You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Conor McGregor

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
Author
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2023 at 5:22pm
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

Originally posted by eireland eireland wrote:

Originally posted by Trigboy 10 Trigboy 10 wrote:

Originally posted by Gaz Gaz wrote:

It's mad reading the comments from back in 2013 when he was likeable to how he's perceived by most Irish people now. Such a shame he ended up the way he did. And all his own fault
Never liked him really or his sport. Sure when he first emerged I don’t even think his sport was recognised in Ireland.
Well it's recognised now so that's more a reflection of how backwards Ireland was 10 years ago. 

Sorry, but Ireland was in no way backward for not caring too much about MMA fighting in 2013. 
In fairness, it was a bit compared to the crowds they were getting in other countries. 
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2023 at 5:30pm
Originally posted by Borussia Borussia wrote:

It's mad reading the comments from back in 2013 when he was likeable to how he's perceived by most Irish people now. Such a shame he ended up the way he did. And all his own fault
Never liked him really or his sport. Sure when he first emerged I don’t even think his sport was recognised in Ireland.
Well it's recognised now so that's more a reflection of how backwards Ireland was 10 years ago. 

Sorry, but Ireland was in no way backward for not caring too much about MMA fighting in 2013. 
In fairness, it was a bit compared to the crowds they were getting in other countries. 

I’m not sure I’d call a lack of interest as being backward.
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2023 at 5:36pm

There was interest there. It just wasn't officially recognised. 
The UFC was selling out the Point in 2009. 
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2023 at 5:38pm

Meh, Ireland attitudes to MMA either way doesn’t make it backward. I would take issue with the use of the term.
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2023 at 5:44pm

Meh, Ireland attitudes to MMA either way doesn’t make it backward. I would take issue with the use of the term.
Well, maybe backward isn't the right word
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2023 at 5:54pm

Originally posted by zizu Kilbane zizu Kilbane wrote:

Had a very personal pop at Irelands only politician from the Travelling community. He's horrible dirty **** 
Which election was it we had one of the candidates being anti traveller. Could even have been multiple.

Can anyone repeat what he said about travellers? Seems he's deleted the tweets. Surprised given one of his best friends and training partner over the years is a traveller. 

Presidential election. Peter Casey. Should put all the travelers in a refugee camp in the Phoenix Park. Got 23% of the vote.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
eireland View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eireland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2023 at 6:21pm
Originally posted by The Huntacha The Huntacha wrote:

Had a very personal pop at Irelands only politician from the Travelling community. He's horrible dirty **** 
Which election was it we had one of the candidates being anti traveller. Could even have been multiple.

Can anyone repeat what he said about travellers? Seems he's deleted the tweets. Surprised given one of his best friends and training partner over the years is a traveller. 

Presidential election. Peter Casey. Should put all the travelers in a refugee camp in the Phoenix Park. Got 23% of the vote.
Crazy when you think about it. Just shows you there's always been a sizeable far right vote in Ireland it's just not represented in the media. 

@Het 
So what's your issue here? Is the actual sport itself? Have you issues with lads and lassies having a scrap in the ring?
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2023 at 6:34pm
Are you saying it should be represented in the media ? 
AKA pedantic kunt
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2023 at 7:32pm
MMA is not a sport.  Its scumbags bating the head off each other.  2.30am Chip shop fighting in a cage.
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2023 at 7:44pm

Crazy when you think about it. Just shows you there's always been a sizeable far right vote in Ireland it's just not represented in the media. 

@Het 
So what's your issue here? Is the actual sport itself? Have you issues with lads and lassies having a scrap in the ring?

First, I don’t think there is any evidence to back up the idea that a large far-right vote has existed in Ireland. For a start the sort of issues that breed far-right sentiment simply didn’t exist in the country. It was usually a couple of lone voices whinging, and in the early days of the internet some keyboard warriors. But there was no material vote for the right. The ICP used run candidates and their vote was pathetic. Even in the next election, the possibility of some of the grifters who are heading up the movement in Ireland, getting elected, is totally far fetched. Undoubtedly they’ll run, but they won’t get anywhere.

In terms of MMA, I have no real issue with it. I just didn’t agree with the use of the term ‘backward.’

Edited by Het-field - 08 Dec 2023 at 7:45pm
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2023 at 8:39pm
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

MMA is not a sport.  Its scumbags bating the head off each other.  2.30am Chip shop fighting in a cage.
With all due respect this is just not a true statement.
I'm definitely not some sort of UFC fanboy who stays up until 6am watching fights and never really watched any of it before lockdown but got in to watching a bit of it then. From actually watching it you can see the skill levels involved - It's a tad insulting to tell somebody who has spent maybe 8 years becoming a black belt in jiu jitsu or somebody like Khabib who has excelled at wrestling and judo, that they are no better than lads scrapping on a Saturday night.
The GerK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Razor you wanna pint?...2 minutes later

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The GerK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2023 at 8:44pm

@Het 

First, I don’t think there is any evidence to back up the idea that a large far-right vote has existed in Ireland. For a start the sort of issues that breed far-right sentiment simply didn’t exist in the country. It was usually a couple of lone voices whinging, and in the early days of the internet some keyboard warriors. But there was no material vote for the right. The ICP used run candidates and their vote was pathetic. Even in the next election, the possibility of some of the grifters who are heading up the movement in Ireland, getting elected, is totally far fetched. Undoubtedly they’ll run, but they won’t get anywhere.

In terms of MMA, I have no real issue with it. I just didn’t agree with the use of the term ‘backward.’

I dunno. With a good campaign Gavin Pepper might sway 5 family members to vote for him
eireland View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eireland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2023 at 9:09pm
Maybe backward sounds extreme but we were definitely less progressive as were many countries. MMA wasn't even sanctioned in countries like France or many states in America such as New York. Thankfully that's been changed despite the old donkeys running things thinking MMA is nothing more then a barbaric bloodsport for psychopaths. 

The fact professional boxing was legal but not MMA made it even more laughable.
SeaSharp View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeaSharp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2023 at 10:03pm

Maybe backward sounds extreme but we were definitely less progressive as were many countries. MMA wasn't even sanctioned in countries like France or many states in America such as New York. Thankfully that's been changed despite the old donkeys running things thinking MMA is nothing more then a barbaric bloodsport for psychopaths. 

The fact professional boxing was legal but not MMA made it even more laughable.
I would take issue with the legality of elbow + knee strikes in MMA. Not that it matters, most UFC fights I've had the displeasure of watching have been two fellas cuddling for 15 minutes. Maybe I've been unlucky.
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2023 at 12:54am

Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

With all due respect this is just not a true statement.
I'm definitely not some sort of UFC fanboy who stays up until 6am watching fights and never really watched any of it before lockdown but got in to watching a bit of it then. From actually watching it you can see the skill levels involved - It's a tad insulting to tell somebody who has spent maybe 8 years becoming a black belt in jiu jitsu or somebody like Khabib who has excelled at wrestling and judo, that they are no better than lads scrapping on a Saturday night.

They can train all they want.  At the end of the day they are kneeing some lad in the head and what not.  Its a joke of a sport.   Hitting people over the head in a cage.  Think about that fora second.  I am sure there will be a time in humanity's history where they look back and not understand how stuff like MMA and boxing was ever considered a thing never mind a a sport.

Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2023 at 2:00am
You can't knock MMA for being savage but in the next breath support boxing or rugby. 
Rugby and boxing appear to be just as bad or evidence would say right now even worse at producing long term brain injuries. 

So what is it people don't like? It's unbelievable skill needed. A boxer workd champion wouldn't stand much chance in an MMA ring/cage gainst a decent level fighter. 

eireland View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eireland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2023 at 7:19am
Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

You can't knock MMA for being savage but in the next breath support boxing or rugby. 
Rugby and boxing appear to be just as bad or evidence would say right now even worse at producing long term brain injuries. 

So what is it people don't like? It's unbelievable skill needed. A boxer workd champion wouldn't stand much chance in an MMA ring/cage gainst a decent level fighter. 

Might as well throw kick boxing in with the sport ban list too.

I would much rather send my kid to train MMA then rugby for example for his own safety not to mention an MMA fighter will actually learn self defense. Being a big brain damaged juice head probably won't help you much in life. 

A large percentage of MMA fighters at local level would avoid the kick boxing element at least in terms of sparring as like most people they don't like getting clipped in the head. Plenty of lads who'll focus mainly on Jujutsu and wrestling and leave the rest to the bag.
BabbsBalls View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BabbsBalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2023 at 2:01pm
Not a huge fan of MMA but have by five year old doing martial arts at the minute. He loves it and its brilliant for him. Saying it's not a sport is just the usual suspects looking for attention. 
l hear you are a racist now, father ?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
  Share Topic