You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : League Of Ireland : Premier and First Division
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Convincing people to go to games

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 14151617>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2014 at 3:58pm
Originally posted by roverstillidie roverstillidie wrote:

Originally posted by Landon Donovan Landon Donovan wrote:

But people do not like the product of the LOI. Only a small band who want people to like it but refuse to change. 
More people like the LoI than hurling and rugby. It is the most popular domestic league on the island. In an Irish context it is still well supported. Per head of population its ok-ish.

Does that mean its well enough supported? No, not even close. But what are we realistically going to achieve? The agri sports are set up for a few big games a year. Rugby has 3 teams who can get decent crowds, but not a sinner below that level. We will see what a few lean years do to them.

You seem to think that changing the rules to something like Rollerball will see 25,000 at each ground. The Irish sports culture is appaling and changing to try and attract barstoolers will fail and alienate the real fans.
Jaysus, the agreeing with RTID continues..........spot on/nail on the head/bazinga. We are not a nation that can be arsed bar the minority, to go week in week out to sport. A few seasons ago when Mons reached the League Cup Final, local clubs organised buses and there was a decent interest in the event. I use the word event because that is what this game was to them, an event. They had little or no interest in Mons any other time as can be seenby what happened us eventually. Quite simply event junkies, the same type that sit in the pub to watch EPL, only turn up to GAA county games at final time etc.  
Sponsored Links

roverstillidie View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Bohs number 1 fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roverstillidie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2014 at 4:03pm
And the GAA structured themselves to capture this, as to a lesser extent have the egg chasers.

Landon may have a point that playoffs might work on that level to be fair.

Edited by roverstillidie - 29 Apr 2014 at 4:03pm
Shamrock View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamrock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2014 at 5:42pm
My Final Point's on this issue.

Firstly, let it be clear here, I am not for one moment knocking the League Of Ireland standard and never have.

Secondly, I find it...I dunno patronising or something like that  people are telling me I should be going to a game/s of a team/s I don't support. My question to you guys is would any of you lads have fancied heading to London with me yesterday to see Arsenal? 

I don't agree with jackthelad  a lot of the times 'cos he would support a rival team and the rivalry banter etc but I really don't see why he or I should have to justify who we support. I actually dunno why I bothered explaining why I support Arsenal. Confused

Anyway, someone who takes an interest in the league (which I do with other league's), I think the best way forward is an All-Ireland Super League. It can and I think will happen in the future. That is certain.

At the minute I think the best solution for the short term that is realistic is one senior league with maybe something like points deduction the following season to the teams near the bottom to make it competitive as there couldn't be relegation. 

I normally don't like suspension going in to another season but I think something like that would be interesting, mad as it sounds Wacko as you would need to have something other than pride to play for. You could also have Play-Offs for Europrean places.

What I can't understand though is that some clubs officials have short memories. They were in bother before and were helped but when clubs in the 1st Division want one division which would help their survival no olive branch is extended. Thre would be a good geographic spread of teams and more of a chance to get casual fans through the turnstiles.

Things don't appear to me as bad some people are making out. But one thing is for sure, when you put in work in a local community and think outside the box, it will pay off and the goodwill be extended back.

Cork City and Shamrock Rovers are good examples. But for some clubs like I said who were through the mire not the help out one's now Thumbs Down The only reason I mention that is that there does seem to be solidarity between the League Of Ireland fans. 
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2014 at 6:12pm

It is like drinking a can of coke, not liking it and being told by Coke that I am wrong, I did like it. 

No, its like being told by Coke 'sorry you don't like our product, but billions do and we aren't changing it to seaweed flavour just for you'.

LOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOL

I fcuking collapsed with laughter at that one. One ofthe fumnniest things I've ever read on here.I'm crying with laughter at that one Star

RTID ClapClapLOLLOL
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
The U View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The U Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2014 at 6:58pm

It is like drinking a can of coke, not liking it and being told by Coke that I am wrong, I did like it. 

No, its like being told by Coke 'sorry you don't like our product, but billions do and we aren't changing it to seaweed flavour just for you'.

LOL
Barry View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2014 at 8:11pm
These mongs don't go to any live games. They might go to the UK once in a blue moon but over all they don't know what it is like to be a football supporter. However, they might dress up as a Leprechaun and go to Lansdowne Road.
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2014 at 8:16pm
Originally posted by The Q Man The Q Man wrote:

These mongs don't go to any live games. They might go to the UK once in a blue moon but over all they don't know what it is like to be a football supporter. However, they might dress up as a Leprechaun and go to Lansdowne Road.

Just the attitude we need to win people over to the LOI

seanyshuffler View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
PM snitch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seanyshuffler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2014 at 10:05pm
It's all in the marketing. Cork Coty seemed to have upped the marketing around their games this season and from what I've seen/heard, crowds are booming.
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2014 at 10:17pm
Originally posted by seanyshuffler seanyshuffler wrote:

It's all in the marketing. Cork Coty seemed to have upped the marketing around their games this season and from what I've seen/heard, crowds are booming.

My boss in work who has zero interest in sport was giving off about Galway United (before they went bust) not getting into the marketing side of things before in order to entice people to the games. He's from Galway and when I told him I was heading to my first Galway FC game a couple of months ago, he was delighted that I was supporting a local thing but he argued the point about using social media to the maximum (which the Galway FC lads are doing brilliantly it has to be said) . I brought one of my mates who couldn't give a bollix about sport but loved it and will come again.

That's the way you win hearts and minds in supporting our national league. It has to be done by persuasion not the 'you're a barstooler/EPL consumer/event junkie' accusatory mindset ingrained on one or two LOI supporters on here.

Edited by irishmufc - 29 Apr 2014 at 10:19pm
Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2014 at 10:36pm
TBH travelling to Waterford or Wexford an hour down the road to watch a level of football a small bit higher than top of the Carlow Premier doesn't appeal to me.
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
corkery View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corkery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2014 at 10:41pm
Originally posted by Green Devil Green Devil wrote:

TBH travelling to Waterford or Wexford an hour down the road to watch a level of football a small bit higher than top of the Carlow Premier doesn't appeal to me.
It would be the same with me. I only follow Cork because I live in Cork. If I moved to Dublin, I'd have no interest in the teams there. 
'The younger generation as in 17 -25 are certainly gayer than their predecessors. I think they may cause the extinction of the human race with their activities.'- Baldrick
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2014 at 10:48pm
Originally posted by corkery corkery wrote:

It would be the same with me. I only follow Cork because I live in Cork. If I moved to Dublin, I'd have no interest in the teams there. 

If there was a LOI club on my doorstep or within 20mins for argument sake, i'd probably go watch them regularly, but with the standard of LOI clubs near Carlow, i'd rather just attend local junior matches tbh than drive an hour for the quality on show.

It pisses me off that some people, can't see the thrill and appeal of going over to England to watch football games.

"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

drog addict View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Castleknocker

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drog addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2014 at 10:51pm

TBH travelling to Sunderland an hour or so across the sea to watch a level of football a small bit higher than top of the Carlow Premier appeals to me.

Fixed that for ya buddy
Chips don't bounce
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2014 at 10:52pm
Originally posted by drog addict drog addict wrote:

TBH travelling to Sunderland an hour or so across the sea to watch a level of football a small bit higher than top of the Carlow Premier appeals to me.

Fixed that for ya buddy

You bast**d LOL

I'll give you that one, we're not far off CryLOL

nvidic View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nvidic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2014 at 11:35pm
GD, did you not used to play loi??

Also youve been saying to me for weeks you'd join us up here for a game ya bolloxLOL
Madferret View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Madferret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2014 at 11:45pm

100% madferret, I agree everything you say but hadn't the energy myself to set it out. LD's posts are moronic, fair play to you for taking the time to highlight the rubbish this lad has been spouting. I've never heard the like of it and I'm sure I read on another thread once that he won't fly as he objects to getting searched at an airport. Top class oddball and a completely discreditted poster

LOLLOLLOL Jaysus, never saw that post of his, sounds like one of these free-for-all Libertarian freaks. We should introduce him to some of the victims families of 9/11 and see what they think of No Security checks.  Can imagine that working out just fine ......"Welcome aboard todays flight Ladies and Gentlemen...We will be flying at 31,000 feet and would appreciate if passengers could place their Duty Free Vodka & Rocket launchers in the overhead bins provided. Please do not leave any excess ammunition obstructing the aisles. Finally, if there are any terrorists or vegetarians on board today could they please make themselves known to the cabin crew."

Edited by Madferret - 29 Apr 2014 at 11:45pm
Shamrock View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamrock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2014 at 12:04am
Originally posted by The Q Man The Q Man wrote:

Edited by Shamrock - 30 Apr 2014 at 12:17am
Madferret View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Madferret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2014 at 12:48am
Would the same one or two people who keep repeating the "I won't be told by LOI supporters who I can and can't support" please desist from this red-herring outrage. I amongst others have said repeatedly and will re-quote from an earlier post;

"No one is under any compulsion to attend a LOI match or support any LOI side and nor should they be"

So let's leave the strawman angst at the door. I don't believe the thread was set up to pit LOI supporters against non-LOI supporters. It should be a discussion thread for ALL football supporters to discuss practical ideas which might help convince lapsed or potentially new fans to attend matches in Ireland.  
Even though Landon's earlier ideas about introducing American football style rules & stoppages to LOI were off-the-wall, I wouldn't be critical of anyone for throwing out ideas, however wacky they might appear. I was merely pointing out his hypocrisy at pulling out every flimsy excuse in the book for not going to Tolka Park whilst at the same time being a self-styled 15 year Shelbourne Superfan. 

Without thinking too deeply, here's just a few top of the head suggestions to help increase/consolidate attendances;
  • Prominent Team Players (Fahey, McPhail, Healy etc) & Mascots & Officials go to Local Primary & Secondary Schools just before the School Holidays in June and provide FREE* Match tickets to schoolchildren for the next two-four home matches (* Free when accompanied by a paying adult).
  • Personally I'm not much of a rugby fan, but there is some crossover of interest. So Can we offer double-headers to people where practical? Could a Munster Pro 12/European game be fixed to occur directly after a Limerick home game against Sligo Rovers, both at home in Thomond Park with reduced entry price and/or discounted food/drink for early entrants? What about doing the same with Leinster & Shamrock Rovers at Tallaght? Or Galway FC & Connacht at Terryland/Eamonn Deacy Park?
  • We need to facilitate AWAY support also as much as possible.  How about clubs offering a reduction of between 33%-50% on entry for Long Distance AWAY fans? Some people might say that's barely the price of a pint and insufficient to affect away attendances, but it's a gesture, a reward by clubs that says THANK YOU to away fans for taking the time & effort. 
  • Or how about a Unified LOI Card Coupon system. You get Points (Tesco Style) for every game attendance. Away games carry greater points. All Sponsors collectively of clubs will then honour say 10%- 15% discount on purchases in their stores/services Nationwide.
  • Club officials agreeing amongst themselves that next time they meet Broadcasters that they insist we will not accept ridiculous kick-off times for live TV games (such as 5pm on a Sunday evening in the opening game when Rovers played Derry or 3pm of a Saturday when Pats played Limerick).  We need TV coverage but the current arrangements are reducing both the TV audience and the actual attendance figures. 

Edited by Madferret - 30 Apr 2014 at 12:52am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 14151617>
  Share Topic