You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : League Of Ireland : Premier and First Division
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Conroy Report

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitored Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2016 at 2:54pm
Originally posted by GoneToShowgies GoneToShowgies wrote:

Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Originally posted by gufct gufct wrote:

Instead of actually looking at real change where the league would be marketed and financed properly the Fai decide to change the deckchairs on the titanic. 10 team premier didn't work before Won't work now. 

We have teams already spending crazy money to ensure survival or of whom Bray has probably the smallest support in the league . The last 2 reports that the fai have published have done nothing bar saying that JD and the fai are brilliant in the way they administer the league and it's all the clubs and supporters fault that the league is struggling.

Another person saying that without explaining why, saying it doesn't make it so. It is very much moving the deckchairs on Titanic, but there is far more logic to having a ten team league.

Maybe the question should be: It if was working the first time, why did they change back? Probably cause because it didn't work. In fairness PM it's pretty obvious I would have thought. Off the top of my head ... teams spending more to stay in top division, more games against the same teams becomes boring, smaller geographical spread can happen.

As I said before - it's change for change sake. It's the FAI looking like they are mixing it up and changing things around. But in reality this option costs them nothing to implement and that's why it gets the nod imo. They need to look forward and be progressive, not look back and repeat a ditched model.
It was because the clubs voted it out the same way they voted out the A Championship. A vote to have more teams in the PD was always going to be more popular among clubs than one to have fewer. Turkeys for Xmas and all that.
The FD also voted against regionalising at a time where there was 12 clubs playing in it. A decision which could potentially have saved 2 or 3 of the clubs that subsequently went to the wall.
As much as the FAI make self serving decisions, the clubs will do likewise if things are left in their hands.

The PD is clearly 2 tiered as it is i.e the clubs that are in Europe have considerably more financial muscle compared to the ones that aren't. The gap will only increase.
Clubs are subsequently spending heavily in the pursuit of European qualification, just look at Limerick, Bray, Waterford etc.

I don't buy that more games against the same teams is boring. With all due respect, Longford and Wexford had pathetic attendances this year. I`d be inclined to let Wexford slide as they are building their club but Longford have been a league member for over 30 years and they cant get 200 of their own fans in the gate even against the best teams in the country. Their FD crowds wont be dramatically different.

I've been a long time advocate of getting rid of the league cup and potentially giving the European qualified sides byes into the latter rounds of the FAI cup. That would make 5 times the absolute maximum sides could meet in one season, the same as they can now.
A 10 team league with 2 automatic relegated and 1 play off spot (which would leave 3 or 4 potential promotion places in the FD) could be very exciting.

I won the Player of the Century award thanks to the people.Pele was second.He also came second behind Aryton Senna as Brazil's greatest sportsman.The award FIFA gave Pele isn't worth sh*t - Maradona
Sponsored Links

Missy View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Missy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2016 at 3:01pm
ruairi View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ruairi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2016 at 3:02pm
Haven't posted on here in forever but just heard the news that they plan to relegate 1/4 of the premier league next season. Seems daft to me.
Been living in the states for a while and taking in a little bit of MLS. Here's the bones of an idea for the LoI. Feel free to ignore.

One league with 16 or 18 teams.
Push for a combination of the FAI and IFA cups. 
Scrap the League Cup and regional cups that these teams play in.
Offer a token trophy for the highest league finisher but decide the champion with a four way play off.
Seek UEFA permission for a league representative side to partake in European competition. 1 CL side and 1 EL side. The squads would be made up of five players from each of the top four clubs. This would mean that each top four side has 10 players in European action. Players would wear a league jersey with a league crest but also their club crest (on the sleeve or something). Each of these players would be full time professionals with central FAI contracts. The rest of the league would be part time. The FAI cup EL place would still go to a club side. The selection of the players for the European team could be a big media opportunity (people go nuts for drafts here). Other smaller changes could happen, like centralized kit deals tied with the national team. This could do a lot for cross league branding. 

I realize it represents huge change but changing the league from 10 to 12 and back to 10 hoping for a different outcome is just daft.

corkery View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corkery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2016 at 6:58pm
Ten teams isn't good. Lack of variety.
'The younger generation as in 17 -25 are certainly gayer than their predecessors. I think they may cause the extinction of the human race with their activities.'- Baldrick
Drumcondra 69er View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2016 at 7:29pm
Originally posted by corkery corkery wrote:

Totally agree. The fact it's been tried before and failed speaks volumes. Relegating a quarter of the league is farcical. If they were insisting on bringing it to ten then it should have been done over two seasons.
Blog: A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: A False First XI
Bitored View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitored Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2016 at 7:30pm
Originally posted by Drumcondra 69er Drumcondra 69er wrote:

Totally agree. The fact it's been tried before and failed speaks volumes. Relegating a quarter of the league is farcical. If they were insisting on bringing it to ten then it should have been done over two seasons.
How would you do that? Go to 11 and then 10?

As with everything in the league the FAI did nothing as they couldn't care less.

The PCA went to them with the 10 team idea. The FAI said grand lads do whatever you want, we`ll put a spin on it that makes it look like its our revolutionary idea.

"Following a proposal from the Premier Clubs Alliance (PCA), the Board of the Football Association of Ireland ratified the change of format for the 2018 campaign."

Edited by Bitored - 22 Dec 2016 at 7:37pm
I won the Player of the Century award thanks to the people.Pele was second.He also came second behind Aryton Senna as Brazil's greatest sportsman.The award FIFA gave Pele isn't worth sh*t - Maradona
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2016 at 7:37pm
The number of teams doesn't matter! Corkery, we have been on busses together, what difference will a change really make? You avoid Longford instead of Ballybofey(or, right now, very much vice versa) problems are deeper. Leave the best teams at the top
smart man View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la
Not so.......

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smart man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2016 at 7:50pm
After spending 7 years in the graveyard of the first division Longford Town managed to get out of it and spent 2 years in the premier division. Now as most people know they are back in the first division. With only one team going up this year and ten teams in the first division next year. Dalymount will surely be redeveloped before the Town set foot in it again. As for Tallaght, The Showgrounds and Oriel all I can say is thanks for the memories. But I will keep the faith. It's my Town my football club. 
alive and kicking
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2016 at 8:16pm
Originally posted by Bitored Bitored wrote:

<br abp="786"><br abp="787">Totally agree. The fact it's been tried before and failed speaks volumes. Relegating a quarter of the league is farcical. If they were insisting on bringing it to ten then it should have been done over two seasons.

<div abp="788">How would you do that? Go to 11 and then 10?<div abp="788"> <div abp="788">As with everything in the league the FAI did nothing as they couldn't care less.<div abp="788"> <div abp="788">The PCA went to them with the 10 team idea. The FAI said grand lads do whatever you want, we`ll put a spin on it that makes it look like its our revolutionary idea.<div abp="788"> <div abp="788">"Following a proposal from the Premier Clubs Alliance (PCA), the Board of the Football Association of Ireland ratified the change of format for the 2018 campaign."<div abp="788">https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2016/1222/840733-league-of-ireland-to-switch-to-ten-team-format/

Yeah, if they had to do it then relegate 2 teams this season, play one season with 11 and relegate 2 again. Relegating a quarter of the league is laughable. Even when the premier league in England went from 22 teams to 20 they didn't cut by 2 teams in a single season.

If it was down to me I'd have one national league with 2 regional leagues underneath at the top of a pyramid system like practically every other country in Europe. Even the IFA have a pyramid in place. Make it so it's worthwhile for clubs like Sherrif in the non league system to aspire to be part of it as opposed to the current situation where it suits them better to stay where they are.
Bitored View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitored Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2016 at 8:47pm

<br abp="786"><br abp="787">Totally agree. The fact it's been tried before and failed speaks volumes. Relegating a quarter of the league is farcical. If they were insisting on bringing it to ten then it should have been done over two seasons.

<div abp="788">How would you do that? Go to 11 and then 10?<div abp="788"> <div abp="788">As with everything in the league the FAI did nothing as they couldn't care less.<div abp="788"> <div abp="788">The PCA went to them with the 10 team idea. The FAI said grand lads do whatever you want, we`ll put a spin on it that makes it look like its our revolutionary idea.<div abp="788"> <div abp="788">"Following a proposal from the Premier Clubs Alliance (PCA), the Board of the Football Association of Ireland ratified the change of format for the 2018 campaign."<div abp="788">https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2016/1222/840733-league-of-ireland-to-switch-to-ten-team-format/

Yeah, if they had to do it then relegate 2 teams this season, play one season with 11 and relegate 2 again. Relegating a quarter of the league is laughable. Even when the premier league in England went from 22 teams to 20 they didn't cut by 2 teams in a single season.

If it was down to me I'd have one national league with 2 regional leagues underneath at the top of a pyramid system like practically every other country in Europe. Even the IFA have a pyramid in place. Make it so it's worthwhile for clubs like Sherrif in the non league system to aspire to be part of it as opposed to the current situation where it suits them better to stay where they are.
That would be worse. You`d have one team with no game every game night. It would have to be an even league. Relegating 3 is undoubtedly the best way to do it.

There are currently 6 Dublin clubs in the league. The quota is filled. Sherrif would also have zero interest in being in the league. Nothing stopping them partnering with a LOI club and contributing that way.

For what its worth my ideal league structure (as its always how these threads go) would be:
10 team PD
2 Regionalised FD
4-5 intermediate sub leagues (Dublin*, Roughly leinster , Connaught with Donegal and a bit of Leinster, Midlands, South)

*Max 6 Dublin clubs. If a new one wants to join they play off with the lowest place Dublin club in the league.

That would make the FD the head of the junior game and mean a team could happily compete there without any need to have aspirations of playing PD football but still contribute heavily to young player development. Leave PD football for teams with excellent grounds who can get 4 figure attendances on a regular basis.

Edited by Bitored - 22 Dec 2016 at 8:57pm
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2016 at 10:37pm

<br abp="786"><div abp="788">How would you do that? Go to 11 and then 10?<div abp="788"> <div abp="788">As with everything in the league the FAI did nothing as they couldn't care less.<div abp="788"> <div abp="788">The PCA went to them with the 10 team idea. The FAI said grand lads do whatever you want, we`ll put a spin on it that makes it look like its our revolutionary idea.<div abp="788"> <div abp="788"><em abp="787">"<strong abp="788">Following a proposal from the Premier Clubs Alliance (PCA), the Board of the Football Association of Ireland ratified the change of format for the 2018 campaign."<div abp="788">https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2016/1222/840733-league-of-ireland-to-switch-to-ten-team-format/<br abp="790"><br abp="791">
<br abp="792"><br abp="793">Yeah, if they had to do it then relegate 2 teams this season, play one season with 11 and relegate 2 again. Relegating a quarter of the league is laughable. Even when the premier league in England went from 22 teams to 20 they didn't cut by 2 teams in a single season. <br abp="794"><br abp="795">If it was down to me I'd have one national league with 2 regional leagues underneath at the top of a pyramid system like practically every other country in Europe. Even the IFA have a pyramid in place. Make it so it's worthwhile for clubs like Sherrif in the non league system to aspire to be part of it as opposed to the current situation where it suits them better to stay where they are.

<div abp="796"><div abp="797">That would be worse. You`d have one team with no game every game night. It would have to be an even league. Relegating 3 is undoubtedly the best way to do it.<div abp="798"> <div abp="799">There are currently 6 Dublin clubs in the league. The quota is filled. Sherrif would also have zero interest in being in the league. Nothing stopping them partnering with a LOI club and contributing that way.<div abp="800"> <div abp="800"> <div abp="801"> For what its worth my ideal league structure (as its always how these threads go) would be:<div abp="801">10 team PD<div abp="801">2 Regionalised FD <div abp="801">4-5 intermediate sub leagues (Dublin*, Roughly leinster , Connaught with Donegal and a bit of Leinster, Midlands, South)<div abp="801"> <div abp="801">*Max 6 Dublin clubs. If a new one wants to join they play off with the lowest place Dublin club in the league.<div abp="801"> <div abp="801">That would make the FD the head of the junior game and mean a team could happily compete there without any need to have aspirations of playing PD football but still contribute heavily to young player development. Leave PD football for teams with excellent grounds who can get 4 figure attendances on a regular basis.

Each team would miss one gameweek in every ten for one season, hardly as big an issue as you suggest. Teams often have blank weeks these days whether it's due to their scheduled opposition being involved in Europe or later rounds of the cups, it's not a big deal.

I was only using Sherrif as an example of a strong non league club, I agree that they have no interest in joining the loi, that was my point. There's plenty of non league clubs out there across the country that are run better than a lot of loi clubs for whom the current set up isn't attractive, I think making it more attractive would be beneficial in the long run. I agree the amount of Dublin clubs would need to be managed somehow.

Playing the same 9 teams 4 times a season plus possible cup games against the same opposition has been tried and doesn't work, it's ludicrous to keep flipping the same failed formats back and forth and to expect a different outcome.   
corkery View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corkery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2016 at 11:35pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

The number of teams doesn't matter! Corkery, we have been on busses together, what difference will a change really make? You avoid Longford instead of Ballybofey(or, right now, very much vice versa) problems are deeper. Leave the best teams at the top

I know what's going to happen. UCD will get promoted and we'll end up playing them, along with Bray and Drogheda four times. We're trying to run a business like.
'The younger generation as in 17 -25 are certainly gayer than their predecessors. I think they may cause the extinction of the human race with their activities.'- Baldrick
Bitored View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitored Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2016 at 11:48pm

Each team would miss one gameweek in every ten for one season, hardly as big an issue as you suggest. Teams often have blank weeks these days whether it's due to their scheduled opposition being involved in Europe or later rounds of the cups, it's not a big deal.

I was only using Sherrif as an example of a strong non league club, I agree that they have no interest in joining the loi, that was my point. There's plenty of non league clubs out there across the country that are run better than a lot of loi clubs for whom the current set up isn't attractive, I think making it more attractive would be beneficial in the long run. I agree the amount of Dublin clubs would need to be managed somehow.

Playing the same 9 teams 4 times a season plus possible cup games against the same opposition has been tried and doesn't work, it's ludicrous to keep flipping the same failed formats back and forth and to expect a different outcome.   

In the fixtures released today Sligo Rovers don`t have home game between the beginning of Septemberand the beginning of October. I`m sure every team in the league has similar barren patches. Most clubs rely heavily on their gates so making a team sit out even a week of league action is a big deal and a non starter for me.

Every format has draw backs. The reality is the 12 team league is far from a roaring success. The arse continues to fall out of crowds. There`s a serious imbalance when teams can win the league by getting their rivals twice at home.

The way i see it is we have never had 12 quality teams in the league at one time. We`ve rarely even had 4. Outside of Dundalk and Cork its a pretty hefty drop to the rest and a yawning chasam to the FD.
If we can get 10 well run teams in the league with decent facilities that would a good start.
There are simply too many Finn Park,United Park and Carlisle grounds standard grounds in the league. We simply need to set the bar at X for grounds.
 Not to pull our own Pud here but i see Sligo Rovers spending a million euro over 10 years to bring the Showgrounds from a state of dilapidation to where it is now one of the flagship grounds in the leagues. That needs to be the kind of progress expected of every team in the league. The "We have money and a crap ground, we`ll spunk it on overrated players and think about the consequences afterwards" attitude needs to be killed.

This crack about UCD coming up and ruining everything is nonsense. UCD are probably the best run club in the entire league and have produced more than their fair share of quality players which other clubs have benefited from. If it means a drop in everyone's attendances for 2 home games a year to pay them back. Suck it up.

Edited by Bitored - 23 Dec 2016 at 12:02am
The Boy Z View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Boy Z Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2016 at 4:37am
Every time this comes up we get the same 'football pyramid' notions. There is absolutely no chance of that happening. It's a complete pipe dream. No LSL team wants anything to do with the LOI. There are problems in the LSL, for sure, but not many of the top teams owe their bollox to various people/facilties/services. Sheriff were mentioned above to get them into a regional league below LOI. They rent a sh*te astro with no spectator facilities and no following. What would they possibly offer to the LOI. f**k all is the answer. (Same for the vast majority of Junior/Intermediate teams)

There are clear draw backs to 10/12/14 etc teams in the league but I would class myself as a neutral so I have no real bias towards anyone. Went to about 30 matches last season I reckon, with Bray playing Fridays this year that will be lower for 2017. It seems a waste of time even discussing what ifs but I would have kept it at 12 teams. Play each other twice. Top 6 and bottom 6 split after 22 games. Play each other twice. 32 games. I know there's loads wrong with but I would have liked to have seen that.

A couple of others things. In any of the leagues in Europe there is usually a sizable gulf in budget,quality, even fanbase between the top and the bottom. This is normal. There could be 6/10/20 teams in the league, it would be a freak if they were all as good as each other. Usually it breaks into 3 tiers. The Euro place chasers, the midtablers and the relegation candidates. I can't see this ever changing.

Get rid of the regional cups to f**k! Poxy competitions. Even the league cup could be binned too.

I just can't believe we're back to 10 teams lads. The FAI are so out of touch with the regular match going LOI fan. The discontent between fans and FAI has never been higher for me. The Conroy Report,5k grant, Gabay presentation,10 team league. My interest in going to games is at an all time low. 

Edited by The Boy Z - 23 Dec 2016 at 4:39am
Theres only one sport that matters..
GoneToShowgies View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GoneToShowgies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2016 at 9:26am

Will a 10 team league be better? Probably not. Will it be worse. Again probably not.

As I said before this is change for change sake. The FAI should be looking for long term league upgrades, not for stop-gap solutions.
Bitored View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitored Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2016 at 11:13pm
Originally posted by The Boy Z The Boy Z wrote:

Every time this comes up we get the same 'football pyramid' notions. There is absolutely no chance of that happening. It's a complete pipe dream. No LSL team wants anything to do with the LOI. There are problems in the LSL, for sure, but not many of the top teams owe their bollox to various people/facilties/services. Sheriff were mentioned above to get them into a regional league below LOI. They rent a sh*te astro with no spectator facilities and no following. What would they possibly offer to the LOI. f**k all is the answer. (Same for the vast majority of Junior/Intermediate teams)
Pyramid systems exist in every league in the world bar a few principalities and us.
The junior game is in rag order so a revamp would benefit it at a minimum.
If there was say 40 intermediate teams below the FD you`d only need is 3 or 4 of them to be capable of FD football. 40 intermediate sides wouldn't be excessive for a country of 4.5M people.
Rather than winning the Mayo/Kerry/Tipperary League at a canter big junior sides would be able to compete against similar size sides.
It`d be good for the game as a whole not just the LOI.

Edited by Bitored - 23 Dec 2016 at 11:14pm
gufct View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Trapattoni could manage me any day!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gufct Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2016 at 1:22pm
Yes but it would mean people actually working together and far less power for the old gits in blazers. We must have the oldest management board in the world where you have to die before your replaced.
One City,One County,One Club GUFC will be back.
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't ask me about car warranty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2017 at 12:09am
Neil O'Riordan reporting a backlash from clubs against the 10 team premier division here;

What does that actually mean though ? Stay at current status , or FAI force through their 10 team premier anyway ?

Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
  Share Topic