Topic ClosedComments coming from Ireland Camp

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Comments coming from Ireland Camp
    Posted: 25 Mar 2009 at 8:43am
Richard Dunne:
Richard Dunne is keeping his fingers crossed Shay Given is fit to lay the foundation for the Republic of Ireland's big World Cup push.

The 29-year-old Manchester City defender has spent much of his international career to date playing in front of the goalkeeper, who is in line to win his 93rd senior cap against Bulgaria on Saturday.

However, having had the chance to work with the 32-year-old on a daily basis since his January move from Newcastle United to Manchester City, he knows just how important he could be for the double-header against the Bulgarians and reigning World Cup holders Italy four days later.

Given did not link up with the rest of his team-mates for training in Malahide yesterday after staying behind for treatment on a shoulder injury.

However, he is expected to arrive in Ireland today and has assured national boss Giovanni Trapattoni he will be fit to take his place in the team, and that would delight his club-mate.

Dunne said: 'He has done really well since he has come in. I don't think anyone has really been surprised - everyone knows how good he is.

'Obviously, he is a big loss for Newcastle - their fans and their players will know how good he was - and he has come in and just carried on.

'He is just doing the exact same things. Just the way he walks around and the confidence he gives off has been great for everyone.'

Given has been a rock for Ireland since making his senior international debut against Russia as a teenager in March 1996, and his continued good form will have a major say in Ireland's hopes of making it to South Africa 2010.

Victory against third-placed Bulgaria, who will be without injured star striker Dimitar Berbatov, would also establish a ten-point gap between two of the sides fancied to battle it out for second place behind the Italians when the draw was made.

It might not entirely kill off new coach Stanimir Stoilov's hopes, but would go a long way towards doing so.

Dunne said: 'We have still got to go to Italy, we have got to go to Bulgaria and we have got to go to Cyprus, so we know we have got tough games, and Bulgaria will feel they can pick up points.

'But it will hit them hard. Just to look at the table and to be ten points behind us, it will have an effect on them, hopefully.

'Hopefully it does put them out of it - but you never say never.'

Richard Dunne believes victory over Bulgaria on Saturday will have Republic of Ireland well on course for the 2010 World Cup.

The Irish face the Bulgarians at Croke Park on Saturday, before tackling Italy in Bari four days later.

The reigning World Champions are favourites to top Group Eight, with the rest left to battle it out for a runners-up spot.

Dunne accepts that will more than likely prove to be the case, making a weekend clash with Bulgaria all the more important.

Ireland and Italy are currently locked together at the summit, having taken 10 points from four games, while Bulgaria's challenge could be killed off in Dublin if they fail to build on the three points they have taken from their opening three fixtures.

"This is the bigger game, really," said the Manchester City defender.

"This is the one we have to win because when the group was drawn, I suppose everyone thought 'Italy are through and the rest can fight it out'.

Confidence

"We have to make sure Bulgaria are 10 points behind us come Sunday morning, and then we will go into the Italian game full of confidence.

"We believe within our own group that we can upset the Italians and we can take points from them as well."

Dunne believes Ireland are perfectly placed to reach their first major finals since the 2002 World Cup and is backing Giovanni Trapattoni's men to be among those competing for international glory in South Africa next summer.

"We have had big ones when we did actually qualify, but in recent times, this is as good an opportunity as we have and in that sense, the two games are massive.

"And this first one probably more so because if we can beat Bulgaria, it will hopefully get them out of the way and we can fight it out for top spot with Italy.

"The manager has been picking the strongest squad he possibly can and once we are all fit and everyone is free from suspension, we have got as good a chance as we have had for a long time."

Trap:
Trap pleased Berba is out

Republic of Ireland boss Giovanni Trapattoni is pleased Bulgaria will be without Dimitar Berbatov when the sides meet on Saturday.

Ireland tackle Bulgaria in a World Cup qualifier this weekend, but Berbatov will not be available for selection after picking up an ankle injury in Manchester United's 2-0 defeat to Fulham.

Experienced tactician Trapattoni knows Berbatov is a match-winner and that avoiding defeat will be crucial when the sides meet at Croke Park.

Ireland currently top Group 8 along with Italy in the race for places at the 2010 World Cup finals in South Africa, following a solid start to qualifying.

Creativity

"Players like that can get into the game in a split-second and turn it completely," he said of Berbatov. "For me, it is better they are out because they have the possibility to create.

"Berbatov is a very, very important player, but in my experience, you cannot afford to just think about one player.

"Bulgaria are a strong team and they have other strong players. We cannot think it is an easy game because they are missing Berbatov.

"They have other very, very important players. They have [Stiliyan] Petrov, [Ivelin] Popov, [Blagoy] Georgiev - they are very, very important players.

"But the most important thing is our mentality and our performance."

Trapattoni in confident mood

The Republic of Ireland boss has enjoyed a good start to next summer's campaign, helping his side secure 10 points in four games.

Level with reigning champions Italy at the top of the group, Trapattoni must now prepare for a double helping of Group 8 qualifiers against Bulgaria and his native country.

Confident of securing a place in next summer's finals, the veteran Italian concedes that a certain amount of luck will be required along the way.

Prospects

"I think we can make it, but we will also need some luck, both in our matches and in terms of fitness of our key players," he said.

"I can't tell you for sure that we will be there I'm afraid, but I am confident."

Ireland will lock horns with Italy in Bari in a game which could have a major impact on the outcome of Group 8.

Admitting that he is relishing coming up against his fellow countrymen, Trapattoni said: "I had many, many people contacting me after that draw was made, and they all told me the same: that it is not so important Ireland wins these games!

"Honestly though, I was very happy. I consider myself lucky to be facing Italy. It's an honour.

Proud

"It will be a strange situation for me because I am a proud Italian.

"But I am also a professional and very proud to be coach or the Irish national team so it will be no problem.

"But I do expect that I will be a little emotional when the national anthems are played."

< =text/> a.top_betting_link_1 {background-image: url('/Images/skysports/fixturecal/icons/fix-bet.gif');background-repeat:no-repeat;background-position:0% 50%;padding-left:18px;}
Sponsored Links

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic