You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Climate Change Apocalypse

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 10>
Author
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2022 at 9:26am
Originally posted by Artie Ziff Artie Ziff wrote:

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2022/jul/30/total-climate-meltdown-inevitable-heatwaves-global-catastrophe?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Other

I have never seen anything like it. In London there's been no rain of note this calendar year. The grass is as yellow as straw albeit upright and trees are shedding millions of leaves as if it was September.  Farmers all across Europe are seeing yields dramatically drop with up to half of the crops ruined with more heatwaves to come in August.

The speed of change is terrifying.
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.
notpropaganda73 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote notpropaganda73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2022 at 9:55am
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Some lad on Prime time last night saying the agriculture sector is destroying the planet and we should stop eating meat and dairy and all go on a plant based diet.

I like George Monbiot, he's been banging the drum for a long time now. He has his view on the plant based stuff and the agriculture sector, I've followed him for a long long time and he's been right more often than not to be honest. But in terms of Ireland we have pretty good farming practices in terms of sustainability and impact, could we do more, yes absolutely - but when the country is such a shambles in terms of infrastructure with water wastage and all the rest, I really think we have easier targets in terms of "quick wins" for climate than going after the farmers all the time. 

Regardless you should all read David Wallace Wells - The Uninhabitable Earth. This summer seems to have been a wake-up call for some but it's much worse than most think. The opening of the book is called Cascades and he summarises how all of these events are a feedback loop, so it will get worse and it will happen faster and faster. He has a line in the book where he says something like "this sounds hysterical, but the facts are hysterical". He also talks about how clean water is going to be a huge issue - we really take it for granted. It's a pretty tough read but he's still optimistic, or at least he was when he released the book in 2019. 

What frustrates me about Ireland when it comes to climate action is that we are such a small country we could very easily make very very quick progress but there is absolutely no ambition or political will to do so. It's most of our politicians and it's about everything really, not just climate, they're all terrified of big ideas. The Greens are led by a Dublin-centric eejit that alienates 80% of the electorate even though most of what he says in terms of the climate is true. And the others are all just concerned about their own ideologies and getting elected. There's no big picture. 

Edited by notpropaganda73 - 01 Aug 2022 at 9:59am
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2022 at 10:20am
ShockedHad this mad dream last night that the world was ending and we were being engulfed in fire and molten magma as the continental plates disintegrated
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
King_Kenny View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King_Kenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2022 at 11:16am
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

ShockedHad this mad dream last night that the world was ending and we were being engulfed in fire and molten magma as the continental plates disintegrated
sure you weren’t in holiday in larne?
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2022 at 11:27am
Originally posted by King_Kenny King_Kenny wrote:

Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

sure you weren’t in holiday in larne?

Close.  Newtownards actually.
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
MayoMark View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The NEW angrier Freewheeler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MayoMark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2022 at 10:26am
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2022/oct/27/climate-crisis-un-pathway-1-5-c

It's like all of society are sleepwalking over a cliff. 
They finally did it man... They killed my f**kin' car...
thebronze14 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Derry City Til I Die

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thebronze14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2022 at 11:56am
Yeah it's depressing. When you hear something like Saudi Arabia hosting an Asian Winter Games in the desert you begin to think what's the point. https://olympics.nbcsports.com/2022/10/04/saudi-arabia-asian-winter-games-2029/#:~:text=Saudi%20Arabia%20will%20host%20the,round%20ski%20resort%20by%202026.

Read somewhere before that the artifical ski resort used as much energy in a day as the whole city of Manchester does in a day. Can't find the article but it was depressing too. Will continue to do my bit but anything we do here just feels like pissing into the wind. The most important thing I suppose for us is protection of native wildlife and fauna etc and protecting endangered species of birds/animals/insects. 
B6 6HE View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B6 6HE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2022 at 12:09pm
B6 6HE View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B6 6HE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2022 at 12:33pm
Originally posted by bhob bhob wrote:

People always think climate change is what's going to do us in. Over population is the biggest issue the planet faces.

As Hoskins says 2.3billion people increase by 2050 is just insane.

Can't wait to hear Plannings thoughts on this. I'm sure they'll be well informed and educational as always.

In the short term only 

Long term, an under supply of young Labour is the planets biggest problem especially as te developing workd embrace contraception, they'll have a huge elderly population with a much too labour supply.

MayoMark View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The NEW angrier Freewheeler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MayoMark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2022 at 12:43pm
Originally posted by thebronze14 thebronze14 wrote:

Yeah it's depressing. When you hear something like Saudi Arabia hosting an Asian Winter Games in the desert you begin to think what's the point. https://olympics.nbcsports.com/2022/10/04/saudi-arabia-asian-winter-games-2029/#:~:text=Saudi%20Arabia%20will%20host%20the,round%20ski%20resort%20by%202026.

Read somewhere before that the artifical ski resort used as much energy in a day as the whole city of Manchester does in a day. Can't find the article but it was depressing too. Will continue to do my bit but anything we do here just feels like pissing into the wind. The most important thing I suppose for us is protection of native wildlife and fauna etc and protecting endangered species of birds/animals/insects. 

You can only do your best. But your habits and our habits dictate the market. Do your own bit for nature in your garden. Let your grass grow, critters love it  
They finally did it man... They killed my f**kin' car...
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2022 at 1:36pm
I think the weather changes for us will be fairly moderate, a few heatwaves in summer of storms in winter, we can probably handle.

The biggest secondary impact we'll see in Ireland in our lifetime will be the continued migration North. So much of the world between the tropics are becoming more and more inhabitable as there's no water and nothing will grow, can't sustain life. Net effect is boatload of migrants having to come across to Europe and will end up living in Ireland, adding to our housing crisis. Whenever you hear Americans/Trump complain about migrants coming across from Mexico, Climate Change is likely the original trigger
B6 6HE View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B6 6HE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2022 at 1:57pm
Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

I think the weather changes for us will be fairly moderate, a few heatwaves in summer of storms in winter, we can probably handle.

The biggest secondary impact we'll see in Ireland in our lifetime will be the continued migration North. So much of the world between the tropics are becoming more and more inhabitable as there's no water and nothing will grow, can't sustain life. Net effect is boatload of migrants having to come across to Europe and will end up living in Ireland, adding to our housing crisis. Whenever you hear Americans/Trump complain about migrants coming across from Mexico, Climate Change is likely the original trigger

Labour needed to sustain our pension provision 

Huge brain drain from developing world.
Artie Ziff View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Artie Ziff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2022 at 3:56am
The Brazilian election is on Sunday. Bolsonaro wins and it's another disaster to go along with the war in Ukraine and every other one. 

We dead

It would damage this forums' reputation
Green Cockade View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Cockade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2022 at 5:54am
He will not win. He will lose and follow the Trump playbook, claiming the election was rigged. Like Trump, he has already claimed that that is the only way he can possibly lose and he has likewise undermined trust in democracy with this and other disinformation. His supporters are heavily armed due to him relaxing gun laws and he has a lot of muscle in the military who may well back him. Biden and other world leaders will move quickly to congratulate Lula but expect some carnage. Dry run for the USA mid-terms in just over a week’s time in many ways.
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2022 at 9:35am
We're sleeping towards disaster, much like the way Joe Biden is (literally) falling asleep in the middle of interviews and meetings with other world leaders.
thebronze14 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Derry City Til I Die

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thebronze14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2022 at 7:07pm
Originally posted by MayoMark MayoMark wrote:

Originally posted by thebronze14 thebronze14 wrote:

You can only do your best. But your habits and our habits dictate the market. Do your own bit for nature in your garden. Let your grass grow, critters love it  
I would if I had oneLOL My other half is very environmentally conscious so I don't get away with much tbf!
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Artie Ziff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2022 at 9:48pm
Originally posted by Green Cockade Green Cockade wrote:

He will not win. He will lose and follow the Trump playbook, claiming the election was rigged. Like Trump, he has already claimed that that is the only way he can possibly lose and he has likewise undermined trust in democracy with this and other disinformation. His supporters are heavily armed due to him relaxing gun laws and he has a lot of muscle in the military who may well back him. Biden and other world leaders will move quickly to congratulate Lula but expect some carnage. Dry run for the USA mid-terms in just over a week’s time in many ways.

Bolsanaro has a tiny lead with about 60% of votes un. But Lula areas of strength are a lot of the uncounted votes. Squeaky bum time for the Amazon 

Edited by Artie Ziff - 30 Oct 2022 at 9:49pm
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Artie Ziff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2022 at 10:26pm
Lula 1% lead with close to 90% of the counts

Edited by Artie Ziff - 30 Oct 2022 at 10:26pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 10>
  Share Topic