You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : League Of Ireland : Premier and First Division
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Conroy Report

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
Author
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2017 at 11:47am
Originally posted by AnCearrbhach AnCearrbhach wrote:

Originally posted by Borussia Borussia wrote:

Been discussed before but surely having one division is the way forward ? 

why? Dilutes quality across the board and would probably leave at leave 14 teams with nothing to play for for large portions of the season.

Well, I think it would certainly be beneficial for the likes of Waterford, possibly Athlone etc to have the big teams come to town during the season : Generates more interest etc. Also, if you look at the teams currently down there then having a one division set up would bring back a number of derby games that you wouldn't have had the last season or two. Again, a way of generating interest which would hopefully benefit the league as a whole. 

In terms of diluting quality, any league is going to have "Haves" and "Have not's" in terms of quality, talent pool, resources etc - But would the top teams in the First Division last season have been that much worse than the bottom teams in the prem ? 
I do see a slight issue with there being no relegation and in an ideal scenario you might have some sort of play-off at junior level for the opportunity to come up but being realistic there are unlikely to be many teams in a position to come up so I get that.

Sponsored Links

roverstillidie View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Bohs number 1 fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roverstillidie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2017 at 11:55am

Absolutely not for a number of reasons
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Bohs number 1 fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roverstillidie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2017 at 11:56am

why? Dilutes quality across the board and would probably leave at leave 14 teams with nothing to play for for large portions of the season.

Well, I think it would certainly be beneficial for the likes of Waterford, possibly Athlone etc to have the big teams come to town during the season : Generates more interest etc. Also, if you look at the teams currently down there then having a one division set up would bring back a number of derby games that you wouldn't have had the last season or two. Again, a way of generating interest which would hopefully benefit the league as a whole. 

In terms of diluting quality, any league is going to have "Haves" and "Have not's" in terms of quality, talent pool, resources etc - But would the top teams in the First Division last season have been that much worse than the bottom teams in the prem ? 
I do see a slight issue with there being no relegation and in an ideal scenario you might have some sort of play-off at junior level for the opportunity to come up but being realistic there are unlikely to be many teams in a position to come up so I get that.

Do you structure a league just to help the bottom clubs?

AnCearrbhach View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnCearrbhach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2017 at 11:58am

Athlone and Waterford need to get there own house in order and can gain promotion if they start heading in the right direction. The league can't cater to basket cases like these. Galway, Drogheda, City, Derry, Rovers and Dundalk have all been in the first recently., re-built and came back stronger. Raising Athlones home attendance from 200 to 400 should not be a priority. 2 divisions of 10 gives 9 positions of consequence for 20 teams as opposed to 3 in a single division. The Irish public will not show up to see Longford and Galway battle it out for 11th place there has to be something on the line. 
Aithníonn ciaróg ciaróg eile.
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2017 at 12:01pm

Absolutely not, we barely have ten teams to play at Premier level.
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2017 at 12:01pm
Originally posted by roverstillidie roverstillidie wrote:

On the flip side, do you structure it just to help the top clubs ?

Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2017 at 12:12pm
My point is really in an ideal scenario you would have 20 financially stable. competitive clubs in the Country - A pipe dream maybe, but still. Now, will a ten team Premier Division above a first division actually produce that ? I doubt that. I do understand the sentiment of wanting the likes of Athlone etc to get their house in order but at the same time how easy of a sell is it for the likes of Athlone to generate interest in games against the likes of Cabo, Cobh etc (No offence to either club). 

Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnCearrbhach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2017 at 12:25pm

My point is really in an ideal scenario you would have 20 financially stable. competitive clubs in the Country - A pipe dream maybe, but still. Now, will a ten team Premier Division above a first division actually produce that ? I doubt that. I do understand the sentiment of wanting the likes of Athlone etc to get their house in order but at the same time how easy of a sell is it for the likes of Athlone to generate interest in games against the likes of Cabo, Cobh etc (No offence to either club). 

Athlone would generate there own interest if they were competitive in the first as they have shown previously. They will not generate interest playing in a league where they will never be competing for the few positions which matter.

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2017 at 12:30pm

They aren't good enough to play against the top clubs in the country regularly and have done nothing to deserve it. You want them to be rewarded for financial mismanagement with bigger crowds? If they can get their house in order they may earn the right to play against them and even be competitive.
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2017 at 1:46pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

They aren't good enough to play against the top clubs in the country regularly and have done nothing to deserve it. You want them to be rewarded for financial mismanagement with bigger crowds? If they can get their house in order they may earn the right to play against them and even be competitive.

Surely this is being short sighted though - A stronger league all round helps all teams, not just the small ones. 
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnCearrbhach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2017 at 2:14pm

Surely this is being short sighted though - A stronger league all round helps all teams, not just the small ones. 

How would the league be stronger? The better players would be more spread out, 75% of the teams would have nothing to play for, teams who now are going comparatively well would have a litany of undesirable fixtures, no punishment for poor performances, financial mis-management would abound to try and achieve relevance, nowhere to get your feet in senior football like Cabo have done and possibly not compliant with UEFA law(always gets said but never seen the rule). 

The 2 division 10 team structure gives everyone something to play for bar maybe a couple at the bottom of the first (this could be improved further by the return of the A championship, whose demise we also have short sighted clubs to thank for) 
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2017 at 2:18pm

I would see it as very much the opposite and would weaken the league hugely.
We have, at most, 8-10 teams capable of playing in the top division, how will they be improved by playing teams who shouldn't be in the same league as them? One of the biggest problems people have, rightly or wrongly, is the number of meaningless games there are in the first division, how many meaningless games would there be in a 20 team league which will split into three anyway? What would the point be for the teams currently battling for promotion and relegation? 
If teams develop, run themselves right on and off the pitch we might be able to expand the top flight. 
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2017 at 2:28pm
All valid points raised - I'm not sure there is one magic solution that is going to work for all. 
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2017 at 2:35pm
The problems of the league won't be be solved by the make up of the divisions, although in football you should have to work your way to the top, it is the only way to have any hope of sustainability. What is most worrying here is how the clubs are seemingly  undecided over what they want.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Bohs number 1 fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roverstillidie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2017 at 3:42pm

Not 'just' no. But it makes more sense to do what is in their interests
Twoinarow View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Twoinarow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2017 at 3:57pm

I understand what you are saying RTID but when ourselves and yourselves were battling it out in the 1st division a few years ago (us for many more than a few years) Would you think the same that the top Prem Division sides interests should be first?

Edited by Twoinarow - 06 Jan 2017 at 3:57pm
2 in a row and we won it in Tallaght
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Bohs number 1 fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roverstillidie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2017 at 11:49am
Originally posted by Twoinarow Twoinarow wrote:

I understand what you are saying RTID but when ourselves and yourselves were battling it out in the 1st division a few years ago (us for many more than a few years) Would you think the same that the top Prem Division sides interests should be first?

Absolutely. We were in the first for a reason. We used that time to rebuild and move forward. I would not have supported any idea to drag the rest down tho level
Bitored View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitored Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2017 at 8:05pm
http://www.newstalk.com/podcasts/Off_The_Ball/Newstalks_Airtricity_League_Podcast/179701/2017_Preview_Week_One

Fran Gavin talking about the changes to the league (he starts talking about a minute or 2 into it). He said a few bizarre things.
He has no idea how "the clubs" came to the decision to change to a 10 team league.
The 2018 league format has not been finalised.

I won the Player of the Century award thanks to the people.Pele was second.He also came second behind Aryton Senna as Brazil's greatest sportsman.The award FIFA gave Pele isn't worth sh*t - Maradona
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
  Share Topic