You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : League Of Ireland : Premier and First Division
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

City and Pats in the First Division

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnCearrbhach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: City and Pats in the First Division
    Posted: 26 Jun 2014 at 5:27pm
There's an article in the Examiner today saying the FAI confirmed to delegates at an EGM this week that City and Pats have registered interest in fielding B teams in the First Division next year.
Aithníonn ciaróg ciaróg eile.
Sponsored Links

PanteirA View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PanteirA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2014 at 7:39pm
This cant be good for a division that is f**ked already.
corkery View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corkery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2014 at 7:40pm
It would have to go to the fans at the next AGM. As a Cork shareholder, I'll be voting no.
'The younger generation as in 17 -25 are certainly gayer than their predecessors. I think they may cause the extinction of the human race with their activities.'- Baldrick
AnCearrbhach View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnCearrbhach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2014 at 7:49pm
Originally posted by corkery corkery wrote:

It would have to go to the fans at the next AGM. As a Cork shareholder, I'll be voting no.

Will this definitely go to a FORAS vote. I actually think it could be worth the investment but would prefer if the MSL would let us in instead but thats not going to happen. Losing too many taleted players from the dominant 19s.
PanteirA View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PanteirA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2014 at 7:54pm
How much is it costing Rovers to field a first division team? Why will you vote no Corkery? Im assuming its the cost of it
Doyler1993 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doyler1993 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2014 at 7:57pm
Think this will benefit both the league and those teams in the long run. Providing the step up from u19 to senior level and also help in producing better and younger players who may be lost after u19 and giving them competitive senior football at little risk. Cost is high but if they get one or two players out of it that go to england for a nice amount of money it will be worth it.
England are trying to get this brought into their system so cant see why it would be a bad thing here providing the clubs have the money to do it.
IT’S NO USE BOILING YOUR CABBAGE TWICE
corkery View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corkery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2014 at 8:02pm
Originally posted by PanteirA PanteirA wrote:

How much is it costing Rovers to field a first division team? Why will you vote no Corkery? Im assuming its the cost of it
I don't thing it helps the league at all. It's adding another mickey mouse club with no potential for a fan base into the league.

To answer the above question, yes it will go to a vote. The Munster Senior League will not allow League Of Ireland clubs into the league because they think Cork would just win it every year. That's what happen in the youth leagues, Cork City ruined them leagues.
'The younger generation as in 17 -25 are certainly gayer than their predecessors. I think they may cause the extinction of the human race with their activities.'- Baldrick
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnCearrbhach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2014 at 8:06pm

I don't thing it helps the league at all. It's adding another mickey mouse club with no potential for a fan base into the league.

To answer the above question, yes it will go to a vote. The Munster Senior League will not allow League Of Ireland clubs into the league because they think Cork would just win it every year. That's what happen in the youth leagues, Cork City ruined them leagues.

To be fair a cork city b team will attract bigger crowds than most junior or intermediate clubs that could join. I'm not saying its the better option I do however believe it will benefit City whether or not it will help or hinder the league I don't know.
corkery View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corkery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2014 at 8:10pm
Originally posted by AnCearrbhach AnCearrbhach wrote:

To be fair a cork city b team will attract bigger crowds than most junior or intermediate clubs that could join. I'm not saying its the better option I do however believe it will benefit City whether or not it will help or hinder the league I don't know.
To be fair, I'll be open to all sides on the issue and may consider changing my opinion. About a third of Cobh's support are Cork City fans. Looks like they'd be in big trouble.
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnCearrbhach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2014 at 8:15pm

Originally posted by AnCearrbhach AnCearrbhach wrote:

To be fair, I'll be open to all sides on the issue and may consider changing my opinion. About a third of Cobh's support are Cork City fans. Looks like they'd be in big trouble.

Likewise could vote either way. Funnily enough a cork derby even against the reserves may increase interest in Cobh
Saint Tom View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saint Tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2014 at 8:33pm
Will we all be handed glamour friendlies to cover the cost a la rovers? Wouldn't hold my breath
My destination inchicore my next stop being kilmainham
Where patriots and super saints are the topics of conversation
saintjoey View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saintjoey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2014 at 8:45pm
Not sure Id be a fan of this, I know bucko wants it but personally I think its a waste of money
Doyler1993 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doyler1993 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2014 at 9:18pm
Originally posted by saintjoey saintjoey wrote:

Not sure Id be a fan of this, I know bucko wants it but personally I think its a waste of money
Do you not think it would provide a better opportunity for young players to come through the set up and provide them with crucial senior experiance with little risk for the club as results will not be that important to a certain extent instead of them being released after u19. If one of these players becomes decent and an english club comes in for them the money will be made back quick enough. 
IT’S NO USE BOILING YOUR CABBAGE TWICE
corkery View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corkery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2014 at 9:25pm
We could have a very likely scenario where Rovers, Pats and Cork finish in the top three. That would mean the fourth team would go up and fifth would play sixth for the play off.
PanteirA View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PanteirA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2014 at 9:43pm

We could have a very likely scenario where Rovers, Pats and Cork finish in the top three. That would mean the fourth team would go up and fifth would play sixth for the play off.
Just imagine how ridiculous that would be. In the longer term it wont do much for football in Ireland but it has its advantages for the clubs doing it. How much euros are we talking about anyone ?
Saint Tom View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saint Tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2014 at 10:41pm
Rovers budgeted €80 k a year afaik
My destination inchicore my next stop being kilmainham
Where patriots and super saints are the topics of conversation
starryplough View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote starryplough Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2014 at 11:30pm
Originally posted by Saint Tom Saint Tom wrote:

Will we all be handed glamour friendlies to cover the cost a la rovers? Wouldn't hold my breath

I wondered how long before the big bad Rovers got blamed for this. Try get a few fans, become an attraction and you might get selected some time in the future petal
Some Clubs Are Bigger Than Others
Madferret View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Madferret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2014 at 12:52am

The First Division "Affiliation" fee is €10k PanteirA, and I believe the total per annum cost is short of €100k. But there are some economies of scale savings (admin, training, etc) and we are allowed utilise 4 players from the Premier squad (Incl GK) to play for the First Division side. This has meant that players such as Sheppard & Bayly have got regular game time they might not otherwise have got without there being any additional cost to the club for those 4 players.

I would think at some stage there will have to be some limit on the amount of Premier Division clubs that can field second teams because the additional expense incurred in travel & other costs for First Division clubs who don't have a Premier "parent" team will eventually become prohibitive. And I wouldn't like that to be at the expense of long standing clubs like Cobh & Finn Harps.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic