You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Callum O Dowda

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 28293031>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darman28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2022 at 5:13pm
Originally posted by Technical_method Technical_method wrote:

Originally posted by darman28 darman28 wrote:

Originally posted by J89 J89 wrote:

Against Armenia at home can see Kenny sticking with 3-4-3 or 3-4-2-1. O'Dowda would likely be competing for one of the forward positions than LWB. Similar as Brady I think. Feel Kenny would see him more as an attacker supporting the CF rather than a LWB.

I'm just saying O'Dowd can be a option playing in the LWB as he has played there before for Bristol City and with our lack or options there. Stevens injured, Brady might not want to play international football anymore to prolong his playing career, Doherty can play there but he has only played 4 minutes of football so far this season. It is McCleans spot to lose really. But I think O'Dowda would offer more composure on the ball at LWB and another attacking outlet without taking a player from of central midfield.

TBH I can't see Kenny just starting the 3-4-3 again in this up coming window, as we got very exposed with just two central midfielders in the first two matches of the last window.

Mcclean has been brutal at LWB for ireland, not mccleans fault, he'd play in goal if he had to... 

but he's not.a good.defender at all, his strength is further up the field, that's were his best performances for ireland have been. People easily confuse a tough tackle with defending.

He's cost ireland a few goals defensively now under Kenny. Play him further up the field or not at all. 

Playing Doherty, odowda, manning or Brady at lwb would be much better.

We all know he is not the best defender but based on his last two performances for Ireland, were is was far from brutal, I think it is his place to lose. 

Edited by darman28 - 29 Aug 2022 at 5:23pm
Sponsored Links

Technical_method View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technical_method Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2022 at 6:20pm

Against Armenia at home can see Kenny sticking with 3-4-3 or 3-4-2-1. O'Dowda would likely be competing for one of the forward positions than LWB. Similar as Brady I think. Feel Kenny would see him more as an attacker supporting the CF rather than a LWB.

I'm just saying O'Dowd can be a option playing in the LWB as he has played there before for Bristol City and with our lack or options there. Stevens injured, Brady might not want to play international football anymore to prolong his playing career, Doherty can play there but he has only played 4 minutes of football so far this season. It is McCleans spot to lose really. But I think O'Dowda would offer more composure on the ball at LWB and another attacking outlet without taking a player from of central midfield.

TBH I can't see Kenny just starting the 3-4-3 again in this up coming window, as we got very exposed with just two central midfielders in the first two matches of the last window.

Mcclean has been brutal at LWB for ireland, not mccleans fault, he'd play in goal if he had to... 

but he's not.a good.defender at all, his strength is further up the field, that's were his best performances for ireland have been. People easily confuse a tough tackle with defending.

He's cost ireland a few goals defensively now under Kenny. Play him further up the field or not at all. 

We all know he is not the best defender but based on his last two performances for Ireland, were is was far from brutal, I think it is his place to lose. 

He was caught badly against Ukraine resulting in them scoring! So I'm not sure what you're talking about.

I think teams would target his defensive frailties and attack down our left more often. 

horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2022 at 6:24pm
He was poor against the Ukraine but had an excellent game against Scotland.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
darman28 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darman28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2022 at 6:38pm

He was caught badly against Ukraine resulting in them scoring! So I'm not sure what you're talking about.

I think teams would target his defensive frailties and attack down our left more often. 

I thought the whole Ireland defence were a shambles for the Ukraine goal. 
McClean wasn't solely responsible for it, yes he could have done better for stopping the cross but the centre backs were all over the place behind him to deal with it. O'Shea was just standing there ball watching marking nobody, Collins should have stayed central instead of being dragged left and Lenihan was marking 3 Ukrainian attackers
Technical_method View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technical_method Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2022 at 6:56pm
I won't disagree with you there Darman28
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2022 at 7:42pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

He was poor against the Ukraine but had an excellent game against Scotland.

He got badly done around the outside by Ralston at 0-0 in the Scotland game as well. Alan Browne rescued him with a good block.

Look, he absolutely is a defensive liability against better teams, but I still don't see anyone obviously better than him to play the position - so he still starts for now for me.
Greenie50 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greenie50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2022 at 5:55pm
Missed the last 2 games with injury.
Green Cockade View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Cockade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2022 at 7:58pm
Scores for Cardiff tonight after 4 mins, assist from Robinson

Edited by Green Cockade - 13 Sep 2022 at 7:58pm
Eoink21 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eoink21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2022 at 8:39pm
Robinson got another assist then after that. At least he will be ticking coming into the camp even if Obafemi isn't. 
TraphadBalls View Drop Down
Phil Babb
Phil Babb

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TraphadBalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2023 at 5:43pm
Delighted to see this man finally get off the mark!!
Kennycandoit
Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2023 at 5:51pm
Comes across a as good lad too

The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2024 at 2:42pm
Late winner vs Ipswich, came on with about 20 to go and made a good impact.
We're decent enough..
Green Cockade View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Cockade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2024 at 2:50pm
He was impressive when he came on and won the game for them. Good to see him back.
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2024 at 3:34pm
Sick note 
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

King_Kenny View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King_Kenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2024 at 4:55pm
[QUOTE=Green Cockade]He was impressive when he came on and won the game for them. Good to see him back.[/QUOTE
If we are  looking to make any type of progress this fella shouldn’t be in the conversation.
Conan View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan
I’m not very bright.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2024 at 7:30pm
Still the second best attacking left back we've got (though really more a winger) so worth a place in the squad on that basis. Hidalgo-Mcginty doesn't suit our formation and will likely develop in to a centre back
ProudIrish View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProudIrish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2024 at 8:00pm
[QUOTE=Conan]Still the second best attacking left back we've got (though really more a winger) so worth a place in the squad on that basis. Hidalgo-Mcginty doesn't suit our formation and will likely develop in to a centre back[/QUOTE
You’re joking right ? Left back. He played there once I remember and he was f**king atrocious 
Here we go again, we're on the road again
Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2024 at 9:29pm
Originally posted by ProudIrish ProudIrish wrote:

Originally posted by Conan Conan wrote:

Still the second best attacking left back we've got (though really more a winger) so worth a place in the squad on that basis. Hidalgo-Mcginty doesn't suit our formation and will likely develop in to a centre back
You’re joking right ? Left back. He played there once I remember and he was f**king atrocious 

Played there a couple times and was alright bar Greece away when he had a mare but so did everyone else on the pitch that night to be fair.

Would agree though hes far more effective higher up the field and would only have him at LWB again in the case of an injury crisis.

Edited by Bandwagon - 09 Mar 2024 at 9:30pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 28293031>
  Share Topic