You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Car Insurance

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213 23>
Author
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2018 at 11:00am
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

My car was stolen in 2013 and lost my no claims bonus - as expected.

This is what I've paid for 3rd party F+T.

2014 - 383e
2015 - 432e
2016 - 542e
2017 - 551e
2018 - 653e

They are some increases. I thought the premiums were going down?

IF it’s the same car for all 5 years I don’t think it’s too crazy. I’ve certainly heard worse, especially with a claim thrown in 
bhob View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

YBIGs Donald Trump

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2018 at 11:22am
The year after you lost your NCB your insurance was only €383? Seems ridiculously low to me

Edited by bhob - 18 Apr 2018 at 11:23am
Croftman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Croftman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2018 at 11:35am

Originally posted by Croftman Croftman wrote:

2014 - 383e
2015 - 432e
2016 - 542e
2017 - 551e
2018 - 653e

They've leveled off a bit alright but not too many gone down yet unfortunately
You shouldn't have lost your NCB for a theft claim though. With most companies Fire, Theft & Windscreen claims don't affect it in any way

Why would you not lose your no claims bonus after making a claim?

They paid out nearly 6k.

Your no claims bonus goes from x years to 3 years after you make a claim.

For a few reasons

It wouldn't matter once its one of the 3 types of claims mentioned above. If you had a crash or a Third Party claim fair enough. If its Fire, Theft or Windscreen the NCB wont be touched by the majority of companies

It would also depend on what type of NCB Protection cover you had on your policy. There's different types so if you had a Full NCB cover you could have a crash and the NCB wouldn't be affected at all. You could have Stepback cover which would see the NCB "stepback" a few years in the event of a claim, usually 2 years. If you'd no cover then you could lose it completely and go back down to zero
Some people just deserve a slap
Patman Scoop View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Patman Scoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2018 at 12:00pm
No decent insurance company will punish you for you car being stolen , talk about getting kicked while already on the ground LOL

Strange one if your car is stolen & wrecked but recovered and you claim for the repairs you will lose your NCB , So if your car is stolen you're better off having it burnt out in a field somewhere Confused
Why no wine??!
Sono View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Inspector Gadget

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sono Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2018 at 12:06pm
Originally posted by Patman Scoop Patman Scoop wrote:

Strange one if your car is stolen & wrecked but recovered and you claim for the repairs you will lose your NCB , So if your car is stolen you're better off having it burnt out in a field somewhere Confused

In that case what is to stop me buying a crashed car with €5k worth of damage, report it stolen and then plant it somewhere and say it’s found with all the damage and I then claim for it, you have to draw the line somewhere as well. 

Edited by Sono - 18 Apr 2018 at 12:07pm
Croftman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Croftman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2018 at 12:25pm

No decent insurance company will punish you for you car being stolen , talk about getting kicked while already on the ground LOL

Not necessarily. If its damage as a result of theft or attempted theft it would normally be treated as a theft claim so wouldn't affect the NCB

Some people just deserve a slap
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2018 at 12:56pm

Originally posted by Croftman Croftman wrote:

2014 - 383e
2015 - 432e
2016 - 542e
2017 - 551e
2018 - 653e

They've leveled off a bit alright but not too many gone down yet unfortunately
You shouldn't have lost your NCB for a theft claim though. With most companies Fire, Theft & Windscreen claims don't affect it in any way

Why would you not lose your no claims bonus after making a claim?

They paid out nearly 6k.

Your no claims bonus goes from x years to 3 years after you make a claim.

because with a lot of companies theft claims dont impact you NCB. Likewise with some companies, claims of any sort up to a certain amount usually around 10k dont impact.depends on the comapny though.
Shoco View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Hail Hail the Celts are here

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shoco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2018 at 8:23pm
Originally posted by Shoco Shoco wrote:

Got the dreaded letter in the post today, it actually came down 10%, still over 800 quid though!

After coming down last year, it's gone up again this year!

YOUR 3 IN A ROW LEAGUE CHAMPIONS
Patman Scoop View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Patman Scoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2018 at 11:53pm
Originally posted by Sono Sono wrote:

In that case what is to stop me buying a crashed car with €5k worth of damage, report it stolen and then plant it somewhere and say it’s found with all the damage and I then claim for it, you have to draw the line somewhere as well. 

What ConfusedLOL

Why no wine??!
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2018 at 6:54am
another 2% on premiums from yesterday..

So thats:

3% for PMPA
2% for Quinn 
2% now for Setanta

Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2018 at 3:27pm
Originally posted by Sham157 Sham157 wrote:

So thats:

3% for PMPA
2% for Quinn 
2% now for Setanta
There was a good piece on TV3 about it last night, the amount we need to pay for the bankruptcy of these companies is basically a result of the massive payouts for car crashes. All the companies went to the wall because of car insurance claims being massively overpaid by judges and overcharged by legal teams. Until we get to the bottom of those, there's gonna be more and more levies when any other companies go to the wall.
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2018 at 3:34pm
TV3 is sensationalist bollocks, though. It's from the same school as "Britain's benefit tenants" and "Don't pay, we'll take it away". It is designed to mock and belittle a small subset of genuine claimants and tar vast swathes of people with a broad brush.

If injury payouts were halved in the morning, I very much doubt insurance premiums would be halved. Insurance companies are significantly worse gougers than any car crash claimant or lawyer.

I'm not saying fraudulent claims don't exist (they do) and I'm not saying that some payouts aren't too high (they are) but you need to question everything; in this case, TV3's sensationalist agenda and insurance company's desire to protect their bottom line above all else.
rossieman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rossieman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2018 at 3:37pm
I saw an article yesterday of a lady getting 245k pay out for PTSD after she was hit by a car.

She crossed the road at a pedestrian red light ,I know driver is supposed to be alert/aware of their surroundings but surely the pedestrian shouldn't be getting a massive pay out when its essentially their own fault?
nvidic View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nvidic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2018 at 3:43pm
Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

Originally posted by Sham157 Sham157 wrote:

So thats:

3% for PMPA
2% for Quinn 
2% now for Setanta
There was a good piece on TV3 about it last night, the amount we need to pay for the bankruptcy of these companies is basically a result of the massive payouts for car crashes. All the companies went to the wall because of car insurance claims being massively overpaid by judges and overcharged by legal teams. Until we get to the bottom of those, there's gonna be more and more levies when any other companies go to the wall.

More to do with book of quantum having ridiculously high pay-outs in it, much higher than elsewhere - that directly increases the premium.

Whiplash is very high payout in it despite is probably being a made up condition
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2018 at 3:43pm
I'd say the €245k was for more than PTSD. That would be very unusual.

If you step into the road and a driver has plenty of time to stop but doesn't, both sides are to blame. It depends on the circumstances of the individual case. If you are 20% to blame for an accident, you still get 80% of the damages you'd be entitled to ordinarily. And if a driver has time to stop completely, or to avoid an accident, and doesn't, then even if their light was green, chances are they will be found almost entirely liable.
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2019 at 7:59am
That time of year again...anyway, my premium has gone down a few quid to €628 with Ivernia through chill.ie. Have shopped around and only one came close (25plus.ie @ €685) with every other quote ranging between €800-€1100.
EdisonCavani View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EdisonCavani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2019 at 9:49am
my Ivernia premium went up hugely back in Nov. No claims or anything.  Switched to Allianz Direct who were considerably cheaper.

Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2019 at 11:54am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213 23>
  Share Topic