You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Charlie Hurley

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Charlie Hurley
    Posted: 11 Aug 2012 at 10:40am
I don't think theres been a Charlie Hurley thread on here before so I thought I would start one. I realise he's before a lot of peoples time on here and he's even slightly before mine. Wink 
Maybe your dads or uncles may have memories of the great man.
I remember a talk in by him some years ago in a club in Sunderland and what a top man he is full of amusing stories and only too happy to stay back and talk at length to the supporters.
He always tells the tale of how he would play a game for Sunderland on a Saturday afternoon and then get the Liverpool to Dublin boat on the Saturday evening and play for Ireland on the Sunday afternoon.
Difficult to imagine that these days.
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world
Sponsored Links

jackshat View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton
Jack shat in case you're wondering

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackshat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2012 at 11:15am
Legend I wish I was about to see him in the flesh.

There was a documentry on RTÈ before the Euros DM and they mentioned players having to get the ferry across. Crazy stuff when you think about it now.
It's Jack Shat
only1kilbane View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote only1kilbane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2012 at 11:17am
Met Charlie a few years back at Galway Race Week when sunderland were over. Gentleman and smashing player (from what I have read). Got a signed photo with him and was happy to chat about the club for over half an hour with me
Double Maxim View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2012 at 11:20am
Originally posted by only1kilbane only1kilbane wrote:

Met Charlie a few years back at Galway Race Week when sunderland were over. Gentleman and smashing player (from what I have read). Got a signed photo with him and was happy to chat about the club for over half an hour with me

He was lovely with my son at the talk in that I mentioned a very lovely genuine man. Thumbs Up

Edited by Double Maxim - 11 Aug 2012 at 11:20am
Wearmouth View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wearmouth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2012 at 11:34am
The mans a living Legend not many people get voted player of the century and have a training centre named after them.
Charlie Hurley a true legend
Masterplan View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Masterplan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2012 at 12:43pm
Being only a young pup, I never had the chance to see King Charlie play but by all accounts he was a cracking player, always talks well of Sunderland as well.
Marley+ View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marley+ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2012 at 12:49pm
Legend is the right word for Charlie the first centre half to come up for corners and what a bullet of a header the big man had on him.
Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2012 at 12:50pm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mEGZ1pF-3I

Chanting from the Sunderland fans Clap
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
BDI View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2012 at 1:34pm
I remember meeting 6 fellas over from Cork and their sole reason for supporting SAFC was Charlie Hurley.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2012 at 2:31pm
Originally posted by Green Devil Green Devil wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mEGZ1pF-3I

Chanting from the Sunderland fans Clap

I was at that game at Turners Cross mate great spot. What a cracking weekend that was. Thumbs Up
Fireball07 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fireball07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2012 at 5:38pm
My father doesn't remember him actually playing, but I love watching any clips of him play. And when he talks about Sunderland...he's got a way with words, I must say. He really gets across his love of the club.
Wearmouth View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wearmouth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2012 at 10:36pm
Charlie talks of his love of SAFC in tonights footy echo and he will be there at the emirates on saturday.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2012 at 7:48am
Originally posted by Wearmouth Wearmouth wrote:

Charlie talks of his love of SAFC in tonights footy echo and he will be there at the emirates on saturday.

Good article and typical Charlie. Thumbs Up
smart man View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la
Not so.......

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smart man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2012 at 11:25am
Charlie Hurley is a Irish legend. Born in Cork his family moved to England,he came to Sunderland via Millwall. He was named Sunderland player of the century. Saw he play for Ireland once. He has wonderful stories about coming over on the boat on Saturday night after playing for his club that afternoon and turning out on Sunday for Ireland. Himself and Noel Cantwell were wonderful players and should never be forgotten.   
alive and kicking
Clonbhoy View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
AKA Sir Basil Butterpeas Esquire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clonbhoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2012 at 2:14pm
Originally posted by smart man smart man wrote:

Charlie Hurley is a Irish legend. Born in Cork his family moved to England,he came to Sunderland via Millwall. He was named Sunderland player of the century. Saw he play for Ireland once. He has wonderful stories about coming over on the boat on Saturday night after playing for his club that afternoon and turning out on Sunday for Ireland. Himself and Noel Cantwell were wonderful players and should never be forgotten.   
It is lovely to have a thread synopsis every dozen or so postsTongue
Wearmouth View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wearmouth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2012 at 2:37pm
Not sure what you are getting at
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2012 at 4:40pm
Originally posted by smart man smart man wrote:

top post you have caputered the mood.  Thumbs Up 
Wearmouth View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wearmouth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2012 at 11:43pm
Millwall fans love Charlie as well.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>
  Share Topic