You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Conor Hourihane

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7374757677 81>
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2021 at 2:14pm
Originally posted by Banjaxed Banjaxed wrote:

Bench again. What was the point in moving there? Hasn't even been given a run of games.

He's not good enough to earn a run of games.
Sponsored Links

Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2021 at 2:18pm
Originally posted by Maccatacca Maccatacca wrote:

Bench again. What was the point in moving there? Hasn't even been given a run of games.

I know. I just don't get how someone like Hourihane at his age would move to a team where he doesn't have at least some guarantees.

Why did Sheffield Utd even buy him?! Confused

A basic scouting mission would tell you all he need to know. 
Maccatacca View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2021 at 2:24pm

I know. I just don't get how someone like Hourihane at his age would move to a team where he doesn't have at least some guarantees.

Not too worried about him anyway, Knight, Molumby, Kilkenny and Taylor all under the age of 23 and starting in the Championship today, the likes of Hourihane should be moved on from the squad imo.
Greenie50 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greenie50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2021 at 2:30pm

He's on loan.
Actually I think they'll end the loan in January, he's not been good at all there, I had a bit of a listen to the Sheff United Way watchalong the last match and heard the line "...and Hourihane has passed the ball to literally nobody..."

A move to a slower, less physical league would suit him.

J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2021 at 2:46pm
Should chance his arm in the MLS if a good offer was on the table. In the championship he'll need a team built around him to do the work he won't off the ball.

Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2021 at 2:55pm
Originally posted by Greenie50 Greenie50 wrote:

He's on loan.
Actually I think they'll end the loan in January, he's not been good at all there, I had a bit of a listen to the Sheff United Way watchalong the last match and heard the line "...and Hourihane has passed the ball to literally nobody..."

Thought they bought him. Anyway, I think his options are narrowing with every transfer window. Hasn't helped himself by improving on basics of the game that have been letting him down. 

He's definitely in firing line when this international campaign comes to an end. Will struggle for spot next March. 
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2021 at 3:26pm

He's on loan.

Do you honestly think any respected commentator would say something like that? It sounds like something someone on their tenth beer would say. I don't put much stock on what people who already carry preconceived ideas about a player have to say.
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2021 at 3:37pm
Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

He's on loan.

Do you honestly think any respected commentator would say something like that? It sounds like something someone on their tenth beer would say. I don't put much stock on what people who already carry preconceived ideas about a player have to say.

It's a sensationalist line, but in fairness Hourihane has been piss poor the last 12 months. And the one thing that could be replied upon... His set pieces and passing has been incredibly patchy.

A player who in theory you put in the team to distribute the ball, yet he seems to do his best to avoid being on the ball. Whether it's a confidence thing or not, a lot of his poor performances are down him, his unwillingness to demand to be on the ball, and willingness to let games pass him by. 

Plenty of players lack mobility but discover other ways to be effective. He has a skillset to think outside the box but we rarely see it. 

Greenie50 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greenie50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2021 at 3:44pm

He's on loan.

I don't "think" it, they literally said it. It's a fan podcast.
And they were actually quite excited when they signed Hourihane, they've found out his deficiencies by actually watching him play, the same deficiencies we're well aware of as Ireland fans.

In a struggling SU team Hourihane has 2 starts, lasting only 65' and 38'.
Five sub appearances of 10' to 20' each.
His competition is Norwood who SU fans aren't overly fond of.
He's not doing well.

Edited by Greenie50 - 06 Nov 2021 at 3:46pm
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2021 at 3:55pm
I know they said it but I don't think someone like Martin Tyler or Ian Darke would say it is my point. It belies a lot of frustration and passion. Fair enough, but as a commentator you would expect to remain more composed and neutral.

I know he's not doing well, either, but another way of looking at it is he has 2 goal involvements in 100 minutes of football.

He also had a serious enough injury at the tail end of last season and who knows how/if that's affecting him.
Stickittotheman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stickittotheman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2021 at 3:58pm
Not too concerned at his lack of game time. With Cullen first choice, Hendrick seems to have turned a corner and I have a feeling Howe might fancy utilising him, Molumby getting game time, Gavin Kilkenny making the breakthrough and Alan Browne offering an option in there we look ok in Central midfield at the moment. 
Walters coming back from an offside position but Shane Long was definitely onside- Shane Lonnggggggg.... has done it!!!!
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2021 at 4:00pm
Originally posted by Stickittotheman Stickittotheman wrote:

Not too concerned at his lack of game time. With Cullen first choice, Hendrick seems to have turned a corner and I have a feeling Howe might fancy utilising him, Molumby getting game time, Gavin Kilkenny making the breakthrough and Alan Browne offering an option in there we look ok in Central midfield at the moment. 

Speaking of Browne, is he suspended or injured? He's not in the squad today.
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2021 at 4:03pm
Picked up a knock in training.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2021 at 8:01pm
Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2021 at 8:14pm

Harsh ratings, Egan and Stevens both got 5. They drew 0-0 with a team 12 places higher than them in the table!
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2022 at 10:46pm
The 34 games he's went without scoring for club and country represents the biggest drought of his career.

Hasn't scored in 10 months.

Browne, Knight and McGrath also failing to reach the heights of previous seasons.

Just goes to show it's not just our strikers flattering to deceive.

Hogan and Robinson are just about scoring what they usually average. And that's as good as it gets.

You have to go down to League One level to find anything to crow about. Keane's having his best season. Scully, Sykes and Harness are making waves. And in League Two, Drinan's having a breakthrough season.

Edited by Hotlips_Hoolahan - 10 Jan 2022 at 10:51pm
Loc View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Loc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2022 at 10:56pm

The 34 games he's went without scoring for club and country represents the biggest drought of his career.

Browne, Knight and McGrath also failing to reach the heights of previous seasons.

Hogan and Robinson are just about scoring what they usually average. And that's as good as it gets.

You have to go down to League One level to find anything to crow about. Keane's having his best season. Scully, Sykes and Harness are making waves. And in League Two, Drinan's having a breakthrough season.

Think Browne has been very good last few games from what I read. Also Knight seems to be mr consistency. Regularly 7/10. 

Disappointing that McGrath hadn’t pushed on and attracted someone better than Aberdeen.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2022 at 10:59pm
Originally posted by Loc Loc wrote:

Think Browne has been very good last few games from what I read. Also Knight seems to be mr consistency. Regularly 7/10. 

Disappointing that McGrath hadn’t pushed on and attracted someone better than Aberdeen.

Not disputing that. It's just being a fallow term in terms of goalscoring contributions.

Much was made of Idah's hat-trick against Preston. Sean Maguire's gone off the boil a bit but netted 10 in 24 in his first Championship campaign for that Preston side.

Imagine the excitement if Connolly, Idah or Parrott replicated that kind of form.

Edited by Hotlips_Hoolahan - 10 Jan 2022 at 11:04pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7374757677 81>
  Share Topic