You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

CaoimhĂ­n Kelleher

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4344454647 169>
Author
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rebelbrowser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2021 at 12:33pm
Bazunu has been excellent for Ireland but I think a little overhyped because of his age. Even when being MOTM against Serbia, he made two near catastrophic errors - misjudging a free from the touchline that had him beaten only to hit the crossbar and rushing off his line but not getting the ball only for McClean to bail him out.
Sponsored Links

Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2021 at 1:04pm
Originally posted by rebelbrowser rebelbrowser wrote:

Bazunu has been excellent for Ireland but I think a little overhyped because of his age. Even when being MOTM against Serbia, he made two near catastrophic errors - misjudging a free from the touchline that had him beaten only to hit the crossbar and rushing off his line but not getting the ball only for McClean to bail him out.

Agreed but no goalkeeper is going to be mistake free over 90 mins when the team is second best.

Lot of talk of Bazumu and Kelleher but we can't totally rule out Travers. Yes I know he seems to lack confidence but he's already playing at a higher level than Bazunu and is also a fantastic reaction keeper. 
zizu Kilbane View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zizu Kilbane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2021 at 1:09pm
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

Agreed but no goalkeeper is going to be mistake free over 90 mins when the team is second best.

Lot of talk of Bazumu and Kelleher but we can't totally rule out Travers. Yes I know he seems to lack confidence but he's already playing at a higher level than Bazunu and is also a fantastic reaction keeper. 

Travers particularly needs a run of games, for his confidence if nothing else. He definitely has talent and potential but I'm not sure he's ready yet mentally for the top level. He looked terrified in Belgrade and his performance suffered as a result. Still, he's young and has time on his side. 
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2021 at 1:23pm

Correct, and they're the type of errors that kill a keeper's reputation fairly quickly. In some ways, the shot stopping is the easy bit, definitely gets the highlight reel. Keeping concentrated for 90mns and avoiding the silly mistakes is what will make him proper elite level
kearney304 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kearney304 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2021 at 2:11pm

Hugo Lloris does this every game and he is the French world cup winning captain. 

If you genuinely can't see how good he is - regardless of his age then football isn't for you
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2021 at 9:56pm
Originally posted by kearney304 kearney304 wrote:

Hugo Lloris does this every game and he is the French world cup winning captain. 

If you genuinely can't see how good he is - regardless of his age then football isn't for you
Every keeper can make great saves, it's minimising the mistakes that will makes great keepers.

I remember Duff talking about when he was at Chelsea, and Cech arrived. At the time they had Cudicini who looked like a top keeper and there were question marks about why they'd sign Cech. The Cech arrived and he was a different level altogether. Shots that Cudicini was making dramatic saes out for corners, Cech was holding and relieving the pressure, clean sheets built and they beame proper contenders. I feel that's what Bazunu needs to develop into to properly compete for the Man City number 1 spot. No doubt he can stop shots, he needs to develop into the all-round reliable keeper to get that spot. 
kearney304 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kearney304 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2021 at 10:01pm
Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

Every keeper can make great saves, it's minimising the mistakes that will makes great keepers.

I remember Duff talking about when he was at Chelsea, and Cech arrived. At the time they had Cudicini who looked like a top keeper and there were question marks about why they'd sign Cech. The Cech arrived and he was a different level altogether. Shots that Cudicini was making dramatic saes out for corners, Cech was holding and relieving the pressure, clean sheets built and they beame proper contenders. I feel that's what Bazunu needs to develop into to properly compete for the Man City number 1 spot. No doubt he can stop shots, he needs to develop into the all-round reliable keeper to get that spot. 

What age was Cech when he arrived at Chelsea?
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2021 at 10:11pm
 I can never understand the instant expectation from some ireland fans.

Why Kenny hasn't made us a good team yet
Why isn't Bazunu the final product yet 
Why isn't Parrott scoring lots of goals yet.
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2021 at 10:14pm

Exactly this. Jesus Christ lads 
rebelbrowser View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rebelbrowser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2021 at 12:29am

Well that is a proportionate response to my post. Thanks for letting me know football isn't for me. I might try hockey so. Thanks again.
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2021 at 9:46am

24ish? I'm not saying he should be as experienced as a 24 year old now, I'm saying that's the level he has to get to when he's 24. He's an excellent shot stopper already, no denying that. There's other areas for him to work on
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2021 at 10:02am
Just had a look and he was 22. Not that far off GB

Edited by McG - 13 Sep 2021 at 10:03am
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

planning View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Football version of Comical Ali.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote planning Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2021 at 7:38pm
Originally posted by SC92 SC92 wrote:

Bazunu is also 3 years younger then Kelleher, based on his recent performances he will be playing at a much higher level at 22. What was Kelleher doing at 19? Not slating Kelleher he had time on his side as 22 is so young for a goalie but playing 4 games a season as Liverpools no 2 isn't that impressive when you also consider what a calamity Adrian has been in the role. I still think a loan would be the best option for him.

He was on Liverpool pre season tours by then, and playing for the PL2 team, which he can still do. Already with a European Cup winners medal, he made his competitive debut in 2019 in the League Cup at MK Dons, and kept a clean sheet. A month later, he saved a penalty in the League Cup at home v Arsenal. Last year, he got to play 2 European Cup games, and now he's one step away from No. 1 at Liverpool. Bazunu is not even ahead of Scott Carson in the pecking order at City.
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2021 at 7:12am
At Bazunu's age, Kelleher wasn't even ahead of Adrian at times over the last few seasons. 

But that's irrelevant to where the both are now. One is playing games week in, week out. The other isn't, regardless of the level.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2021 at 9:19am
You can look at it either way really, yes Bazunu is playing regularly in League One, but Kelleher is training daily at an elite level with perhaps the best goalkeeper in the world and against some of the top attacking players in the League.

Bazunu hasnt let anyone down, so he deserves to retain the jersey for now, but I have no doubt that Kelleher will have no problem stepping in if and when required. I think both are excellent prospects and have very high ceilings, luck and timing will play a role in who emerges on top e.g. if Alisson gets injured for a significant period and Kelleher steps in and does well, is anyone suggesting that he wouldnt then move into pole position for the jersey?

If we had an outfield player making the bench regularly for City or LFC we'd be delighted, so just enjoy the fact that we look well sorted in this position for years to come and let's not forget that in Travers we have a 22yo starting regularly in the Championship also.
Idah Dream!
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2021 at 9:44am
Samed Yeşil was training everyday with the Liverpool squad and now he works in a factory. He's 27. Means SFA.

Many similar situations to this.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2021 at 10:06am
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Samed Yeşil was training everyday with the Liverpool squad and now he works in a factory. He's 27. Means SFA.

Was Yesil 2nd choice keeper to a Top 3 in the world keeper at a time Liverpool were one of the top clubs in Europe? 

Have a look around at the other "Top 6" back up if you will??

Arsenal (Ramsdale Leno)
Chelsea (Kepa)
Man City (Steffen)
Tottenham (Atlantas 1st choice keeper) 
Man Utd (Henderson)

It's decent company Evertons back up is Begovic. Last year Evertons back up was Sweden's 1st choice keeper Olsen. Leicesters is Wales 1st choice keeper. West Hams is Areola a keeper with a huge CV.

The PL is so competitive even nowadays these clubs are looking for a quality back up. That Klopp has Kelleher tells you how highly he rates him and it's certainly not as a factory worker!!

Edited by kevin100 - 14 Sep 2021 at 10:06am
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2021 at 10:17am
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Not really the same thing though is it? Anyway I dont get this attitude that in order to big up Bazunu, we need to have a dig at Kelleher. He's 2nd choice GK at one of the biggest clubs in the world on merit at 22, its pretty f**king impressive tbh. He looks an excellent keeper to me (and to Klopp who I'd imagine is a fair judge), as does Bazunu. I'm happy to let the rivalry play out. We have two outstanding young keepers and a pretty promising 3rd choice also, let's just leave it at that.
Idah Dream!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4344454647 169>
  Share Topic