You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Connor Ronan

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 17181920>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luis Amor Rodriguez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2023 at 3:14pm
All this lad needs is playing time - he's done very well at every club he's been loaned to, and was exceptional at U21 for us.

I would not be writing him off at all.  

Also, I said it when he was 20, he's the closest thing to Wes that we have - the type of player we've a bit of a dearth of.  Probably still is.

Similar to Wes, I could see him start to make more of an impression in the senior fold in the second half of his 20s.  
Sponsored Links

AbuAbu View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AbuAbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2023 at 3:17pm
End of his international ambitions. Don't understand this move from a career point of view. Maybe there was no interest in him from Championship or L1. But he did well in Scotland so there should have been.
It's not me it's you:-)
zizu Kilbane View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zizu Kilbane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2023 at 3:25pm
Originally posted by JoxerDaly JoxerDaly wrote:

Argentina have MLS players in there squad along with other top tier nations if Ronan does well then why not but needs to be getting good numbers to warrant a call up no doubt.

Exactly. See how he goes. He's still relatively young
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"
SC92 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SC92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2023 at 3:28pm
The MLS is pretty close to the championship in international rankings and better than the SPL which we use players from. Plenty of good international players in the league. If we wrote him off for that I'd be very disappointed in Stephen Kenny.

I think he wants a place to settle at this point on his career still time for him to come back to Europe.
84ccfc84 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 84ccfc84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2023 at 3:29pm
mls is absolutely better than playing with kilmarnock or dundee utd etc. why are people acting like hes taken up an offer from a LOI club
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2023 at 3:32pm
If he went to Kilmarnock or Dundee United, or a League 1 team, he's probably not going to get called up by Ireland. Similarly, if he's going to Colorado, he's probably not going to get called up by Ireland.
AbuAbu View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AbuAbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2023 at 3:35pm
the point is out of sight out of mind. i would guesstimate his chances of a move back to efl are greatly reduced. he would want to be smashing it over there.

the next Ronnie O'Brien.......who seems to be having a great life as a golf pro in florida!
It's not me it's you:-)
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2023 at 3:38pm
Originally posted by AbuAbu AbuAbu wrote:

the point is out of sight out of mind. i would guesstimate his chances of a move back to efl are greatly reduced. he would want to be smashing it over there.

the next Ronnie O'Brien.......who seems to be having a great life as a golf pro in florida!

Well that would be down to sh*t management rather than the level he's moving to. Underage squads as far down as U15s have had players based in US and Canada.
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2023 at 3:39pm
Originally posted by Luis Amor Rodriguez Luis Amor Rodriguez wrote:

All this lad needs is playing time - he's done very well at every club he's been loaned to, and was exceptional at U21 for us.

I would not be writing him off at all.  

Also, I said it when he was 20, he's the closest thing to Wes that we have - the type of player we've a bit of a dearth of.  Probably still is.

Similar to Wes, I could see him start to make more of an impression in the senior fold in the second half of his 20s.  

He's played nearly 130 games of senior football though.

Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2023 at 3:47pm
What are we basing our views on the MLS on?
Robbie's time there?

Kenny rates the lad and he was pivotal in his 21's campaign.
If he plays weekly and does well out there, he'll be in the picture for callups, would be my view.

Also fair to say he could be undercut by younger creative midfielders coming up behind him.  Likes of Moran, Ferizaj, Vatta, Zefi etc.  Any one of these could be in the picture for senior caps in a year or two and it won't take much for them to get into the picture as our dearth of creative types is clear for all to see.
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2023 at 3:52pm
Originally posted by Fozz Fozz wrote:

What are we basing our views on the MLS on?
Robbie's time there?

Kenny rates the lad and he was pivotal in his 21's campaign.
If he plays weekly and does well out there, he'll be in the picture for callups, would be my view.

Also fair to say he could be undercut by younger creative midfielders coming up behind him.  Likes of Moran, Ferizaj, Vatta, Zefi etc.  Any one of these could be in the picture for senior caps in a year or two and it won't take much for them to get into the picture as our dearth of creative types is clear for all to see.

Does he rate him as a senior international though? Because he's been manager for nearly three years and he hasn't given him a single cap. I think he saw him as someone who was very capable and useful at Under 21 level alright, but maybe not senior international material.
SC92 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SC92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2023 at 3:56pm
Pretty sure Kenny mentioned him last international window about wishing he was having more regular gametime so he could be an option.

Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2023 at 4:08pm
Yeah I think Kenny does rate him and wishes he had that player at senior level that did so well at underage.
But until the player himself is playing well at a decent standard, he was not under consideration.
In my view, if Ronan was getting Hodge's exposure, he'd have been in that last squad.

But then maybe Ronan will never be as effective at senior level as he was at underage, and he'd not be the first player to follow that path.

Edited by Fozz - 18 Jan 2023 at 4:09pm
Greenie50 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greenie50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2023 at 4:40pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

If he went to Kilmarnock or Dundee United, or a League 1 team, he's probably not going to get called up by Ireland. Similarly, if he's going to Colorado, he's probably not going to get called up by Ireland.

He was called up last March while playing for St Mirren (McGrath plays for us while playing for St Mirren/Dundee Utd. Scales gets called up playing for Aberdeen.)

He was very unlucky to get injured at the end of last season or he probably would have been in the squad for the June games. And he's only got 70mins of football since then so he hasn't been in the frame for the September or November windows.

If Ronan is playing regularly at a decent level he'll have a good chance of another call up, and probably a cap.

The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2023 at 5:48pm
While the MLS is better than SPL/L1 (mid-range Championship is probably a fair assessment) I still don't think it's a great move. You're out of sight out of mind in America, even if the standard is better than the leagues some of his other options play in.
We're decent enough..
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2023 at 6:50pm
I wouldn’t be mad about the move
but for a nation whom 90% of our senior players are 2nd/3rd tier footballers the ignorance in some of the replies are astounding! Irish fans or indeed any Irish manager are in no position to be turning their nose up at Ronan if he performs for Colorado! 

If he goes best of luck to him! It’s 2023 not 1982 any possibility of him being “too out of sight” would say far more about our ignorant Englander like attitude to football then it would about the move Ronan has made!

Edited by kevin100 - 18 Jan 2023 at 7:39pm
IrishCanadian View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IrishCanadian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2023 at 7:01pm
Good move, would love to see more of our lads in MLS. Good standard league with some very technical football with the bonus of getting the chance to play with World Cup winners and players with experience at the very highest level. Far better than mid-table SPL or League One sides. 

Colorado is an amazingly beautiful place to live too. The rapids typically aren’t the strongest side but they’ve got a good coach. 

If the FAI are incapable of watching video tapes from outside of the UK then we’ll continue to be f**ked anyway so he may as well just go enjoy his life. 
84ccfc84 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 84ccfc84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2023 at 7:13pm
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

While the MLS is better than SPL/L1 (mid-range Championship is probably a fair assessment) I still don't think it's a great move. You're out of sight out of mind in America, even if the standard is better than the leagues some of his other options play in.

its 2023, how is he out of sight out of mind?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 17181920>
  Share Topic