You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Conor Hourihane

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2627282930 81>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nvidic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2018 at 10:32am
Originally posted by Trap for Pope Trap for Pope wrote:

As a Villa fan I have followed Conor closely since joining and while his goal scoring exploits are eye catching, I remain unconvinced he has what it takes to cut the mustard at International level. He flits in and out of games far too much for my liking and his goal scoring can mask this fact at times. He has potential though and has certainly an eye for goal

Useful post that was skipped by for some reason
Sponsored Links

DeclanDaly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2018 at 11:03am
Originally posted by nvidic nvidic wrote:

Originally posted by Trap for Pope Trap for Pope wrote:

As a Villa fan I have followed Conor closely since joining and while his goal scoring exploits are eye catching, I remain unconvinced he has what it takes to cut the mustard at International level. He flits in and out of games far too much for my liking and his goal scoring can mask this fact at times. He has potential though and has certainly an eye for goal

Useful post that was skipped by for some reason

Yep. I agree with you, TFP
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2018 at 12:58pm
Probably lacks a bit of pace for the top level. I don't think he'll ever be a regular starter for us, but he'll provide decent back up, and a goal-threat off the bench if we're chasing a game.
We're decent enough..
Pauldaly1984 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pauldaly1984 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2018 at 5:48am
John Sheridan scored 5 in 35 which isn't a bad return
willmcc83 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willmcc83 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2018 at 10:46am
Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

When was the last time we had a goal scoring midfielder? You’re going back to 94.

James McClean
Time To Get Behind Mick & The Team
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2018 at 12:22pm
Andy Reid had a reasonable record at club level, and managed 4 in 29 for us.

As has been mentioned before though, the likes of Hendrick and Arter had good goalscoring records in the Championship, and neither has really translated that to a higher level. In their defence, that's partly because they been asked to play in a more constrained role, but I suppose that's how they'll be asked to play for Ireland too...
We're decent enough..
djhegzy View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djhegzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2018 at 3:30pm
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

As has been mentioned before though, the likes of Hendrick and Arter had good goalscoring records in the Championship, and neither has really translated that to a higher level. In their defence, that's partly because they been asked to play in a more constrained role, but I suppose that's how they'll be asked to play for Ireland too...

Hendrick plays behind the striker for Burnley, wouldnt call it constrained.
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2018 at 3:37pm
Goal scoring can often camouflage deficiencies in other areas of somebody’s game. It’s not a bad camouflage in a way pace and speed can be, but it can deflect from the fact that somebody may not be highly involved in games, or is weak in the tackle, or has a poor passing remit.

I feel Hourihane should be given an opportunity, and I feel he has done more than enough this season to warrant a number of starts in the warm up games before we look to qualify for Euro 2020,but he is a player who will need to show a wide remit as I feel we don’t have the scope to carry a passenger who may or may not score a goal.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2018 at 4:33pm
Originally posted by djhegzy djhegzy wrote:

Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

Hendrick plays behind the striker for Burnley, wouldnt call it constrained.

He plays in a very defensive, structured team. His job is to support the midfield rather than having free reign to go forward.

Edited by The O'Shea - 28 Feb 2018 at 4:34pm
We're decent enough..
Double Maxim View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2018 at 6:48am

I hope Conor starts tonight and takes his opportunity.
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world
bogball88 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bogball88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2018 at 11:35am
Nice headed goal last night
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2018 at 5:04pm
Conor is in the Villa team for their first leg play off game v Boro live on sky now.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2018 at 6:16am
Hope Conor's injury isn't serious from yesterdays EPL final?
Sono View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Inspector Gadget

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sono Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2018 at 8:30am

Edited by Sono - 27 May 2018 at 12:46pm
Dr. Pat View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr. Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2018 at 9:39am
I try not to post negative stuff on here but I feel like giving my 2 cents on Conor. I've watched him closely in six full games this year for Villa and have been very disappointed with his performances.
 He obviously has an excellent strike and is a danger from outside the box but in general play he contributes so little. He's not progressive with his passing and even when taking the simple option the pass is too often slightly musplaced or underhit, putting the team under pressure. He is not athletic and looks leggy when trying to make tackles or interceptions, case and point being missing the tackle on Sessegnon in the leadup to yesterday's goal. 
Even with our limited resources, I don't see him as a good option for us. I would have Hendrick, McCarthy, Rice, Arter, Meyler, Browne and S.Williams all ahead of him.
As a fellow Corkman, I'd love to be proved wrong but can't see it.
Geremi has let Kilbane in here, cross comes out to Holland, 1:1!!
willGUFC View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willGUFC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2018 at 11:57am
Agree with ya there 100%  not impressed with him at all
Maccatacca View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2018 at 12:17pm
From my limited viewing of him while playing for Ireland, he doesn't warrant enough to get near the first team. 

We aren't the type of team who can afford to accommodate a slow, technically limited midfielder just because he offers a threat from efforts outside the box.

We need high energy box-to-box midfielders and I think Alan Browne will be the next midfielder to break through over the likes of Hourihane, Judge etc. 
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2018 at 8:50am

Conor got a hat trick in Villas 4 1 win over Walsall last night.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2627282930 81>
  Share Topic