You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Connor Ronan (Wolves)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GUFC_Andy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Connor Ronan (Wolves)
    Posted: 17 Dec 2016 at 6:00pm
Made his debut for Wolves today
Don't ban me for no reason, please.
Sponsored Links

schillaci View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la
I love Scott HULK Hogan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote schillaci Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2016 at 7:56pm
Originally posted by GUFC_Andy GUFC_Andy wrote:

Too much information to process there......... Confused
schillaci View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la
I love Scott HULK Hogan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote schillaci Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2016 at 8:06pm
Originally posted by schillaci schillaci wrote:

Originally posted by GUFC_Andy GUFC_Andy wrote:

Too much information to process there......... Confused

I'll do it myself Wink

He came on as a 81st minute sub against Notts Forest.
Ronan was named Wolves academy player of the year last season, following on from the accolade of winning the Ireland Under-17 Player of the Year award.

English born midfielder, 18 years old.

and here he is playing for England ......Shocked

http://www.thefa.com/news/2015/Feb/21/connor-ronan-discusses-rochdale-idols-and-england-aspirations-210215

From his Wiki page; (Revenge for Grealish ??)

Connor has Irish grandparents, so although born and raised in Rochdale he has two possible countries at international level.

In February 2015 he was called up into the England Under-17 squad for the Algarve tournament to cover withdrawals. Herbie Kane of Liverpool and Charlie Wakefield of Chelsea had both withdrawn with injuries. Ronan and Andre Green of Aston Villa replaced them. Connor made his debut at halftime in the first game, against Holland. Unfortunately England were already five down at that stage, and the match finished Holland 7 England 0. Two days later Connor got his first start, in a match against Portugal, again playing a half. England led at halftime thanks to a Kazaiah Sterling goal, but it finished 1-1. Those are his two England appearances to date.

However, he subsequently played in two friendlies for the Republic of Ireland U17s in Croatia in late February. Shortly afterwards, in March, the squads were announced for the UEFA Under-17 Championships Elite stage and Connor was in the Irish squad rather than the English one. He went on to be part of the team that qualified for the finals in Bulgaria, and also played in all three of the Republic's games at those finals.

Edited by schillaci - 17 Dec 2016 at 8:14pm
pateen View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pateen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2016 at 12:34pm
Great to see, good man Connor
schillaci View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la
I love Scott HULK Hogan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote schillaci Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2016 at 8:08pm
Connor has signed a new contact with Wolves until 2019

schillaci View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la
I love Scott HULK Hogan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote schillaci Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2016 at 4:03am
Right lads. I'm adopting this lad on YBIG. I like the cut of his gib. He comes across very well in this interview.

http://www.expressandstar.com/sport/wolverhampton-wanderers-fc/2016/12/23/connor-ronan-targets-first-wolves-start/

The Irish midfielder is regarded as one the brightest prospects to come out of the academy in recent years.

He yesterday signed a new contract tying him to the club until 2019, with Wolves having the option of an extra year.

Ronan, who was the academy player of the year for 2015/16, made his first-team debut off the bench away at Nottingham Forest last weekend, replacing Helder Costa in the 81st minute. And he's now targeting his first start in Wolves colours.

Ronan said of his new contract: "It feels good. Ever since I arrived at the club I have been setting myself little goals.

"Initially it was to play for the under-18s as a first year scholar and that happened fairly quickly. Then it was to play for the under-23s, and score for the 23s, and then I became captain as well.

"This season it was about trying to earn a new contract and maybe get a first-team appearance, and now they have both come as well.

"So I now have to go again and aim to get a start for the first team between now and the end of the season."

Boss Paul Lambert has praised Ronan's character and believes he has a huge future ahead of him.

The 18-year-old says if he's enjoying his football then he'll be producing on the pitch too.

"I am quite a humble person," he said. "Even when there are a lot of things going on around me like a debut and a contract, I just concentrate on doing what I am good at.

"And that is playing football and enjoying my football. If I am enjoying football then I will be playing well.

"Nothing changes for me – I could be playing 18s one week, 23s the next and then even in the first team, and I have to keep doing the same things and keeping the same attitude and mindset.

"Off the pitch I am a fairly quiet character but when I am on the pitch playing my football I come out of my shell.

"I enjoy being captain, leading the team and telling people what to do and making sure everything is as it should be.

"I enjoy that responsibility and feel I have taken it on well this year.

"The success has come from all of us in the Under-23s this year.

"It is a strange scenario now because I am enjoying that so much, and there are times when I leave the team to go with the first team."

After Ronan's debut his father Steven posted an emotional message on Facebook alongside his son's match shirt.

Steven said the teenager had made his family's dreams come true.

The Irish youth international said his father and all of his family had made sacrifices for him.

"If my dad was working late then my mom would have to take me to training and so on, or my grandparents," he said.

"It is everyone - even friends that I have grown up playing football with - they have all supported me and sent me messages after the game.

"It is a massive thing for me to know that everyone is still looking out for me.

"Maybe I don't need their guidance as much as I did when I was younger, but it means a lot to know that they are still there, and thinking about how I am doing.

"My brother had been asking me for a while for a shirt. I'd been saying give me to the end of the season and I will do my best!

"It has come sooner than I thought and means a lot to me to be able to give my shirt to him and make my family proud.

"Hopefully there are plenty more shirts to come - that is the aim!"

Edited by schillaci - 24 Dec 2016 at 4:13am
GUFC_Andy View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GUFC_Andy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2016 at 4:14am
Probably our most promising and talented prospect right now
grannyrule View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grannyrule Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2017 at 2:34pm
Starts away to Sheffield Wednesday today
The only way is up
GUFC_Andy View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GUFC_Andy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2017 at 7:11pm
Was impressive today apparently.

(Taken from the Wolves website)

Another among the big positives of the afternoon was the first start handed out to Connor Ronan, who was hugely impressive before having to come off with a knock in the second half.

'' I trust him and I have no fear in playing him, '' said Lambert.

'' It took me a milli-second to see how good he is.

'' With Enobakhare and a few others I can see a few in that group who can make the step up.

''Connors debut was one of the best I have seen in a long while. ''

Edited by GUFC_Andy - 02 Jan 2017 at 7:13pm
schillaci View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la
I love Scott HULK Hogan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote schillaci Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2017 at 7:40pm
A few quotes from Molieaux mix forum;

Even Sheffield Wednesday fans saying he was class today, on twitter. Sounds like he was really good.

Ronan is the exact type of player that I've longed to see in our midfield for years now. If we handle him correctly, he could be very special indeed in a couple of years time.

He's the kind of tidy player that would fit in nicely as a #10 IMV

Played off the left and right today, caused utter chaos and as Jerry Gill said he has a natural tendency to drift in-field. Could he be the No.10 we've craved since the beginning of time?

He sounded fantastic! His name was constantly on the comms and at just 18 he has to be the future.

Awesome debut from Ronan

Ronan's pacey forward play helped take the pressure off our defence

Edited by schillaci - 02 Jan 2017 at 7:52pm
Cathalthesmart View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cathalthesmart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2017 at 8:00pm
This guy is a serious talent, we talk about hype and all that but if your playing football at this level and at the age of 18 you must have a pretty high ceiling.
Hi Lads
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2017 at 8:28pm
Originally posted by Cathalthesmart Cathalthesmart wrote:

This guy is a serious talent, we talk about hype and all that but if your playing football at this level and at the age of 18 you must have a pretty high ceiling.

Ya what

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
rolo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2017 at 8:52pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Ya what

Means the ceiling to his potential is high.

Impossible to know that tho. Some ppl are getting a bit carried away.
"I'm off to see the Queen tomorrow too, don't forget that"
Cathalthesmart View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cathalthesmart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2017 at 9:25pm
Originally posted by rolo rolo wrote:

Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Ya what

Means the ceiling to his potential is high.

Impossible to know that tho. Some ppl are getting a bit carried away.

He is 18 and impressing in the championship, not often do we have this happen to one of our players. We have good reason to be excited.
Hi Lads
GUFC_Andy View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GUFC_Andy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2017 at 1:57pm
Coming on against Liverpool here
DeclanDaly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2017 at 2:14pm
Great for him, but I must say he looks very young. Somebody feed him.
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"
LHurlz View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LHurlz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2017 at 2:36pm
Looked lively when he came on, not afraid to get stuck in and works hard.  Plenty of time for the lad to fill out a bit too
DeclanDaly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2017 at 3:19pm
He's definitely got something with the ball at his feet. Pulled out a good crossfield pass and was unlucky not to send someone else clear with a throughball - which wasn't his fault. He's got a very light frame though. Hopefully he'll fill out in the next couple of years.
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic