Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Chris Hughton

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 17>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2019 at 11:44am
No they spent £60m in the 17/18 season and £80m in the 18/19 season.

Only £12m recouped from sales.

I think it's all gone rather stale at Brighton, it was probably best they parted company (from both sides) imo.

I wouldn't be shouting from the roof tops that Brighton are a shoe in to get relegated next season as some suggest, just because Houghton is gone either.

Sponsored Links

Dalymount79 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dalymount79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2019 at 11:46am
The expectations at the club are incremental improvements year and year. The 2019 results suggest that’s not happening so the risk for the club so stick and see what happens first 2 / 3 months next season or twist and bring some be in.

Harsh on CH.... third lowest spenders suggests the expectation should be a little lower. 

I couldn’t name more than 5 players at the club.

Stevie G has got to be the answer after that swashbuckling performance from his team yesterday.

pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2019 at 11:48am
Originally posted by Dalymount79 Dalymount79 wrote:

The expectations at the club are incremental improvements year and year. The 2019 results suggest that’s not happening so the risk for the club so stick and see what happens first 2 / 3 months next season or twist and bring some be in.

Harsh on CH.... third lowest spenders suggests the expectation should be a little lower. 

I couldn’t name more than 5 players at the club.

Stevie G has got to be the answer after that swashbuckling performance from his team yesterday.

They would be down by November.LOL
coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2019 at 11:53am
Those "I hope they go down next season" posts are extremely petty and childish its unreal LOL

Brighton a well-run club so there's no lunacy behind the logic. 
What Chris has done with Glenn Murray has been nothing short of incredible and they won twice in the M25 derby, unfortunately it's about the only positives they've had this season.

They need a man much more experienced than Graham Potter if they want to stay up however.
Drumcondra 69er View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2019 at 12:04pm
Originally posted by Green Devil Green Devil wrote:

No they spent £60m in the 17/18 season and £80m in the 18/19 season.

Only £12m recouped from sales.

I think it's all gone rather stale at Brighton, it was probably best they parted company (from both sides) imo.

I wouldn't be shouting from the roof tops that Brighton are a shoe in to get relegated next season as some suggest, just because Houghton is gone either.

Says £54m and £58m on soccerbase, none of those, transfer sites are entirely accurate. There's another one transfer history site showing €22.5m for Aleš Matějů rather than the £2m he cost. Either way, he was operating on a very low budget and finished around where that budget should. 
Blog: A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: A False First XI
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2019 at 12:18pm
The handicap table is normally a reasonably good guide to see how a manager did compared to expectations.

1. Liverpool (+7) 104 pts
J2. Man City (+0) 98 pts
J2 Watford (+48) 98 pts
4. Crystal Palace (+44) 93 pts
J5 Leicester (+39) 91 pts
J5 West Ham ( +39) 91 pts
7 Bournemouth (+45) 90 pts
8 Newcastle (+44) 89 pts
9 Everton ( +34) 88 pts
J10 Arsenal (+17) 87 pts
J10 Wolves (+40) 87 pts
J10 Cardiff (+53) 87 pts
J13 Chelsea (+13) 85 pts
J13 Burnley (+45) 85 pts
15 Spurs (+13) 84 pts
16 Brighton (+45) 81 pts
17 Southampton (+41) 80 pts
18 Man Utd (+10) 75 pts
19. Fulham ( +48) 74 pts
20 'uddersfield (+52) 68 pts
niallmc View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote niallmc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2019 at 12:45pm
Originally posted by nvidic nvidic wrote:

Hope they get relegated, same as Ipswich after Mick was forced out

Was thinking the same thing.
Bob Hoskins View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Hoskins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2019 at 1:05pm
someone posted up 3 wins from 23. Big risk to stick with a manager that might have a terrible start. 

Southampton and Watford have sacked managers and it hasn't done them any harm. If it goes well the board are geniuses, if it doesn't it's sack the board
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.
Drumcondra 69er View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2019 at 2:01pm
Originally posted by Bob Hoskins Bob Hoskins wrote:

someone posted up 3 wins from 23. Big risk to stick with a manager that might have a terrible start. 

Southampton and Watford have sacked managers and it hasn't done them any harm. If it goes well the board are geniuses, if it doesn't it's sack the board

Also got them to a cup semi in that time and did enough to keep them up with draws when it counted. 

I've always thought that a poor half a season isn't long enough to sack a manager who's done well for four years before that. Should have enough credit in the bank to work to turn it round during the transfer window. Clubs generally finish close to where they are on the budget list and he achieved that. 
Blog: A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: A False First XI
Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2019 at 2:11pm
Not just at Brighton, but it seems to me that a lot of clubs have developed "Leicester Syndrome".
Leicesters league win seems to raised unachievable expectations within the hierarchy of historically ranked middle to lower level clubs.
Survival in the EPL should be seen as success for Brighton. Look how much money Fulham spent and where they ended up.

It could be that he has reached his shelf life at Brighton and a new challange might do him good.

Wonder what Stephen Kenny makes of it all ?

Edited by Cabra Hoop - 13 May 2019 at 2:14pm
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
Given's zimmerframe View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Given's zimmerframe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2019 at 3:12pm
he will join a championship club, get them promoted to the prem, keep them up, then get the boot.
AonSceal19 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AonSceal19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2019 at 4:13pm
Originally posted by Bob Hoskins Bob Hoskins wrote:

Wolves did hold on to McCarthy after a dreadful end to the season and they finished bottom the following season. Interesting to see how Brighton do next season. I like Hughton but let’s be honest the Premier League has really benefited from the modern attacking managers like Nuno, Howe, Hassenhuttl and Garcia. The less of the likes of Pardew, Allardyce, Moyes, Warnock, Hughes, Hodgson and Pulis the better in my eyes. 
“Randolph sends it long…and Shane Long is in behind the German defence… Shane Long against Neuer…. 1-0!.. What a moment!”
NewtNewbie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewtNewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2019 at 4:16pm
An excellent manager and one of the sport's true gentlemen, but what impressed me most about Hughton is finding out that he had a regular column in The News Line in the 1970s. What a cool guy!
greenlad View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greenlad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2019 at 5:01pm
He'd do well up at celtic, get a couple of years winning trophies and gain some European experience
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2019 at 5:07pm
Originally posted by NewtNewbie NewtNewbie wrote:

An excellent manager and one of the sport's true gentlemen, but what impressed me most about Hughton is finding out that he had a regular column in The News Line in the 1970s. What a cool guy!
Was it not the ‘Morning Star’? Either way, much respect! 

Bham_McDermott View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bham_McDermott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2019 at 6:22pm
West Brom
I don't agree with THAT, in the workplace!
CillDara View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CillDara Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2019 at 6:42pm
Probably bad news for Jayson Molumby who Hughton seemed to be a fan of. Hopefully whoever they get in is not afraid of giving young players a chance and likes both Molumby and Connolly.
DUBLIN DOC View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
The F The F The FAI

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DUBLIN DOC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2019 at 6:43pm
Originally posted by gmfc90 gmfc90 wrote:

Won 3 games in 23 and apparently it's a bad decision. Didn't even hit 40 points.
Eh correct me if I’m wrong here but his remit would have been to secure premier football for next season, CHECK
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 17>
  Share Topic