comin....................
The GerK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2007 at 3:28pm
Souness will throw is hat in the ring, fairley soon.
Watch this space...
ernesto guevara View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2007 at 3:30pm
Im really warming now to the idea of houllier,i hope your sources r right ger k, hes defo the style of manager we need.
If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.
Honey Monster View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Semi-Pro

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2007 at 6:08pm
i'm a pool fan and therefore im a bit sceptical of houllier....however no one can argue with the job he did at Lyon - he turned an average side into a team who became a real european force - i really thought they were gonna win it with him at one stage. Also, just look how poor they are this season without hm....
......maybe it wont be long before we're all sing: Gerard Gerard Gerard OOO-LEE-AY.....i'd say you cant wait count Wink
The Count View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2007 at 3:01am
as long as theres no 'you'll never walk alone"! Cant argue with the facts lads, hes been there and done it, but has he been the same since he came back from his illness?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic