You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Chernobyl

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Chernobyl
    Posted: 01 May 2019 at 9:36am
Hear that word and what comes to mind?   Dundalk? Holyhead? Well its actually a new tv series about the nuclear disaster.  Normally I never watch tv drama box set type series but this looks like it might be somewhat interesting.  I don't have Sky Atlantic however so going to have to get it off Q Man on a dodgy dvd.Wink
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2019 at 11:01am
About 10 years ago I got lectured over a pint by a nuclear engineer about the causes of the disaster, and how it was entirely preventable, and a product of unbelievable mismanagement. People though still point to it as a reason to avoid using nuclear.
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2019 at 11:13am
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

About 10 years ago I got lectured over a pint by a nuclear engineer about the causes of the disaster, and how it was entirely preventable, and a product of unbelievable mismanagement. People though still point to it as a reason to avoid using nuclear.

It was 100% avoidable, they were doing a routine test of what would happen if there was a power outage but didn't follow the set checklist for it.

There was also design faults when initially building as they didn't factor in any emergency protocols for what eventually happened as they didn't think it would happen
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2019 at 11:15am
There would have been a ‘Chernobyl’ at Sellafield in 1957, it seems widespread disaster was prevented by an incredibly brave gamble by an employee.
I’m sure that nuclear scientists will tell you that they are safe, they probably are if things go smoothly, but the cancer rates in the areas near Sellafield can’t just be a coincidence. 
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2019 at 11:20am
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

There would have been a ‘Chernobyl’ at Sellafield in 1957, it seems widespread disaster was prevented by an incredibly brave gamble by an employee.
I’m sure that nuclear scientists will tell you that they are safe, they probably are if things go smoothly, but the cancer rates in the areas near Sellafield can’t just be a coincidence. 

Sellafield even as a word just sounds like a kip

Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2019 at 11:23am

But that’s the difference between proper management, even if it is considered a gamble, and what made the difference with Chernobyl.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2019 at 11:31am
It wouldn’t appear to have been proper management, based on the ‘hero of the hour’s’ account of it, although it did lead to proper management as a result.

It still doesn’t change the bizarre cancer statistics for Seascale, the closest village to Sellafield, or even in Louth and Armagh. Whether these statistics are as a result of a different kind of mismanagement, I don’t know, but something isn’t right.
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2019 at 11:51am
Workers on the site trying to contain the radiation can only hop in for 15 mins at a time then have to be changed over and hosed down etc. Madness. 

Our Planet were showing the works and the giant housing/arch that is going to cover the core to try further limit the leaks.

But insane that wild animals are starting to thrive in the area. 

Image result for our planet chernobyl
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2019 at 11:53am
There is also a community that returned to the exclusion zone not long after the disaster struck. Tourists (macabre as I believe such tourism can be) also are there regularly.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2019 at 12:00pm

There is also a community that returned to the exclusion zone not long after the disaster struck. Tourists (macabre as I believe such tourism can be) also are there regularly.
I read a weird, but wonderful, article about a stag party to Chernobyl that handled the whole thing in the best possible taste. 
LO SCIENZIATO View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Fucknut Of The Year

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LO SCIENZIATO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2019 at 12:40pm
Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

Workers on the site trying to contain the radiation can only hop in for 15 mins at a time then have to be changed over and hosed down etc. Madness. 

Our Planet were showing the works and the giant housing/arch that is going to cover the core to try further limit the leaks.

But insane that wild animals are starting to thrive in the area. 

Image result for our planet chernobyl

Jaysus Dalymount is looking well LOL
LO SCIENZIATO View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Fucknut Of The Year

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LO SCIENZIATO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2019 at 12:41pm
very interesting thread though. a new for YBIG Thumbs Up 
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2019 at 12:41pm

I read a weird, but wonderful, article about a stag party to Chernobyl that handled the whole thing in the best possible taste. 

Yep I read that not too long ago myself seems a mad place for a stag alright
thebronze14 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Derry City Til I Die

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thebronze14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2019 at 12:42pm
if ye find the article share it on here please
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2019 at 12:43pm
A stag in Chernobyl?LOL 

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2019 at 12:47pm
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2019 at 12:50pm
Originally posted by thebronze14 thebronze14 wrote:

if ye find the article share it on here please

This is the one

It's now behind a subscription wall though
The White Cafu View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The White Cafu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2019 at 12:50pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>
  Share Topic