Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

CaoimhĂ­n Kelleher

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1819202122 173>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2020 at 8:47am
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

To think that a manager with the experience and talent of Klopp would play a keeper who has just conceded a hat full of goals if he thought for a second that the keeper was the fault for all or many of those goals is laughable. Esp in a game they needed points in.  

A keeper can concede 7 goals and if not be his fault if the defence is having a nightmare.  

Liverpool put 7 past Roma (Alisson) in the CL and Klopp thought he was the best keeper in the world.

Edited by horsebox - 02 Dec 2020 at 8:47am
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Sponsored Links

MC Hammered View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2020 at 8:56am

All the reports to date seemed to say that Kelleher is a very talented keeper. The issue was that he hadn’t played much senior football and in the few games he did, there was a couple of errors. 
So my concern was around his big match temperament and ability to handle pressure. He was excellent last night and that will really boost his confidence and his profile. You could imagine that if Klopp selects Adrian at the weekend and he is poor then Liverpool fans won’t be happy. That’s all super stuff. He just needs to progress to the next level which is playing regularly and doing well. A move from Liverpool is probably his best route.  
El Puto Amo
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2020 at 9:12am
Really enjoyed watching Kelleher last night.
His maturity and downright cheek with the chip were a delight, albeit it a delightful disaster if it went wrong!

At last some good news and a green shoot for our youth players looking to become proper seniors.

I'd say stay at Pool if #2 ahead of a loan but either option is great.
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2020 at 9:18am
It was great to see Klopp embrace him after the match.
He’s a great manager and you can see why he gets the most out of his team. 

Hopefully Kelleher is now #2 and gets a few games this season.

exgrad View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote exgrad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2020 at 9:42am
In relation to a loan, the chances of him getting a loan at a decent level, like Henderson at Sheffield United, are enhanced by him putting in performances like last night for Liverpool.  I wouldn't be convinced going out on loan to some League 1 or struggling championship team would be particularly beneficial to him.  He's training at a level way above that at the moment.
exgrad View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote exgrad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2020 at 9:48am
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Eh Karius...

Kelleher did well tonight and yes a keeper may not be at fault for the 7 but I saw him in 2 games and he had a mare letting in 10 goals and performing poorly.

Hopefully he kicks on now.  I remember McShane lauded by everyone after his debut against the Czechs and we all thought we found a gem.

Surely you  pointed to the stupid free kick he gave away that resulted in the Czech equaliser, or were you a bright eyed young pup back then rather than the wise old sage you are now?

t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2020 at 9:56am
He got the kiss of life. I said I dont rate him at all the other day. 

kevincronin2000 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Cork Airport Dogging Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevincronin2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2020 at 10:11am
The difference I suppose being the number 2 at Liverpool and being the number 2 at West Ham United is that you will get a lot more game time at Liverpool you would think.
time is the stuff that life is made of, don't waste it.
MC Hammered View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2020 at 10:29am
Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

Do us a favour and get yourself into the Troy Parrott thread and write him off as well 
El Puto Amo
ConorMac77 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ConorMac77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2020 at 10:41am
Originally posted by MC Hammered MC Hammered wrote:

Do us a favour and get yourself into the Troy Parrott thread and write him off as well 
LOL
The nation holds it's breath...YES, WE'RE THERE!!!
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2020 at 10:45am
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

To think that a manager with the experience and talent of Klopp would play a keeper who has just conceded a hat full of goals if he thought for a second that the keeper was the fault for all or many of those goals is laughable. Esp in a game they needed points in.  

A keeper can concede 7 goals and if not be his fault if the defence is having a nightmare.  

Liverpool put 7 past Roma (Alisson) in the CL and Klopp thought he was the best keeper in the world.

Exactly.  Kinda proves my point 
AKA pedantic kunt
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2020 at 10:59am

The minute trap junior was writing him off I knew he had a future in the game 
AKA pedantic kunt
BippityBoop View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BippityBoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2020 at 11:15am

The minute trap junior was writing him off I knew he had a future in the game 

By that logic we'd have a world class team by now.
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2020 at 11:16am
I recall Birmingham City were once hit for eight, with Randolph in goal, and the general view at the time was Randolph was the outstanding player on the pitch, and but for his efforts the scores would have been double figures, and might have even been double the final score.

Its easy to point fingers at keepers in heavy defeats, but in many cases, unless they are fumbling the ball through their hands, static for easy shots, punching the ball directly to attacking players etc, the chances are the midfield has failed in its duty to protect the defence, and in turn, the defence has failed to provide the safety valve, or is even contributing the the problems by imitating a Benny Hill sketch when defending.

Last season, West Ham signed a keeper named Roberto, as a replacement to Adrian. In combination, his precedence looked good, which included some big money transfers, clean sheets against Juventus in the CL, some honours, and membership of clubs like Athletico and Benfica. But when you scratched the surface, he was in fact a bit of a journeyman, who had peaks and troughs in terms of appearances, and a number of free transfers and loan were included in his travels. Its worth looking at footage of him in a West Ham shirt, as you'll see moments where he made some excellent stops, but on the whole was capable of making extraordinary mistakes that cost games, with things like poor positional choice, static movement, and some woeful handling errors.

My point is, pointing to the occasional mistake is one thing, and perhaps the statistics about saves made etc, are worth looking at before making a judgement call. Either way, last night was a good night for Irish football, at the end of what has been a very tough year.
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2020 at 12:35pm
As I posted elsewhere before wise words from Simon Smith 

Further to Hetfields post Shay Given once got man of the match in a game he conceded 5 against Liverpool 

Edited by lassassinblanc - 02 Dec 2020 at 12:37pm
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2020 at 12:39pm
Obviously his few saves etc got the headlines off the fans and the media but for me it was his distribution that was frighteningly good I am seriously not exaggerating when I say find me 5 goalkeepers in Europe with distribution that good you’d be a while finding them. If Kelleher can even end up only being a West Brom/Norwich level shot stopper etc he will play at a fair bit higher level then that due to his distribution. 

Ederson is actually an example of a keeper who is a poor shot stopper but his ability on the ball would see him as irreplaceable by Guardiola. In that sense it is very easy to see why Klopp loves him/rates him so highly.
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2020 at 12:54pm
Originally posted by kevin100 kevin100 wrote:

Obviously his few saves etc got the headlines off the fans and the media but for me it was his distribution that was frighteningly good I am seriously not exaggerating when I say find me 5 goalkeepers in Europe with distribution that good you’d be a while finding them. If Kelleher can even end up only being a West Brom/Norwich level shot stopper etc he will play at a fair bit higher level then that due to his distribution. 

Ederson is actually an example of a keeper who is a poor shot stopper but his ability on the ball would see him as irreplaceable by Guardiola. In that sense it is very easy to see why Klopp loves him/rates him so highly.

Jordan Pickford would fall into that category too, not great shot stopping wise but his distribution is what keeps him as England number one 
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2020 at 12:59pm
Its a real strange situation with goalkeepers when you look at it. 

For example-

A goalkeeper at Barcelona is unlikely to be called into a lot of saves per game as Barcelona generally keep the ball for long periods and are more likely to be the attacking team.

As the goalkeeper is not called to make that many saves, (barely any in a lot of cases) his ability as a reaction stopper is less to the forefront. He of course still needs to be competent.

His distribution then becomes more valuable and he is used as another 'footballer' on the pitch.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1819202122 173>
  Share Topic