You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Chris Hughton
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login


Chris Hughton

 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1213141516>
Author
Message
John Nice View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la
Avatar

Joined: 10 Sep 2021
Location: Wexford
Status: Offline
Points: 523
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2021 at 9:05pm

Doherty is arguably third choice at Tottenham. He started against Rennes tonight but I doubt he'd be in consideration if they were in the CL.
[/QUOTE]

Ah to be fair, I think when Doherty's at it, he's a better attacking full back than Tanganga will ever be. He looks more like an average centre back to me. No idea if the lad they signed from Barca is any good, but Matt's a very good wing back and he played very well over the last 3 despite obvious fitness issues. He is absolutely part of the solution, but he should move on from Spurs if he doesnt get a fair crack.
Idah Dream!
Back to Top
Sponsored Links


Back to Top
B6 6HE View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane
Avatar

Joined: 25 Aug 2021
Status: Offline
Points: 337
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B6 6HE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2021 at 9:16pm
Back to Top
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady


Joined: 21 Feb 2014
Status: Offline
Points: 2123
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2021 at 9:24pm
Originally posted by B6 6HE B6 6HE wrote:

Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:



Here here

Kenny must have ridden someone you love. 


Back to Top
John Nice View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la
Avatar

Joined: 10 Sep 2021
Location: Wexford
Status: Offline
Points: 523
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2021 at 9:35pm
Originally posted by Sham157 Sham157 wrote:

Originally posted by John Nice John Nice wrote:




I hate to break it to you, but these right now are absolutely our worst times, perhaps ever, but certainly since I was a nipper in the 70s (and we had better players then) and I'm 50 odd now. Right now, we are imo at our lowest ebb, nothing that went before comes close, we have won 3 competitive fixtures since 1 November 2017, 2 against Gibralter, which is basically a Rock and 1 scarcely deserved victory vs Georgia. Kenny is trying to lift us from rock bottom and there are some small signs that he is making progress, but it will be a slow tortuous process. Maybe he's not the right man for the job, but the position we find ourselves in is absolutely not his fault.

Fwiw, I agree that the performance vs Luxembourg was very poor, but expectations were also too high given the respective sides records over the previous 3 years, I'm not trying to enhance their reputation, far from it, I'm simply telling it like it is based on pure hard facts. What I'm trying to do is inject a cold dose of reality in to the conversation. Nobody is shrugging at the position we are in, nobody is happy about it, but the truth is, as borne out by the last 4 years, we have actually sunk to a level where Luxembourg's record over that time period is better than ours. They have more players playing Champions League football and we are at a stage where we only had 4 starters, only 3 of whom completed 90 minutes in the PL at the weekend, all 4 were defenders, one is 33 in October, one is pushing 32 and the other was making his PL debut (green shoots!), We have no players at CL level clubs, bar a #2 goalkeeper and arguably a 2nd choice right wing back. Wishing it wasnt so or "expecting to win games" wont simply make that go away. 

Advocate for whoever you want as the next manager but be clear on one thing, this current Irish squad is no better than Luxembourg no matter the manager. It wasnt better than Georgia in the last campaign either. It will be a long road back but I'm optimistic that we have a lot of good young players coming through - we need to acknowledge how far we have sunk and realise that patience is key if we are going to work our way back up the ladder.
This is a cracking postClap Not one I expect the head in the sand brigade to accept however, but a well worded, well argued and reasoned response. Some of the kenny out lot would do well to appreciate it, if not for the points made as such, but how to actually make a point without spamming threads

Thanks for the kudos men. Long time lurker, but some of the poorly considered criticism of Kenny in the aftermath of the last 3 games, where for the first time in years I felt we had played a bit of decent football, provoked me to sign up to try and lay out a few unpalatable home truths about where we are at right now. We dont have a starting midfielder or attacker in the top flight. The much maligned Jeff Hendrick is still our best midfielder and Connolly, who was absolutely lambasted despite being our biggest attacking threat over the course of the minutes he managed to play. is probably our best attacking/scoring prospect. He's 21 ffs, sure he wasn't great and yes he made some poor decisions over the 2 games, but he was about to put the ball in the net for a 2-0 lead away to Portugal when he was shoved in the back for what to me was a clear penalty and probably a red for Cancelo. He'd probably have been a hero but for that, which shows just how fickle some fans are. He also created 2 of the best chances of the game vs Azerbaijan in the first half. All this despite not particularly playing well, to me he just looked like a young lad trying too hard, I certainly wouldn't be hanging him for that. He's pacey, direct, he attacks the box and he annoys defenders. I'll repeat he is 21 with less than 50 senior appearances under his belt, many as a sub. Idah was excellent over the three games despite wilting understandably in the 2nd half vs Serbia. He's just 20, with less than 50 senior games also and he already looks a decent hold up striker. On that evidence, I think he will make his way in to the Norwich first team this season - Pukki isnt getting any younger and doesnt look the player he was a couple of seasons ago.

I have no problem with people having an opinion on Kenny's tenure, but this simplistic 1 win in 16 bullsh*t is annoying. We have had a number of creditable performances along the way and he has had to cope with a myriad of misfortune when it comes to squad selection. If Browne puts the ball in the net vs Slovakia, if the referee does his job vs Portugal etc. I can see quite clearly what himself and Barry are trying to do, I like the plan, but fear the players might just not be quite ready to deliver, especially in front of goal. It will come if we have patience imo - Kenny and the players need a couple of results to go their way now, I hope it happens - reverting to the likes of Hughton would be a backward step. I'd much prefer to see Kenny get the results he needs over the next few games, it wont be easy, but the team is improving, a discernible pattern of play is emerging and the schedule is a bit less hectic over the next 2 windows. Here's hoping!
Idah Dream!
Back to Top
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Avatar
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Joined: 18 Sep 2008
Location: Ireland
Status: Offline
Points: 28702
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2021 at 9:42pm
Originally posted by Banjaxed Banjaxed wrote:

Originally posted by B6 6HE B6 6HE wrote:

Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:



Here here

Kenny must have ridden someone you love. 



The examiner has been running an anti Kenny agenda recently.   Not sure what happened Liam Mackey did he retire
Or what but he is missed from the examiner.   Fallon and Mallon have both written terrible pieces recently in the examiner. 
AKA pedantic kunt
Back to Top
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Avatar

Joined: 25 Jan 2010
Location: Leafy G4
Status: Offline
Points: 34619
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2021 at 9:45pm
Originally posted by John Nice John Nice wrote:

Originally posted by Sham157 Sham157 wrote:

Originally posted by John Nice John Nice wrote:




I hate to break it to you, but these right now are absolutely our worst times, perhaps ever, but certainly since I was a nipper in the 70s (and we had better players then) and I'm 50 odd now. Right now, we are imo at our lowest ebb, nothing that went before comes close, we have won 3 competitive fixtures since 1 November 2017, 2 against Gibralter, which is basically a Rock and 1 scarcely deserved victory vs Georgia. Kenny is trying to lift us from rock bottom and there are some small signs that he is making progress, but it will be a slow tortuous process. Maybe he's not the right man for the job, but the position we find ourselves in is absolutely not his fault.

Fwiw, I agree that the performance vs Luxembourg was very poor, but expectations were also too high given the respective sides records over the previous 3 years, I'm not trying to enhance their reputation, far from it, I'm simply telling it like it is based on pure hard facts. What I'm trying to do is inject a cold dose of reality in to the conversation. Nobody is shrugging at the position we are in, nobody is happy about it, but the truth is, as borne out by the last 4 years, we have actually sunk to a level where Luxembourg's record over that time period is better than ours. They have more players playing Champions League football and we are at a stage where we only had 4 starters, only 3 of whom completed 90 minutes in the PL at the weekend, all 4 were defenders, one is 33 in October, one is pushing 32 and the other was making his PL debut (green shoots!), We have no players at CL level clubs, bar a #2 goalkeeper and arguably a 2nd choice right wing back. Wishing it wasnt so or "expecting to win games" wont simply make that go away. 

Advocate for whoever you want as the next manager but be clear on one thing, this current Irish squad is no better than Luxembourg no matter the manager. It wasnt better than Georgia in the last campaign either. It will be a long road back but I'm optimistic that we have a lot of good young players coming through - we need to acknowledge how far we have sunk and realise that patience is key if we are going to work our way back up the ladder.
This is a cracking postClap Not one I expect the head in the sand brigade to accept however, but a well worded, well argued and reasoned response. Some of the kenny out lot would do well to appreciate it, if not for the points made as such, but how to actually make a point without spamming threads

Thanks for the kudos men. Long time lurker, but some of the poorly considered criticism of Kenny in the aftermath of the last 3 games, where for the first time in years I felt we had played a bit of decent football, provoked me to sign up to try and lay out a few unpalatable home truths about where we are at right now. We dont have a starting midfielder or attacker in the top flight. The much maligned Jeff Hendrick is still our best midfielder and Connolly, who was absolutely lambasted despite being our biggest attacking threat over the course of the minutes he managed to play. is probably our best attacking/scoring prospect. He's 21 ffs, sure he wasn't great and yes he made some poor decisions over the 2 games, but he was about to put the ball in the net for a 2-0 lead away to Portugal when he was shoved in the back for what to me was a clear penalty and probably a red for Cancelo. He'd probably have been a hero but for that, which shows just how fickle some fans are. He also created 2 of the best chances of the game vs Azerbaijan in the first half. All this despite not particularly playing well, to me he just looked like a young lad trying too hard, I certainly wouldn't be hanging him for that. He's pacey, direct, he attacks the box and he annoys defenders. I'll repeat he is 21 with less than 50 senior appearances under his belt, many as a sub. Idah was excellent over the three games despite wilting understandably in the 2nd half vs Serbia. He's just 20, with less than 50 senior games also and he already looks a decent hold up striker. On that evidence, I think he will make his way in to the Norwich first team this season - Pukki isnt getting any younger and doesnt look the player he was a couple of seasons ago.

I have no problem with people having an opinion on Kenny's tenure, but this simplistic 1 win in 16 bullsh*t is annoying. We have had a number of creditable performances along the way and he has had to cope with a myriad of misfortune when it comes to squad selection. If Browne puts the ball in the net vs Slovakia, if the referee does his job vs Portugal etc. I can see quite clearly what himself and Barry are trying to do, I like the plan, but fear the players might just not be quite ready to deliver, especially in front of goal. It will come if we have patience imo - Kenny and the players need a couple of results to go their way now, I hope it happens - reverting to the likes of Hughton would be a backward step. I'd much prefer to see Kenny get the results he needs over the next few games, it wont be easy, but the team is improving, a discernible pattern of play is emerging and the schedule is a bit less hectic over the next 2 windows. Here's hoping!


We might never come out of this slump.  The LOI will never be a strong enough league to feed the national team players.  We now can't export to England either with the Brexit rules or whatever it is.   Thank God I was alive and can remember the Charlton Years. 
Well the Germans beat them 13-0 and the Czechs beat them 7-0 so that suggests they are tightening things up at the back

Back to Top
John Nice View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la
Avatar

Joined: 10 Sep 2021
Location: Wexford
Status: Offline
Points: 523
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2021 at 9:46pm
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

Originally posted by Banjaxed Banjaxed wrote:

Originally posted by B6 6HE B6 6HE wrote:

Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:



Here here

Kenny must have ridden someone you love. 



The examiner has been running an anti Kenny agenda recently.   Not sure what happened Liam Mackey did he retire
Or what but he is missed from the examiner.   Fallon and Mallon have both written terrible pieces recently in the examiner. 

Well Kenny is not from Cork, nor has he ever managed in the premier league so what would you expect!
Idah Dream!
Back to Top
John Nice View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la
Avatar

Joined: 10 Sep 2021
Location: Wexford
Status: Offline
Points: 523
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2021 at 9:53pm

We might never come out of this slump.  The LOI will never be a strong enough league to feed the national team players.  We now can't export to England either with the Brexit rules or whatever it is.   Thank God I was alive and can remember the Charlton Years. 
[/QUOTE]

Thats my greatest fear, and that is why now is the time to try and break this cycle of boring neandrethal football which is no longer working and attempt to build something sustainable. We have a lot of very good young lads in British academies currently and as you say, this may well become more difficult in future years. I have no faith in the FAI's ability (or finances) to put in place the necessary academy resources here in Ireland to fill that void.
Idah Dream!
Back to Top
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Avatar

Joined: 25 Jan 2010
Location: Leafy G4
Status: Offline
Points: 34619
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2021 at 10:02pm
Originally posted by John Nice John Nice wrote:


We might never come out of this slump.  The LOI will never be a strong enough league to feed the national team players.  We now can't export to England either with the Brexit rules or whatever it is.   Thank God I was alive and can remember the Charlton Years. 

Thats my greatest fear, and that is why now is the time to try and break this cycle of boring neandrethal football which is no longer working and attempt to build something sustainable. We have a lot of very good young lads in British academies currently and as you say, this may well become more difficult in future years. I have no faith in the FAI's ability (or finances) to put in place the necessary academy resources here in Ireland to fill that void.
[/QUOTE]

Yeah but if Kenny is not the fault to our deep rooted problems, then he also isn't the solution as the system is not producing players and the players we do produce don't get opportunities in any decent club.  Playing decent attractive football at senior level is only the tip of the iceberg and actually doesn't fix anything.  He can' t polish a  turd.  Ireland needs to form a  Celtic League with Scotland , the North and Wales.   The LOI is going nowhere.  At least then our players would be exposed to greater competition and higher standard of opposition.

So the answer is probably a complete overhaul that will never happen or get in a quick fix manager to paper over the gaping wounds that is the EIRE footballing landscape.
Well the Germans beat them 13-0 and the Czechs beat them 7-0 so that suggests they are tightening things up at the back

Back to Top
John Nice View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la
Avatar

Joined: 10 Sep 2021
Location: Wexford
Status: Offline
Points: 523
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2021 at 10:08pm
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Originally posted by John Nice John Nice wrote:


We might never come out of this slump.  The LOI will never be a strong enough league to feed the national team players.  We now can't export to England either with the Brexit rules or whatever it is.   Thank God I was alive and can remember the Charlton Years. 

Thats my greatest fear, and that is why now is the time to try and break this cycle of boring neandrethal football which is no longer working and attempt to build something sustainable. We have a lot of very good young lads in British academies currently and as you say, this may well become more difficult in future years. I have no faith in the FAI's ability (or finances) to put in place the necessary academy resources here in Ireland to fill that void.


Yeah but if Kenny is not the fault to our deep rooted problems, then he also isn't the solution as the system is not producing players and the players we do produce don't get opportunities in any decent club.  Playing decent attractive football at senior level is only the tip of the iceberg and actually doesn't fix anything.  He can' t polish a  turd.  Ireland needs to form a  Celtic League with Scotland , the North and Wales.   The LOI is going nowhere.  At least then our players would be exposed to greater competition and higher standard of opposition.

So the answer is probably a complete overhaul that will never happen or get in a quick fix manager to paper over the gaping wounds that is the EIRE footballing landscape.
[/QUOTE]

I'm a glass half full kinda guy tbh, I'd prefer to die trying than resort to the "puke" football of the last 10 years. Develop an attractive style of play, promote young promising players, replicate it at underage levels, give it a lash, it cant be any worse than what we have had to endure in recent times, but for christs sake at least give it a chance, if it fails then so what, we just revert to type again and get a collective crick in our necks!
Idah Dream!
Back to Top
9fingers View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Avatar
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Joined: 30 Jan 2010
Status: Offline
Points: 13207
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2021 at 10:28pm
Originally posted by B6 6HE B6 6HE wrote:

Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:



Here here
The ybig echo chamber LOL keep it up lads, you’re doing great. Clap
Back to Top
Stickittotheman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady
Avatar

Joined: 15 Sep 2015
Status: Offline
Points: 2029
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stickittotheman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2021 at 10:32pm
Originally posted by John Nice John Nice wrote:

Originally posted by Stickittotheman Stickittotheman wrote:

Originally posted by John Nice John Nice wrote:

Originally posted by Stickittotheman Stickittotheman wrote:

What nonsense to suggest we shouldn't expect to beat Luxembourg at home. Is that where we are now under Kenny? I could never have dreamed we would fall so far in expectation. Shocking.

Explain to me why when the following is entirely true should we expect to beat Luxembourg? Because of our reputation? Because we should, so we should? because you just think we should? I certainly want us to have a squad that can beat Luxembourg comfortably, but we dont so we dont! What is nonsensical about the following? 7 Irish players played a combined 369 minutes of PL football at the weekend, 3 played the full 90, one is 33 in October, one is 19. You can bang on about expectations but there's a reality here that shouldnt be that difficult to grasp. We have been going backwards for years, other teams have been progressing, its that simple. We need to arrest the slide before it becomes terminal.

"Since the beginning of 2018 Luxembourg have recorded victories (11) (9 competitive/2 Friendlies) over Azerbaijan x 2, Cyprus, Montenegro, Lithuania, Moldova, San Marino x 2, Malta, Georgia and Ireland

Since the beginning of 2018, Ireland have recorded victories (7) (3 competitive/4 Friendlies) over Andorra, New Zealand, USA, Gibralter x 2, Georgia and Bulgaria

Now, I am certainly not claiming Luxembourg are Brazil - Are we back to the usual trite responses? Ireland have beaten nobody of any note since scraping a 1-0 victory away to Wales in October 2017 (That was a full 3 years before Kenny took charge btw). Luxembourg beat Hungary 2-1 in November 2017.

I dont think some people realise just how big a hole we were/are in - Kenny has begun the process of trying to extricate us from that hole, but it is going to take time. Whether or not he is the right man for the job who knows, but people should at least deal in facts when assessing where we are at and why. CLUE - Its not all Kennys fault and this didnt just happen when he took over the reins."

Luxembourg have some guys playing at a fairly decent level but also have others distinctly average. The same could be said for us of course but even in our worst times we never stooped to levels of not expecting or at least not questioning why we should not beat Luxembourg at home. The fact we lost that game is even more galling. The performance was extremely poor to boot. Of course we can lament our lack of talent but losing at home to Luxembourg is not acceptable. They are far from world beaters and despite valiant attempts to enhance their reputation on here it still to me is shocking that we are in a place where not beating then is shrugged at 

I hate to break it to you, but these right now are absolutely our worst times, perhaps ever, but certainly since I was a nipper in the 70s (and we had better players then) and I'm 50 odd now. Right now, we are imo at our lowest ebb, nothing that went before comes close, we have won 3 competitive fixtures since 1 November 2017, 2 against Gibralter, which is basically a Rock and 1 scarcely deserved victory vs Georgia. Kenny is trying to lift us from rock bottom and there are some small signs that he is making progress, but it will be a slow tortuous process. Maybe he's not the right man for the job, but the position we find ourselves in is absolutely not his fault.

Fwiw, I agree that the performance vs Luxembourg was very poor, but expectations were also too high given the respective sides records over the previous 3 years, I'm not trying to enhance their reputation, far from it, I'm simply telling it like it is based on pure hard facts. What I'm trying to do is inject a cold dose of reality in to the conversation. Nobody is shrugging at the position we are in, nobody is happy about it, but the truth is, as borne out by the last 4 years, we have actually sunk to a level where Luxembourg's record over that time period is better than ours. They have more players playing Champions League football and we are at a stage where we only had 4 starters, only 3 of whom completed 90 minutes in the PL at the weekend, all 4 were defenders, one is 33 in October, one is pushing 32 and the other was making his PL debut (green shoots!), We have no players at CL level clubs, bar a #2 goalkeeper and arguably a 2nd choice right wing back. Wishing it wasnt so or "expecting to win games" wont simply make that go away. 

Advocate for whoever you want as the next manager but be clear on one thing, this current Irish squad is no better than Luxembourg no matter the manager. It wasnt better than Georgia in the last campaign either. It will be a long road back but I'm optimistic that we have a lot of good young players coming through - we need to acknowledge how far we have sunk and realise that patience is key if we are going to work our way back up the ladder.

John your posts are really well written and I agree with some of your points. I don't agree though that because Luxembourg have a couple of guys playing European football that they are playing at a higher level. Many of the players play in average leagues- we fixate on having players in the Championship but that league is ranked 11th in the world. It is awash with money in many cases relative to some of the leagues the Luxembourg players are in. We also haad Josh Cullen in the Jupiler League ranked 12th. For me Chris Hughton would get a better tune out of what we have available. I have lost faith in the Kenny experiment. I dont see much progression overall. Kenny when he took over told us we could win games in a better way and that he was the man to do it. We just needed to believe in the ourselves more. We had one of the best back fives in Europe. It hasn't worked out at all for me. 


Edited by Stickittotheman - 16 Sep 2021 at 10:35pm
Walters coming back from an offside position but Shane Long was definitely onside- Shane Lonnggggggg.... has done it!!!!
Back to Top
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton


Joined: 16 Aug 2019
Location: London
Status: Online
Points: 3478
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2021 at 10:40pm
Originally posted by 9fingers 9fingers wrote:

Originally posted by B6 6HE B6 6HE wrote:

Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:



Here here
The ybig echo chamber LOL keep it up lads, you’re doing great. Clap

Maybe we could just create a new topic called the 'Kenny out echo chamber' where the loud minority of posters like B6 6HE can copy and paste the same garbage piffle they've been posting for months into and the rest of us can just ignore it.
Back to Top
9fingers View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Avatar
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Joined: 30 Jan 2010
Status: Offline
Points: 13207
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2021 at 10:51pm
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

Originally posted by 9fingers 9fingers wrote:

Originally posted by B6 6HE B6 6HE wrote:

Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:



Here here
The ybig echo chamber LOL keep it up lads, you’re doing great. Clap

Maybe we could just create a new topic called the 'Kenny out echo chamber' where the loud minority of posters like B6 6HE can copy and paste the same garbage piffle they've been posting for months into and the rest of us can just ignore it.
The same lads have spammed this forum so much they reckon they represent 50% of the fans, despite the 2 largest fans forums holding polls and both were 80-20 splits LOL
Back to Top
John Nice View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la
Avatar

Joined: 10 Sep 2021
Location: Wexford
Status: Offline
Points: 523
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2021 at 10:53pm
John your posts are really well written and I agree with some of your points. I don't agree though that because Luxembourg have a couple of guys playing European football that they are playing at a higher level. Many of the players play in average leagues- we fixate on having players in the Championship but that league is ranked 11th in the world. It is awash with money in many cases relative to some of the leagues the Luxembourg players are in. We also haad Josh Cullen in the Jupiler League ranked 12th. For me Chris Hughton would get a better tune out of what we have available. I have lost faith in the Kenny experiment. I dont see much progression overall. Kenny when he took over told us we could win games in a better way and that he was the man to do it. We just needed to believe in the ourselves more. We had one of the best back fives in Europe. It hasn't worked out at all for me. 
[/QUOTE]

I'm going to repeat a post again regarding the Luxembourg players. Note their 3 best players are 27, 26 and 24 with over 100 caps between them. I dont see Swansea or West Brom winning games in the Champions League Group stages regardless of how much they pay their players (which is a factor of the crowds they attract rather than the quality of the football) and lets not forget Irish players (sometimes English born) enjoy a significant advantage in accessing the English Leagues. Also a League overall can be better, but the best team in another League can be miles ahead of the best team in that league. I think I also provided a direct comparison of the number of competitive victories both Ireland and Luxembourg have achieved since late 2017 in another post and Luxembourg's results are demonstrably better.

"I did a bit of research just for all the lads who think we should be beating Luxembourg home and away, just because you know, history and all that. Their 3 key players are Seb Thill (27yo MF 38 caps - 3 goals)  who played 90 mins for Sheriff Tiraspol in their CL Group Stage victory over Shakhtar yesterday, Christopher Martins (24yo MF 46 caps- 1 goal) who played very well (I watched the game) in Young Boys 2-1 CL victory over Man United on Tuesday and Gerson Rodrigues (26yo MF/FW - 38 caps - 8 goals) who scored 7 in 38 (inc 2 in CL) for a Dinamo Kiev side who won the domestic double last season. He is now on loan at Troyes in Ligue Un.

Their keeper (42 caps) plays in the top flight in Belgium (as does our own Josh Cullen), while they have others playing in the top flights in Germany, Holland, Austria, the Ukraine (including Thill's younger brother) and one in the English Championship (squad player at Huddersfield)

I dont know whether its football snobbery or whether lads dont think football exists outside of England, but there's no reason on paper why we should automatically be beating such a team. Their players have a solid core of experience with 2 or 3 top quality players (arguably at a higher level than ours), while we have a very young team made up of a hotchpotch of PL squad players, and lads playing in the Championship, SPL and League One. Their FA has also been instrumental in putting together youth development programmes etc while our own has gone bust.

This is not an attempt to make excuses for Kenny but some lads need a serious injection of realism as regards where our squad is at currently - the rest of Europe e.g. Iceland, Luxembourg etc have been quietly progressing for quite some time, while we have been going backwards. It's time to arrest that slide and imo an old school pragmatic manager such as Hughton just isnt going to cut it any more. We might as well just have stuck with Mc Carthy if thats where we are going next."

Dont get me wrong, I'm not saying we should stick with Kenny necessarily, he needs a couple of results and performances over the next 3 competitive games (Qatar doesnt count for me as he should be giving lads in and around the fringes a chance in that one). If he doesnt get them, then fine, we go again, but in that circumstance I would prefer a younger manager with fresh ideas and preferably one who is going to look at the big picture for Irish football going forward and try and use his influence to deliver real progress at all levels. I doubt very much whether the likes of an Eddie Howe would be attainable, but he's the type of guy we should be looking towards imo.
Idah Dream!
Back to Top
zizu Kilbane View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Avatar

Joined: 23 Oct 2007
Location: Ireland
Status: Offline
Points: 7033
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zizu Kilbane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2021 at 10:54pm
If we're being clinical here, Lennon is a more successful coach then Hughton, and by a massive distance. You Tell Me was beating his 2 incher over Hughtons career but if we're going on club success, you can't look past Lennon in the list of candidates 
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"
Back to Top
John Nice View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la
Avatar

Joined: 10 Sep 2021
Location: Wexford
Status: Offline
Points: 523
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2021 at 10:59pm
Originally posted by zizu Kilbane zizu Kilbane wrote:

If we're being clinical here, Lennon is a more successful coach then Hughton, and by a massive distance. You Tell Me was beating his 2 incher over Hughtons career but if we're going on club success, you can't look past Lennon in the list of candidates 

And Michael O'Neill's record at international level surpasses both Smile I'd prefer him to either Hughton or Lennon, neither of whom are bad managers imo, I just dont see them as being the right fit for the project the next Irish manager (if Kenny has to go) will surely have to undertake/continue.
Idah Dream!
Back to Top
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady


Joined: 05 Sep 2010
Status: Offline
Points: 1812
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2021 at 11:18pm
Originally posted by zizu Kilbane zizu Kilbane wrote:

If we're being clinical here, Lennon is a more successful coach then Hughton, and by a massive distance. You Tell Me was beating his 2 incher over Hughtons career but if we're going on club success, you can't look past Lennon in the list of candidates 

A few issues with that post - firstly you're about seven inches off on the measurements there. But also, I wouldn't give any weight to Lennon's "achievements" in Scotland at all, winning cups and leagues when you have a bigger budget than all the other teams put together counts for nothing. As soon as Lennon had any realistic competition it all fell to pieces on him. Hughton's record is miles ahead of Lennon's, just with fewer trophies because he worked in a much stronger league.
Back to Top
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1213141516>
  Share Topic   

Forum Jump Forum Permissions View Drop Down

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.00
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd.