You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Casement Park

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Madferret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2014 at 12:34pm
Originally posted by gspain gspain wrote:

Originally posted by Madferret Madferret wrote:

Ground Share at Windsor? The GAA took rugby, soccer & other sports in when they were stuck so I'm sure they'll reciprocate now, won't they? Would be a fantastic news story.

It happened before.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/linfield-pitches-in-to-help-camogie-team-train-for-match-25998005.html

I'm sure Windsor would be available if needed.  However the capacity of the redeveloped stadium will be ~18,000 which is much the same as Ravenhill.  That is too small for the bigger RWC games. 

However my understanding is that a GAA pitch is significantly bigger than a football pitch.  So it cannot be used for GAA games. 

Yeah I was aware of that and it was a great gesture by Jeffries. But there were specific personalities involved that fortunately were in the right place at the right time that created those conditions for that to happen on that specific occasion.
I'm sure Linfield would permit the rugby crowd rent Windsor if need be but they are kind of on the same side of the fence so to speak, at least at an administrative level.
Do you think Linfield FC would invite Antrim GAA to rent Windsor Park (in the unlikely situation that Antrim GAA wanted it) if the only obstacle was the pitch needing to be 5 or 6 yards longer? I admire your optimism, but I would say even if the pitch wasn't an issue it would still be unlikely to be offered.

As an aside, I got you confused with another similar sounding poster name on another thread in the whatever section a few days ago so apologies for that Thumbs Up 
Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2014 at 12:46pm

Theres a general election in the UK next year. Wait and see.

" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2014 at 2:56pm
Originally posted by Stillhuntinghenry Stillhuntinghenry wrote:

Originally posted by AntrimMan AntrimMan wrote:

This is entirely the GAA's fault. (Antrim co board and Ulster council for various things).

Aye, Durkan ballsed up but this should never have been near a judicial review if the GAA didn't try and ride roughshod over residents and the social club that actually donated its profits to Antrim GAA. Utter madness

But the department should have been there to guide them and when the application came in it should have beenrejected and the gaa should have been sent away to rectify the errors.

Instead it was forced through by durkan despite glaring omissions and then we end up with a highly publicised JR and the whole project thrown into jeopardy. There are obviously faults by the gaa but the reason for this blowing up and ending on our tv screens is down to durkan who it is well known has an IQ of around 65. That JR probably cost a fortune and the outcome was inevitable

I'd be with SHH on this. The department were the ones who made the biggest mistakes here. The GAA obviously didn't interact with residents as well as they should have and obviously a large number of them objected to the project going ahead as currently conceived but that doesn't make it their fault that the department messed up.

Put it like this: The GAA were on one side, the residents were on the other and Durkan was the one who had to make the decision. The GAA are not really the ones to blame when Durkan made a hames of the decision making process and didn't take into account things he should have done. Whatever about the way the GAA put their case to Durkan, he should have been clever enough to make the decision in the correct way in the first place. He has a department of staff and presumably a number of lawyers there to help prevent expensive mistakes like this one.

The GAA may not have done this perfectly, but Durkan and his department have far more to answer for than the GAA do.
gspain View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gspain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2014 at 5:50pm

Originally posted by gspain gspain wrote:

Ground Share at Windsor? The GAA took rugby, soccer & other sports in when they were stuck so I'm sure they'll reciprocate now, won't they? Would be a fantastic news story.

It happened before.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/linfield-pitches-in-to-help-camogie-team-train-for-match-25998005.html

I'm sure Windsor would be available if needed.  However the capacity of the redeveloped stadium will be ~18,000 which is much the same as Ravenhill.  That is too small for the bigger RWC games. 

However my understanding is that a GAA pitch is significantly bigger than a football pitch.  So it cannot be used for GAA games. 

Yeah I was aware of that and it was a great gesture by Jeffries. But there were specific personalities involved that fortunately were in the right place at the right time that created those conditions for that to happen on that specific occasion.
I'm sure Linfield would permit the rugby crowd rent Windsor if need be but they are kind of on the same side of the fence so to speak, at least at an administrative level.
Do you think Linfield FC would invite Antrim GAA to rent Windsor Park (in the unlikely situation that Antrim GAA wanted it) if the only obstacle was the pitch needing to be 5 or 6 yards longer? I admire your optimism, but I would say even if the pitch wasn't an issue it would still be unlikely to be offered.

As an aside, I got you confused with another similar sounding poster name on another thread in the whatever section a few days ago so apologies for that Thumbs Up 

I expect Linfield would rent Windsor to anyone who would pay the rent.  However I can't see Antrim GAA wanting it.  Generally the GAA don't tend to use other stadiums.  The GAA have plenty of bigger stadiums allbeit not in Belfast.  Anyway it is more than 5 or 6 yards that would be needed. 

It could be used for the RWC but only to allow extra games requiring a capacity on a par with Ravenhill.  I suspect some would feel short changed.  All the big games would be south of the border. 

Not sure what the apology is about but no problem. 
Stillhuntinghenry View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

useless at posting links

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stillhuntinghenry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2014 at 5:35pm
The inevitable has now happened and planning permission has been rejected by the court today. Gaa to submit new application next year , question is will the funds still be ringfenced then ? Surely the money now goes back to the executive . The disgrace is that £5m has already been spent and no doubt there will be a human cost in terms of redundancies.

A f**k up of the highest order , in my view durkan is guilty of gross negligence and should be resigning

Edited by Stillhuntinghenry - 18 Dec 2014 at 5:35pm
"Not one cent" - RTID on Mark Quigley's pay-off from Shamrock
dunloybhoy View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dunloybhoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2014 at 9:14am
the money is ring fenced for the project, it cant be spent anywhere else. windsor, ravenhill and casement are a 3 way funded project. all 3 were guaranteed the money to get the work done.

the polititions made a massive balls of this along with the covt departments. the ulster council are partly to blame but not the sole party to make the biggest mistake.
put em under pressure!
corkery View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corkery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2014 at 4:40pm

Bring it back to Clones. No Vat there.

'The younger generation as in 17 -25 are certainly gayer than their predecessors. I think they may cause the extinction of the human race with their activities.'- Baldrick
roverstillidie View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Bohs number 1 fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roverstillidie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2014 at 11:27am
Amazing that the same government department and politicians had no problem getting Windsor and Ravenhill, both in urban areas, built...

It's never the Gahs fault, in this case having no relationship with their community
Fintan View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady
YBIG Mods are cool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fintan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2014 at 12:04pm
RTID you're a bore in relation to this matter. The GAA in West Belfast have a decent enough relationship with the community.
PhilliyK View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Granny Grabber

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PhilliyK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2014 at 12:36pm
Originally posted by roverstillidie roverstillidie wrote:

Amazing that the same government department and politicians had no problem getting Windsor and Ravenhill, both in urban areas, built...

It's never the Gahs fault, in this case having no relationship with their community
Yeah both are really in urban area's you fukin absolute a.hole Embarrassed

There is no immediate housing within a certain distance of either of them so of course they can/could build upwards

Quit digging a hole for yourself ffs
gspain View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gspain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2014 at 6:04pm
Originally posted by PhilliyK PhilliyK wrote:

Originally posted by roverstillidie roverstillidie wrote:

Yeah both are really in urban area's you fukin absolute a.hole Embarrassed

There is no immediate housing within a certain distance of either of them so of course they can/could build upwards

Quit digging a hole for yourself ffs

philly, appreciate I live a lot further away than you but there are houses right beside both stadiums.  Ravenhill did have some difficulties with local residents too. 

roverstillidie View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Bohs number 1 fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roverstillidie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2014 at 9:34am
Originally posted by Fintan Fintan wrote:

RTID you're a bore in relation to this matter. The GAA in West Belfast have a decent enough relationship with the community.
  We obviously have a fundamentally different understanding of 'decent enough'.

I am asking a simple question. If this is the minister and departments fault, how come they managed to get the other two stadia built with relative ease?

Someday, somewhere, the GAA community will hold people in management to account for the litany of ballsups.
corkery View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corkery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2016 at 1:39am
Locals are objecting to the new plans. Is this stadium not a waste of money. It will be filled once a year.
'The younger generation as in 17 -25 are certainly gayer than their predecessors. I think they may cause the extinction of the human race with their activities.'- Baldrick
zizu Kilbane View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zizu Kilbane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2016 at 12:27pm
Originally posted by corkery corkery wrote:

Locals are objecting to the new plans. Is this stadium not a waste of money. It will be filled once a year.

I think it's safe to say that this redevelopment won't go ahead on this site. The GAA should sell it and try and find a green space somewhere else in Belfast. There is a need for a circa 40k stadium in Ulster
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"
greenlad View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greenlad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2016 at 1:07pm
Originally posted by zizu Kilbane zizu Kilbane wrote:

Originally posted by corkery corkery wrote:

I think it's safe to say that this redevelopment won't go ahead on this site. The GAA should sell it and try and find a green space somewhere else in Belfast. There is a need for a circa 40k stadium in Ulster
i can see them moving this out to antrim town, the gaa just opened a big set up on the outskirts of antrim town and its well served by motorway from all directions. would make most sense imo
AntrimMan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
YBIG's resident Nordy/London Hipster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AntrimMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2016 at 1:49pm
Might be a waste of money but its the British Governments money not the GAA's so f**k it.

And no, Its Casement or nothing. Thats pretty much the terms.

The Dunsilly site in Antrim town is a training base. There isnt the room for a stadium or stands and there is zero parking pretty much.

Its not suitable for matches.
@AntrimMan85
eireland View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eireland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2016 at 2:34am
The new proposal seems perfectly reasonable. If this fails it's either greenfield site beside Belfast or its one less stadium for the WC 2033.
AntrimMan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
YBIG's resident Nordy/London Hipster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AntrimMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2016 at 9:01am
Originally posted by eireland eireland wrote:

The new proposal seems perfectly reasonable. If this fails it's either greenfield site beside Belfast or its one less stadium for the WC 2033.

This is not an option apparently. The terms of this money is Casement or nothing.
@AntrimMan85
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
  Share Topic