Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Champions League 17/18

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1314151617 79>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2017 at 4:39pm
Originally posted by Devrozex Devrozex wrote:

Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Of course they were fooked over - they had to play a full strength Man City side whilst their main rivals for qualification played the second string. No idea how you could argue otherwise. The Feyenoord result doesn't even come into it as they would have known before the game they had a negligible chance of qualifying.

Its got to come into it.
Very unprofessional of them to not even do their bit.

Shakhtar were the second best team in the group and deserved to go through.

I just don't think psychologically they can be in a great place going into that game knowing that Shaktar are almost nailed on at home to City. As I said earlier Napoli beat Shaktar on the head-to-head results so have ever right to be p*ssed off imo.

At the same time, at the start of the group, most people would have probably accepted that they'd lose at the Etihad, but the other 5 games they should all have been getting something from. Away to Shakhtar and home to City were bad games to get no points from

Edited by Roberto Baggio - 07 Dec 2017 at 4:41pm
Sponsored Links

Gary McKay View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2017 at 4:39pm

Originally posted by Gary McKay Gary McKay wrote:

In fairness Dortmund reached a CL Final.

Something that Man City have failed to do to date.
That would have been a good point, if I'd have compared Dortmund to City or said they were better than them or something.
Never said you did.

Its just funny that fans of moneybags clubs like your self looking down your noses at 'hipster' clubs demise after they've achieved remarkable success with limited resources doing things a different way.

Amazing how you took the bait nonetheless.

"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2017 at 4:40pm
I was actually talking post their final appearance in 2013. They've been all hype and very little substance since.

When a bad Liverpool side are knocking you out of the Europa League, it pretty much emphasises this

Edited by Roberto Baggio - 07 Dec 2017 at 4:41pm
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2017 at 4:41pm

I was actually talking post their final appearance in 2013. They've been all hype and very little substance since.
They did lose their manager and half their team.

"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2017 at 4:42pm

Thanks for pointing that out. Tuchel was seen as the second coming of Christ by some.
coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2017 at 4:43pm

Napoli really got fooked over in their group with Shaktar playing a second string Man City in the final round. I know they lost to Feyenoord but you'd imagine they would have won that if they still had a realistic chance of qualifying and with the better head-to-head record against Shaktar would have gone through if City also took maximum points off the Ukrainians.

They had only 6 points from 5 games before last night. Only themselves to blame. And couldn't even do their bit last night.

Remind me of Dortmund. Hipster, fashionable club who all of a sudden its "cool" to like, but aren't actually as good as people think.

I think you need to look up the definition of hipster, because Napoli isn't that.

Hoffenheim on the other hand, did you know they have a 30 year old Manager and are a really frightening team because they're from the Bundesliga?! Although they got hammered in the Qualifier stages Dead

Edited by coyne - 07 Dec 2017 at 4:43pm
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2017 at 4:45pm

Thanks for pointing that out.
You acted as if you'd forgotten.

Getting narky as usual when you're pulled up on something or someone mentions Man City in a non-beautiful way. Relax.

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2017 at 4:45pm
Whats frightening about them?
Doing well in the Europa I see, bottom of a group containing the giants of football Ludogorets, Braga and Istanbul Basakeshir
coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2017 at 4:46pm

Doing well in the Europa I see, bottom of a group containing the giants of football Ludogorets, Braga and Istanbul Basakeshir

But they have a 30 year old Manager which means they must be really good?!

I saw someone post in the last round of games in this exact thread that they should be in the Group stages of the Champions League.

That's hipster.

Edited by coyne - 07 Dec 2017 at 4:47pm
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2017 at 4:47pm
Do these hipster teams have players with beards or what ?
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2017 at 4:47pm

Thanks for pointing that out.
You acted as if you'd forgotten.

Getting narky as usual when you're pulled up on something or someone mentions Man City in a non-beautiful way. Relax. 

I'm engaging in a discussion, I'm well relaxed thanks. Just found it a bit strange that you thought because I criticised Napoli and Dortmund that I automatically was arguing that Man City are a better team or club than them or something. I never mentioned City so it was irrelevant bringing them into it IMO
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2017 at 4:49pm
Originally posted by coyne coyne wrote:

I saw someone post in the last round of games in this exact thread that they should be in the Group stages of the Champions League.

That's hipster.

Cheap season ticket prices is usually another marker.

Aylsebury FC are hip as fook!
coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2017 at 4:54pm

That's hipster.

That's just culture tbh! LOL

I think the Hoffenheim story is remarkable and very unique however they profited from a few big teams of having a shocker season and because of the Manager's age it became the hipster story of this season.
They're very average in truth so when Liverpool fans shat their pants when they were drawn together like 'oh my god it's the Hoffenheim' it was cringy stuff LOL
Reildogg View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reildogg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2017 at 4:59pm
Originally posted by Territorial Territorial wrote:

Originally posted by Reildogg Reildogg wrote:

Arguably Liverpool/Spurs are far less entitled to be in the competition than Qarabag/Nicosia. The competition is the champions league rather than best of the best.
Are you saying UEFA should go back to the old system of National Champions only?

For unless you are, then why single out Spurs? They finished 8 points ahead of Man. City last season and 17 ahead of Man U! 

And their CL performances this season have been top class - eg dominating the holders and gaining more Group points than any other team.

Meanwhile, Nicosia were dire against a second string Spurs team last night. In fact if that was anything to go by, they'd struggle to compete in the English Championship.

I'll update that then sorry: Arguably Man City/Liverpool/Spurs are less entitled to be in the competition than Qarabag/Nicosia (or any other domestic league winners. The competition is the champions league rather than best of the best. 
Why exclude City/Pool/Spurs before Man U, who only qualified via the Europa League, having finished 6th in the Premier League?

I am not suggesting that change whatsoever. It was the original poster who suggested a reduction in size. I was arguing for maintaining it as it is - rather than eliminating teams that won their domestic leagues (as suggested by the original poster). It is already sufficiently weighted in favour of the stronger leagues through the number of places and qualifying games. Nicosia played three ties to get to the group stages; Spurs played none. 
Not so.

Nicosia came in in the 2nd Qualifying round, where they overcame the mighty F91 Dudelang (Luxemburgers, to save you googling) with two 1-0 wins.

And in the 3rd Qualifying round, they triumphed over Viitorul Constanta of Romania - the pet project of Georgi Hagi which he founded in 2009, to play in a 4,500 capacity stadium in the countryside outside Ovidiu, a thriving metropolis of 12,000 people. (Saved you googling that one as well Wink)

Who did Nicosia play in Europe after their little trip to rural Romania but before their first group game against Real Madrid? I'll save ya Googling it and tell ya - Slavia Prague from the Czech Republic who were founded in 1892 and play in a 21,000 capacity stadium in a city of around 1.3 million.

Edited by Reildogg - 07 Dec 2017 at 5:01pm
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2017 at 5:59pm

That's hipster.

I think the Hoffenheim story is remarkable and very unique however they profited from a few big teams of having a shocker season and because of the Manager's age it became the hipster story of this season.
They're very average in truth so when Liverpool fans shat their pants when they were drawn together like 'oh my god it's the Hoffenheim' it was cringy stuff LOL

You can't qualify unique: something is either unique or it isn't.

You can't qualify average either: it's literally in the middle. Saying something is very in the middle doesn't make something more in the middle, it puts it in the same place. It makes no sense.
coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2017 at 6:03pm
Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

That's hipster.

You can't qualify unique: something is either unique or it isn't.

You can't qualify average either: it's literally in the middle. Saying something is very in the middle doesn't make something more in the middle, it puts it in the same place. It makes no sense.

What are you banging on about ffs LOLConfused

They're a bang average side with a Leicester-esque story about the whole circumstances as they 12 months before then they played in a Relegation playoff match with some unknown 29 year old chap in charge.

Edited by coyne - 07 Dec 2017 at 6:04pm
Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2017 at 7:09pm

Who did Nicosia play in Europe after their little trip to rural Romania but before their first group game against Real Madrid? I'll save ya Googling it and tell ya - Slavia Prague from the Czech Republic who were founded in 1892 and play in a 21,000 capacity stadium in a city of around 1.3 million.

Bloody UEFA, inserting an extra Play-Off Round AFTER three initial qualifying rounds!   

Still, doesn't mean A-POO-EL are any bloody use.

Slavia either.
Reildogg View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reildogg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2017 at 7:38pm

Bloody UEFA, inserting an extra Play-Off Round AFTER three initial qualifying rounds!   

Still, doesn't mean A-POO-EL are any bloody use.

Slavia either.

I said 3 ties - you took issue with that and said it was incorrect. Not uefas fault!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1314151617 79>
  Share Topic