You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Conor Hourihane

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 78798081>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SC92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2022 at 9:35pm
Problem with Hourihane is despite the odd decent set piece he does nothing else. Not particularly good defensively, not mobile enough or creative.
Sponsored Links

Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2022 at 11:10pm
Unfortunately, you minus his long range shots from the showreel, the highlights are thin on the ground. His set pieces poor last couple of years. Brady's set pieces by large pretty bad too the last few years. 

McClean been alright, but has one too many brain farts in him and could easily send a cross to Pluto.

When it comes.to set pieces, Cullen, like his performance, are solid if unspectacular. 

Unfortunately, the lack of an ace set piece taker coincides with the lack of creativity in the midfield. Creativity/Guile/Eye for a pass = Proper set piece taker. 
CillDara View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CillDara Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2022 at 11:38pm
Jamie McGrath is one lad who can take a set piece I think, not sure about Conor Ronan? But I know he can strike a ball. Whether either will be good enough to start regularly for us is another thing, but do agree it would be a big help to us if we had a strong set piece taker. 
Luis Amor Rodriguez View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luis Amor Rodriguez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2022 at 5:42pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

Hourihane's set pieces have been hopeless for us in the last while though. He's as reliable as Ronaldo for hitting the ball straight into the first defender these days.

Sadly, this is true.
Luis Amor Rodriguez View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luis Amor Rodriguez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2022 at 5:59pm
Originally posted by Banjaxed Banjaxed wrote:

Unfortunately, you minus his long range shots from the showreel, the highlights are thin on the ground. His set pieces poor last couple of years. Brady's set pieces by large pretty bad too the last few years. 

McClean been alright, but has one too many brain farts in him and could easily send a cross to Pluto.

When it comes.to set pieces, Cullen, like his performance, are solid if unspectacular. 

Unfortunately, the lack of an ace set piece taker coincides with the lack of creativity in the midfield. Creativity/Guile/Eye for a pass = Proper set piece taker. 

Yep. McClean's prone to the odd skyer, but was a big improvement when switched in for Cullen.  I've been impressed, overall. 

Cullen set-pieces have just been like The Big Lebowski of crosses -  big, high, slow and loopy. 

Loads of time for defenders to see them and head away.  Even if Duffy or Egan get on the end of it, there's no power.  Cullen's got so poor that he was replaced by Coleman for corners in one game, who I'd never seen take one. 

Not sure what the answer is:

- I suspect maybe Parrott has that in his game if he focussed on it. 

- Ronan is getting better every season and hit some great free-kicks in his time with the U21s.  

- Ryan Manning? - always gets great reviews at Championship level, but we've not seen him get a run for us.  Maybe he's that player. 
Greenie50 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greenie50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2022 at 8:53pm
Seems like Hourihane may still go to Derby, though the Daily Mail are linking him with Huddersfield & Luton.
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2022 at 12:10pm
He's having a medical at Derby today. Great signing at their level but probably damaging to his international prospects. This time last year we had a lot of League 1 players in the squad but, assuming Knight moves on, we probably won't need to call up any League 1 lads this season, unless an exception is made for Hourihane.
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2022 at 12:13pm
Would he not have been better off waiting another three or four weeks to see what offers came in.

I'd be surprised if a player with his kind of profile didn't have more exotic options than Derby.
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2022 at 12:23pm
Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

Would he not have been better off waiting another three or four weeks to see what offers came in.

I'd be surprised if a player with his kind of profile didn't have more exotic options than Derby.

But he's been very average to below average for a couple of years now. Based on footballing evidence, I don't see why there would be such clamour.

Unless you literally set your team up so that Hourihane is in acres of space for balls whipped in from the wings, I haven't seen much else he's useful at. 

Unfortunately, he's a passenger for vast majority of most games .
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2022 at 12:50pm

But he's been very average to below average for a couple of years now. Based on footballing evidence, I don't see why there would be such clamour.

Unless you literally set your team up so that Hourihane is in acres of space for balls whipped in from the wings, I haven't seen much else he's useful at. 

Not sure that stands up to scrutiny tbh. He scored a shedload of goals on loan at Swansea for the 2nd half of the season in 2020/21; and also played a lot for a Sheffield Utd side that came close to promotion this year. He hasn't hit the heights he did 4/5 years ago, but he's been far from bad as well.
We're decent enough..
Greenie50 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greenie50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2022 at 1:24pm
Good move for him. I suspect gametime & location were big factors in picking Derby. He would have been a squad player for Huddersfield & Luton.

Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

Not sure that stands up to scrutiny tbh. He scored a shedload of goals on loan at Swansea for the 2nd half of the season in 2020/21; and also played a lot for a Sheffield Utd side that came close to promotion this year. He hasn't hit the heights he did 4/5 years ago, but he's been far from bad as well.

5 goals & 2 assists in 19 games is a good return for a half-season loanee. But Swansea fans were saying he was too often anonymous is open play, which matches what we have seen of him for years.

At Sheff Utd he started 15 league games (13 sub apps), but 11 or 12 of those starts came when John Fleck was out with his medical issues/other injuries. Only got 1 goal & 4 assists in 31 games there.

During all that he didn't start a competitive game for Ireland (last time was vs Bulgaria, Nov 2020).

Dropping down to League 1 will guarantee him a lot of gametime to maybe keep his name in & around the Ireland squad, but it's a level too low now, (most players we've been calling up from L1 are moving up) and with the midfielders coming through - Kilkenny, Smallbone, Coventry - & hopefully McGrath getting back in the frame, & possibly Byrne if he's playing well in Europe - and he's pushing 32. Given all that,  I think we've probably seen the last of him in an Ireland shirt.

Edited by Greenie50 - 05 Jul 2022 at 1:32pm
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2022 at 3:16pm
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

Ah he's been poor enough the past year and a very lucky boy to still be making Ireland squads imo. 

Kenny will still pick him as a squad player though as midfield is one of our biggest weak spots. I'd prefer if we looked elsewhere but Hourihane has a lot of experience. 

I still haven't forgiven the bollocks for that missed chance against Slovakia. DeadLOL 
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2022 at 12:01pm
Hourihane confirmed as a Derby player. David McGoldrick and James Collins expected to join him there.
Heimatklange View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heimatklange Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2022 at 12:15pm
at his level now. hopefully thats him out of consideration for the irish team now. time for younger and hungrier players to get a chance
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2022 at 12:16pm

Hourihane confirmed as a Derby player. David McGoldrick and James Collins expected to join him there.

They're making some good signings with not just the Irish lads but players like Chester and Barkhuizen. They could romp that division next season.

Championship was a difficult adjustment for Collins but he could have a similar impact to Will Keane if he does sign.

Portsmouth also interested in him.
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2022 at 12:42pm

They're making some good signings with not just the Irish lads but players like Chester and Barkhuizen. They could romp that division next season.

Championship was a difficult adjustment for Collins but he could have a similar impact to Will Keane if he does sign.

Portsmouth also interested in him.

Another swipe at Collins (and you've also managed to take a back handed swipe at Will Keane) all in one post in the Conor Hourihane thread - Bravo!

I'll say this again since you really seem to struggle with the actual facts - Collins scored 24 goals in his first 2 Championship seasons - a real difficult "adjustment" for him alright LOL
We're decent enough..
SC92 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SC92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2022 at 12:42pm
Hopefully Kilkenny will become a regular championship player and take Hourihane's place in the squad.

This seems a good move for Hourihane personally buy I really don't think he is international standard.

Edited by SC92 - 06 Jul 2022 at 12:42pm
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2022 at 12:44pm
Playing in League 1 isn’t a blocker to the international team at the moment, so regular football will be at the forefront of Hourihane’s mind.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 78798081>
  Share Topic