Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Champions League Final - Liverpool v Tottenham

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 161718
Author
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Muff: That is a lie and you are a liar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2019 at 4:23pm
Originally posted by planning planning wrote:

Originally posted by Hans Moleman Hans Moleman wrote:

Thoughts? Considering IFAB have cleared up there is zero percent chance that the situation that happened Sissoko should ever be a penalty again?

My thoughts haven't changed. One replay is all I needed to conclude it was a penalty. Most refs these days have zero tolerance of handball in the box, that's why a pen was given in the World Cup Final, and why lots of other handballs were given as penalties in that tournament, why they've been given in this tournament, and will be given in next year's EPL.

The ref gave a pen, then Danny Makkelie and 3 other VAR officials saw no grounds to review or reverse the decision, and they know every rule inside out. VAR's see absolutely everything from every angle, and if they say it's a penalty, I trust their judgement. Most pundits and the press tbf agree it was the correct decision. No doubt you will still protest about it, but it's not going to change anything.

I love VAR. It helps out referees, it cuts down on dark arts football and it ensures the big decisions are correct. The only issue I have is communication levels. I want to hear what the refs are saying, it would be a massive help. It should all be in English, as it's their common language, but it doesn't have to be, there's enough translators around to sort that out, if the will is there to do it.  

Absolutely hilarious. About thousand words, and you haven't dealt with the fact that next season the Sissoko situation ( a deflection by the player himself on to his own arm) will 100 percent not be a penalty. They are now writing exact situations into the directives which is some bit of improvement around the handball farce these days.

You stated only a few days ago that the Sissoko incident will see penalties given again and again next season. You were wrong. Just like nobody has found a single example from the past year or 2 where a referee correctly awarded a penalty for a player deflecting the ball on to their own arm. It really shouldn't be hard - this situation has happened plenty before. It's strange that. I'd hazard a guess that plenty here have seen this scenario being waved away by the referee numerous times over the past few years. Nobody would even take note of it being waved away, it's such an obvious decision to give.

Edited by Hans Moleman - 06 Jun 2019 at 4:28pm
"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."
Sponsored Links

Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2019 at 9:08pm
Originally posted by Gavintheslob Gavintheslob wrote:

Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

The can cancel your booking.

I did think that alright but on what grounds 
On the grounds that they can, simple as.

It's always open to a hotel to cancel your booking, esp if you haven't paid in advance. Though even if you have, they just return you your money.

It's almost certainly in their small print, but even if it's not, what can you do? Quite apart from the practical difficulty of suing someone in (this case) Turkey, what have you physically lost, at least if given notice? And even if you'd already booked flights etc, you'll just be told to find another hotel. (As if...)

Loads of hotels did this with early pre-bookings in Madrid last weekend, so as to clear the rooms for football fans at a huge mark-up.

And it's nothing new, either...

planning View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Football version of Comical Ali.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote planning Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2019 at 3:35pm
Originally posted by Hans Moleman Hans Moleman wrote:

You haven't dealt with the fact that next season the Sissoko situation ( a deflection by the player himself on to his own arm) will 100 percent not be a penalty. They are now writing exact situations into the directives which is some bit of improvement around the handball farce these days.

You stated only a few days ago that the Sissoko incident will see penalties given again and again next season. You were wrong. Jut like nobody has found a single example from the past year or 2 where a referee correctly awarded a penalty for a player deflecting the ball on to their own arm. It really shouldn't be hard - this situation has happened plenty before. It's strange that. I'd hazard a guess that plenty here have seen this scenario being waved away by the referee numerous times over the past few years. Nobody would even take note of it being waved away, it's such an obvious decision to give.

Well they should, because there is no more "accidental" handball. Handle the ball and pay the consequences. And unlike previous years, there's VAR around to see that you do pay the consequences. First thing you learn about this sport, is that handball is illegal. It's been that way since the day the sport was invented, only now we have the technology to see that it's enforced.

The fact it hit his chest first is no defence these days. It's the player's responsibility to ensure that he doesn't handle the ball. It was the second penalty given for handball against Spurs since VAR was introduced in the competition. And they'll be punished in every case until they learn that they can't get away with it. Even if he doesn't deliberately handle it, he can still be done for "arm in unnatural position" and/or "making himself bigger". The player in this case, failed on all three counts, so the penalty decision was automatic and the decision upheld by VAR. Just what is he doing with his arm outstretched in the penalty area? Confused He was lucky Skomina didn't book him, as he has a reputation for dishing out cards. He handed a Colombian a straight red for a handball (and penalty) after just 4 minutes in a World Cup game last year.  

For reasons best known to yourself, you put up a stronger protest about it than he, his teammates, or his manager did. His manager was plonked in his dugout, hitting the bottle when the decision was made. No protests, no earache for the fourth official, nothing. He knows the rules, and knows the penalty decision is clear and obvious.
Bob Hoskins View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Hoskins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2019 at 4:27pm
Imagine been stuck in a lift with Planning, Hans and Terri and a peno call came up. You'd be quickly praying for the cable to break 
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 161718
  Share Topic