Forum Home Forum Home : League Of Ireland : Premier and First Division
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Convincing people to go to games

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 151617
Author
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Sheldon Cooper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Landon Donovan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2014 at 1:04am
Originally posted by Madferret Madferret wrote:

I was merely pointing out his hypocrisy at pulling out every flimsy excuse in the book for not going to Tolka Park whilst at the same time being a self-styled 15 year Shelbourne Superfan. 

Again you use the word "Excuse" and where did I declare myself a "Superfan". You're like a fooking 12 year old. Even your signature is dedicated to me. Grow up you stereotype.
Sponsored Links

Madferret View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Madferret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2014 at 1:09am
Originally posted by Landon Donovan Landon Donovan wrote:

1. I dont need an excuse not to go to a game. I am not obliged to attend football matches. Get that into your head before posting in a thread named "Convincing people to go to games".

2. I have probably been to more LOI games that you. Ive been to hundreds of games over 15 years or so. 

3. I did not propose those rules you pleb. Stop being a stereotype. Read the post. They were random examples You STEREOTYPE!!!

4. AGAIN. I am not obliged to attend anything. I dont even need an excuse. 

5. I prefer to spend 15 quid at horse racing because it is a better night out than a football match that costs the same. What is difficult about that to understand.

6. Draws are sh*t. They are not worth attending. I watch sport for winners and losers. Not drawing.

Aaah no you are our Shelbourne Superfan. We love you Landon Heart 

Edited by Madferret - 30 Apr 2014 at 1:10am
Landon Donovan View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Sheldon Cooper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Landon Donovan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2014 at 1:12am
Yes and I have elaborated in detail how It holds little interest to me anymore and I cant be arsed going anymore. So the "Superfan" tag is clearly gone. Why are you such a stereotype?

Edited by Landon Donovan - 30 Apr 2014 at 1:13am
Doyler1993 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Doyler1993 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2014 at 1:25am
I think to bring back decent crowds the next generation must be the main target for the clubs and they must think long term and will hopefully see the benefits in the next 5 to 10 years. I think the key figures of clubs should go around to local schools and clubs and provide free tickets to the kids to try and get them attracted to the loi and hopefully they will continue their support as they get older and then hopefully you will gain a bigger and stronger supporter base. 
I also like the idea of a playoff system as this will provide a big match atmosphere which will hopefully attract the casual sports fans who will attend the matches as it would be a big event.
Also the idea of one league between the north and south with sub sections for relegation and promotion would be the ideal solution as it will create one strong league with a decent standard and potentially good rivalry. It will also reduce travel costs for other clubs in the second league as they would only play clubs form their own region. By doing this it would also encourage other teams to enter the league as costs wouldnt be as high. 
IT’S NO USE BOILING YOUR CABBAGE TWICE
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Doyler1993 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2014 at 1:30am

Would the same one or two people who keep repeating the "I won't be told by LOI supporters who I can and can't support" please desist from this red-herring outrage. I amongst others have said repeatedly and will re-quote from an earlier post;

"No one is under any compulsion to attend a LOI match or support any LOI side and nor should they be"

So let's leave the strawman angst at the door. I don't believe the thread was set up to pit LOI supporters against non-LOI supporters. It should be a discussion thread for ALL football supporters to discuss practical ideas which might help convince lapsed or potentially new fans to attend matches in Ireland.  
Even though Landon's earlier ideas about introducing American football style rules & stoppages to LOI were off-the-wall, I wouldn't be critical of anyone for throwing out ideas, however wacky they might appear. I was merely pointing out his hypocrisy at pulling out every flimsy excuse in the book for not going to Tolka Park whilst at the same time being a self-styled 15 year Shelbourne Superfan. 

Without thinking too deeply, here's just a few top of the head suggestions to help increase/consolidate attendances;
  • Prominent Team Players (Fahey, McPhail, Healy etc) & Mascots & Officials go to Local Primary & Secondary Schools just before the School Holidays in June and provide FREE* Match tickets to schoolchildren for the next two-four home matches (* Free when accompanied by a paying adult).
  • Personally I'm not much of a rugby fan, but there is some crossover of interest. So Can we offer double-headers to people where practical? Could a Munster Pro 12/European game be fixed to occur directly after a Limerick home game against Sligo Rovers, both at home in Thomond Park with reduced entry price and/or discounted food/drink for early entrants? What about doing the same with Leinster & Shamrock Rovers at Tallaght? Or Galway FC & Connacht at Terryland/Eamonn Deacy Park?
  • We need to facilitate AWAY support also as much as possible.  How about clubs offering a reduction of between 33%-50% on entry for Long Distance AWAY fans? Some people might say that's barely the price of a pint and insufficient to affect away attendances, but it's a gesture, a reward by clubs that says THANK YOU to away fans for taking the time & effort. 
  • Or how about a Unified LOI Card Coupon system. You get Points (Tesco Style) for every game attendance. Away games carry greater points. All Sponsors collectively of clubs will then honour say 10%- 15% discount on purchases in their stores/services Nationwide.
  • Club officials agreeing amongst themselves that next time they meet Broadcasters that they insist we will not accept ridiculous kick-off times for live TV games (such as 5pm on a Sunday evening in the opening game when Rovers played Derry or 3pm of a Saturday when Pats played Limerick).  We need TV coverage but the current arrangements are reducing both the TV audience and the actual attendance figures. 

I think its a good idea but dont know if its practical as the pitch would be in bits after one match and probably wouldn't be suitable for another match to be played on it straight after (especially after a rugby game). Also the rugby seem to be doing very well so dont know if they would be interested in potentially turning their customers away to the loi and losing them. 
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2014 at 6:34am
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

Originally posted by The Q Man The Q Man wrote:

These mongs don't go to any live games. They might go to the UK once in a blue moon but over all they don't know what it is like to be a football supporter. However, they might dress up as a Leprechaun and go to Lansdowne Road.

Just the attitude we need to win people over to the LOI

He's spot on though, regardless of whatever attitude you perceive him to have. Every boozer is full of these people every week. Die hard Liverpool/Celtic/Man U and in recent years Man City/Chelsea have entered the equation more prominently(no offence if you're team wasn't mentioned in this small list). Now there were always a one or two of these but amazingly once a few trophies appeared in the cabinet at Stamford Bridge and Eastlands, there are loads of fans of these. 

Again I will repeat that I do not care who supports who, I have teams I look out for in other places too and have mates who follow teams elsewhere also, but I just can't fathom how lads who passionately support our national team, travel to games home and away (whether they're members here or not, not picking on anyone in particular) can either shun/turn their back on/ or know nothing at all about our own national leagues. Just about every player born on the island who has represented Ireland started out knocking the ball around an LOI pitch.  
nvidic View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote nvidic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2014 at 7:58am
If you're travelling across the country €5 off a ticket isn't going to make much difference
Madferret View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Madferret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2014 at 8:22am
Originally posted by nvidic nvidic wrote:

If you're travelling across the country €5 off a ticket isn't going to make much difference

Financially you're right Nvidic, it won't make a huge difference to a supporters pocket, perhaps a €75 or so saving over the course of a season.
But it's the gesture as I mentioned previously that counts. It says; THANK YOU for taking the time & effort to travel from Cork to Derry/Sligo or vice-versa for example.
Because we need to think about consolidating existing supporters, in addition to the hard graft job of convincing lapsed/new supporters.
seanyshuffler View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
PM snitch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote seanyshuffler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2014 at 8:32am
Always get a good laugh out of this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xN1WN0YMWZU
nvidic View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote nvidic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2014 at 8:39am
I'd rather my money stayed with the clubs to be honest, that's me though
Madferret View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Madferret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2014 at 8:46am
Originally posted by Doyler1993 Doyler1993 wrote:

Would the same one or two people who keep repeating the "I won't be told by LOI supporters who I can and can't support" please desist from this red-herring outrage. I amongst others have said repeatedly and will re-quote from an earlier post;

"No one is under any compulsion to attend a LOI match or support any LOI side and nor should they be"

So let's leave the strawman angst at the door. I don't believe the thread was set up to pit LOI supporters against non-LOI supporters. It should be a discussion thread for ALL football supporters to discuss practical ideas which might help convince lapsed or potentially new fans to attend matches in Ireland.  
Even though Landon's earlier ideas about introducing American football style rules & stoppages to LOI were off-the-wall, I wouldn't be critical of anyone for throwing out ideas, however wacky they might appear. I was merely pointing out his hypocrisy at pulling out every flimsy excuse in the book for not going to Tolka Park whilst at the same time being a self-styled 15 year Shelbourne Superfan. 

Without thinking too deeply, here's just a few top of the head suggestions to help increase/consolidate attendances;
  • Prominent Team Players (Fahey, McPhail, Healy etc) & Mascots & Officials go to Local Primary & Secondary Schools just before the School Holidays in June and provide FREE* Match tickets to schoolchildren for the next two-four home matches (* Free when accompanied by a paying adult).
  • Personally I'm not much of a rugby fan, but there is some crossover of interest. So Can we offer double-headers to people where practical? Could a Munster Pro 12/European game be fixed to occur directly after a Limerick home game against Sligo Rovers, both at home in Thomond Park with reduced entry price and/or discounted food/drink for early entrants? What about doing the same with Leinster & Shamrock Rovers at Tallaght? Or Galway FC & Connacht at Terryland/Eamonn Deacy Park?
  • We need to facilitate AWAY support also as much as possible.  How about clubs offering a reduction of between 33%-50% on entry for Long Distance AWAY fans? Some people might say that's barely the price of a pint and insufficient to affect away attendances, but it's a gesture, a reward by clubs that says THANK YOU to away fans for taking the time & effort. 
  • Or how about a Unified LOI Card Coupon system. You get Points (Tesco Style) for every game attendance. Away games carry greater points. All Sponsors collectively of clubs will then honour say 10%- 15% discount on purchases in their stores/services Nationwide.
  • Club officials agreeing amongst themselves that next time they meet Broadcasters that they insist we will not accept ridiculous kick-off times for live TV games (such as 5pm on a Sunday evening in the opening game when Rovers played Derry or 3pm of a Saturday when Pats played Limerick).  We need TV coverage but the current arrangements are reducing both the TV audience and the actual attendance figures. 

I think its a good idea but dont know if its practical as the pitch would be in bits after one match and probably wouldn't be suitable for another match to be played on it straight after (especially after a rugby game). Also the rugby seem to be doing very well so dont know if they would be interested in potentially turning their customers away to the loi and losing them. 

Apologies Doyler if my post was a little unclear on that particular suggestion, (although I'm fairly sure I boldened "Directly after" in my original post). 
So just to clarify; I was suggesting that a Provincial side Rugby Match (Pro 12/Heinekén Cup) be held DIRECTLY AFTER a LOI game at the same venue. Obviously, this could only be implemented at a limited number of venues which have the practical capabilities of accomodating both rugby & football - Thomond & Tallaght come to mind.  Terryland/Eamonn Deacy Park with some pitch modifications might be able to hold Connacht/Galway FC games also. 
It wouldn't work however at grounds such as Richmond Park though, Brian O'Driscoll would find it hard to go over for a try in the shed.

It also wouldn't be all season long, for obvious reasons, as both sports playing seasons only coincide during March-May and briefly again in Autumn. So it would be a two or three times a year idea. But with the attraction of 3-4 hours of live mixed sport in a decent stadium (Thomond/Tallaght) with a discount for early entrants and some extras for the kids (face-painting, music, etc) it might just get a few extra bodies in the door and thats what it's all about- Getting them in the door is the hard part. 
Many people will go to a few LOI games and never come back. Others will go a few games and be hooked for life. And then of course you will have the human ham sandwich that is London Donovan who will go to "hundreds of games more than you for 15 years" before finally realising that draws in football are abhorrent and not for him Wacko
saintjoey View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saintjoey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2014 at 9:23am
Only read the last few posts of this thread, f**king gas
starryplough View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote starryplough Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2014 at 11:36am
Originally posted by roverstillidie roverstillidie wrote:

Originally posted by Landon Donovan Landon Donovan wrote:

It is like drinking a can of coke, not liking it and being told by Coke that I am wrong, I did like it. 

No, its like being told by Coke 'sorry you don't like our product, but billions do and we aren't changing it to seaweed flavour just for you'.

POTY material, Landon will be seething

ClapLOL
Some Clubs Are Bigger Than Others
starryplough View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote starryplough Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2014 at 11:40am
Originally posted by nvidic nvidic wrote:

It would never work, most clubs only think on a short term basis. They aren't going to give reductions to away fans when the large travelling crowds such as Rovers come to town, in the hope they will make it up with extra away support.
Some Clubs Are Bigger Than Others
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doyler1993 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2014 at 1:19pm
Originally posted by seanyshuffler seanyshuffler wrote:

LOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOL
PanteirA View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PanteirA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2014 at 8:29pm
Originally posted by seanyshuffler seanyshuffler wrote:

Brilliant
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 151617
  Share Topic