You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Conor Hourihane

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7677787980 81>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2022 at 7:15pm
Yes, basically Robinson has plenty of credit in the bank, one off day for him isn't a big deal. Whereas it feels like Hourihane has had about 30 off days for Ireland at this stage. Eventually you come to the conclusion that they're not actually off days, that's just his level and he's not good enough for what we need in the middle.
Sponsored Links

SeanC View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeanC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2022 at 11:39pm
a few years back when he moved to villa I genuinely thought he could become a player for us. But that time has long gone, games pass him by constantly. His only interjections being dead balls - corners, frees but they are no longer enough to justify any sort of selection. Ronan, Sykes should have been on the pitch ahead of him against Lithuania. Defo one of the few blind spots Kenny has these days imo…

Edited by SeanC - 04 Apr 2022 at 11:40pm
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2022 at 11:15am
Originally posted by SeanC SeanC wrote:

a few years back when he moved to villa I genuinely thought he could become a player for us. But that time has long gone, games pass him by constantly. His only interjections being dead balls - corners, frees but they are no longer enough to justify any sort of selection. Ronan, Sykes should have been on the pitch ahead of him against Lithuania. Defo one of the few blind spots Kenny has these days imo…

There's no great mystery. Just watch Hourihane's last 10 starts for Ireland in the cold light of day, when you already know the result, and emotions don't dictate your thoughts. He just doesn't contribute enough for a midfielder. And as our supposed creative attacking midfielder, he falls so far short, it's not even funny.
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2022 at 11:19am
The mystery for me is that he made it to the Premier League at all. Made a few goal/assist contributions during his Premier League season back when his set piece delivery was better than it is now, but was of course largely anonymous in general play and once they stayed up that season and needed to kick on, he was quickly dropped from the team.
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2022 at 11:23am
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

The mystery for me is that he made it to the Premier League at all. Made a few goal/assist contributions during his Premier League season back when his set piece delivery was better than it is now, but was of course largely anonymous in general play and once they stayed up that season and needed to kick on, he was quickly dropped from the team.

He was pivotal to them staying up that season. They looked a far more settled, better organised team with him in it. Jack Grealish alluded to it as well, saying he loved playing in the same midfield as him.

They've spent money on improving the side since but give credit where it's due.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2022 at 11:24am
Originally posted by Banjaxed Banjaxed wrote:

Originally posted by SeanC SeanC wrote:

There's no great mystery. Just watch Hourihane's last 10 starts for Ireland in the cold light of day, when you already know the result, and emotions don't dictate your thoughts. He just doesn't contribute enough for a midfielder. And as our supposed creative attacking midfielder, he falls so far short, it's not even funny.

He's not in the team to be a creative attacking midfielder though! There's no point picking on him for stuff he's not even supposed to be doing.
sausy View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
MAYO FOR SAM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sausy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2022 at 11:27am
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

He in the side covering McGinn when he was out injured. McGinn was always going to come straight back in once fit so can't really say Hourihane was dropped based on performances.
Bimbos Burgers - "Official Sponsor of the Irish Squad"
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2022 at 11:36am
Originally posted by sausy sausy wrote:

He in the side covering McGinn when he was out injured. McGinn was always going to come straight back in once fit so can't really say Hourihane was dropped based on performances.

Why was McGinn always going to come straight back into the team?
Was it, oh I don't know, down to their relative performance levels?

sausy View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
MAYO FOR SAM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sausy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2022 at 11:45am
Originally posted by Fozz Fozz wrote:

McGinn is a better player than Hourihane. Can't really say they were battling it out every week to get a start when McGinn was 100% going to start ahead of him. Once he was back fit the status quo was resumed. too big of a gap (well in Deane Smith's mind) between the two for Hourihane to make the position his own IMO.
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2022 at 11:49am

McGinn is a better player than Hourihane. Can't really say they were battling it out every week to get a start when McGinn was 100% going to start ahead of him. Once he was back fit the status quo was resumed. too big of a gap (well in Deane Smith's mind) between the two for Hourihane to make the position his own IMO.

Yep, I'd say you are correct.
I spose what I was saying was that if Hourihane had come in and put in better performances, then maybe he'd have kept his place.

Anyway, I think we're saying the same thing and it's all been said above.

Fair play to the lad for the career he has had and will still have.
And it's up to other lads to push him out of the Ireland setup.
sausy View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
MAYO FOR SAM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sausy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2022 at 11:55am

Yep, I'd say you are correct.
I spose what I was saying was that if Hourihane had come in and put in better performances, then maybe he'd have kept his place.

Anyway, I think we're saying the same thing and it's all been said above.

Fair play to the lad for the career he has had and will still have.
And it's up to other lads to push him out of the Ireland setup.

As a Villa fan I've always liked him and there can't be too many players who have scored in all 4 professional leagues in the UK. Hopefully he has another good few years in him.
Eoink21 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eoink21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2022 at 12:33pm
Villa were playing 4-3-3 weren't they? He always filled in on the left or right of the middle 3 for Villa, with a sitter like Nakamba or Luiz. Grealish played a lot in that middle 3, and obviously McGinn. It's a different role to the one he has been asked to play for Ireland i.e. in a middle 2. He can't do that I'm afraid. 
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2022 at 12:34pm

Well, if it was down to results levels then Hourihane would've stayed in the team because they were averaging more points with him in the team than they were without.
darman28 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darman28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2022 at 1:51pm
Yes Hourihane can be a frustrating player with his lack of physicality and athleticism he slows down play alot, loses a lot of 50-50s and looks afraid of a tackle. I think he is mostly in teams for his left foot and for his experience even the age profile of the Ireland squad.
TBF, on his last start against Qatar back in October (only 5 matches ago) he played well with Hendrick beside him and he set up two goals that night.
I don't think he will over take Cullen or Hendrick in midfield unless either are injured and even at that I don't think he would start against a team seeded higher than Ireland.
Personally I don't think he suits Irelands play style due to his lack of mobility, with only two midfielders we really all round players in there who get around the pitch and be comfortable on the ball like Cullen and Hendrick.
But at the same time who replaces him in the squad at the moment? Outside Browne, knight and Molumby who are already in the squad that can play central midfield, who outside the squad is banging down the door to replace Hourihane.
Arguments could be made for Coventry, Taylor and Doyle-Hayes but they are actually not breaking down the door or playing at a lower level.
A lot of the younger central midfield players have not progressed or kicked on because either not playing, injury, to low a level etc. Kilkenny, Johansson, O'Connor for example.
Maybe you could argue Ronan or Sykes can play there but they actually don't play defensive or central midfield roles at much and mostly play in more so attacking roles.
I think we are stuck with Hourihane for the foreseeable international windows unless he is injured, not playing or somebody outside the squad really steps up in the next year.
Artie Ziff View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Artie Ziff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2022 at 1:58pm

Isn't that what happens at every club when the better players are back Confused
It would damage this forums' reputation
Badgersboys9 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Badgersboys9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2022 at 10:07pm
Kenny singled him out earlier as a someone who has potential to be a great future coach/manager.

"An analytical thinker of the game".
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2022 at 9:56pm
Finally off the mark with a trademark goal.
Heimatklange View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heimatklange Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2022 at 12:05pm
misses a pen in the playoffs and is out of contract. Can't see any championship clubs rushing for his signature after a poor season.

Edited by Heimatklange - 18 May 2022 at 12:05pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7677787980 81>
  Share Topic