Topic ClosedChelsea sack Ten Cate

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Chelsea sack Ten Cate
    Posted: 29 May 2008 at 12:29pm

Chelsea have terminated the contract of assistant first-team coach Henk ten Cate, the club has confirmed.

The decision was reached following a meeting on Thursday morning.

The news comes five days after manager Avram Grant was sacked despite the club reaching the Champions League final and finishing second in the Premier League.

"As a result of the changes, and in light of any forthcoming appointment, it was clear this is the correct decision," said a club statement.

Former Ajax manager Ten Cate, 53, had said the club told him his position was safe following the dismissal of manager Avram Grant.

The Dutchman joined Chelsea as assistant manager in October, but his fate appears to have been sealed by the club's failure to win a trophy for the first time in four years.

His dismissal suggests Frank Rijkaard is not among the candidates to replace Grant - Ten Cate was assistant to his compatriot at Barcelona when the club won the Champions League in 2006.

Quoted in the Dutch media on Tuesday, ten Cate insisted he wanted to remain at Stamford Bridge in the wake of Grant's dismissal.

"Half an hour before Chelsea made the message about Grant officially known, I was called by the chief executive Peter Kenyon," he told Voetbal International.

"He informed me that the departure of Grant will not affect me. I'd rather go on that. I have a contract until 2010."

Rijkaard, Sven-Goran Eriksson, Michael Laudrup, Roberto Mancini, Mark Hughes and Luiz Felipe Scolari have all been linked with the vacant manager's role at Chelsea.

Steve Clarke remains on the Chelsea coaching staff but it is believed that he will end his long-term association with the club to pursue a career as a manager.

LOL

What a fcukin joke of a club. They spent weeks trying to get Ten Cate and then they sack him 5 months later.
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
Sponsored Links

The Count View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2008 at 3:07pm
more money than sense really, was real big news when he signed.... I reckon if scholari comes and hes flop then the boss man abramovich will cut his losses....no-one else to get except for trappers!Cry
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic