You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Chelsea

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 126127128129130 131>
Author
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote williemc83 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2022 at 6:26pm
Originally posted by Territorial Territorial wrote:

Originally posted by doherty doherty wrote:

Who would be a manager today though. Yes you get piles of money but with the stress and the short time you get its getting to be impossible almost. Your never going to get legendary status like coaches of the past again. Win the Champions League now its like so what your sacked anyway. On yer bike son. Possibly Pep is the only manager at the minute who has the ultimate job. Other than that anyone is sackable. 

I'd say Klopp is pretty much unsackable - if nothing else, Pool's fans are 100% behind him.

While I'd be very surprised if Brentford sacked Thomas Frank, even if they got relegated.

But you're right, aside from those three, it's a ridiculously precarious job, even more so as you go down the divisions, with the Championship being an absolute nightmare - average tenure now something like 9 months?.

If Liverpool can sack Kenny Dalglish; than anyone can be sacked

Sponsored Links

irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2022 at 8:46pm
Originally posted by williemc83 williemc83 wrote:

Who would be a manager today though. Yes you get piles of money but with the stress and the short time you get its getting to be impossible almost. Your never going to get legendary status like coaches of the past again. Win the Champions League now its like so what your sacked anyway. On yer bike son. Possibly Pep is the only manager at the minute who has the ultimate job. Other than that anyone is sackable. 

I'd say Klopp is pretty much unsackable - if nothing else, Pool's fans are 100% behind him.

While I'd be very surprised if Brentford sacked Thomas Frank, even if they got relegated.

But you're right, aside from those three, it's a ridiculously precarious job, even more so as you go down the divisions, with the Championship being an absolute nightmare - average tenure now something like 9 months?.

If Liverpool can sack Kenny Dalglish; than anyone can be sacked

Which they were completely right to do at the time. 
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
Gary McKay View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2022 at 10:37pm

But Pep has never won the CL with City.
"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex
SeaSharp View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeaSharp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2022 at 10:45pm
Originally posted by Gary McKay Gary McKay wrote:

but he has won 4 out of the last 5 premier leagues.
Gary McKay View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2022 at 11:32pm
Originally posted by SeaSharp SeaSharp wrote:

The above post mentioned the CL, can you not read ?
"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex
SeaSharp View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeaSharp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2022 at 11:37pm

I can yeah but there’s context.. when you dominate domestically you get some leeway when it comes to the hardest competition of them all.
Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2022 at 1:19am

I can yeah but there’s context.. when you dominate domestically you get some leeway when it comes to the hardest competition of them all.

Here's some more context:
If your domestic league is a two-horse race (eg Spain), or even a one-horse race (eg Germany), then with the title won by February, you can concentrate all your resources on Europe when the CL really gets going.

Which partly explains why PG was able to win the CL twice when he was managing in Spain, but hasnt done so since managing in England.

So far.
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2022 at 9:25am

You're safer not winning it
Double Maxim View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2022 at 10:36am
Potter deal agreed as Chelsea manager. 

Edited by Double Maxim - 08 Sep 2022 at 10:37am
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world
Gaz View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
You'll always be Gazsh to me.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2022 at 12:34pm
Originally posted by Double Maxim Double Maxim wrote:

Can't see that ending well. As soon as results are bad the fans will turn on him cause he's so inexperienced at the elite Top 4/Champs Lge/challenging for trophies level. A mad appointment IMO
I dont email the count anymore, its been 9 months : ( He even sent me a YBIG scarf for my Birthday
reddladd View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reddladd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2022 at 12:51pm
He was doing so well at Brighton and this could have been a great year for them with the way the likes of Liverpool and Chelsea are performing. Could have been an outside bet to get into Europe. 

I could agree with you but then we'd both be wrong.
B6 6HE View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B6 6HE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2022 at 2:02pm

Here's some more context:
If your domestic league is a two-horse race (eg Spain), or even a one-horse race (eg Germany), then with the title won by February, you can concentrate all your resources on Europe when the CL really gets going.

Which partly explains why PG was able to win the CL twice when he was managing in Spain, but hasnt done so since managing in England.

So far.

He ought to have with Bayern so
BigPodge View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
I'm the Gaffer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigPodge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2022 at 2:27pm
Originally posted by Gaz Gaz wrote:

Can't see that ending well. As soon as results are bad the fans will turn on him cause he's so inexperienced at the elite Top 4/Champs Lge/challenging for trophies level. A mad appointment IMO

I can see it going the same way as Moyes at United in 2013, I'd be surprised if he can make the step up.
Devrozex View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Devrozex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2022 at 3:22pm
Originally posted by BigPodge BigPodge wrote:

I can see it going the same way as Moyes at United in 2013, I'd be surprised if he can make the step up.

Interesting. I see it as the exact opposite really. A shrewd appointment that will likely work out very well for them. He's so tactically flexible that he always seemed destined for one of the top clubs. A few of his ex players who have been interviewed over the last day or so have also been very complimentary towards him and his approach. I think it's a much better call to go for a young, up-and-coming manager than say someone like Pochettino.
BigPodge View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
I'm the Gaffer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigPodge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2022 at 3:49pm
Originally posted by Devrozex Devrozex wrote:

Originally posted by BigPodge BigPodge wrote:

Interesting. I see it as the exact opposite really. A shrewd appointment that will likely work out very well for them. He's so tactically flexible that he always seemed destined for one of the top clubs. A few of his ex players who have been interviewed over the last day or so have also been very complimentary towards him and his approach. I think it's a much better call to go for a young, up-and-coming manager than say someone like Pochettino.

It's a huge stepup though, there were practically zero expectations at Brighton, now he's going to a club with massive expectations where he has to juggle league and Champions League games, deal with a huge amount of egos and a cut throat owner etc.

No doubt he's been excellent at Brighton and in previous roles but this is a serious challenge, only time will tell!

Double Maxim View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2022 at 4:39pm
Some journo on SSN saying Potter will get more time than recent managers but obviously its a results business so I wouldn't necessarily believe that. 
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2022 at 5:33pm
There was a good interview on OTB am this morning with Ben Jacobs who detailed where Tuchel's & Boehly's relationship deteriorated. Boehly seems to be fairly hands on, taking a sporting director role instead of part-owner, and is in around the training ground every day. Seems to have been making a big effort with the players, compared to Abramovich who was barely there for obvious reasons. Suggested Boehly was able to see how the relationship between Tuchel and the players had soured, whereas Abramovich wouldn't have seen it.

Boehly also expected Tuchel to assist him with transfers, which he was either unwilling, half-@rsed or not able to. The blame for losing Kounde and Raphina, despite having fees and terms agreed, seems to be laid at Tuchel's door.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2022 at 8:51pm
Potter seems the type that takes months to bed his system in, rather than someone who can come in and motivate some superstar egos, they have to commit to a year minimum to let him do his thing, but I'm not sure he'll get that if they're flaoting around mid table.

Interesing, the James Richardson podcast had a story about Tuchel's man management, pre=season he had two seperate meetings, one for what he considered committed players, one for those he thoguht weren't interested and wanted to leave. Tuchel's thought was that both sets needed different messages, but it backfired with a huge rift in the squad between the two camps. Some of the "not committed" players played the opening game while some of the "committed" group were benched. Didn't go down well with the committed players.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 126127128129130 131>
  Share Topic