Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Classic Rep Of Ireland

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1314151617 23>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2020 at 12:11am
These Match of the Days looking back at top 10s of everything are way better than regular Match of the Day
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Sponsored Links

Drumcondra 69er View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2020 at 12:11am
Originally posted by gspain gspain wrote:

Originally posted by Drumcondra 69er Drumcondra 69er wrote:

Originally posted by oldbilly oldbilly wrote:

that Irish side was very good, went toe to toe with a world football heavyweight at the time and matched them all night. Hands teams from 81 to 85 were great to watch in most games but that side of jacks was really strong. 

Ah Hand's team was pretty poor to watch post 82. The 84 and 86 qualifying campaigns were pretty grim bar the Swiss home game. They never really got over the disappointment of 82.

An excellent 1-0 win over the Soviets in 84 also.  Great start to the campaign but went wrong in Norway. 

Yes, of course. Really set us up well that campaign but wheels weren't long coming off. Remember watching Norway on TV as a kid and being gobsmacked how poor we were. They were considered minnows back then. 
Blog: A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: A False First XI
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2020 at 1:58am

that Irish side was very good, went toe to toe with a world football heavyweight at the time and matched them all night. Hands teams from 81 to 85 were great to watch in most games but that side of jacks was really strong. 

Ah Hand's team was pretty poor to watch post 82. The 84 and 86 qualifying campaigns were pretty grim bar the Swiss home game. They never really got over the disappointment of 82.

An excellent 1-0 win over the Soviets in 84 also.  Great start to the campaign but went wrong in Norway. 

Yes, of course. Really set us up well that campaign but wheels weren't long coming off. Remember watching Norway on TV as a kid and being gobsmacked how poor we were. They were considered minnows back then. 

Probably the first ireland game I can really remember watching. My dad and brothers slating McCarthy.  Think he had a nightmare that night.  
AKA pedantic kunt
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2020 at 8:45am
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

These Match of the Days looking back at top 10s of everything are way better than regular Match of the Day
YEah really enjoying them. It's one of the few formats that works in Lockdown. A lot of other shows I watch look awful
gspain View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gspain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2020 at 9:54am

Yes awful result.  An unfit Frank Stapleton shouldn't have played and I think Liam Brady was not fully fit either.  We were hammered by Denmark a month later.

Yiksheemash View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

I don't have a penis.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yiksheemash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2020 at 9:59am
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

Probably the first ireland game I can really remember watching. My dad and brothers slating McCarthy.  Think he had a nightmare that night.  

they were ahead of their time Clap
Drumcondra 69er View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2020 at 12:26pm

Yes awful result.  An unfit Frank Stapleton shouldn't have played and I think Liam Brady was not fully fit either.  We were hammered by Denmark a month later.

Then an awful scoreless draw at home to Norway which ruined my birthday that week! 😂

Missed the win against the Swiss which sparked a little bit of hope, think it was the Sunday of the June bank holiday and we were away camping for that weekend. Missed the two good games that campaign and saw the sh1te! 
Blog: A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: A False First XI
SUPERWESLEYHOOLAHAN View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SUPERWESLEYHOOLAHAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2020 at 2:54pm
Seen a bit more recently of Chris Morris, seen he got 35 caps in and around the Charlton years but never hear much about him compared to others. Was he highly rated at the time? Looked very comfortable vs the Italians and English
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2020 at 3:10pm
An able full back. I think sections of supporters who knew little of him at the time would have saw him as average but he performed well in green.

Think he got his last cap in 92 then I remember reading that he was included in McCarthys first squad in 96 which I found mad. Might have been the provisional squad as not sure he turned up for Micks first game.
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2020 at 3:19pm
Doesn't he make pasties now?
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2020 at 3:24pm
yeah Morris Cornish pasties and think he works for the FA
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Sharpshooter View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sharpshooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2020 at 4:00pm
Originally posted by Yiksheemash Yiksheemash wrote:

Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Originally posted by Yiksheemash Yiksheemash wrote:

standard of footall was terrible. find it very hard to watch. kinda takes the glamour off the whole golden generation thinking about 88 and 90. 
It's harder to watch now!

not a hope, i'd even debate with you that Euro 2016 performance was better than 88 or 90 due to the poor quality and standard of football back then. too many lads with rose tinted glasses of past players and teams.

It does annoy those with a grudge against older football cherry pick certain games and claim all football was sh*t back then.  The fact is Ireland were a well organised long ball side, its not pretty to watch buts its who they were, they were the Wimbledon/Stoke of international football.  I own a lot of the Italia 90 full matches on DVD and Ireland are often involved in the worst matches.  I'd much rather rewatch the games from Germany or Scotland's group than Group F of that World Cup.

The Champions League final between Liverpool and Spurs last year was dogsh*t, painful to watch, maybe in 20 years time young people will rewatch that and think all football in this era was sh*t too.

Edited by Sharpshooter - 24 May 2020 at 4:05pm
King_Kenny View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King_Kenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2020 at 4:23pm
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

Aye McCarthy was a bit of a cart horse . Terrible if exposed one on one. The way the team was set up protected him though!
gspain View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gspain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2020 at 4:43pm

Then an awful scoreless draw at home to Norway which ruined my birthday that week! 😂

Missed the win against the Swiss which sparked a little bit of hope, think it was the Sunday of the June bank holiday and we were away camping for that weekend. Missed the two good games that campaign and saw the sh1te! 

The famous yellow stripe across the front of the shirt.  One journalist said they should have been down the back of the shirt.  

Decent win and performance v the Swiss.  My main memory is of being absolutely frozen in the west upper in June.  May not have been that cold a day but always a cold stand.  Kevin Sheedy scored a cracker as well.   
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2020 at 9:07pm
Originally posted by SUPERWESLEYHOOLAHAN SUPERWESLEYHOOLAHAN wrote:

Seen a bit more recently of Chris Morris, seen he got 35 caps in and around the Charlton years but never hear much about him compared to others. Was he highly rated at the time? Looked very comfortable vs the Italians and English

When I was a baller back in the day, if you were muck or put in a dodgey cross you'd be mocked by your mates who'd call you Chris Morris.
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2020 at 11:14pm
Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

yeah Morris Cornish pasties and think he works for the FA

Hot cross buns no?

Oh I forgot he can't do crosses
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
JUICEBOMB View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JUICEBOMB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2020 at 12:43am
Originally posted by SUPERWESLEYHOOLAHAN SUPERWESLEYHOOLAHAN wrote:

Very comfortable in rumours aswel....
hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2020 at 1:06pm
Euro '88 night on RTE 2 next Saturday. Hour long Highlights of the Ireland  England game part of it. 

Edited by Denis Irwin - 07 Jun 2020 at 1:06pm
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1314151617 23>
  Share Topic